LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Pharmacy not filling perscription for Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pharmacy not filling perscription for Lyme
sickingeorgia
Member # 18419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickingeorgia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband was diagnosed two weeks ago with Lyme after an exhaustive 11 month search for a diagnosis. He was started out on 100 mg of doxycycline in the morning and 100 mg of doxycycline in the evening. After two weeks at this level, the LLMD increased the dosage to 200 mg in the morning and 200 mg in the evening. I went to pick up the perscription this evening and the pharmacy refused to fill the perscription, asking what he was being treated for. When I told them Lyme, the pharmasist said the dosage was double what it should be and refused to fill the perscription. Has anyone else encountered this? What do we do?!
Posts: 8 | From Georgia | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's nutty. Why wouldn't the pharmacist call your husband's doctor to confirm the amount?

Go to another pharmacy and file a complaint against this pharmacist.

If he/she thinks 400 mg doxy is a lot, you'd better get another pharmacist.

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I believe that's illegal and an invasion of privacy.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its not up to the pharmacist. He cannot override a doctors orders.
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawnee
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Illegal. I think I'd be letting him know he was being reported.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would find another pharmacy.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds way out of line to me. I don't think the pharmacy is allowed to do that.

If anything, they might need to verify the dosage with your husband's doctor.

Hope you are able to get his medicine without more trouble.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I can think of is that the pharmacist may have wanted to check with the doctor that the prescription was correct. That he CAN do. But he can't simply deny the request.

Feel free to show him the front page of the IDSA guidelines (the 100mg 2X/day guidelines). The front page says, in small print:
quote:
It is important to realize that guidelines cannot always account for individual variation among patients. They are not intended to supplant physician judgment with respect to particular patients or special clinical situations.
~ Sharon
Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

When you find a new pharmacy, do not tell them about lyme -

if pressed you can just say something like "some sort of strange infection" like you are not even sure exactly what - in a very low key sort of way.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
No, I believe that's illegal and an invasion of privacy.

I think it IS illegal to do that! and an invasion of privacy to boot!

Ditto!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pharmacist has the right to refuse if he feels in his opinion it is harmful to the patient.

I know when I was working in a hospital as a nurse I refused to give my patient an injection because in my opinion he was having a reaction to that medication.

The symptoms I viewed him having where backed up by the PDR. The head nurse told me to give it to him anyway and I refused.

She called the dr and he cut the order because the dr agreed. If I would have given him the injection and he died it would have been on my shoulders.

I know it is frustrating and it feels invasive given what we are dealing with. Sorry you had to go through this,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
omgwtfbbq
Unregistered

find a new pharmacy, simple.

I have been told my dose of abx was higher than normal, and I just mumble something along the lines of that being what works for me and yes that was the dose I discussed with my doctor.

MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nursing discresion is diff. from

pharm. responsabilities. asking pt

for dx is invasion of privacy. if

order is verified with md (have

ran into this) then rx is filled.

agree with above, change phar.,

u r not obligated to say dx.. just

say infection if feel u need to

respond. md orders, once verified

r to b dispensed as ordered and pt

can be counseled on risk, etc. report pharm maybe if store does

not respond. pharm. r licenced,

hate for anyone licence to b reported if other avenues of

resolution not tried. I would b

upset if my licence was reported

without chance to fix it..however

I am not a pharmasict. may look

into pharm licence, regs, then talk

to store owner?? in mean time use new one

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] Sick In Georgia: That pharmacist is (probably unkowingly) breaking federal law.
HE isn't Allowed to regulate dosing of any dispensed drug as prescribed by an M.D. You could probably get him fired by reporting this to the pharmacy's head office.
But I wouldn't burn bridges until you find a place that you can 'switch' to... not difficult to do in these prescription-proliferous days.
I doubt you'll encounter this again. If so, let us Know... & let the DOC know! (Eeegazeezus)

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
glm: He has a right to refuse only so FAR as he can feel the need to verify dosing w/ the doctor's office. A good example is being given an Rx for a drug that he has "good reason to believe will interact dangerously" with another drug previously dispensed.
In this case, he MUST follow up with communication (typ call or FAX) with the doctor or doctor's staff.
He can't simply refuse the prescription.
This acc to a friend who works as a local certified pharmacist.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not saying I agree with not being able to get your prescription filled but here is what I found..

It is specified in the Pharmacy laws of many states that it is the pharmacists duty to refuse to dispense if, in the pharmacists professional judgement filling the prescription as written could cause inadvertant harm to the patient.

In this case he might have been alarmed at the high Doxy dose which he probably doesn't see.

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are different doses for doxy... some go by weight.

http://www.world-drugs.net/order_generic_doxycycline.php#doxycycline_dosage

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

WELL... he can't often judge what would or Wouldn't "cause inadvertant harm to the patient", as he is not familiar with Many things. First, he's not familiar with the patient's medical records, all other drugs he's on (usually the case) nor is he familiar with drug treatment histories of the patient. The pharmacist's job is to carefully dispense.

But if something seems odd or erroneous, my pharma friend is instructed to call the doctor's & verify things. If he can't reach anyone, he puts them off a day.

It's possible this GA pharmicist is unfamiliar with 200mg b.i.d., but that wouldn't give him reason to refuse the Rx.

An interesting side-note, my friend has seen many more 200mg bid Rx's for doxy in the last 2 years.
Guess the Merrimack valley where he works is seeing a Jump in Lyme cases, & MDs that are going with ILADS protocols over the IDSA. (hooray!)

Finally, I would Think proper doxy dosing is more a matter of the patient's skin surface area than weight, i.e: a 175# eskimo needs less than a lanky 175# 6'4" 20-yr old. I surmise this due to the fact that the 'cyclines concentrate in the skin. Haven't seen it discussed though.

Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awwwww, too bad for the pharmacist. 1. He'll be getting a complaint. 2. He'll be losing your business. (My drugs last year were $24,000). Talk about shooting himself in his own foot ...

Who knows why he did it? Some people are zealots, some people are ignorant of lyme, and some are super conservative. I bet there are provisions in the law that any professional can refuse an action if they think it is going to cause harm (cite: Law and Order rerun #122 . . . lol)

To be a little more serious, Seriously >>> you want your pharmacist to smile when you come in. How's it going? Any changes? Remember to stay out of the sun on this one . . . etc. You want him/her on your side for a number of reasons.

I wonder what they did to the pharmacist that refused giving birth control pills?

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell them call the Dr.
And they have to fill it. But insurance may not pay because its in the same month?

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy G.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy G.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pharmacy made me wait until the dosage was confirmed by my doc. (Same thing - 400 mg doxy/day)They were quite apologetic about it and when my doc did not call them right back they gave me pills for a few days.

I felt like they were doing something that was standard practice. My doc clearly wrote on the script "for Lyme arthritis" so it was no secret.

I do have the feeling that we are outside the regular medical establishment in so many ways. It becomes a tightrope walk to get the care we need.

The next thing that happened is that my insurance stopped paying for it since they had some sort of threshold for amount of doxy prescribed over a period of time. Fortunately it is not a very expensive med.

Still, I am grateful for all the help I have had from this site, from my doctor and all the support I have had from family and friends. And the insurance did pay for my Igenex test. Grateful.

--------------------
Judy G.

Posts: 122 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mustluvdogs
Member # 18273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustluvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a new pharmacist. Hopefully pharmacist didn't report doctor.

When I thought I had FMS and after 4 years started narcotics, my pharmacist asked me what was wrong with me and i told her none of her business.

That's just not right. He should have called the doctor to confirm.

Good luck

Posts: 46 | From NE Ohio | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's sickingeorgia?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought of something this morning.

My PCP now transmits prescription requests directly to the pharmacy near my home via computer. It is very convenient. It seems that would also clear up any questions the pharmacist might have about the correctness of the Rx.

Don't get me wrong, though. I think my PCP is horrible and I am changing to someone else, but I do like the prescription-ordering service she provides.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmj
Member # 18400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That happened to us too. The dosage for the Azithromycin was twice the normal dose so the pharmacist refused to fill until such time as he had spoken to the doctor. The LLMD called him back and confirmed the dosage and we picked up the rx.
Once they have spoken to your doc, I don't believe that they have the right to refuse meds. The insurance company might however.

Posts: 42 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wimenin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wimenin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to another pharmacy, and if they ask what the treatment is for, say its personal. If they press, tell them that if they really want to know, they can contact your doctor for verification. If they say they won't fill it without knowing why, signal them to come closer to you, whisper that its a highly contagious STD, and then be sure to shake their hand before you leave!! : - )

Seriously, they can't override a doctors prescription. If that happens again, ask to speak to the manager, get all of the employees full names, and let them know you'll be contacting the state licensing and examining board, and state dept of health as well.

Its sad when you cant admit to lyme.. cancer, sure... STD..no problem.. but lyme...no.

Posts: 514 | From . | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NeuroEcclectic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeuroEcclectic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Georgia,

In my memory the only time that

a pharmacist can expect an answer or have the

right to ask that question is if it is a

narcotic.

Change to another pharmacy as others have

suggested and if that happens again tell the

pharmacist to consult with your physician over

the telephone.

Sorry that this happened.

Posts: 123 | From Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we need a legal answer state by state.

What are the rights of patients being prescribed their medication?

Not an opinion, but fact.

Can anyone site documentation as to the law, state by state?

I too, would like to know this answer. I have been getting more and more apprehensive about returning to the Pharmacy for refills on my son.

They have not given me a problem....yet.

But I don't like how stressed I get because of what grief they may give me.

Please, maybe there is a lawyer on the board.....what are the facts?

2roads

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sickingeorgia....are you still here? Can you give us an update?

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickingeorgia
Member # 18419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickingeorgia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you to everyone who posted a response! Just wanted to give you all an update that the pharmacy did call the LLMD to confirm the dosage and they did end up filling the perscription after all. Thanks again for the advice and suppport!
Posts: 8 | From Georgia | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

good!! thx for coming back to reply.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement