LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Should I get a SPECT scan? Abnormal migraines and facial numbness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I get a SPECT scan? Abnormal migraines and facial numbness
HollyM
Member # 15386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollyM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this unbreakable CONSTANT headache just on the right side of my head. It has been a year now.

The whole right side of my face and neck is tight, the right side of my tongue goes numb, right side of face goes numb, it's painful. It moves around. I can't put my head on my pillow.

My neurologist would approve the Spect scan, but is it worth it considering my symptoms? He does not believe in chronic lyme. Is it worth it if the radiologist are not specialized in lyme? What would be the advantages? Do you think it would come back normal?

I don't have considerable memory problems, just word finding problems, and pain, abnormal migraine / seizure like symptoms. Again, the pain is constant, it doesn't go away.

I have responded the most to taking baby aspirin on a daily basis. This makes me think that blood and oxygen are not getting to my brain.

I did take a 7 day course of steroids that did help the headache.

I have taken 3 months pulsing biaxin and omnicef and 3 months doxy. I feel like the doxy makes it worse because it increases head pressure.

These symptoms are getting worse and it is scary.

Posts: 33 | From Chicago | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emh2l
Member # 18886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emh2l     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know what folks say about this. My LLMD wanted a SPECT scan, as well, for similar symptoms. (I have more trouble with cognitive/memory issues, too.) It is really expensive, around $8000 of which we would have to pay about $3000. What will it show that an MRI or CT scan won't ? LLMD also wanted it done at a hospital in his area and didn't think our in-network hospital would do a good job.
Posts: 41 | From SC | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to ask the doctor exactly what he would be looking for. These symptoms are very common with LD, so why does he feel that it is a necessary test? I would think that in time with treatment these symptoms would disappear. However, if he is considering another diagnosis, then it would make sense to do the test.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lyme doctor requests SPECT scans for patients (like me at the time) who had a high degree of memory problems. I think the headaches, migraines, seizures which I also had (still have to some degree) were not assessed with the SPECT.

To my understanding.

I think the SPECT measures function whereas the CAT and MRI measure structure.

So it is helpful to get a SPECT to detect hypo and hyper perfusion of blood flow into certain regions of the brain which would be consistent with lyme.

Overall, I think it would help the doctors understanding by adding another piece of the total picture of the patient.

The thing is, it is not an exact science as far as I know.

I was lucky that the $3,000 SPECT was covered by my insurance at the time.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonyp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonyp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am writing from Canada in which we do not have to pay for the SPECT directly. (trust me, we pay it thru our income taxes). So I had the test, because the doctor ordered it and it did not cost me out of pocket

I did have an abnormal SPECT which is the test that you need to determine if your blood flow is at flowing properly.

So what is the advantage of having of SPECT

- Another confirmation that you have Lyme. A great majority of Lymies have abnormal SPECTS

- The amount of decrease blood flow, may determine a different treatment method.

The disadvantage of the SPECT is the cost and the fact that you are introducing dye into your body. (small amounts, but none the less, dye)

Alot of literature suggest that this decreased blood flows improves with treatment. My headaches have improved since 12 months of treatment

So I would probably keep on treating and see if the headaches go away. It is a nice to have test, but not mandatory ( in my opinion) ( and assuming that you have to pay for it)

Tony

--------------------
Dx 3/2008 Pos. WB and Bart- igenex
Levequin 500 mg March 2008
Amox 6000 mg - May 2008
Doxy 400 mg - June - oct
Biaxin and Flagly 1000 each, oct-dec
Zitro, Malarone and Flagly Jan - feb
Remission for 6 months
Relapse Sept 2009 zithro/flagyl

Posts: 130 | From canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
donaldmn
Member # 16717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for donaldmn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Husband had chronic head pressure for almost 2 years before he finally saw a LLMD-based on his symptoms, she had him get a Spect, and sure enough he had severe brain encephalitis, caused by LD.

His previous MRI's and CT Scans showed nothing abnormal, except for a few white spots on the brain on the MRI he had done. The Encephalitis was never seen on any of these other tests.

He is now on IV Rocephin, which is supposed to be the best ABX to treat brain LD. No changes in his head pressure yet, but he is hoping that changes in the near future.

If your insurance covers it,(ours did) it might not hurt to have a Spect done, just to rule out encephalitis.

Good luck in whatever you decide...

Posts: 64 | From rock tavern ,new york | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had a Spect scan, but I have had those same symptoms, and they're mostly gone now. If I had to choose between paying for the scan or treatment, I'd spend the money on treatment.

just my opinion.

Patti

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollyM
Member # 15386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollyM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone, your knowledge is helpful to me!
Posts: 33 | From Chicago | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollyM
Member # 15386

Can I have it done anywhere? Does is need a radiologist knowledgeble with Lyme to do the test?
jenin98
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a spect scan after 1 yr of bicillin and oral abx , but my ears and vision are not getting better. My scan was done in NYC, and they said it is normal, and they are the ones who are experts at reading this for lymies. SO, I guess I will not be needing any IV abx, since my spect scan is normal.
Jenin

Posts: 455 | From Maryland | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
donaldmn
Member # 16717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for donaldmn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Hubby's LLMD ordered his Spect for him-he had to have it done in NYC at Columbia Medical Center. I think based on his symptoms, and with the negative MRI's he had in the past, she must have thought that a Spect Scan would show in more detail any other types of problems going on in the brain possibly caused by LD-and obviously, it did.

My Hubby never thought for a minute he had brain swelling prior to having the Spect Scan. He was pretty shaken when he received the results. Shorly after that, he started the IV Rocephin.

Even if your Neurologist doesn't believe in LD (most don't), tell him you want the scan done anyway, especially if he's willing to order one for you. You can always take your scan results to your LLMD, and let him interpret the results.

Have you had any MRI's(with/without contrast)done? These tests may rule out any major problems first before you go through the Spect Scan. If they come back negative, then you might want to pursue further testing. I would.

My Hubby had had major C-spine surgery in July 07', and it was 3 weeks after that that he developed this head pressure. Even though he's had a positive Spect done, he's currently in the process of having an EEG, Spinal tap, and Cervical MRI done by his Neurologist to rule out Spinal fluid leakage caused by the surgery that might be causing his head problems.

He's about 100% certain that this is LD, but still wants to rule out everything else.

Posts: 64 | From rock tavern ,new york | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement