LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Positive Elisa Neg Igg WB and POsitive Igm WB?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Positive Elisa Neg Igg WB and POsitive Igm WB?
anandinidd
Member # 19347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anandinidd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I've been reading about the difference in Western Blot tests but depending on the site I go to tell me different things. CDC said Igm means a recent infection and you should be retested if that was the only positive.
I currently have 2 Elisa tests positive and Western Blot Igm positive but Igg negative. I have been sick for 3 years. My first elisa was positive 3 years ago.
I'm so confused! My primary Dr. is treating me for Lyme with Doxy 200 mg a day, which I'm sure is not enough, but she thinks I do have Lyme.... but with no positive Igg CDCsays false positive. I had 3 bands positive on Igm.

Thanks for the input!

Posts: 13 | From nj | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi anandididd,

You really need to find a Lyme Literate MD...LLMD.

Go to the Seeking a Doctor board here and create a post asking for a LLMD in NJ. You will receive a private message with names.

You are not getting proper treatment.

A LLMD will treat you following the ILADS guidelines and will also be able to properly decide if you have coinfections which are very common.

The CDC criteria were set up many years ago and are for surveillance purposes only, not for diagnostic purposes.

Lyme is a clinical diagnosis based on history, symptoms and supported by labwork. Do yourself a big favor and find a LLMD fast.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What bands are present on your IGG? The CDC has left out some very specific lyme bands.

Any test saying you have lyme is better than none. Not that a positive result is necessary, but it sure helps. Most LLMDs treat based on your symptoms.

IGM - means there is an infection right this minute.

IGG - means there is old infection.

However, I know I have had this disease for 20 years and I have CDC positive IGM, but I am one band short from being CDC positive for IGG.

One thing I have read is that maybe the lyme has become active recently. My thought (soley my thought) is that my immune systems is so weak that the bacteria is constantly hitting my immune system.

Plus, if the bacteria is changing forms (cell wall deficient, cyst, L-Form) then your immune system keeps getting hit with a "new" invader; hence the positive IGM.

It is a very tough disease to figure out. What matters the most is getting a good LLMD and support from the people who have "been there" and "done that". So, you are in a good place.

Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tainabell
Member # 18270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tainabell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IGM and IGG is so confusing. I got dx with the disease in November, but had been suffering acute symptoms since September '06 and have possibly infected since 2000 or maybe even earlier.

But I tested negative on IGG and positive on IGM. So despite the fact that IGG indicates an "older" infection, the IGM is what is raging for me.

So I just wanted to let you know its possible. And I wouldn't base anything on the ELISA. Its highly inaccurate.

Posts: 55 | From New York | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if you have bands on both IGG andf IGM, Could it mean a new infection on top of an old? Because I was sick for 15 years and then found a tick crawling onme. A couple weeks later I could barely get out of be and have been very sick since. That was three years ago.

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe me--even if you had a positive ELISA and a CDC pos. WB, there'd still be a good chance you'd be told false positive. What it comes down to is that there's a coverup being directed from the top that's preventing doctors from learning how to effectively diagnose and treat Lyme patients, so there are probably only about 100 physicians nationwide who are able and willing to help us.

To learn more about this, you should check out ILADS.org, lyme-info.net, lymecryme.com, and lyme-rage.info

Read Dr. C's WB explanation at the top of the forum--if you're symptomatic and anything at all is positive, you need to treat.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement