LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Swim instructor Kurt Billing dies at 47

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Swim instructor Kurt Billing dies at 47
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swim instructor Kurt Billing dies at 47
By Brendan O'Reilly

Kurt Hilding Billing, a fixture in Southampton who gave swimming lessons at Big Fresh Pond, Wyandanch Beach and in backyard pools to hundreds--perhaps thousands--of local children over the years, took his own life on February 3 at his home in North Sea. He was 47.

Mr. Billing suffered from Lyme disease for the past 10 years, the symptoms of which include depression and confusion. He had been symptom free for years, but late last fall he had a relapse, his family said.

Born on January 24, 1962, Mr. Billing was known by many as ``Nature,'' a nickname picked up during his high school years that followed him throughout life. He graduated from Southampton High School in 1980 and went on to earn a business degree from the University of Richmond in Virginia.

After college, Mr. Billing spent a couple years traveling the country and did a stint as a computer salesman in Washington. When he returned home to Southampton in 1986, he took over the family swimming instruction business from his sister, Donna Billing, who had taken it over from their mother, Florence, who started it more than 40 years ago. Florence Binning passed the business to her children so she could open four women's clothing stores--Billing's Lingerie Shop, Billing's Country Shop, Billing's Bridal Salon and Lady Billing, all in Southampton Village--which Mr. Billing helped manage.

Mr. Billing learned to swim while tagging along at his mother's swimming classes. He could swim all the way across Big Fresh Pond when he was just 6 years old, his sister, Diane McGann, recalled on Monday.

``You could tell it was a passion, and he was just good at it,'' Ms. McGann said. ``He knew how to read a student, and he knew just how far to push to get results. ... It built up their self-esteem.''

Most of the swimming classes were held at the same Billing-family lake-front property on Big Fresh Pond where his mother had first given lessons.

``He was a strong believer in teaching at the lake,'' Ms. McGann said. She explained that he wanted new swimmers to learn to be comfortable swimming long distances in open water.

``He was more than a `swim instructor.''' Donna Billing's husband, Alex Oliva, said. ``He took it to the highest degree.''

Mr. Billing's catch phrase was ``Keep up the good work,'' and he didn't just say it to his students. Ms. Billing said he would say that to her every time he got off the telephone with her.

Their brother had a ``big kid'' personality, which he got from their late father, Hilding ``Hank'' Kurt Billing, the sisters said.

``He had this huge enthusiasm and excitement for life,'' Ms. Billing said of her brother. She said every outing with Mr. Billing, whether it be hiking or ice skating, was a grand event. ``He just made it like the biggest adventure in the world,'' she said.

Mr. Billing had a passion for travel. He has been to all 50 states, South Africa, Australia, Nepal and the Scandinavian countries, including Sweden, where he visited distant relatives. He was also an avid photographer and documented his journeys. ``He has a huge collection of slides,'' Ms. Billing said.

Mr. Billing was also a preservationist. He got his start at 24 years old, when he took out a $25,000 personal loan to help preserve an $85,000 1-acre parcel on Big Fresh Pond that he brought to the attention of the Peconic Land Trust.

``That was really inspiring for a young person to devote that kind of money,'' Peconic Land Trust President John v.H. Halsey said Monday.

Mr. Billing became a member of the Peconic Land Trust's stewardship committee and fought to preserve Tuckahoe Woods in North Sea.

``He knew that part of North Sea like the back of his hand,'' Mr. Halsey said. ``He spent a lot of time as a boy running through those woods.''

On top of swimming lessons and his traveling, Mr. Billing was a caddy at National Golf Links of America in Southampton, a motocross rider and a volunteer forest-fire fighter.

According to his family, Mr. Billing bought a home in Oregon two years ago, with plans to start a business as a trail guide when he wasn't in Southampton giving swimming lessons. Many of Mr. Billing's plans had been put on hold though, so he could care for his mother, who had a stroke in January 2007.

Mr. Billing is survived by his four sisters, Donna Billing and husband Alex Oliva of Delray Beach, Florida; Diane McGann and husband Anthony McGann of Port Washington; Lin White and husband William White of Southampton; and Lorri Billing and husband Joseph Walker of Southampton. He is also survived by his mother, Florence, and his nieces and nephews, Joseph, Morgan, Ashley, Brittan, Sandro, Elizabeth and Katherine.

A wake was held on Friday, February 6, at Brockett Funeral Home in Southampton. A funeral service was held the next day at Southampton United Methodist Church, followed by interment at Southampton Cemetery.

Letters of condolence may be sent to Kurt Billing Remembered, 101 Big Fresh Pond Road, Southampton, New York 11968. A memorial website is located at kurtbilling.com.

In lieu of flowers, the family said it would appreciate donations in Mr. Billing's memory to Peconic Land Trust, 296 Hampton Road, P.O. Box 1776, Southampton, New York 11969, peconiclandtrust.org, or to Lyme disease research.
Last Updated Feb 9, 09 6:59 PM

http://www.27east.com/story_detail.cfm?id=194368

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like he was the kind of man that the world needs more of.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second Lou...what a shame.

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oyyyyyy, this is no good...

i just hope he went peacefully.

Posts: 570 | From philadelphia, pa | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear this!! What a shame. I hope he's found peace.

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
REST IN PEACE KURT BILLING! [group hug] [kiss]

wow, kurt, what a legacy you left for your family! i so enjoyed reading your interesting life of being on the go everywhere but also on preserving the LAND.

my heartfelt sympathies to your family kurt! you could tell how much they loved you from all the interesting things in your obituary, etc.

i'm so sorry you suffered with chronic lyme disease and/or co-infections like the rest of us.

your obituary is the 2nd i'm reading today of also another 47 yr. old woman with long-time lyme!

please keep cheering us all on to get into our lyme remissions but most importantly, that we can get:

.. CONGRESS to pass our lyme bills,

.. cdc to recoginize the wrong they did by accepting IDSA's flawed 06 guidelines with "conflicts on interest", and

.. for us to get health insurance companies to pay THEIR FAIR SHARE like they do for cancer and hiv/aids patients!

i never knew you personally, but kurt, you're my kind of guy! RIP KURT! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

i was so impressed by this touching tribute obituary, i just emailed his family with the email shown above. it took me to his site showing some photos and WHERE IS KURT? comments, photos, and where he was, etc.

you could then email from that point!

i hope others like me who did NOT know him will just write a few lines from us, the lyme community! [Smile] thanks all and melanie for posting.

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Augh, this is depressing....

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeparfait
Unregistered

My heart goes out to Kurt's friends and family!

We are a family of swimmers, and we are a family

with lyme.

Our prayers are with his family and pray his story

will open the eyes of others and save lives.

Lymeparfait

DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...i certainly feel for his family and selfishly this story scares the cr@p out of me.

Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GIGI:
Why do you need to post these sad news in medical. It doesn't help anybody one iota. It does the opposite by creating more negative biochemical reactions because that is what these type messages do. We all are aware that the world has a problem with Lyme and don't need more of it every morning when we are trying to clear our mind and are desperate for positive words.

Please put these posts where they belong or in the category where they serve a good purpose.

Good morning Gigi,

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion on this, and I suppose if you and others felt strongly enough, you could also complain to LouB.

It is not that I need to place some things in medical...It is a choice.

Personally, I am of the opinion that we should all be aware of the complete picture with these diseases, mental, physical and otherwise. If you notice, I post many medical abstracts, articles and stories of success as well. But to ignore, hide or brush aside a very real consequence such as death would be to deny the seriousness associated with Tickborne diseases.

There are many posts here daily that I am not too fond of reading about either...however, that does not mean the problems don't exist. I feel more empowered having been made aware of the problems, even if they do not yet apply directly to me or a loved one.

I would hope that we don't begin to place restrictions on any of the issues surrounding these diseases even if they do make some uncomfortable.

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the real lyme & company world today. Yes it is depressing, but it's for real.

Sometimes reading other people's posts about their lives is depressing. There is NOTHING
pretty about this whole mess.

Sometimes it's really hard to find positives when our world is such a struggle. Especially when some of us have little or no support from medical community, family, friends etc.

It's real. I call it a war. But my positive spin is I will win this war.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen to that Map.

RIP Mr. Billings.

--------------------
When the going gets tough. . . I'll keep fighting!
Ms. Geet3721

New LLMD, New abx, New life coming right up!!!!

Posts: 714 | From La La Lyme Land | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank-you, Melanie, for your post.

I get asked many times if Lyme can be fatal.

There are those who are of the opinion that Lyme is no big deal and will not seek proper medical care.

Sometimes a reality check is all that is necessary for them to begin their journey to wellness.

This is sad and these posts ARE sad but then, life is not always a one-way street.

My deepest sympathy to this person's family and friends. May he rest in peace.

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PinchotGail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinchotGail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no not another one!!! Yes I agree what an amazing man. The obit only gave us a glimpse of this man. So sad.......

Gail

--------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an
indomitable will ~ Gandhi

Posts: 562 | From Wellsville, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May his family and friends be comforted in their dark hours ahead.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

SURPRISE TONIGHT!

I heard back from Kurt's closest friend!!

"Dear Betty,

Thank you for seeking out someone you didn't know but did know his suffering.

Yes I have learned a lot more about Lyme's in the recent weeks and realize how tragic it can be. I was a close friend of Kurt's and can attest to his degrading condition over a 10 year period.

Kurt had some other challenges in his life which also put pressure on him however I truly believe if the lymes component was taken out of his life, he would still be here.

I will post a link to your suggestions in your email.

May I use some of your email to comment about the disease?

all the best and I wish you well.

May God bless you,

David Corwith"

wasn't that wonderful!

to the swimmer who contacted me privately, i stated david would be hearing from you too!

betty [Smile]

i feel good i took the time to write kurt's family as a total stranger; and got the above in return. [Smile]

editing; i just sent this direct link to his friend, david for his/family's info!!

[ 02-15-2009, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: bettyg ]

bettyg
Unregistered

up; this got buried on page 2 already and most have not seen or read this update! [Smile] betty
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mel, thanks for posting. May this man rest in peace. I don't know what other challenges he was facing, but it's so important to understand the seriousness of this disease and not be ashamed to reach out to others when we're at our lowest. My condolences to his family and friends.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good job Betty!

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

thanks lauren! [Smile]
shelly23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shelly23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do we know what the offical causes was due to heart nero or other??

--------------------
Shelly
~ IGM~Positive
CDC Positive
23-25 +
31+++
34++
41+

I am a Dreamer, Believer, and Conquer; I will overcome this disease !!!

Posts: 382 | From Alabama Via PA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmandaM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmandaM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shelly -- I believe he took his own life.

[Frown]

Posts: 107 | From Plainview, New York | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

update, i got this today, 2-17-09, from kurt's best friend, david:

"Hi Betty,

I will talk to the family and figure out how I want to connect Kurt's legacy to his tragedy (Lyme).

I will respect your request regarding privacy due to the "trolls" you speak of. I'm not suprised.

I wish you all the best and keep up the crusade.
regards,
Dave

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement