LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How many of you became sick at the peak of your physical fitness?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How many of you became sick at the peak of your physical fitness?
btmb03
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering if there's any connection between fitness level/stress and this illness.

I'm talking about sudden onset - you know, working out one minute, bizarre symptoms, sick another.

I recall reading something about suceptibility to HGE and levels of cholesterol, wondered why so many of us were at the "peak" of physical performance then crashed.

Any insight?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Me.
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did too.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asummers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asummers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same happended to me! I was a marathon runner and had the best racing season of my life. Right before I got sick I had a physical and my cholesterol jumped 40 pts - really weird b/c I was eating healthy and exercising. Now I am lucky if I can jog a mile.
Posts: 379 | From Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hezzer926
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hezzer926     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
same thing happened to me.. ran my all time longest distance.. 11.5 miles and towards the last minute , crashed and wasnt the same since...
Posts: 245 | From East Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a bodybuilder and runner. My disease manifested immediately though the decline in severity grew and was intensified severely by exercise.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, me too! I'd just competed in the State Track meet in the 4X400 the month before I got sick, also was a competitive gymnast, cross country, ect.

This is so sad that this has happened to so many others, it was just devestating to me (course that was just the physical, THEN the anxiey and depression slapped me flat).

take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
venus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for venus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto. Ran a 1/2 marathon, and then became sick.

--------------------
Severe neurological problems. Probably sick for years. Became chronically sick in Aug 2007. Undiagnosed for another 15 months. Started treatment for lyme and bart Sept. 2008. Improving, but very slowly.

Posts: 515 | From washington dc | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thread. This is the first I've heard of a physical fitness connection.

I was doing heavy aerobics 3-4 X's per week when I got sick. I also hiked and played sports. I was very muscular and in great shape.

The first thing I noticed (besides bizarre weight gain and no periods) was that during work outs, my pulse would climb very high. Something that hadn't happened before. I think my blood pressure was falling at the same time but I didn't know it then.

There could be several other reasons that I got sick though. I had a lot of dental work the year before when I had almost no dental fillings before that.

My company moved into a new building that I swore had mold problems. They left the panels off the celing in my office for a long time which I thought might be making me sick.

I was also under a lot of personal stress during that time.

Terry

[ 02-17-2009, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: TerryK ]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landerss
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landerss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too - had just geared up after turning 40 for Masters Cross Country and then fell ill...

--------------------
Increasingly ill over past 10 yrs; treating since October '08.

Posts: 180 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Hmmm..extremely interesting posts. Someone (I think on this board but I might be wrong) had posted an article about CFS and Lyme patients being couch potatoes *before* getting sick.

NO WAY I wanted to shout - you guys were super athletic, leading full and active lives.

There *got* to be some connection - I've never heard it mentioned in articles..maybe intense exercise is like stress..too much cortisol or some other connection makes us succeptible?

Keep the responses coming guys, it inspires everyone else too to know they're in the same boat...when I see someone "power walking" I could just cry...but I guess that's normal.

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too...ruined my life back in '97 IF Lyme is the cause. Had Mono in Nov 1996 and life sucked afterwards....just lost a ton of weight and worked out 6-7 days a week then. So depressing. [Frown]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is the stress connection. I was also active, not to the extreme, but I walked and played golf; but I also had an extreme amount of stress going on in my life at the time.

I was pushing myself in so many ways back then, working 8 hours a day, playing golf every weekend, renevating the house, travelling and also dealing with a problem adult child. But I felt good physically and then wham! Woke up one morning ill!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jocus20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep same thing for me. I was very physically active playing sports or working out almost every day.

I was in college at the time living a not so healthy lifestyle of beer and more beer but i was still working out and playing sports more than i ever had before in my life.

It makes you wonder.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jocus20

also check out my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jocus20

Posts: 248 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seek,

Weird because I have read of several people in OH/MI area who got sick in 1996 (me included) and were diagnosed with 'Mono', then later learned that it was Lyme.

Was there something going on that year/summer with the ticks?

Man, it sucks so bad that I can't do anything anymore. Over the years, my mom and sister (both runners) would tell me I just needed to get out and exercise, course we didn't know it was Lyme.

I hate this so much, having a rotten self pity party today.

take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luluMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luluMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same here!!

I had just completed the 3 day breast cancer walk, 60 miles, and then shortly after ~got sick.

However, I was also pushing my self to be perfect! I was the energizer bunny, not resting until EVERYTHING was perfect and complete in my (and my kids) world!

High self-induced stress was what caused my finaly downfall in Dec. '06..

Never the same since! There's GOT to be a connection!

Posts: 232 | From MN | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a bodybuilder.

I think that training, aerobic or anaerobic, when done at too high a level of intensity, keeps the immune system on a very delicate high wire. All it takes an additional stressor, be it overtraining or a physical or emotional insult, and you are in big trouble.

In my observation, way too many Lymies and CSFers were serious athletes of one sort or another for this to be coincidence.

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Ocean and others - with the validation of blaringly positive lyme tests, has that not helped any? The rest of us have dealt with clinical dx often misdiagnosed for years...the usual..EBV, etc.

I know someone is going to come along and say the reasons are probably multi-factorial. True, but then what about say medical interns/residents who get NO sleep, are stressed out, juggling often large student loans, personal lives, etc...

There's got to be something perhaps genetic that is triggered say like MS (recent discovery) where they found a gene on a particular chromosome that got activated in the presence of low Vit D3..leading to demylineation...

To everyone, this thread was not meant to be a downer, we do forget that many, many people have recovered their "lost" lives though perhaps at another level. That might be the key. To be functional..and HAPPY???

jmb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After a personal record pace in a road race I felt "off." Over the next month all hell broke loose. It could be a while before I nail another PR, as Lyme and Co. is a different kind of marathon.

--------------------
enjoy the day.

-jmb

Posts: 208 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, indeed the connection between physical and emotional stress is paramount. But exposure plays a role too; when I trained for adventure races trail ultra-marathons, I trained in the woods for 20 hours a week or more.

--------------------
enjoy the day.

-jmb

Posts: 208 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same for me. I was working out 1 to 2 hours daily, aerobics as well as weight lifting before this all happened. I loved exercising and always made it a point to get to the gym. I was physically fit and toned nicely. Now.... not so much... confined to the bed and/or couch after so long will do that to you. [Frown] Fortunately, I am doing much better but still have a hard time exercising.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try to stay positive. It's hard because you don't see a lot of success here. The people who do (Groovy2) almost died to get it...250+ BPM heart rate, 89 deg temps, etc. Scary!!
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingattitude
Member # 17569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingattitude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wilderness Instructor

in great physical and mental condition one day, the next day floored...for the next 2 1/2 years and counting...

--------------------
-Love and Gratitude

Posts: 69 | From another planet far far away | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
radfaraf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radfaraf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was and still am very tall and skinny, seems impossible for me to gain weight. Never did much physical activity. Before I got sick I was running 2-3 times a week in the gym for a mile or two. For me I was in the best shape I ever was at the time. When I got sick I continued this for about a year without any improvements in performance and eventually just stopped because it was too much effort.
Posts: 526 | From NJ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landerss
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landerss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, it *is* interesting to hear all these stories of highly fit athletes getting this illness!

But it still makes me wonder - like many of you, I have so many super athletic friends in this endemic area (PA) who run many marathons & ultras per year and have stressful careers as doctors/lawyers/academics/etc, but they're seemingly fine. There must be some genetic component to being able to withstand the stresses of training & life...

--------------------

Posts: 180 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I agree with jmb, being outdoors where we are exposed to ticks is a factor. Then there are those of us who were infected years before we became severely ill and something triggered the infection.

seek said:
It's hard because you don't see a lot of success here.

I don't agree. It does take a long time for some of us to see improvement but most seem to have varying degrees of improvmenet. Stick around, you'll see more as time goes by.

Here is a thread with some but I have seen others that were not captured in this thread.
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/15820

Not true.

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hezzer926
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hezzer926     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the day this all happened was my personal best running day... 11.5 miles.. at the last quarter mile, i got dizzy and exhausted for the whole night afterwards.. all downhill since then.. that was july 31st , this past summer
Posts: 245 | From East Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wimenin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wimenin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its my opinion that its a weakened immune system start up. Whether you were working out heavily bodybuilding, doing a marathon, working 60+ hrs at your job, or recovering from another injury or surgery.

The Bb comes out when you're at your weakest, similiar to mono, EBV, zoster/shingles/chicken pox. Which would explain why someone may be bit one day, but not see the symptoms for months, years later, till the immune system is struggling.

For me, it was right after acl knee surgery, I was very active, doing rehab for the knee multiple times a day, then wham...it hit me the day before thanksgiving...and I havent been the same since.

If the brain endured heavy swelling, encephalitis, meningitis from the Bb, then the recovery of the cns/neuro lyme is even longer. The ease of which Bb can make it past the bbb, during surgery, taking meds that cross the bbb, just be permeation is strong...

I dont really think there is a cut and dry formula for who, what, where, how, when for lyme. ...although the suppressed immune system theory I believe in seems to be the most logical explanation.

Which therein lies the key to recovery..improvemetn of the immune system to the point of the body being able to not only recognize, but also fight the Bb longterm, even when someone has a flu, cold or other physical ailment. However, because youre already weakened, its hard to build back up the immune system without going backwards in recovery. Two steps forward, one step back..

Posts: 514 | From . | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

This might explain part of what happens with a heart under stress during a time of infection:

--------

http://www.ott.zynet.co.uk/polio/lincolnshire/library/uk/post-me.html

or http://tinyurl.com/33rxy8

[Post-polio expert] Dr. [Richard] Bruno points out that physical over-activity is the biggest cause of post-polio symptoms. [3] (See Dr. Bruno's "Fainting and Fatigue" in the Spring 1996 CFIDS Chronicle, page 37.)

EXCERPT:

when mice infected with Coxsackie B3 were forced to swim in a warm pool, the virulence of the virus was drastically augmented.

In fact, viral replication was augmented 530 times. This did horrendous things to the animals' hearts.

We all know that to play squash with the flu can lead to heart attacks. Much the same danger can be courted by undertaking hard exercise with M.E. [what CFS is called in the UK.]

. . . . Cont'd at link above.

============================

The most recent treatment guidelines by Dr. Burrascano (October, 2008):

http://www.betterhealthguy.com/images/stories/PDF/LYMDXRX2008-October.pdf

The HPA axis (Adrenal stuff) is discussed on p. 4

Rehabilitation is outlined on P. 30 - 31

==============================

Mitochondrial dysfunction can be a huge factor in lyme. Lyme damages mitochondra. So, as the mitochondria are the tiny energy centers of our cells, this presents a huge factor for energy output.

There are some things to help the mitochondria. Magnesium in one of those. D-Ribose is another. Hawthorn, too, as it helps the heart.

For more about mitochondria, you can search articles at: www.vrp.com and the CFIDS Chronicle as they have had excellent articles about that.

============================

This thread also has some great information about what might be happening to the heart function of some patients who struggle with fatigue (and what can help).

There is a 3 hour video - you can watch free on your computer and many articles at this thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77325

Topic: To everyone with cardiac symptoms please read!

==============

For keys on adrenal and cardiac support:

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

PDF: www.cfids.org/sparkcfs/working-out.pdf

HTML version - without photos for easier printing: http://tinyurl.com/4qevgl

WHEN WORKING OUT DOESN'T WORK OUT

By Dr. Christopher R. Snell, Dr. J. MarkVanNess and Staci R. Stevens, et.al.

From THE CFIDS CHRONICLE SUMMER 2004

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in the middle of intense physical activity (playing lacrosse as a mid-fielder) and as I was walking off the field, I had a squeezing in my chest, followed by soreness in my shoulder, similar to what you would feel with a heart attack.

It didn't go away so I went to the ER. They said it was fine. I was never the same after that day though......meaning, I went downhill VERY quickly and was couch-ridden within a week.

But, I had been in a tick infested area 3 weeks prior, during tick season......so it is possible that the exercise wasn't a trigger...who knows. I have always wondered.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Thank you all for telling your stories. It just can't be such a coincidence that we were so physically active when we fell ill...who knows what the true connection is.

Keebler, I will read your links as my brain allows, thank you for them.

I'm also curious how much of one's physical functioning one gets back - I don't mean the marathons or gruelling work outs, just "normal" everyday functioning. Good luck to everyone and thx again for sharing.

CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My trigger was pregnancy. I had exercised intensively for 12 years prior and then moderately throughout pregnancy. Symptoms came out full blown after baby born.
I am back in the gym 3x/week now and I think it's helping.

I know of several people who have had a pretty easy time getting over Lyme who were totally into exercise. I think there's a connection but don't know what?

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit100
Member # 11941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bandit100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an interesting thread. Although I can look back at symptoms that I believe were lyme related now back to 1995, I tanked the Summer of 2006 after I had reached the ability to run up to 12 miles at a time. Started feeling bad and found it difficult to run 3 miles.

Then I started a new job with my company and lost my father in law to suicide.

I believe the physical and mental stress were the cause of this disease to really take a hold on me.

I personally have been treating this disease since July of 2007. It took months like many of you to get a diagnosis. Still battling this thing....

Posts: 25 | From Missouri | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
me too.
Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too.

I was in very good shape and working out 5-6 days a week, then I decided to lose 20 pounds.

I didn't ready need to but I wanted to get to that magic weight the doctors tell us we should be.

I lost about 12 pounds in 2-3 weeks...

That was it!!! everything started going down hill from there...and I mean, down down down.

I think I shocked my body...

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay gang i feel like i need to weugh in with a contrarian view. this thread wil o coure attrrct people who are in the same boat, i wasn't excercising at al when i got bit..nor was i excering hard when i became acutely sick.

Ironically as part of my recovery i am excericing harder than i have in 20 years. This si for detox and to support the imnune system.

Just thought i would balance out the replies thus far...

Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in good shape and always very active before Lyme but at the time of falling ill I was working about 70 hours a week at a very stressful job and had a lot of other stuff going on.

I was definately burning the candle at both ends and constantly pushed myself to exhaustion.

I also drank alcohol several nights a week and because I was always rushed for time my diet was horrible.

I know all of this contributed to my illness...

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now that I think of it,,, me too! Holy Crap!
I could never do what I used to, worked on the elyptical 1 hour strait.

Now when I do that my legs kill me all week!!!!!!!

I was really healthy and then crash. Within 6 months.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too. Though I would have said my peak conditioning as a dancer would have been a decade or more earlier, I was still in very good shape and still performing and teaching full time when I got slugged by Lyme.

Which is why nothing ruffles my fur more than when chronic Lyme symptoms are blown off as the "aches and pains of daily living." The doc who wrote that clearly has no idea what a high tolerance for discomfort many of us had throughout our lives.

-- Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melodymaker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melodymaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone, take the time to read some of the links Keebler provided earlier in the thread

Lots of good explanation why exercise is hurtful to our overall well being. (with lyme that is) Also the most recent guideline from borrescano, which I will print out to review.

I was not an athelete before becoming sick. An active mom, and enjoying life. Now, have had Lyme for 25 years due to misdiagnosis.

My husband also was not an athelete. However, we think he may have had Lyme for some time, but his immune system was keeping it under control

then when they shut down his immune system several times in a short period because he was allergic to the dye they needed for tests, we believe the Lyme took off.

If you think of your body as fighting an infection, then think of the exercise as putting a strain on your body, it makes sense that you cannot drain great levels of energy for exercise, and have the energy left over to fight the infection.

I'm a simple, common sense person, and this makes sense to me.

I don't think the exercise is the trigger for the illness, or that atheletes are more succeptible, except that they may have more exposure if they exercise outdoors.

Rather, once infected, the intensive exercise may take away from the body energy needed to keep the infection in check.

--------------------
Wishing You Showers Of Blessings!
Lyme since Fall 1983 = Diagnosed Summer 2008
IV Rocephin 7 weeks Stopped due to drug fever
Now doxycycline
"For I know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 430 | From Sunny South | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astriapage
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astriapage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My best friend was an avid runner, 10 + miles everyday plus a bodybuilder when he got very sick about 10 years ago.

He is fine now, he had more of the ensephalitis symptoms, but he can't run 10 steps now without getting violently ill!

I was an avid walker, very active when I got sick also, but nothing like him. He was obsessed!

Posts: 303 | From Jekyll Island, GA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlc
Member # 18061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I wouldn't say I was a peak condition, but working on it. Four separate times before being diagnosed as chronic I ended up getting sick after being a good exercise routine for roughly 2 months. I just starting losing the weight I wanted, felt really good then bam. I am slowly trying to get back into something because I need it. Everything I do is very low impact, but I can still fee the "flare" when I do it.
Posts: 60 | From WI | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanna push the excersise now, but I just do level one.

I feel like such a wimp and looking young I think people are judging me.

But then again, its really just me judging myself a failure for being sick!

Damn lyme in my brain.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeparfait
Unregistered

I think the die off from intense aerobic exercise

causes herxes, and sickness to flair. I monitor

my daughter who is a high level athlete with

lyme. One minute excellent physically, and the

next, it's a physical crash. Detox is so

important when die off occurs from your internal

heat along with any treatments. Also the stress

involved with competition can cause these

problems. Once you know your triggers, you can

work around it.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

I think it just causes inflamation and cortisol to go up.

I know allready that the HPA is screwed up and doesnt allow cortisol to return to a normal level one we excercise.

btmb03
Unregistered

Too many amazing replies to respond to each and everyone - yes, exercise + stress seems to have been a common denominator though through a weakened immune system.

Ironic that our "stress" pathways - HPA axis is so dysfunctional - though maybe for a reason.

I was no athlete though led an extremely active lifestyle. I truly believed I was at the "peak" of my physical abilities...until I was stopped dead in my tracks.

I have not had the chance to read Keebler's posts tho I know they must be very interesting/informative.

I guess I'm hoping that our aerobic systems haven't been damaged permanently and for those of us misdiagnosed for years still have a chance to repair those aerobic pathways.

Some of you have endured a lot stress-wise, I am truly sorry for your pain. Perhaps this is our chance to "re-make" ourselves and forgive those who have wrong us. Peace!

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Forgiveness is huge! You dont know what holding grievances does to you!
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I was at my peak mentally and physically....at the height of my career which I loved and in great shape physically....I worked like a maniac but I loved my career...I often think it's strange that this disease happened at the exact time I felt like my life was at its best.....
Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kim812
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kim812     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It happened to me too..I had started running 4 months prior to becoming sick. I was planning on trying a 1/2 marathon with my son. I was in great shape.

He has gone on to run a few marathons and I can't run at all anymore.

Posts: 343 | From North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

How horribly depressing this thread is. I realized no one on here ever got their abilities back. It really makes me wonder why bother? [Frown]
Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael_Venice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was absolutely in the best shape of my life when this happened. I was actually helping to train a couple of friends.

I did also have a period of high stress around the same time.

I sometimes think there was a perfect storm of stressors.

Posts: 322 | From Venice, CA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Seekhelp - sorry you feel this is such a depressing thread, why do you suppose so many replies?

'Cause we're all looking for answers - many people can't run like they used to ..but they can walk, and shop, and [try] to enjoy life the best they can even at a different level.

Perhaps the reason we got sick (type A, driven,) is the very thing that keeps us going and staying positive..and perhaps in the future regaining *some* part of our past lives..not running marathons!! (figuratively speaking)

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Rather than depressing, I see validation that caution is, indeed, required so that we don't cause further harm.

Yes, this can and will get better - but only if I learn more about how to take care of myself at this crook in the road and honor my body's need - whatever that is - even if I would rather be out on the hills, running free.

I no longer mind a stroll (or a ride) as long as I can escape my four walls.

Sometimes, working smarter - not necessarily harder - is called for regarding physical output if a body has some systems that have gone kapoot (sp?).

Although this requires more patience than I think I may have, if I fortify myself with information and shift my plans a bit, I still see a chance for a fulfilled life.

And, even amid all this, fulfillment might just still sneak up on me along the way.

-

btmb03
Unregistered

Keebler, Tabers, excellent posts, I hope everyone will be able to read your words of wisdom.

Tabers - a big congrats to you - wow, I've been to Mt. Washington and trust me it's no joke, ...patience is really a virtue in this illness, excellent advice!

landerss
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17732

Tabers, your post is heartening! Mt. Washington is a fabulous race, and it's great to hear that you're still running (even *racing*) it post-lyme diagnosis. Your words about patience are wise...we competitive athletes want results NOW - my LLMD always teases me about this.

--------------------

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
How horribly depressing this thread is. I realized no one on here ever got their abilities back. It really makes me wonder why bother? [Frown]

Most of us feel the same way! I will tell you one thing, when I take doxy I become suicidal. Its because my brain swells.

Have you considered taking less abx?

btmb03
Unregistered

Don't want to speak for seekhelp but I believe he's not on an abx at the present time but I may be wrong.
diana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at the gym 6 days a week-pilates, yoga, weights. I did this for about 10 months and then got sick even though I was infected 18 years prior.

Diana

Posts: 202 | From vancouver, canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

I'm not on Abx. I just meant it's tough to hear how many have lost what they used to have on this board. Very few people here have stores like Tabers where they did what they used to. Most seem to be a shell of what they once were physically.

It's so damn frustrating a disease can steal it all away that no one even believes in. It makes us all look like nutcases to docs. It's not like AIDS, cancer, etc. where people have sympathy.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

I am a shell!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to the gym yesterday and after I couldnt walk and had burning in my feet.

What gives?

Ive been living off ADVIL!!!!!!!!!!

Its either me or an bleeding ulcer. Somethings gotta give.

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that physically fit people push themselves even harder at times. Two years ago I was working, exercising, and finishing grad school and I came down with mono. Since then, I've never been the same. Lyme came out to play (I think).

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
backintherain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for backintherain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got bit and got sick when I was very active. I'd run my first (and so far, last) half marathon, and was gearing up to run a full marathon. I was rock climbing and backpacking almost every weekend. I felt stronger than I had since being a teenager.
I also already took very good care of myself, eating well, etc.
I don't know that there was a connection, but I wasn't a couch potato anyway.
One effect tho - when I started feeling the lyme, I tried to run through it. I wonder if all that aerobic exercise helped it get into my brain, because I had neurological problems very quickly.

Posts: 227 | From Northern CA (bitten in Illinois) | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melodymaker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melodymaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had Lyme, misdiagnosed, for 25 years. I contracted it when my daughter was in kindergarten. She turned 30 last year when I was finally diagnosed with Lyme.

Since they told me all that time it was fibromyalgia, and there was nothing they could do about it, I've always had the mentality that I'd have this illness for life, with no help.

Perhaps that has given me a unique perspective. It is human nature to want our lives to just go back to normal, for those who can remember what "normal" was.

However, I have found that there are great things to be learned from all circumstances.

I'll never run, but I am thankful I can walk.

In my 30s I spent almost a year critically ill with heart issues, that we now realize were probably Lyme related. I learned a great deal about nutrition while trying to stay alive. (cardiologist said it was all in my head)

During times you feel well, enjoy that beautiful feeling but try not to overdo.

When you are not feeling well, try doing a low energy activity that you love, even if you have to develop one. Read, write, paint, whatever gives you joy to make a bad day better.

I guess I'm just saying that our lives don't have to be everything we want in order to be a good life. I admit it would be nice to be in less pain, but I've learned to ignore it and get on with life.

Going to the gym and running marathons aren't the only things in life. If you can't do what you used to do, perhaps there is the gift of something new that will deeply enrich you.

Develop what you can do in whatever level you are at. There are great gifts waiting for you to unwrap them, and life is full of many beautiful things to try.

It's about management, and you can direct your thoughts and life in a direction that will provide enrichment every day, good or bad.

Having to slow down may mean that we'll see something wonderful we would have missed otherwise. Look for the silver lining, and you will find it.

--------------------
Wishing You Showers Of Blessings!
Lyme since Fall 1983 = Diagnosed Summer 2008
IV Rocephin 7 weeks Stopped due to drug fever
Now doxycycline
"For I know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 430 | From Sunny South | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlienj
Member # 12017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlienj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to add another reply counter to this thread and give some hope for people who'd like to regain their physical abilities.

Based on how my symptoms presented throughout college, I've narrowed down when I thought I was bit to most likely the second half of my sophomore year of college in 2000 though it could have been my junior year. I initially had a mono-like virus at the end of my sophomore year that persisted for several weeks, then junior year I started having ear infections which I hadn't had since childhood, and by early senior year I was having daily headaches.

I was much less physically active in the middle of college than I was throughout high school and had various other things that could have reduced my ability to fight off an infection (drinking a lot, a high amount of stress from various things particularly during my junior year, the typical college diet, etc.). I didn't have a sudden onset of the disease as many here did, but over-exertion through physical activity certainly didn't play a role for me getting sick.

Now, for the positive outlook. In 2005 I played basketball a bit early in the summer until I suddenly had awful lower back pain and was unable to play the rest of the summer as I was treated for and dealing with that. By 2006, that was fine, but the combination of fatigue, feeling ******, and increasingly bad leg pain prevented me from playing a single time and was depressing to me as I feigned responses as to why I couldn't ball on a given day.

However, by the start of 2007, I was feeling substantially better in regards to fatigue, reduced headaches, and overall feeling. This was also all prior to my lyme diagnosis and the result of my being on an extremely modified diet for a year (basically a candida diet while also being gluten-free and avoiding many other foods entirely at the time until I could tolerate them again in moderation), a mostly regular sleep schedule, and trying various supplements for periods of time with coq10, a multi, and probiotics being the mainstays.

In January 2007, I started going to the gym 2 days a week. The first few months were some relatively light cardio hoping to be ready to play ball in the summer of 2007 and sure enough, I was good to go and much quicker than I expected on the court when we started playing ball that summer.

I've now been playing 1.5 - 2 hours of fairly competitive full-court basketball once a week year-round for nearly two years since then. I feel it to varying extents the next day and consequently wouldn't want to do it more than once a week, but I'm able to do it at a high level most times I play. As for going to the gym, I still go once a week in addition to ball (or twice otherwise), and do push-ups on the side. I've slowly but steadily built up how much I lift and how much cardio I do over the past 2 years and while it's nothing too extensive by any means, I feel it's been instrumental in helping me overall.

I agree with not over-exerting (though I admittedly may do so at times with b-ball), but I recommend trying something small if and when you feel capable of doing so and building up slowly with a somewhat regular regiment if possible. And if you don't feel capable at the current time, don't force it but don't lose hope that that will always be the case.

Posts: 43 | From NJ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Charlie, Melody and others...just want to let you know your posts are being read, and what amazing lives you all have led...

It is heartening to see how some of you have gotten your lives back - Charlie, congrats on getting your aerobic abilities back but you are right in that it has to be in small steps...when the time is right.

Melody, you are so right that we *have* to find happiness at whatever stage we're at, although most of us would like to be able to work out fast and furiously as we used to. Perhaps this has been a rude wake-up call for us.

I do remember a doctor telling me that there is a greater prevalence of these illness in people in the "prime of their lives" as our vigorous immune systems sometimes work against us and launch a bigger-than-normal attack on..say bacteria/viruses, often it's our *own* bodies making and keeping us sick!!

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Thank you for the other perspectives. Very nice and I appreciate them greatly.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement