LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Strange symptom, PLEASE READ

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strange symptom, PLEASE READ
katc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try to make this hort...need to know if anyone has had this experience.

I ate around 1:30 yesterday, felt pretty good.

Never ate again until 10:30 pm..fixed some frozen TGIF tater skins.

I only ate 3...throat start getting hard to clear, pressure in ears. Then my entire rib cage area felt tight. (Like when u r pregnant and the bay is up in your ribs and you try to arch back ) It's the best way I have of explaining it.

Well this is followed by a strange sensation in both of my lower legs. Within seconds of tht I start to feel paralyzed. I know i need to swallow but I can't. I truly have no words to describe this. I would say my body is going into shock or something, but I don't know.

This subsides after a few minutes, but I still feel really off. Just not as severe.

About an hour after the onset of this, I begin to urinate as if I am drunk. I can literally fill up a cup that u use for collection of urine every 10 minutes. And I haven't had hardly anything to drink. It has t mean something.

I was in the hospital twice for this and both times sent home with no explanation.

They drew blood, urine and chest X ray. All fine.

At thi point, I don't really think this even has to do with the Lyme. I just know. I have had Lyme for 16 years and never been treated for it.
It just makes me think maybe this is something else.

Als, I get the throat clearing and ear pressure often now. I can even do it just from taking nexium with water.

Anybody who even thinks they might have some insight, please respond. In 16 years of symptoms, this is by far the worst for me.

Thank You

Posts: 117 | From Winston Salem NC | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi katc,

It sounds like you are having a food (or food additive) reaction. I had one in particular a couple years ago that sent me to urgent care and then they sent me to the ER. NOT fun.

Still not sure what it was but I am almost convinced it was an additive in Thai Iced tea mix from a Thai restaurant we used to frequent. Terrible symptoms, for DAYS. For many times before this incident, the tea would make me feel funny, dizzy, headachey, off, but I would just ignore it!

Other foods and additives have caused symptoms like yours, and others. It took me a long time to figure that out - to put 2 and 2 together.

You might want to seriously consider not eating nightshade family foods (like potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, etc.) for at LEAST several weeks to rule out a nightshade sensitivity. There are some really good posts about food sensitivities and symptoms and elimination diets on this forum.

It sounds to me to be pretty clear, but you can't know until you do an elimination diet for a couple to 6 months and see if that symptom goes away, then add in a small amount of maybe potato and see if it happens again. My LLMD prescribed this for me. Maybe your doc can help you with this?

If you can take out other possible culprits that's even better (gluten, dairy, etc.), and then add one in at a time after the break, waiting a while between to see what might be the problem. You might have developed a sensitivity/intolerance to several things with Lyme, as I did.

Until I started having problems very similar to yours, I didn't know about nightshade foods - I found out that about 60% (or more?) of people have sensitivity to them, but some just don't eat enough or have as strong reactions to notice it. Lyme can cause or increase food sensitivities due to having chronic inflammation - it makes the digestive system/body less able to cope so that it becomes like a toxin.

Also, you might want to try to find out what was in those TGIF's potato skins besides potatoes - they may have been coated in preservatives and artificial flavorings/MSG - MSG is a HUGE culprit for neuro-effects and allergic reactions! As is aspartame and similar flavorings. Very bad stuff, but especially for Lymies.

Good luck in your investigation!

---

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
katc,

I can relate to the peeing, ear pressure, chest tightness, and swallowing. I have not felt paralyzed in the literal sense, only mentally by these episodes.

I have been evaluated by an ENT, gastro, and had barium studies that have all come out normal. My kidney function is excellent. And supposedly, my heart and all contained within that area is/are fine too.

I DO believe that TBI's are responsible. Otherwise something would show up on standard tests. I think that it is some sort of cranial nerve involvement.

Interestingly, I was put on a z-pak for an upper respritory infection about 10 days ago. and after day two I had no swallowing issues. After the z-pak was completed, 2 days later the swallowing stuff came back.

I think that this verifies that symptoms are caused by TBI's. Back on zith and swallowing is again improving.

I don't know if this helps you much. Oh yes, I have constant ear pressure and mucous/throat clearing.

Are you planning to be treated for Lyme? I sure hope so.

Best,
Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Nenet-- sounds like food allergies=
Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should also say than MANY people have said that with treatment, their sensitivities subsided or went completely away! My LLMD says this is possible as well.

So one day I get to look forward to eating some of these foods again, in moderation.

So if you DO have food sensitivity(ies), it IS Lyme-related for many - it is Lyme that is causing or worsening the sensitivity.

---

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to mention that these new symptoms started like this:

trouble breathing, like someone was sitting on me
feeling of hands around my throat
constant throat clearing
ear pressure

All started around June after being stung by a wasp, which gave me almost the same reaction ( the paralyzed feeling)

That's why I eel this is allergic reactions. have had skin and blood tests which only show corn, however I don't react when I have corn.

Also, I have ate these before almost daily and they idn't bother me. Then once they did. So I didn't eat them for a while. Later I ate them again and it didn't bother me. Then eating them last night, bam, it happene again. So if it's allergic, why not every time I eat it?

I don't understand this.

Thanks SO MUCH for your responses

Posts: 117 | From Winston Salem NC | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Your blood sugar might have been very low for having no food from 1:30 until after 10 pm. That can set off a cascade of problems.

Commercially grown potatoes have a high concentration of farm chemicals, resulting in high organophosphates. These are hard for the liver to process.

As nenet mentioned above, there are probably other additives, maybe even MSG (Monosodium Glutamate). MSG, alone can present all sorts of strange reactions. MSG also has many names. You'd have to google for those.

I went to their site but they do not list ingredients. Do you still have the box? Also check the sodium content. That is likely high and could contribute to your reaction.

Trans fats, too, can cause immediate neuro symptoms.

-

[ 03-02-2009, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Yeast Extract seems to be the code word for MSG. I could only find one kind of the Potato Skins for an ingredient list. Nitrites, too, can cause some harsh symptoms.

http://www.migrainephd.com/index_files/Page374.htm

MSG - Other names you Ought to know!

Here are just a few of the other names for MSG:

Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein

Hydrolyzed Protein

Hydrolyzed Plant Protein Plant Protein Extract

Sodium Caseinate

Calcium Caseinate

Yeast Extract

Textured Protein

Autolyzed Yeast

Hydrolyzed Oat flour

Malt extract

Malt Flavoring

Bouillon

Broth Stock

Flavoring

Natural Flavoring

Natural Beef or Chicken Flavoring

Seasoning

Spices

Carrageenan

Enzymes

Soy Protein Concentrate

Soy Protein Isolate

Whey Protein Concentrate (depending upon processing)

=======================

http://tinyurl.com/bx59oh

T.G.I. Friday's Potato Skins, Cheddar & Bacon

Ingredients:

Potato Skins (Baked Potatoes, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil),

Cheddar Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes,

Annatto [Color]),

Bacon (Cured with Water, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite),

Cheddar Cheese Sauce ([Water, Aged Cheddar Cheese (Cultured Milk, Salt, Enzymes, Annatto [Color]),

Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil,

Modified Cornstarch,

Sodium Phosphate,

Salt,

Cellulose Gum,

Mono - and Diglycerides,

Lactic Acid,

Spice,

Yeast Extract,

Annatto (Color),

Butter Oil,

Natural Flavor]),

Salt.

- 4 grams of transfats, etc. - Further details listed at link

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Hope you are feeling better today.

-

katc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17210

It does have yeast extract.

I just ate 2 eggs/toast/water

After just 2 bites my eas are so full of pressure it is affecting my hearing.

Why? And why does it not happen every time I eat?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement