LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can Lyme or co-infections cause Schizophrenia type symptoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can Lyme or co-infections cause Schizophrenia type symptoms?
proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Icon 9 posted      Profile for proudmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother is in her 70s and has just started to have these symptoms. She's been seeing and hearing things that seem very real at the time. Added to all her other symptoms it's almost unbearable for her.

She's attempted suicide twice in the last 6 months (overdosing on her meds.) and is currently in the hosp because of attempt #2.

In talking to her, she said that she's not depressed or sad, it's just the stuff she's seeing and hearing and she feels she can't go on like this.

She has never been tested for lyme or anyother bacterial infections so I also posted in seeking dr. to try to get her tested.

--------------------
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"--Carl Sagan

Posts: 317 | From Kansas and New Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

So sorry to hear the torment your mother is going through.

Below are 2 links to information that discusses the psychiatric manifestations of lyme.

They definitely mention psychosis as a possible manifestation.

http://www.ilads.org/PsychiatristBrochure.pdf

In the following article, scroll about 1/3 of the way down the article and read "Psychiatric manifestations of lyme".....

http://tinyurl.com/385db

If you can't click on the links, just copy and paste them in your browser's address box(can't think of the right word) at the top of your screen.

Hope you get answers for your Mom and she recovers from this horrible ordeal. Good luck.

[ 02-27-2009, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: Dekrator48 ]

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proudmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dekrator,

Thank you for the info. I have lots of neuro symptoms from lyme and others but nothing like this. Just lots of anxiety and twitching and such.

It's hard not to think her problem is bacterial or something physical. I'm not totally ruling out psycosis. Just need all possible things to look for and that is not what her doctors are doing.

again, thank you sooooo much.

--------------------

Posts: 317 | From Kansas and New Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingattitude
Member # 17569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingattitude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I understand how aweful these symptoms can be.

In the beginning of my illness I had some of these symptoms. I would hear voices and had a few hallucinations and elements of my dreams were right in front of me when I awoke. I was pretty scared by it.

Once starting treatment, the herx caused these to be very intense and I ended up in the ER.

The diagnosis was possible schizophrenia or bipolar with psychotic features. (they weren't aware that lyme could cause these symptoms). These issues resolved quickly as I continued my treatment.

I was aware these hallucinations were happening, and knew that something wasn't right, but was still terrified. The docs also tested me for syphilis which can also cause these symptoms.

I hope your mother can find some relief soon!

--------------------
-Love and Gratitude

Posts: 69 | From another planet far far away | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is sent you a pm

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy Tan, the famous author, dealt with hallucinations and psychosis, etc., caused by Neuro Lyme. She bravely discusses this openly on her website here:

http://www.amytan.net/LymeDisease.aspx

These symptoms, and others, went away with Lyme treatment.

There is a Literaries of Lyme Group including Amy and the male author/naturist from Under Our Skin - they do an interview at a LDA meeting with Brian Fallon.

Amy goes into great detail there about her neurological symptoms from Lyme. She speaks about psychosis, anxiety, panic, feeling she was losing her mind, and loss of self, etc. If you are interested in seeing it or showing oit to your mother, I will try to find it for you.

I am so sorry your mom is going through this, and she is a very lucky mom to have you for a daughter. Good luck finding her a good Lyme doctor - it's always worth it to check into all possibilities, and this looks like a strong one.

Does she have any other symptoms? It's possible to only have neuro symptoms with Lyme, but just curious.

My best wishes to your mom and you, and your family.

--

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will copy a small portion where she describes many of her symptoms so that I can break it up for Neuro-Lymies that can't read large blocks of text. I hope Amy Tan won't mind me excerpting:

"Hallucinations began, what I now realize were likely simple partial seizures, the result of lesions on my brain. I saw people walking into my room, two girls jumping rope, numbers spinning on an odometer, a fat poodle hanging from the ceiling.

I also had strange episodes in which I behaved strangely but had no recollection of what I had done as reported to me by others. I apparently rang people up at midnight and talked in a wispy voice. I had flung laundry around the living room.

My husband said I acted at times as if I were in a trance, eyes wide open but unresponsive to his and a friend's questions. I now had nightly nightmares and acted them out, punching at lamps or my husband, and once landing on my head in a dive toward my dream assailant.

By day, my memory was held together with friable threads, my concentration was as easy to disperse as blown dust, and when I tried to read, I often found by the second page that I had no idea what the book was about. When I wrote by hand, I reversed letters. When I spoke, I substituted words with like-sounding beginnings."

---

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try to give her additional Magnesium in the form of Magnesium Citrate. Mental problems are associated with too little. It cannot harm her in any way.

I would look closely at the rarer side effects or interactions of her medications. Has she changed something around the time of the symptoms? It is not uncommon for medications to cause effects like these, especially when many are being used.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Great suggestions above - yes, magnesium and also vitamin deficiencies can contribute even if lyme or other infection is beneath this.

AND - her medicines, themselves, might be contributing to a toxic state of her body (adding to lyme toxins). Toxins can create all sorts of symptoms.

Liver support might help but also consider all of this.

Will she be able to get to a LLMD ?

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proudmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all, I'll try to answer your questions, very busy trying to multitask. LOL my lyme brain is spazing right now.

<nenet>
"Does she have any other symptoms? It's possible to only have neuro symptoms with Lyme, but just curious."

She has had many many odd symptoms over the years and the drs. haven't been able to diagnos her. She did test positive many years ago for EBV and was told that she had cronic fatigue as a result of that.

The post of Amys' was almost verbatum what my mom told me yesterday.

<D Bergy>
"Has she changed something around the time of the symptoms?"

The only thing that has happened recently was that she had her thyroid removed because of growths and one of the growths was positive for cancer.

They put her on replacement therapy but took her off to do the radiation follow up. Both extreme episodes happened when she was off the thyroid replacement meds.

She did tell me though that she has had these episodes off and on over the last few years but were not bad enough to really bother her.

She has been a Vegan all her life and is very up on supplements and staying on top of what she needs.

<Keebler>
"Will she be able to get to a LLMD ?"

I'm looking into that right now. I did post in seeking dr.

It's so hard to make sure she's doing what she needs to do from such a distance. I have told her about my lyme battle but she's not pro-active as far as doctors go.

Too many years of complaints and doctors not finding anything. I think part of her believes what the doctors say, that it's all in her head and she quit fighting the battle long ago.

I wish she wasn't so old, and that I was diagnosed long ago. Hind sight is always perfect. I don't really know what we can do for her at this point but I'm not giving up the ship just yet.

I'm prepared to lose my mother to old age or accident but not this.

Thank you everyone very much for your help.

Hugs, Proudmom

--------------------

METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely it can.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dekrator... Could you please take your long link to www.tinyurl.com ? It's making the thread go W-I-D-E and difficult to read.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

PS.. it's real easy to do

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes she can. also read somewhere that 90% plus of mental illnesses you mentioned are LYME DISEASE!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo,

Thanks, I changed the URL. I had never heard of that site, or doing that before, but I figured it out.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dek, we hadn't either until someone w/good computer skills told us about it, and it's been a huge blessign to this board with many 2-5 lines of address causing things to go super wide! [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement