LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HELP! Really weird RASH!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP! Really weird RASH!!!
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeafFromLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea what it is or from, but its UGLY and ITCHY!!!!!! Raised, red little bumps but in clusters all over my arms and chest!

Could it be a reaction to meds? Been on Biaxin and plaquenil for 3 weeks now... I woke up with it, and then took my morning dose of meds and seems to be getting worse, but it could be my imagination too... (the getting worse part)

Any thoughts?? I called my PCP because LLMD is tough to get, but no call back yet.

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

www.24weekperfectbaby.blogspot.com

Son's blog born at 24 weeks.

Posts: 356 | From massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One possibility is granuloma annulare. My daughter has this rash.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you post a picture of the rash?
Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeafFromLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will try... Do you know how I would do it? Let me see if I can hang on....

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

Posts: 356 | From massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

I don't know how to get it on here....

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Nope can't do it... I just read through the FAQ'as and it seems for security no uploads... sorry.

I got a GREAT picture of it too! I would love for some to see it... OOOOO I know, I can post it on my son's blog??? Maybe you could see it there?

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Well NOW I AM TOTALLY FREAKED!!!!!!!!!

I just looked up Rock Mt Spotted Fever and thats kind of what my rash looks like!!! Keeping in mind I am probably freaking myself out for nothing but.....

How do you know if thats what it is or not?????

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you post it on your son's site for now??
Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Yes I will... Please look at it, I'm starting to get nervous... I will post it right now! Thanks!!!!!

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erika,

You can post a picture here, you just need to upload it to an image hosting site, like image shack or tinypic, there are many different sites that will host your photos (you can google search the phrase: image hosting).

I will use http://imageshack.us/ as an example.

1. Go to the link, then click "Browse"

2. Browse through your computer to navigate to your image (do you have it on your desktop or in another folder?)

3. Click on your photo to choose it, then click "Upload"

4. Once it is loaded to the hosting site, it will give you a link to the image

5. Then you copy that link into a post here, and it will be visible to us

I hope that helps!

By the way, I have had all sorts of rashes since my Lyme flared a few years ago, and since starting treatment. In my case the LLMD found each to be TBD-related (die-off toxins releasing through skin, etc.) and not a drug reaction.

Of course each case should be looked at by your doctor though. I would make sure to have good photos of the rash and bring this up to your LLMD soon.

---

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Its there! Tell me what you think!

I will also do what nenet suggested... Give me a few minutes. Thanks!!!!!!! [Smile]

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4294/p10105461.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4466/p1010546.jpg

Here they are... any thoughts???

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

up

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Erika - I can see the photos, but they are kind of blurry to me, and hard to tell what's there. Is there any way you can get some better shots of the rash?

Maybe it's just me that can't see it too well?

I'm not sure beyond that other than to make sure you get some good pics of the rash and show them to your doctor as soon as possible, unless you can see them before it goes away, which is best. That way they might even be able to do a biopsy and culture from it?

--

--------------------

Lymenet Success Stories

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

So what do I do if thats what it is? My doc won't see me today... Is it contagious?

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well you need to rife ASAP for RMSF or take DOXY ..go to your primary or ER ASAP..and tell them your symotms...gogle...and so they have it in record so you get treatment
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

I just read about RMSF a little more and I don't have a high fever so I am not sure thats what it is.

I think I will just stop meds for a bit and see if it gets better. Maybe later when I don't have to drive anywhere I will take some benadryl and see what it does.

Thanks everyone! Sorry for freaking out!

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

nenet
Member # 13174

Erika, once infections go chronic they don't necessarily present with the acute symptoms (high fever etc.).

You really need to have your rash evaluated by a professional. Don't stop your meds without consulting your doctor by phone ok? If this rash is being caused by disease then that could be VERY bad! If it is being caused by the med then you need to discuss w/your doctor and only stop with his advice!

Please call your doctor! We can only help so much here. We are not doctors, even if we did stay at a Holiday Inn last night, or even every night.

But seriously! Please call your doctor before making any changes. A rash needs to be evaluated - it could be very important.

Maybe you could call your LLMD and send them the link to your photos. That is sometimes possible.

Just PLEASE don't shrug this off - better safe than sorry.

---

--------------------

Lymenet Success Stories

DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Sorry nenet I should have clarified... I did talk to my PCP and he told me to stop meds.. Although he is not LLMD that was his advice. I also called LLMD but no call bk.

I am still a bit nervous about it but... If it gets worse or I start feeling weird I'll go from there. For now its my only option as my son just had surgery this AM and I cannot bring him with me to the ER and my doc is booked solid (Supposedly)

Thansk for everyones input, I really appreciate it!

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

nenet
Member # 13174

Oh thank you Erika for clarifying! Glad you got someone on phone and got some advice.

Can you possibly take a few more pics with a better focus on your arm (and anywhere else it might be) for when you do get to see your LLMD? If a picture is good enough it might be almost as good as him seeing it in person.

I'm sorry to hear your son just had to have surgery - I hope he is ok and recovers from his surgery soon!

You have my best wishes. [Smile]

---

--------------------

Lymenet Success Stories

DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5439/p10105462.jpg

Heres another... not sure if its any better.....

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

nenet
Member # 13174

That's a lot better! The only thing that could make it perfect is some good lighting and a macro focus capability (close-up focus).

If you wanted to try a perfect pic you could have someone take the pic for you and have the camera on a stable surface or tripod, and your arm rested on something so it doesn't move. Then have plenty of good light in the room. Lamps, sunlight, etc.

But that's a good photo to me, though I still don't know what it is. Does it itch? Hurt? Are the bumps opaque or are they translucent and show something inside like clear pus etc? Sorry for the graphic questions.

I hope you feel better soon Erika.

---

--------------------

Lymenet Success Stories

Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DFL,

I have been checking out rashes, since I have a rash on the knuckles of my hands and it looks like a medication reaction.

When I googled rashes, they came up. Mine don't itch, mine burn like fire.

None of my medicines changed, but you mentioned you were taking Biaxin....I just started that, but I had my rash before I started taking it. I can't think of any new lotions, oils, creams...have you used anything different??

I think it is medication related.....please let us know.

Thanks,
Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Per my Medical Drug Reference book, biaxin side effects include: itching, rash, and hives.

(Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are COMMON side effects of biaxin, along with anorexia. I know you are experiencing these big time.)

Common side effects of plaquenil include anorexia, nausea and vomiting. Also, "lichen planus-like eruptions, pleomorphic skin eruptions, itching and skin and mucosal pigmentary changes."

So, I am hoping the biaxin or plaquenil caused your rash.

Congratulations on getting off this medication combo. I read how you have lost 20 lbs in 4 weeks. That is too much of a side effect to expect a person to handle. There are other drugs to treat lyme and company. Hope you get changed to one you can tolerate easily. You have suffered.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO , I beilive the RMSF came out...

[ 03-24-2009, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Alv ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You really do need to find out if it's RMSF or an allergy. VERY important!

Since it's the right time for your 3-5 wk herx, it really could be RMSF.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

What is something else that would help me determine if it is RMSF? I feel like if I go to the ER they're going to think I'm nuts... Especially once I drop the Lyme bomb!

I wish you guys could come over and look at it!! [Smile] I'm making pizza...... [Smile] You guys are the best! I will keep trying to figure out what to do..

Do you think I should actually suggest RMSF to a doctor? Or let them? Will they comitt me for Hypocondria (SP)? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

UUUGGGHHH!!!! I just called my mom for her opinion on what to do about this stupid rash and I mentioned RMSF and she hysterically laughed at me....

I hate this F'ing disease!

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DFL,

You know, now that I think of it....I have Ehrlichia....I was told this was the RMSF, without the fever!!

It does make sense that if you treat lyme the bart symptoms come out.......maybe this is what my rash is too.

I have been treating for Lyme for 4 months, so maybe the rash is coming out because I am kicking down the Lyme.

I only wish that could be true!!!

Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really not sure what it is.

I see people suggesting Rocky M. Testing for RMSF is easy enough and if it doesn't cost you, run that along with whatever your LLMD or GP thinks. The rash may come and go. If you notice swelling or any other strange symptoms following the rash, then make sure to report that to your doctor as well.

Look up your medications on rxlist.com so that you're clear about those side effects and such. I'm not saying that's the problem, but being informed is good.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nellypointis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nellypointis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alv:
YES DEFINITLY RMSF !
I garanty you 100%.Mine came out same , so my daughters and she was tested by me with the TENSOR and PENDULUM and reacted to treatment and RIFE confirmed....

I have had it late stage...it is RMSF FOR SURE.

Rubbish! go back and pendulum yourself silly, then you can rife your brain, you never know, it might help some!

Nelly

Posts: 416 | From france | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swachsler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swachsler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Erika,

I don't know anything abt RMSF, so I can't speak to that.

And I haven't look at the photos because I remember better the description than the actual appearance of what I'm thinking of.

Your description sounds like it *might* be hives.

If you haven't googled hives, you might just want to check that out.

Hives can be an allergic reaction to meds, bug bites, food, or basically anything.

They can also be caused by anxiety. This happened to a friend of mine.

She sometimes get hives from bug allergies, and then she got them and was trying to figure out what the heck insects got to her, and all over in this weird pattern, and it turned out, none.

She was in super anxiety without knowing it. Then, later it hit, and she realized what the hives were. Then they went away.

I'm not saying this is what it is. I don't know. I just thought I would offer it as a possibility for research.

And it would be great if it really was something that was not an indicator of a dreaded new TBD. So, I'm just also trying to be hopeful.

(I know. That and $1.95 will get you a cup of coffee.)

But I do agree you should try to see your LLD or at least PCP, as soon as you can, and if they don't know what it is, maybe referral to a dermatologist.

Take care!
-sharon

Posts: 223 | From Western Mass. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Thanks everyone... I'll just wait it out and see what happens!

Nelly you sound angry, did we offend you???

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

hshbmom
Member # 9478

Thanks for posting these pictures.

Do you have these on the soles of your feet and the palms of your hands?

You can have spot-less RMSF.

Have you taken Benadryl in case this is an allergic reaction?

DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Nope those seem to be the only 2 places I DON"T have it!!! Weird..... [Razz]

Haven't taken benadryl because I was afraid it would make me tired and my son had surgery today and nobody was here with us... Maybe I will now though???

The rash is still pretty bad I look like a Leper! [Smile]

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

hshbmom
Member # 9478

Are you able to get into see a dermatologist or your LLMD?

Has the rash changed today? If so, take some new pictures.

Is it still red, itchy, and bumpy?

nellypointis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nellypointis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nelly you sound angry, did we offend you??? [/QB]
Erika,

No you didn't but the person who told you she KNEW it was RMSF, and she was sure of it because in her daughter's case the pendulum told her!(and God only knows what else, the tensor, and then rifing cured it!) Yes that made me angry.

I don't know what your rash is (allergy to the abx, toxins from the dying bugs etc) but give yourself a break! don't listen to advice based on these whacko methods, and especially do not listen to people who say they're SURE of what you have on the basis of a photo of your spots.

Nelly

Posts: 416 | From france | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Thanks Nelly, Sorry. I just thought my topic and pics may have been offensive. Thanks for clarifying. [Smile]

HSH,
The rash is still the same, my LLMD thinks its a reaction to one of my meds, he is sending me for blood work. but insists I still take it. We'll see!

BTW, this may sounds stupid but... what's a pendulum?

Thanks for the help everyone!

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been having what looks like a similar rash except that mine presents over most of my body and is intensely itchy on the tops of the feet in particular: so itchy that I was swollen all over last evening, with puffy lips too.

In my case the rash appears to be medication-related, as I had it a month ago [on Tinidazole, Rifampin and Zithromax], stopped all abx, rash died down after 1 week, I got tested at private Breakspear Hospital for sensitivity, took desensitising drops for 10 days [injections] before resuming abx Monday:

Bingo! as I said earlier, same rash started again Monday evening and was worse than ever yesterday, despite my stopping the abx again.

If your rash is intense as mine, I think it would be unbearable and possibly dangerous, to plough on with the meds if one of them is the culprit, especially as allergic responses can get more powerful, as mine did.

If you feel your reaction seems to you to be getting more severe, I would tackle your LLMD again about stopping it,

Carry

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Thanks Carry

My rash sounds as intense as yours... VERY Itchy! Has spread to my stomach and legs as well as arms... I will try the meds one more time and see what happens...

Thanks for your input, I hope you get better soon!

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Erica; I was bathing my feet and legs non-stop in apple cider vinegar last night, am still swollen all over this morning, and even my gums have a different surface from usual, so it is literally a whole-body rejection! I just need to sit it out. I'm taking antihistamine in the day and charcoal at night to try to speed up improvement; have also wondered whether sodium bicarb. might help [half a tespoon in warm water].

Do let us know how you are: my LLMD has rung and told me to stop [I had already done so!], so I hope yours is saying the same: perhaps he doesn't realise the degree of the reaction, and assumes it's something bearable that you need to grit your teeth and get on with...I hope you're OK,

Carry

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laura_from_nh
Member # 18885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laura_from_nh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Erika, I had the EXACT same rash and experience as you within the same time from from being on biaxin and plaquinil.
I know HOW awful and insanely itchy it is and feel for you!!

Mine lasted 7 or so days. The itching progressively died down. I did stop the plaquinil, a couple of days into the rash, but think that it was coincidence that the rash went away. The reason I think this is because 30 days (to the day) after the rash appeared, it appeared AGAIN and this time I was on an entirely new protocol of medication/supplements.

From what I gather, the rash is the lyme dying off, so it is a good thing. Watch very closely as the rash subsides, becaues the rash on my torso in the last days developed a new look. It looked as if I broke blood vessels when scratching, but very luckily for me, I was at my LLMD that very day and he said that was a classic Bartonella sign and was able to clinically diagnose me with Bartonella.

In the meantime, there will not be much you can do for the itching as it is not a dermatologic response. My sister is a doctor and I was on vacation with her when it happened to she prescribed medication and topicals to use, but none helped. The only thing that really did help, was to put cold packs on the rash. Not sure about your rash, but mine was hot to the touch.

If you hit on my posts, I have written a couple of times about the rash, so you can read a bit more about the experience.

I just PM-ed you a link to see pix of my rash throughout the days. Erika (and anyone one else who may also have this awful rash) feel free to PM me if you have questions. I don't get on the forum too often, but PMs come to my email so I can get right back to you when I know a PM is waiting.

--------------------
Misdiagnosed and untreated from 1993-2008.
- iGenex positive western blot for LD: 9/08
- Clinical diagnosis for Babesia: 2/09
- Positive blood smear for Bartonella: 3/09

Started treatment: 1/09

Posts: 91 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laura_from_nh
Member # 18885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laura_from_nh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
p.s. I just read this whole thread. Like I said, my LLMD saw my rash when it was in all of its glory and did not say anything about Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. And I looked at the photo of the rash on your arm and that could have been MY arm this month and last month.

I think it is the lyme dying off. I was terribly scared as well when it started, but it did go away within 7-10 days and then came back the next month and lasted for less time and was not as widespread or as itchy.

I have a followup phone consultation with my LLMDs PA tomorrow and will report what her thoughts on the rash.

Talk to your LLMD before jumping to any conclusions.

Cold packs help!! I took wash clothes, wet them and froze them and put them on the itchiest parts of my body and that was the most effective of all the things I tried.

--------------------
Misdiagnosed and untreated from 1993-2008.
- iGenex positive western blot for LD: 9/08
- Clinical diagnosis for Babesia: 2/09
- Positive blood smear for Bartonella: 3/09

Started treatment: 1/09

Posts: 91 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement