LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bicillin injections, do I need the lidocaine?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bicillin injections, do I need the lidocaine?
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just prescribed bicillin injections and she also gave me a prescription for lidocaine to numb the area first.

For those that are already doing bicillin injections, I was just wondering how necessary the lidocaine is. Does it REALLY hurt without the lidocaine? I'm trying to save money so don't want to get the lidocaine unless I absolutely need it. Thanks!

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mandy614
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mandy614     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use it and it helps. There has only been one time I did not use it (for time purposes it takes 45 minutes to numb up) and it hurt more, but wasn't unbearable. The injection still hurts as the medicine is going in even with the numbing, but the lidocaine makes the insertion of the needle a little more bearable.

I myself am running out of cream, and don't really care one way or the other.

mandy

Posts: 348 | From maryland | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for replying Mandy! I think what I will do is try it once without the lidocaine and if it's awful I will just get the lidocaine. Thanks a bunch!
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on my sixteenth week of getting the bicillin shots and I have never used the lidocaine. It doesn't feel good but it really doesn't hurt much at all.

I personally would save my money.

Melissa

--------------------
When the going gets tough. . . I'll keep fighting!
Ms. Geet3721

New LLMD, New abx, New life coming right up!!!!

Posts: 714 | From La La Lyme Land | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura, you could try icing the area 20min prior to injection. It helped more than the topical lidocaine. But I used both because the injections still hurt alot.

I also found that it was less painful to inject slowly between 5-10min. If I went too fast the muscle couldn't accommodate and it would be sore longer.

After injection apply head and gently massage the area. It helps to relax the muscle so that you won't be so stiff and sore the next day.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if you're concerned about the cost, I only used half of a tube of the topical cream in about 5 months. It was also generic so cheaper still.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenin98
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use ice, but how long is it supposed to take when you inject? my husband does it in less than 1 minute.
Jenin

Posts: 455 | From Maryland | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was given a script for Emla cream (which contains lidocaine). I would highly recommend it since they can be painful.
Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Well, since I'll probably only use one tube the whole time I'm on it I think I will buy it.

And yes, how long is it supposed to take to inject the bicillin?

mandy614
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mandy614     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people like to inject slow but I like to get it over with. I'd say total time is around 30 seconds.

I would get the numbing cream it does help. I put a pea size drop on the area, then saran wrap it for 45 minutes. Also, sit on a heating pad after injection.

Posts: 348 | From maryland | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used the lidocaine cream to numb the area sometimes; other times used ice. It certainly was bearable without the numbing cream, but that often made the injections almost totally painfree.

Depends on your pain threshold! Some people have no problems with the shots, others like me are sensitive. Ice works very well too.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement