LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Tanning - good or bad?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tanning - good or bad?
LymieLaura
Member # 19367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymieLaura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to go tanning (indoor). Is UV radiation good or bad for Lyme patients? I thought it might be good because it might kill the bugs.. but then I thought it might be bad because I think I heard tanning lowers immune system function.

Anyone know for sure?

Posts: 34 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bad, unless you like the prospect of cancer.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asummers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asummers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are on antibiotics like Doxy - you can't go near sunlight. I have to drive with gloves on!Be sure to read labels on your meds for any warnings in regards to sunlight.
Posts: 379 | From Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard mixed things on this topic.

I used to love to go tanning but my mom has skin cancer so I haven't went for many years.

I do know that you can't if you are on doxycycline or other antibiotics in it's class.

Even on cloudy days you are suppose to cover up. I got a little bit of sun the other day by driving with my moon roof open on a partly cloudy day. Was very surprised!! I guess it can cause permanent damage to your eyes too.

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't do it. You could be severely burned.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoot
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think moderation is the key...make sure you are exposed to the UVB rays. I am pretty sure UVB rays are the rays that help you convert vitamin D to its active form. This actually has an immune boosting effect and is ANTICANCER.

MODERATION...for natural sunlight I think they recommend 20 minutes a day. Although certain antibiotics could lower the threshold.

Jennifer

Posts: 236 | From Illinois | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shelly23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shelly23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an upcoming wedding and i got an organic spray on tan

--------------------
Shelly
~ IGM~Positive
CDC Positive
23-25 +
31+++
34++
41+

I am a Dreamer, Believer, and Conquer; I will overcome this disease !!!

Posts: 382 | From Alabama Via PA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no such thing as a safe tanning bed.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it make you feel good?

If it does, I would do it. If not, don't.

Go slow, be safe, don't burn, get UVBs.

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Think about it, though. Is the the glow to your skin that makes you feel good? That would be purely cosmetic.

Sure, we all like to have a healthy glow but tanning beds can be very dangerous for many reasons. It's not nice to fool Mother Nature.

However, to let the SUN shine on our skin for at least 20 minutes a day is very good - UNLESS you are on doxycycline or other meds that caution about sun exposure.

It is getting to be the time of year (soon in New Hampshire, even) where you can feel the sun on your skin. Be sure, first, to consult your doctor and your Rx's patient info. pages.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymieLaura
Member # 19367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymieLaura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not currently on antibiotics.. I am going to my LLMD to get them tomorrow, that's why I am getting my tanning in now.

And also I know it's not healthy, but I believe that's a personal choice. I was just asking about tanning in terms of doing it with Lyme.

So I went tanning today.. and it induced a herx! I believe it's because I got a little sunburned on my face.. and my face feels like its on fire. It's making my whole head hot and maybe the heat is killing of those suckers.

It sucks because I feel like crap.. but at the same time, I'm happy those little guys are dying [Smile]

Posts: 34 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Unfortunately, a human body is not be able to withstand the degree of heat and length of time required to kill spirochetes.

However, if you go to a gym or health club you might see about low heat saunas. The heat can help with the liver and lymph tissue being able to flush out the toxic by-products of lyme.

Your LLMD tomorrow might be able to answer questions for you about the temperature range of sauna use. Lower is better - just enough to induce a sweat but not make you feel ill.

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow (today in some time zones already).

The inflammation and repair work that your body is doing for your skin may interfere with the addition of meds that may additionally stress your body.

You might need to wait until the sunburn is settled down before beginning any treatment prescribed tomorrow. Be sure to ask your LLMD so that you are clear as to how long s/he may want you to wait.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tanning beds make me feel so totaly relaxed and good.

And yes I have had skin cancer but it was from the sun not the tanning bed as it was years before I even knew about them.

It's not the look of my skin it is how I feel for days after I go. My back mucles feel so much better. It's like it takes all of the tension out of me.

I do think you should not go often though.

sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The conversion of light to Vitamin D doesn't appy in tanning beds as the light has to reach your eyes. In a tanning bed one's eyes are covered.

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone interested in tanning beds for part of your treatment protocol should do a search on this site. There are years of threads about the subject of sun and tanning beds.

Anything abused or overused is not good usually.

Some can't stand heat or sun due to their illness. Others find benefit from it.

I don't believe it does anything to kill the bad guys. It might drive them deeper or stir them up to excape the heat since they don't like it????

For myself it was only to help with pain and depression during the winter months. I would go once a week to 10 days @10-12 minutes.

Pain relief was only for several hours just like detox baths are for me. Anything to relieve pain vs knocking myself out is helpful.

For myself it has nothing to do with feeling better because I have a glow about me. It used to help me long for lyme & co with winter depression and mentally.

I have always had cabin fever or what is called SAD.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

There are also some special lights that anyone with SAD can use to let special rays into the eyes.

Some of those can also help the immune system.

-

tcw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tcw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The conversion of light to Vitamin D doesn't appy in tanning beds as the light has to reach your eyes. In a tanning bed one's eyes are covered.
I am pretty sure this is not the case. 7-DHC in the epidermal layer of skin reacts with UV radiation in the ~300nm range to form previtamin D3 which spontaneously converts to D3.

In other words, the UV-B produces vitamin D3 in your skin, eyes covered or not.

That is not a reason to tan though - you can buy vitamin D3 in a bottle at any drugstore, although popping a pill will never be the same as feeling the sun on your skin.

Then again it has been a long, cold winter here - some warm sunny days will be most welcome.

Posts: 263 | From Capital Region, NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you Google Dr. Mercola and tanning beds, several articles will come up. He does sell them .... his are modified from the normal tanning bed. Some salon beds will have the UVB rays lowered, which is the ray for producing Vitamin D.

I do have a Mercola bed and use it just enough to get a light tan ... enough to produce some vitamin D. I do feel better with it.

When natural sun is available, I use it instead.

The latest skin cancer studies show moderate sun exposure actually protects you from skin cancer.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorLuddite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoctorLuddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tan for 3 minutes once or twice a week, it doesn't tan my skin much but it keeps my vitamin D level up.
Posts: 442 | From Biddeford, ME | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been able to live away from the sunbelt for long...sun is good, at least for me and I tan easily, never tried or needed tanning booths. I feel much better when exposed to the sun.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement