LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » possible ulcer- people with GI problems help please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: possible ulcer- people with GI problems help please
jenin98
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on abx for 1.5 years, 100% of the time on bicillin IM, and on and off with oral abx.
LAst year, I felt some gurlguring in my stomach which happened in the early morning while laying in bed, and did not hurt, and went away within a few days.
Fast forward to 2 months ago. It began with cough, then chest pain, like knives all over. They thought bronchittis, took pennicillin vk for a few days, felt good first 3 days, then relapse, tried levaquin , worked like magic for one day, then relapse.
Finally, my llmd took h.pyloir test, came positive, began triple therapy 17 days ago.

Today, I am experiencing worse pain. I had one day relief with abx. Yesterday, I flet so much pain in my stomach, I thought I was going to die, but it lasted 4 minutes, and went away.

LLMD says stop abx, see what happens to symptoms, and get an endoscopy asap to check for everything.
I have a GI appointment tomorrow, and they have already checked for c. difficile, and cancer, so we will see the results.
I do not have diarehha, my pain is when I eat, sometimes I have pain, but always stomach sounds.
If I have h. pylori, why didn't the abx work?
I think I do still have it, and it is resistant to abx, so if they take a biopbsy, can they determine which abx will work, and I worry they will tell me the h. pylori is negative.
how do they fix ulcers, how long to heal, can I still take abx for lyme with an ulcer , if I have one?
Jenin

[ 02-24-2009, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: jenin98 ]

Posts: 455 | From Maryland | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was having stomach pains, a burning in my stomach that was horrible. I had three different tests for H-Pylori including a biopsy. They all were negative.

I finally had enough sense to realize that H-Pylori had to be there as there are not many candidates for bacteria that can inflame the stomach lining.

I treated with my Rife device at 676 hz and the pain would be gone in minutes. It would return about a day and a half later. I finally found out that i had to treat it every day for five or more days to permanently kill all of it.
I did that and have not had trouble since.

I believe the cause of the infection was the large amount of antacids and acid blocking drugs I was using before I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. The lack of stomach acid allowed it to move into my stomach.

In your case it could be either C-difficile or H-Pylori. I am sorry I do not have a more conventional solution, but it is the only method I have personal experience with. If you have access to a Rife device it is an easy fix.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For stomach pain, I've had success with Mastic Gum (available non-rx). Mastic Gum appears to have action against h-pylori.
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, and others please. My husband gurgles horribly. He had a endoscopy done a year ago and sure enough he has very bad damage Barret's Esophagus.

I know this is pre-cancer. His new meds keep him from having heart burn, but hasn't helped with indigestion or gurgles.

I've been suspicious about the cause. My husband had a bout with lyme or company about 04 & 05 that was treated with abx and all sx resolved?????

But I wonder? Dan, what freqs would you recommend for rife sessions. Lab tests ruled out cancer, but could the tests of revealed c-diff or h-pylori and doc didn't mention?

Anything to help understand this. My husband is due back to doc in April and there will be another endoscopy for cancer (he has big time family history there).

Thanks, Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deglycyrrhizinated_licorice

Deglycyrrhizinated licorice

Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice, also known as de-glycyrrhizinated licorice, or commonly referred to by the acronym DGL, is typically used as an herbal supplement in the treatment of gastric and duodenal ulcers. It is made from licorice from which the glycyrrhizin has been removed.

The usual dosage is 760 mg, chewed, 20 minutes before a meal. Studies of DGL in humans and animals against placebos showed that DGL significantly reduced the size of gastric ulcers and hastened healing, with 44% of the subjects obtaining complete healing, as opposed to 6% of the control group.

DGL has also been found to be an effective treatment for duodenal ulcers. In another study a group of 40 patients who had duodenal ulcers for 4-12 years were treated with 3 grams of DGL a day for 8 weeks, or 4.5 grams a day for 12 weeks, with all subjects showing vast improvement, with the higher dosage being the most significant.

An additional study shows that DGL's therapeutic effect is equal to the effect of cimetidine.

There have been no known cases of overdose, and very little reported side effects (nausea and diarrhea sometimes reported).
There are no known drug interactions with drugs used to treat ulcers. In Europe, South Africa, and Canada, DGL is marketed in a medicinal preparation called Caved-S. In the U.S., DGL is marketed as a herbal supplement.

DGL has also been reported to help treat aphthous ulcers (canker sores).[1]

===============

www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art2233&zTYPE=2

Gastrointestinal Support: Proactive Steps to Strengthen GI Health -- By Chris D. Meletis, ND

Article at link.

======================

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice - 17 abstracts

=======================

From The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tillotson) Home: http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/licorice-root-glycyrrhiza-glabra.html

LICORICE ROOT (Glycyrrhiza glabra)

WHAT IT DOES: Licorice root is sweet in taste and cooling in action. It detoxifies poisons from the blood and liver, and reduces general inflammation and pain.

It moistens and heals the lungs and digestive tract.

Excerpt:

. . .

Almost 50 years ago, a scientist by the name of Revers reported that licorice paste reduced abdominal symptoms and caused radiographic evidence of ulcer healing.

However, about 20% of patients developed edema, headache and other symptoms due to overdose, leading to a loss of enthusiasm (Schambelan, 1994).

This led to the development of DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice), a form of licorice that does not contain the agents responsible for the side effects such as electrolyte changes.

The de-acidified DGL tablet or capsule form used in Europe and America is therefore devoid of any major side effects, and is effective for healing the intestinal membranes.

. . . .

- Full chapter at link above.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is caused by H-Pylori, 676 hz run for ten minutes a day, for seven days will get rid of it from the stomach area. I do not believe it will kill it throughout the body.

In the stomach all the frequencies have to do is weaken it enough for the stomach acid to finish it off. If you are blocking the acid production, it will likely come back again.

I do not know if there is an effective frequency for C-Diff. Many listed frequencies do not work or only work occasionally for some bacteria.

The H-Pylori tests are not extremely accurate. They will show it if it reaches a certain concentration, but not if it is below a certain level.

You should try both Mastic Gum and the DGL to see if it helps. My understanding is that Mastic Gum will knock it down but not always kill it altogether.

If either help him out, you have some idea of what you are dealing with. There are not many bacteria that affect the stomach this way.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes you need 2 PrevPacks...the Biaxin/Amoxicillin, or you can try Flagyl +Tetracycline for h.pylori +bismuth.

mastic gum rules, and carafate helps heal the lining! make sure you take Florastor to prevent c.diff and probiotics too. An endoscopy will check whats going on in there.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, mastic gum, and deglyccc (can't spell it) licorice (DGL) is good for temporary pain relief. I used a combo of the PrevPac, pepto bismol, and an herbal combo to finally finish mine off:

-acacia gum powder
-comfrey powder
licorice powder
and tincture of goldenseal and a few other things. This is from Stephen buhner's book Herbal Antibiotics, it's quite effective.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement