LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone used virgin coconut oil for thrush? Oregano oil better or not?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone used virgin coconut oil for thrush? Oregano oil better or not?
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

For mild oral thrush, has anyone had good results using virgin coconut oil (not processed)?

Have other products such as oregano oil provided good results?

If so, how much and how often did you use?

I would like to try one or more of these before resorting to Nystatin.

I have eaten some plain yogurt. It tastes so bad that I gag. I add a small piece of fruit to it but I have to think that the natural sugar in the fruit might defeat the purpose.

I have doubled my probiotics, but that doesn't really help the mouth so much.

Thanks for any input.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks lymestop, I'll read it over!

--------------------

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used virgin, organic, cold pressed coconut oil
(must be processed so the oil is fully "alive")
and i dosed it "medicinally" for about four months.

i would take a full tBsp every three hours.

i also drank allot of kefir (homegrown), but it was the coconut oil that took care of my candida.

i had four strains documented via pcr testing, and saw it in a micro-analysis of my blood. a severe systemic infection.

diflucan did not clear it, nor did a number of
recommended therapies.

the coconut oil did. i have had no yeast problems, not even minor ones, since.
-- but you need live oil and you need to take it religiously.

i've used oregano oil (again, get the good stuff)
and it is a powerful anti-microbial, but i don't know if that approach would just be too strong.
it's really a "killing agent" - at least as or more potent than ab's, and comes with all of that baggage as far as how hard it is on your system.

if you are going to go on oregano oil regimen, you will have tons of die off, of many organisms - and you'd better have your organs in perfect shape to handle all the die off, and have a good idea how much load of infection you are carrying.

coconut oil has tremendous and numerous benefits, is highly nutritional, and it is very effective against candida.

best,
mo

--------------------
life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage
-- anais nin

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mo, I picked some good virgin coconut oil up today to try!

--------------------

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If coconut oil is good, Lauricidin - http://www.lauricidin.com/

might be good, too. It's a stronger version of coconut oil.

I'm taking it but for other reasons.

Thanks for the good info, Mo.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Olive Leaf extract helped me prevent candida in the past.

While not from thrush, I had uclers in my mouth for four years straight, with constant burning.

Coconut oil helped relieve the burning, but only as long as it stayed in my mouth.

I tried all the stuff mentioned above and only andrographis helped. Within a week, nearly a cure. Now, for months, it's so much better - it's nearly a miracle.

So, you might try that if the other suggestions above don't help.

Andrographis is also antifungal. It is mentioned in Singlton's book, "The Lyme Disease Solution" and fully discussed in Buhner's "Healing Lyme"

You can also read more about it at PubMed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

This is what I use:

http://www.vitacost.com/Planetary-Herbals-Full-Spectrum-Andrographis

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueCheetah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueCheetah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I was just going to ask about coconut oil and oil of oregano.

I have tried everything for yeast. Nystatin, Diflucan, all of it. Nothing has helped.

How much oil of oregano do you take a day if you think you have bad yeast?

Where can I buy good coconut oil and oil of oregano that you would recommend online?

I have no health food stores or anything near me so I do not have a clue where to get it, other than online.

Many thanks!

--------------------
Lyme, Babesia Microti, possible Bart.

Posts: 173 | From A little south of sanity - PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ebbakarin
Member # 16362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ebbakarin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coconut oil is a natural source of Caprylic acid, a strong anti-fungal agent. Needs be you can try a caprylic acid supplement, but I agree with Mo that coconut oil has numerous additional benefits so if you feel able I would just go with that for the whole effect.

I use coconut oil and milk in place of dairy products along with yogurt, raw sauerkraut, raw garlic, and a probiotic to control yeast.

Posts: 36 | From Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast cleanse by Solaray was very helpful to me.

It has lots of good ingredients like tea tree oil, pao d'arco, grapefruit seed extract, freeze dried garlic, caprylic acid, etc.

It's only about $12 or so a bottle depending where you buy it.

Grapefruit seed extract is worth considering in & of itself...

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

sparkle7: thanks, I will check out both of your suggestions!

Keebler: thanks, I will consider all of those things.

BlueCheetah: My coconut oil is from Spectrum foods and is unrefined organic virgin coconut oil, so maybe you can search their website or for a retailer for them. They also make refined coconut oil that is not virgin, but you don't want that.

ebbakarin: thanks for the suggestion!

--------------------

Piegirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Piegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also use Spectrum unrefined virgin coconut oil. I have been able to find it in my local grocery store in the health food section.

I LOVE IT!!! I personally do not use it for candida. I started to use it for hypoglycemia which it has helped greatly but, to my surprize it has also really improved my diarrhea that I've had for 5 years now!!! It really is good stuff. Oh, and my energy has improved too.

Mary

Posts: 161 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

So glad to hear it has helped you so much. Thanks, Piegirl!

--------------------

sparkle7
Member # 10397

That's interesting about your diarrhea, piegirl. I'm having a detox reaction & I've been have intestinal issues, lately.

Do you know why it helps?

Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sparkle, I just started taking good quality coconut oil as I recently test high positive for candida (don't have any obvious signs). I am betting that the "yeasty beasty" party has been in my small intestine for some time, as I've been on the MP for 28 months and eat fruit and other natural sugars.

This morning, I woke up with nasty instestinal cramps! They passed, but they sure were obvious. My read: the coconut oil is killing the yeasty beasties!

[woohoo]

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueCheetah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueCheetah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much everyone! I am going to order some now!

How much do you take a day for yeast?

--------------------
Lyme, Babesia Microti, possible Bart.

Posts: 173 | From A little south of sanity - PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

I have been taking good quality coconut oil on & off. I just started again. I think the Lauricidin may be more concentrated if you want stronger results.

I like to eat the coconut oil on toast for breakfast but you would have to eat 4-8 tbs. to get the same benefit of a 1/2 tsp. of the Lauricidin.

I don't remember the exact proportion but it's something like that. It's hard to eat that much oil in a day.

The Yeast Cleanse is very strong stuff. It may even be a cyst buster, too. Grapefruit seed extract has been studied to bust Bb cysts.

If you use the yeast Cleanse - go slow & be careful as to not herx too much. It did cure my yeast better than any drug I took & I do suspect it was a cyst buster.

Some people may be sensitive to it since it is strong.

Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I purchased softgels from GNC, see

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134124

They were $15 for 120 softgels. They are made by Emerald Laboratories. They are extra virgin and organic certified.

I am taking appr. 3 daily, but I was I surprised to see the recommended use on the label is 4-8 daily or as recommended by your healthcare practioner. Each softgel is 4000 mG.

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Piegirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Piegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sparkle,

I'm not sure why it helped my diarrhea. I know it's not candida issues (I tested low on candida test and do not take antibiotics). I think I may have a problem digesting most fats and since this is a very easy digestable fat then maybe it's easier on the system.

I have read tons of info on the different ways it helps the digestive tract, hypoglycemia, diabetes, fatigue, candida, and even your thyroid (by helping your body convert T4 to T3). Do a search on the internet, there is alot of good info.

Mary

Posts: 161 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Thanks everyone for your input on this subject!

I remember reading numerous times in one of those medical newspaper columns about how people with chronic diarrhea were helped alot by eating a coconut macaroon cookie everyday...same principle that piegirl has experienced. Not sure what property coconut has that would benefit diarrhea so much.

--------------------

snagirl
Member # 16196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snagirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i rinse with water and a little hydrogen peroxide and that has helped a lot reduce the white tongue.
\
i have only done it for about 4 days now but i will also try the coconut oil.

dr. b's guidelines talk about using house hold bleach in water.

i forget the ratio.

--------------------
snagirl

Posts: 37 | From oakland,ca | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
louisep
Member # 17272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for louisep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think you can dip a tampon in coconut oil and insert it into the vagina? Is it safe?

Has anyone tried this?

I have a chronic Lyme infection in the urethral glands.

Louise

Posts: 11 | From UK | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement