LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My first LLMD visit was fantastic and 6 hours long!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My first LLMD visit was fantastic and 6 hours long!
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the email that I sent to my family and friends tonight after my first LLMD appt today:

Today was my first appt with my lyme literate MD (LLMD).
My appt was 6 hours long! It was very thorough. The Dr and
his wife (the nurse)and their 2 sons, all have lyme.

He confirmed that I had correctly interpreted my Igenex
western blot and I have lyme disease (Borrelia burgdorferi
infection). I have had it for at least 21 years.

For the last 21 years my symptoms were called
fibromyalgia. Dr's tell patients that the cause of
fibromyalgia is
unknown and they treat only the symptoms. I always knew it
was an infectious cause...just had to find the right one.

I now know that lyme disease is the cause of my symptoms.

I had blood drawn today for testing for other tick borne
infections through Igenex lab, plus other labwork.

It is common to have other tick borne infections such as
babesiosis, bartonella, ehrlichia, anaplasma, rocky mt
spotted fever, etc.

It is very possible that I have babesiosis because of the
severe insomnia where one's mind races and won't turn off.

I had an EKG today and I have a right bundle branch block
which is an electrical conduction disorder of the right
ventricle. It won't kill me. It is possible that it could
resolve with my lyme treatment, but no guarantee.
Conduction disorders are common with lyme.

I got prescriptions for 3 different antibiotics which I
started taking tonight. I am taking doxycycline,
hydroxychloroquine (plaquenil), and azithromycin
(zithromax).

A person is infected with lyme for life. It is very hard
to kill the bacteria especially because it can hide in
every organ and tissue of one's body and it can morph into
cyst forms with no cell walls. The cyst forms are not
affected by the antibiotics.

The goal is to eradicate it to the point where it will not
cause symptoms. Months of antibiotic treatment are
required.

If I have babesiosis I will have to take Mepron, an
antimalarial drug.

Along with the antibiotic treatment, it is required that
one follows a certain diet: no simple sugars, no processed
foods, no fried foods, no pasta, rice, etc.

Basically I have to eat 1/3 protein at each meal and 2/3
carbohydrates that are low on the glycemic index, plus a
little healthy fat such as olive oil. Must eat 5-6 times
daily which I already do.

The lyme bacteria thrives on sugar, including foods that
easily break down into simple sugars....bread, pasta, etc.
Usually people crave the very thing that the bacteria need
to thrive.

It is expected that my symptoms will worsen before they
get better. This is known as a Jarisch-Herxheimer
reaction. When the lyme bacterial spirochetes start to die
off they release endotoxins which worsen one's symptoms.
It's hard to say how long this will last.

There are also some supplements that I have to take:

sublingual melatonin and oral melatonin, probiotics, high
doses of fish oil, 5 HTP, L-theanine, protein powder that
you make into shakes with fruit, and creatine powder.

Exercise is also important, which I already do.

I will have follow up visits every 4 weeks until I am
stable...maybe 6 months, then less often.

These are just some of the diagnoses that people have been
given mistakenly when they actually had lyme:

fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, multiple
sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, ALS (Lou Gehrig's
disease), Parkinson's disease, ADHD, Autism, Bipolar
disorder, anxiety and panic attacks, depression, colitis,
Crohns disease, etc.

The possible symptoms are many. They can range from muscle
pain and stiffness or joint pain, to fatigue, insomnia,
irritable bladder, migraines, chronic sinus infections,
rashes, sound/light/smell/or taste sensitivity, trigeminal
neuralgia, bell's palsy, numbness or tingling, stabbing
pain or a pins and needles feeling, blurred vision or
floaters, anxiety, depression, palpitations, swollen
glands, back pain, difficulty thinking, memory problems,
word search/name block, forgetfulness, tremors, seizures,
ear pain, sore soles, sore throat, off balance/tippy
feeling, hearing problems, vertigo, dental pain, neck
creaks and cracks, neck stiffness and pain, nausea,
constipation or diarrhea, chest wall pain or sore ribs,
head congestion, unexplained chronic cough, air hunger,
night sweats, muscle twitches and others.

It is important to note that different people have
different symptoms. You don't need to have all of these
symptoms to have lyme or other tick borne infections.

My main symptoms are insomnia, neck and shoulder stiffness
and pain, lower back stiffness and pain, fatigue, mild
sound and light sensitivity, forgetfulness, all-over
muscular pain and stiffness, pins and needles and stabbing
sensations, night sweats, muscle twitches, etc.

I also believe that my daughter and some other people I know
have lyme. My daughter's main symptoms are overwhelming
fatigue, insomnia, migraines, trigeminal neuralgia,
chronic sinus infections, irritable bladder, muscle
twitches, etc.

It seems that Dr's will only diagnosis and treat each
symptom and they never recognize the big picture as
possible lyme and other tick borne illnesses.

Lyme is an unrecognized epidemic. There are many, many people who have it and just haven't been diagnosed properly.

PA is an endemic state, along with NY, MD, CT, NJ, DE, etc.

Many of the young ticks are the size of a poppy seed, so you will never notice them. The adults are bigger.

There are alot of great online resources....just a few are:

www.lymediseaseassociation.org

www.lymenet.org

www.ilads.org

I know this is very long...thanks for reading it.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you finally got some answers and you are beginning treatment. Best of luck to you!!
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks seekhelp! It feels great to be starting treatment!!

--------------------

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad you finally found out what is wrong with you. Very well written post!
Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Parisa! I am glad too!

Now I feel like I have alot of work to do...educating the public and health care providers in my community.

--------------------

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's hard to educate those who won't take the earplugs out. [Frown]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Seekhelp,

You are right about that! I hope to buy the DVD "Under Our Skin" and arrange a showing, get a couple good speakers and then do alot of advertising to get people there.

My LLMD gave me the names of some people I can try to arrange as speakers.

I hope it works out.

--------------------

Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spoke with your MD a few months ago, and he is the real deal--friendly and knowledgeable...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmandaM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmandaM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see you live on the East coast. Would you be able to PM me your doctor? What does he charge for an appointment?

--------------------
IgeneX Positive
IgM: 30 +, 31 ++, 34 +, 39 IND, 41 IND
IgG: 31 +++, 34 IND, 39 IND, 41 +++

Rocephin / Zithromax / Supps

Posts: 107 | From Plainview, New York | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know that having insomnia at night with the racing mind can be attributed to babesia. Has anyone else heard this?
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dekrator48:

Seekhelp,

You are right about that! I hope to buy the DVD "Under Our Skin" and arrange a showing, get a couple good speakers and then do alot of advertising to get people there.

My LLMD gave me the names of some people I can try to arrange as speakers.

I hope it works out.

go to www.underourskin.com or org...can't remember

ORDER NOW!! they are stopping MARCH 15 !! of this and scheduling local filmings around the usa.

end of MARCH, NYC will premiere UOS ON "BIG SCREEN" ... they are working on having it shown in larger cities around usa.

SO ORDER IT NOW!!

you can also view the current schedule of screenings coming up until MARCH 15 deadline!

i just saw that iowa was having one in grinnell jan. 24 ... news to me! no one has posted it here so i'll let those who decided to do have that pleasure!

outstanding letter to family/friends/us!

1 thing; ALL 50 STATES ARE ENDEMIC! all have lyme. ****************************************

endemic means 2 people in SAME COUNTY/STATE have been diagnosed w/lyme or co-infection.

i didn't know this either on terminology until 1 of members wrote about it! [Smile] so don't feel bad; i'm still learning after 4.5 yrs. here!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm happy for you! Wishing you all the best with your treatment! You are going to be a great advocate! [Smile]
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scared08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scared08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dekrator48:

[woohoo]
I am so happy for you!!! It feels so good to FINALLY talk to a Dr. that gives you his full attention, understands, gives you a diagnosis with a treatment, and validates all of the confusing symptoms that you've been having for years, huh!!!!!! Good for you!!

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to save the letter you wrote; it really was wonderfully writtin!!

Please keep us all posted on how you're doing. You may need support and have many questions as you get into your treatment. Please post away as you probaby already know, there are so many wonderful people here for you!

I am sorry about your daughter. How old is she?? Do you plan to have her tested soon?

You and yours will be in my prayers and I'm so happy the you found a good LLMD!!

Posts: 351 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenin98
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you email your doc?
Jenin

Posts: 455 | From Maryland | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Thanks lymeorsomething!

I was very impressed with the Dr's and nurse's (his wife) knowledge, patience and compassion.

He is highly recommended by me!

--------------------

Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Hi AmandaM and jenin98,

I sent you a PM.

take care!

--------------------

Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Hoosiers51,

Hi, it will be interesting to see how my co-infection testing turns out, not that it's always accurate.

My mind has only been racing for about 1 year, before that I could usually get to sleep at the beginning of the night, then awaken frequently and have trouble getting back to sleep.

My daughter also has the racing mind/insomnia.

Maybe a separate post on the subject would get more responses.

take care!

--------------------

Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Thanks, for all the info bettyg! I better get that DVD soon.

take care!

--------------------

Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Hi Scared08,

Thanks for your kind words.

My daughter is 29 yrs old. I think she has also had lyme for many years...probably at least 15.

I am going to her PCP appt with her on Feb 12 to explain why she needs an order for an Igenex western blot. She has an open minded PCP, so I don't think it will be a problem.

I will definitely keep everyone updated.

Thanks for your support.

take care!

--------------------

Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Robin123,

Thanks for your support and kind words!!!

take care!

--------------------

hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you found a very good Dr and got some good advice and treatment to start.

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

I too am interested in the LLMD's name, charges, etc. [Smile]
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on starting treatment! Sounds like you have a great llmd.

Best wishes for your improved health and thanks for the thorough posting. I have gained much of my health back after years of untreated lyme and babesia through treatment. Patience and lots of probiotics are needed for effective lyme treatment!

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
venus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for venus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

As Hoosier51 said, I didn't know those were symptoms of babesia. I was fairly certain that was bartonella much more so. That is at least what two LLMD have told me, and what I am being treated for more agressively.

I didn't test positive for any co-infections, but my doctor really thinks with the my cognitive problems that it is bartonella.

Best of luck. That was a great, clear e-mail.
KMM

--------------------
Severe neurological problems. Probably sick for years. Became chronically sick in Aug 2007. Undiagnosed for another 15 months. Started treatment for lyme and bart Sept. 2008. Improving, but very slowly.

Posts: 515 | From washington dc | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great letter-I may copy it, change the symptoms and send it to some of my friends!

Dekrator48 -Can you please PM me your doctors name? Thanks

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Hi everyone,

hcconnzz: thanks, I think my LLMD is great!!!!!!

seekhelp: I sent you a PM

Vermont_Lymie: thanks for the good wishes and I'm glad you are doing so well!

venus: thanks, I'm anxious to see if he thinks I have babesia or not.

beths: feel free to use my letter and adapt it to your situation. I sent you a PM.

take care everyone!

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!! You're on your way to recovery! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did you say six hours? man, he's great.

i hope you do well on treatment and keep us informed.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dek, you know it's been a LONG TIME since we've had an upper post like yours on your 1st appt. with llmd !!!

so glad you shared it and a pm with me! [Smile] xox

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Thanks randibear, lymetoo and bettyg!!!

I feel lucky to be only 2 1/4 hrs away from such a great LLMD!

--------------------

FancyRatFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FancyRatFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you have a great find with your LLMD. He sounds very knowledgeable. I'm impressed you recalled all that information enough to share with us.

I was completely overwhelmed with my first visit and it wasn't nearly as long as yours.

I needed some of the points you made reiterated to me so thank you so much.

I know what a good feeling it is to be in the hands of someone capable and your LLMD sounds very capable.

congrats,

Fancy

Posts: 258 | From San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who did you end up seeing? I'm always looking for reports on LLMD's. PM me. [Smile]

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Thanks FancyRatFan! I think I am lucky to have him for my LLMD.

Metallic Blue, I sent you a PM.

--------------------

METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got it. Great, this is the first report for this doctor! I'm very happy about the positive result. His treatment plan for you is very good.

What is the specialty? Emergency?

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

He used to be in Emergency Medicine but had to quit for 5 years when he was disabled in a wheelchair from Lyme.

Now he looks very healthy and treats just lyme patients.

--------------------

METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

This guy sounds really good. I need to find more reports on him. I don't have a lot of significantly competent people around your area. Obviously there are some, but your experience is on par with what I've seen from the best specialists further north.

--------------------

PinchotGail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5066

Icon 12 posted      Profile for PinchotGail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great report!! I know who you are seeing, and he is amazing!!! So glad you got into see him. How long did you have to wait if I can ask?? Helpful for me to know down her in S.C. PA......

Thanks!!!

Gail
York Pa Lyme

--------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an
indomitable will ~ Gandhi

Posts: 562 | From Wellsville, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heatherliveswithlyme
Member # 14890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heatherliveswithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dekrater,

Good for you and horay for your wonderful LLMD.

It's so nice to read good news. Hope you start to get releif soon.

--------------------
Suffering too many years to count. Can't remember anyway!!!!

Posts: 46 | From It's News to Jersey | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

MetallicBlue: I think he's worth his weight in gold. His wife, the nurse, is great too. They told me to call them at home anytime if I need anything and gave me their #.

PinchotGail: I only waited 2 weeks to get in for an appt.

Heatherliveswithlyme: Thanks! I wish everyone had such a great LLMD!

--------------------

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whoa! i can't believe you wrote that letter after a 6 hr appt

your adrenelyn (sp) must be flowin

i remember when i got my first dx after 15 yrs of "fibro"---i was so happy too. you know better than i did that the hard work begins now and it won't be an overnight fix

i also have lived yrs with family in denial

i also would like to be able to copy that letter...did the info in it all come from the doc or is some your own research? so well written...

wonderful story and hopeful that good docs are starting ainstead of quitting lyme tx

thank you for sharing

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

lpkayak,

Most of the info in my email was from the Dr and his nurse, but some was from my research.

Yes, I think my adrenaline was flowing, along with my insomnia.

I tried to pm you, but your mailbox is full.

feel free to use my letter.

take care,
Dekrator48

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement