LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » When Lyme USE to be a problem & now it's not

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When Lyme USE to be a problem & now it's not
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This quote below is from a Presidential Proclamation written back in the early days, in 1989.

The NIH really wanted some research $$ back then, so the BAD effects of what Lyme could do were being publicized.

Now they are being hidden and swept under the rug... and would still be if it weren't for YOU and all our efforts.

The idiots didn't seem to mind at all that this kind of thing was being broadcast back then .. but then some of folks were planning to make $$ because of it too.

And just try to get a President to say this stuff now? HOLY COW!

The IDSA would blow up a storm and rain all over us.

Because NOW.. Lyme disease.. according to the IDSA, insurance companies and such... well...

Lyme disease is no big deal.

The Proclamation, signed by President Bush (the daddy Bush).. states... an excerpt below...

Proclamation 6000 - Lyme Disease Awareness Week, 1989
July 26, 1989

"In addition, because it can resemble other illnesses, Lyme disease is sometimes misdiagnosed. If not treated early, serious complications may develop that can affect the heart, nervous system, or joints. Lyme disease in pregnant women can result in miscarriages, stillbirths, and birth defects."

I like this part too. I call it- Give ME the funding, Give ME the funding.

"Recognizing the widespread impact of Lyme disease and the need for research in this field, the National Institutes of Health is committed to finding better ways of identifying, preventing, and treating all tick-borne illnesses."

Yeah, right. That worked.

Check out the document... it is kinda cute... and know that volunteer activism has been ongoing for a LONG LONG time.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=1719

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least all the great reserch was done and this is what made Lyme such a 'mild flu-like' issue. Kind of like the sniffles, huh? A spray of ZyCam and you're good to go.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey seek... you said... " A spray of ZyCam and you're good to go."

Excuse me?

According to the IDSA guidelines...

NO ALTERNATIVES allowed. HA!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I apologize for thinking outside the box. I'm bad. Let me go get my 100 mg of Doxy 2x a day. [Smile]

I'll save the ZyCam for any 'post-Lyme' symptoms.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

You are sounding just like a duck now. Soooooooooo...

You, dear Seek, will be awarded the Duck of the Day Award!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Ocean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehe!!!

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Keep it up Ocean...

And maybe you will get the next Duck Award!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
copying it here to break up for neuros like me to comprehend and be able to read....

Proclamation 6000 - Lyme Disease Awareness Week, 1989

July 26, 1989

By the President of the United States of America
A Proclamation

Lyme disease, also known as Lyme borreliosis, was first recognized in Lyme, Connecticut, in 1975.

Seven years later, its cause, a spirochete or spiral-shaped bacterium called Borrelia burgdorferi, was discovered by a researcher at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Although the northeastern United States has the highest number of cases, Lyme disease has spread to more than 40 States.

In 1988, there were more than 5,000 reported cases of Lyme disease, and it has been estimated that many more people have been infected with the disease.

Lyme disease is transmitted to humans through the bite of the deer tick, which inhabits primarily grasslands and wooded areas.

Deer ticks are carried by several different animals including deer, cats, dogs, racoons, and field mice.

A common early symptom of Lyme disease is the appearance of a localized ring-shaped rash with a clearing in the center.

Other signs may include flu-like symptoms such as fatigue, mild headache, body aches, and a slight fever.

The chances of successful treatment with antibiotics are greatest in the early stages of the disease.

Unfortunately, in many instances, early symptoms may go unnoticed or may never appear.

In addition, because it can resemble other illnesses, Lyme disease is sometimes misdiagnosed.

If not treated early, serious complications may develop that can affect the heart, nervous system, or joints.

Lyme disease in pregnant women can result in miscarriages, stillbirths, and birth defects.

To avoid deer ticks and reduce the chance of contracting Lyme disease, people who are going into wooded areas or tall grass should wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants and apply tick repellant to their clothing.

They should also thoroughly check for ticks upon returning indoors.

The deer tick is smaller than a dog tick and is most likely to transmit Lyme disease in the nymphal stage when it is very tiny.

Anyone bitten by a tick should watch for symptoms suggestive of Lyme disease and seek early medical treatment if they occur.

Recognizing the widespread impact of Lyme disease and the need for research in this field, the National Institutes of Health is committed to finding better ways of identifying, preventing, and treating all tick-borne illnesses.

To enhance public awareness of Lyme disease and its debilitating side effects, the Congress, by Senate Joint Resolution 142, has designated the week beginning July 23, 1989, as "Lyme Disease Awareness Week" and has authorized and requested the President to issue a proclamation in observance of this occasion.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim the week beginning July 23, 1989, as Lyme Disease Awareness Week.

I call upon all government agencies, health organizations, communications media, and people of the United States to observe this week with appropriate programs and activities.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-sixth day of July, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eighty-nine, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fourteenth.

GEORGE BUSH

Citation:

John T. Woolley and Gerhard Peters,The American Presidency Project [online]. Santa Barbara, CA: University of California (hosted), Gerhard Peters (database).

Available from World Wide Web:

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=1719.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That find is a gem, TC....emailed it to my GP.
Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement