LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Pimply rash: From infection, or abx side effect?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pimply rash: From infection, or abx side effect?
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warning: semi-gross.

I have a pimple-like rash of small, hard, white puss zits (I warned you!).

I am trying to determine if this is a rash from one of my infections (Lyme, Bart, Bab) or if it could be a reaction to my medications.

I am on mino, zirtho, and bactrim.

I have clusters of these bumps on my nose, around my hairline/forehead, and on my R arm and let.

I thought it was just a break out of acne/pimples, but they don't go away, I've had this of maybe about 2 weeks.

I don't see my LLMD 'til April. Are these skin bumps anything urgent?

Many thanks.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wonko, you forgot to post your photo.

if you don't know how, go to COMPUTER QUESTIONS, an read down thru subjects; it's in detail there! [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been officially diagnosed yet, but a few months ago I started getting those kind of "acne-but-not-really" bumps too. Some of mine contain watery blood as well. It's gross.

I get them in clusters on my face, back, and even inside my mouth.

My PCP said don't worry about it (sheeesh!) and my dermatologist said she didn't know what it was, but she wasn't ready to do a biopsy (sheeeeesh, again).

Anyway, I maintain it's a symptom of Lymes or co-infections and it's on my list of questions to ask my LLMD at my first appt. next month.

Hope you get an answer that is helpful.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had these also and while I don't think they require urgent attention, I believe they are cutaneous manifestations of Lyme and contain spirochetes. I've been able to get rid of them by applying Venex ointment and Flagyl cream to the affected areas repeatedly. I had quite a large one appear suddenly at the corner of my nostril and cheek and it took about 2 months to get rid of it.

I then noticed a small one inside my nostril and began applying the topicals there as well, and it is now gone.

Venex ointment has bee venom in in which has been found to be deadly to Bb spirochetes. It does not, however, kill the cysts. If you're allergic to bee stings, you cannot use Venex however.

Applying hot towels to the area can also help, as heat kills spirochetes. I did this some also, and dampened a washcloth, then heated it up in the microwave to make it hotter before using it.

Other antibiotic ointments which are used to treat Bb could be tried also, if you can't use the Venex.

Finding the "pimple" inside my nose leads me to believe that at least some of my sneezing is caused by Lyme and that we are probably spreading it when we sneeze as well.

I've given some thought to doing nasal irrigations with either salt solutions or MMS, but since I've never done a nasal irrigation before, I've hesitated. However I do think the situation would justify some kind of topical treatment of the area, and an irrigation would be able to reach areas that I can't reach manually.

I get my Venex here:

www.dancingbeeacres.com

I have no business relationship with that business.

Patti

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my crazy bumps first appeared I glopped acne medicine all over them for weeks on end. They wouldn't budge.

Then I took another route and tried Neosporin on them. That didn't work either.

I have a couple on my chin right now and they look awful.

I also developed one on my gum inside my mouth yestersday.

Interesting post, psano2!

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reply. I didn't plan on posting a pic, I figured my gross description was good enough!

Like the above, acne cream does no good, it just dries out the skin in between the bumps.

My biggest worry was that it was an adverse reaction to abx, but it seems ppl here have had similar, and it does seem more likely to me a manifestation of Lyme.

I found one way to get rid of the ones on my legs: shaving. Last time I shaved my legs, it painlessly opened up the bumps. They are still there, but just red marks, no icky "filling."

On a separate but related note, I also have oral lesions. They first appeared in March 2005, and some more appeared over the years.

I had them looked at twice by doctors who assured me they are not cancer (I am an ex smoker). I wonder if these too could be Lyme related?

They never go away or hurt, they are just bumps inside of my cheeks and lips. They appeared YEARS before my weird neuro symptoms that lead me to an LLMD.

Perhaps more suited for a different post in the future, but based on the above, maybe the two are related?

Thanks again.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Hi Wonko,

I think the two are related. Just a hunch I have.

I see you are in MD too! :)

--------------------

Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mentioned the oral lesions in a write-up I gave my LLMD, but never discussed them.

Perhaps I should at my next appt., which is in April. I wanted to ask in the past, but they make me feel somewhat embarrassed.

It's just weird to think that looking back, I probably was showing signs of infection for so long. I had a bunch of odd and unexplained things over the years, but never thought they could be related.

I don't recall a tick bite in my life, so I suppose it's natural to question when this all happened!

Thanks again.

Pammy
Member # 15695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started getting those recently... I have other yeast related symptoms right now, so I'm

thinking it may be from that. I'm hoping they go away as I kill the yeast...

Posts: 92 | From home | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement