LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme disease and trigemminal neuropathy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme disease and trigemminal neuropathy
lemonhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks,
I sent a post last week about TMJ and Lyme. My doctor and I have figured out that my problem is not TMJ, but Trigemminal Neuropathy.

I have an appointment with a non-lyme-literate neurologist tomorrow. He is not responsive to the idea tha Lyme disease can be long term.

I am not going to argue with him because of coure I need his help.

Have any of you had this problem where portions of your face, teeth and neck are in such pain that no drugs will help it?

Have you had trigemminal neuropathy?

Thank you, Lemonhead

Posts: 156 | From Corpus Christi, Texas USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure you don't have a tooth absess? I have had that kind of pain with a deep infection in a root canal.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has trigeminal neuralgia and she is just being tested for lyme....I'm sure she has it.

Because lyme affects the nervous system, it can affect any of the cranial nerves. Inflammation of cranial nerve #5, the trigeminal nerve, will cause this.

Any cranial nerve can be affected, accounting for symptoms like difficulty swallowing, light or sound sensitivity, Bell's palsy, etc.

Go to the link that I added below and go about 1/2 way down the essay and look for a paragraph that starts with....

"The more commonly noticed neurologic deficits....."

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/romarkaraoke/whento.htm

This is a fantastic and eye opening essay. I recommend reading all of it.

good luck.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I was inadequately being treated for lyme disease, I got trigeminal neuralgia. It caused severe shooting pain to fly across one side of my face, usually near the end of a meal (from chewing). It caused me to scream out each time. After so many episodes, I had continuous dull pain there.

I got to ask Dr. Burrascano about this during a lyme question and answer session and he said that lyme can continue to progress even during treatment and can cause this.

I tried many things but what finally helped was Benadryl and then getting better lyme treatment. The Benadryl, I believe, reduced the sinus swelling which took the pressure off of the trigeminal nerve. No doc recommended this. I studied and came up with this remedy by myself. Hope it helps you. And, put ice on your face while having an attack. That helps.

People who don't have lyme get this also, and it causes severe pain. The doc will try various meds to try to help you. No need to even mention lyme disease to him.

I also had a severe burning pain in my jaw for many months prior to lyme diagnosis. I took anti-inflammatories and had to live on pain meds for it. Had 2 root canals which did nothing. Had the dentist & dental surgeon stumped.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
madge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for madge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lemon, this is very interesting...my hubby has had head & eye pain now for over 7 yrs...had every test known to man...2 yrs ago got a pos for Lyme...in treatment and no change...but all along i wondered if his bad discs 3,4,5 he hurt in a car accident could be pressing on this nerve and giving him this pain...

i told so many dr about this...last fall he went to yet another dr and they took mri and others and said they don't think this could be the cause.

Lyme dr also thinks that maybe his head and eye and light and noise pain is not caused from lyme...

i thank you for your info and it gives me more to think about and work on....Madge

--------------------
madgen

Posts: 342 | From newjersey | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emh2l
Member # 18886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emh2l     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mayo actually dx my trigeminal neuralgia. (No idea what caused it, just the dx.) It is miserable ! Mine feels like a very sharp pinch that will pulse or remain constant. I also have a nerve in the back of my head that does the same thing. (Neuro said that is a damaged cranial nerve. Again, no idea of cause just the dx.)

I've tried Lyrica and several other drugs. They didn't stop the pain and made me really dopey. The only thing that helps is ice. I have some of the gel ice packs and I will literally lay with the pack on my head. Sounds crazy but it gives me some relief.

Lisa

Posts: 41 | From SC | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soonermom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soonermom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of my first symptoms were with the trigeminal nerve on the left side. It started out with numbness in one branch, then spread to all three branches (including crawling feeling inside gums).

I only had the shooting trigeminal neuralgia shooting pain 2 -3 times (thankfully) and then started a daily medicine for migraines that seemed to stop the pain (the numbness continued).

Later on, I developed glossopharyngeal (9th cranial nerve) neuralgia where I got stabbing pains deep in my ears and throat. That went on for months until I was finally diagnosed and started treatment.

--------------------
3/08 CDC Positive
IgM 18++ 23-25IND 31++++ 34++ 39+ 41+++ 58+ 83-93+

CDC Negative
IgG 31IND 39IND 41+++ 58+ 66+

Posts: 274 | From oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have been diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia, it has been absolutely excruciating at times, especially when I was actively treating...aside, or in addition to the shooting pains, there was a constant, and still is a constant pain.

At times it felt like a drill was boring into my bone.

I went to five dentists over the years and several neurologists. Finally, a neuro decided trigeminal neuralgia and while he does not treat lyme, he does understand how it can lead to this, or, he said, it could be/have been post herpetic.

Either way, nothing helped with the pain and while I was actively treating with antibiotics, it was severe and intense.

I just completed several months of weekly accupuncture, which has helped the daily/constant pain level go down to a lower degree. It still flares up, and when that happens.....it feels like a vice grip on the nerve on the right side of my face, sometimes just the eye part, sometimes the maxillary part, and then the "source" which is between teeth 29 and 30, possibly from 30 alone (although dentists have not come up with it as being a dental problem).

To this day I am considering getting one of the teeth pulled but this would not help the trigeminal neuralgia. It has been a pretty nasty thing.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poohbear74
Member # 18766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poohbear74     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow I was beging to think I was the only one out there with this pain.

My neruo said I have trigeminal sensory nerp. He put me on a round or steroids to take the inflammation off the nerve and it was like i was cured.

after 10 the pain was back the second i stopped so i am on it again 16days now and no pain. no facial twitching
and that's a blessing because i cant relate the pain is BAD....

I am still being diagnosed ,I have had bells 2x
I have tried every medication on the market to get rid of the pain.. I was to the point of suicide.

even did the accu that lasted 30min.
I am still fighting doc to get diagnosed and hopefully someday that will happen.

so hang in there i know what you are feeling!!!!
my life has felt like it was ripped away... and this med has temp gave it back to me.

good luck...

Posts: 47 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kissis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kissis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I am also one of the unlucky ones that has this horible afliction, It is actucaly known by many as the suicide dieses. I have found that certain foods , most likly a alergic responce, can afect it also. I can no longer drink any form of alcohol. It will take several days later to flair but it always happens if I just have a few sips. I have also been told some think the herpies virus is attacking the nerve.And for me I believe this is correct for I always get a blister type rash on the side of the face when it is flairing.
Thanks for the Benadryl advice TF, I will definitly try that next time.

Posts: 203 | From tipp city oh.45371 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme is most certainly a major cause of TN or TMJ. TN feels like the entire side of the face and jaw hurt, like a real strong pressure/ache, sometimes a burning feeling.

If you have other symptoms outside of TN, fatigue, neurological, cardia, digestive, moods/sleep -- that's a pretty good sign that it's a systemic issue, not just a facial nerve issue. Poking at just the TN alone probably won't get you far treatment wise unless sorting out the rest.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trigeminal neuralgia was the big thing that led to my diagnosis. About every four weeks, it will still flare for a day or two. Very nasty.
Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement