LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has anyone ever had "ground glass nodules" in their lungs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone ever had "ground glass nodules" in their lungs?
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to get more information about this. Has anyone ever heard of it? I was just told this showed up on my CT scan while I was in the hospital.

My research shows that about half the time it means lung cancer. I'm wondering if anyone has any information or ideas. Naturally I am going to see my PCP and get referred to a pulmonologist, but while I'm waiting for all that to take place I'd appreciate any information anyone might have.

I have two, one is 9 mm and one is 3 mm, and they were not present on my CT scan about 5 weeks ago. I know this doesn't paint the best picture.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are these the same as granulomas?
Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you saw the two comments from different people who had this (and it was not cancer) in your 'sprung from the hospital' thread, right?

what does Schaller's babesia book say about lung involvement? I know he talks about some cases with fluid buildup in the lungs, and I wonder if the fast growth of that stuff has something to do with your starting more aggressive Lyme therapy.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do a goggle on ground glass in lungs. there's a lot of stuff.

unfortunately, i can't interpret it, but maybe you can.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maria, I did see the comments, which are what prompted me to post this thread, thinking others might have some more information.

I did google it, that's what I posted above. "Ground glass nodules" are very specific things, they are not fluid buildup or anything like that.

Here is the information I got:

"Pulmonary nodules 10 mm or less in diameter with ground-glass opacity component detected by high-resolution computed tomography have a high possibility of malignancy."

This is exactly what I have, and exactly what test I had.

Also found this:

"Nodules Suspicious for Malignancy:
Approximately 50% of incidentally detected nodules >8 mm are malignant."

So you can see my concern. I was hoping others might have some experience with "ground glass nodules."

--------------------

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeparfait
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy,

So glad you are finally home.

I have a Dr. in Germany that I would like you to contact for info and her opinion if you like.

I just went to her lecture in NY/NJ on the

immune disfunction and detox related to cancer

and lesions in the breast, lung and uterus. She

is a surgeon and ND.

PM me and I will give you her info if you like. She is amazing and has helped several famous celebrities and many americans. She does all

natural treatments and actually understands lyme

disease as well. She does not believe cutting

out is the best thing nor chemo, unless it is

the last step. There are much better and very

successful ways to stop cancer from progressing.

She was here in the USA teaching our best DR's.

the new breakthroughs in cancer therapy backed with research.

Your mailbox is full so you will have to PM me.

lymeparfait.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JKMMC09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JKMMC09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last month my daughter had a CT scan and they reported 3 pulmonary nodules in her chest-- one 7mm, one 6mm and the third was 3mm. They told us to follow up in a month or so... I don't know what they cold be? I have not scheduled a follow up w/ a pulmonologist, but I will try to do so this week.

My daughter has Lyme and Babesia (proven)...Bartonella is suspected, but not confirmed.

Posts: 371 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy,

There is one pubmed article mentioning pulmonary nodules and bartonella. That's what we think is responsible for hubby's pulmonary nodules.

Lymph drainage massage -- either manual or with something like the lymphstar pro might help reduce the size of the nodules. Or glutathione through a nebulizer. Hubby did both of these things 4 years ago when he first found the nodules -- CT scan did improve during that first 6 months.

As I mentioned in the thread where you were admitted to the hospital the docs need to rule out histoplasmosis and also sarcoidosis as a possible cause of the nodules. Hubby also has had bilater hilar adenopathy which is an inflammation in a certain area of the lungs -- shows up on his CT and SPECT scans as well.

Personally I would not have any surgery even for a biopsy until they do either a PET or SPECT scan which may show more info. And depending on the location of the nodules a bronchoscopy (done on an outpatient basis like an endoscopy) is much less invasive than surgical biopsy.

Hubby has had his nodules followed for about 4 1/2 years now. The size of the various nodules has changed -- some get larger and then shrink between the different scans (either 6 months or a year apart).

Hubby also has one lesion on his liver.

Looking at hubby's CT report from this January it looks like he has 5 or 6 larger nodules in each lung plus several smaller nodules scattered throughout each lung.

In the previous study a year ago the largest nodule was 8mm with the other larger ones in the 4-5 mm range. It looks like in the current study the one that was previously the largest is now 7.4 x 4.5 mm and several of the others are now 6 x 6 or 6 x 7 and the largest one is 8 x 8.

Anyway the conclusion was -- stable multiple bilateral noncalcified pulmonary nodules.

Hubby's pulmonolgost agreed that repeat CT scans every 6 months with no significant change in 2 years would pretty much rule out cancer in his case. He has never smoked and has had little exposure to 2nd hand smoke.

I do know that hubby has had several scans which did not show a known kidney stone so I do think it is possible that the first scan may have just missed the nodules if they were smaller. I would get a copy of your earlier scan and have it reread -- have them compare the 2 scans.

This is not medical advice, just my opinion based on hubby's experience.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the lungs are organs that help detox the body.

A possible connection ?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Thanks so much everyone and Bea. Bea, you said your husbands WERE "ground glass nodules", right? From what I read there is a HUGE difference between regular nodules and "ground glass" nodules, which are far more likely to be malignant.

Thanks again for the feedback...I'll look into it some more.

--------------------

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy -- Sorry if I confused you, but no hubby's nodules are not "ground glass nodules" but just regular nodules I guess.

I still think most of what I have written would apply.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeric
Member # 16465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Food for thought? http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec05/ch055/ch055c.html

[ 03-11-2009, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: lymeric ]

Posts: 76 | From tolland county, ct | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Bea. Have an expert compare previous scans to current.

I think it is *possible* that it is tickborne related, and that going on Rocephin has caused local tissue inflammation/bugs to come out, be killed, whatever, and the body is trying to wall that off.

I also agree with Bea that if biopsy is needed try a less invasive one if possible.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy,

I did a search for "Bacillary angiomatosis ground glass lung pulmonary nodules" and "ground glass pulmonary nodules bartonella" and it seems quite a bit has come up. Some links are to medical journals which require subscription.

But, here is a little of what I was able to find for glass-type nodules as it related to Bartonella anyway. I haven't tried to search yet for Babesia nor for Lyme or other Co's.

While I think it's good for them to rule out possible cancer, I think it's equally important for your pulmonologist to be aware of all that you are currently infected with (Lyme/Babs, etc. etc.) as that could very well be the likely explanation for your lung broken glass nodules, as well as the lesions/cysts on your liver and spleen. I know that Bart can cause these.

Also, for what it's worth, the blogging doctor LymeMD posted a patient case in the past. A woman who was convinced she had lung cancer. Turns out she had lesions/cysts or nodules (can't remember which). They were biopsied and LymedMD had them tested for Lyme/Co's. Turns out Bartonella was causing these. If I can find that entry, I'll post it here in case it might be helpful.

Also, I've come across some language from this search that says that CMV Pneumonia can cause ground glass pulmonary nodules.

Anyway, stay strong, dearheart. You will get through this and we are here to help you get through.

Fuzzy

p.s. Of course lots of what I'm coming across this morning pertains to lung glass-type nodules in AIDS patients. It's frustrating that the medical community seems to put so much emphasis on that group's immunocomprised nature and no one elses. But, thankfully, at least some research has been done. And I believe it the immunocompromised nature can be applied to Lyme patients as well.

http://medgenmed.medscape.com/viewarticle/475231_print
Here they speak about lung infections often seen in AIDS patients -- including Bartonella.

"The most common radiographic pattern in bacterial pneumonia is focal consolidation (Fig. 1), which typically presents in either a segmental or lobar distribution.[1,2,9,13,14*] In contrast, PCP typically presents as a bilateral pattern of pulmonary opacities, which may range from hazy, ground-glass opacities to frank areas of consolidation[1] (Fig. 2). French et al.[14*] recently studied the radiographic appearance of bacteremic pneumococcal pneumonia in 122 hospitalized patients in Nairobi, Kenya. These authors described the typical findings of pneumococcal pneumonia and compared their frequency between HIV-infected and uninfected patients. Notably, there were no significant differences in the chest radiograph appearances by HIV status. The most common radiographic finding in both groups was the presence of consolidation in either a lobar or multilobar distribution."

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot to mention . . .

ALso there is a blood test called the AMAS Cancer Test that alot of doctors don't know exist. It's relatively new and I'm afraid I don't know how good this test is. I don't know about any limitations it might have.

I also don't know whether an antibody-type test for cancer would work in Lyme patients. But, here is some info on it anyway.

http://www.oncolabinc.com/

The AMAS test, a diagnostic test which tests for circulating levels of a specific antibody, provides a unique tool for monitoring cancer patients in remission. The antibodies bind specifically to a 10,000 molecular weight protein found in a wide range of cancers. Because it monitors an aspect of the body's immune response to cancer, rather than cancer antigens or cancer cells in the bloodstream, the AMAS test is especially accurate early in the recurrence or first occurrence of cancer, when clinical signs of the disease may not be evident or may just be emerging. [click on link for more info]

Fuzz

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Thanks so much Fuzz for all the info, and everyone else!

My PCP got the hospital reports and he has booked me on Friday for a CT scan of the chest and abdominal ultrasound, so we will go from there.

--------------------

donaldmn
Member # 16717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for donaldmn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy-My fingers are crossed for you!

The post from FuzzySlippers is really encouraging for you-I had no idea Bart could do so much internal damage! What an eye opener!Hopefully reading her post made you feel a bit better.

Good luck on Friday-hopefully after your scans, they can give you some answers at the hospital before the weekend so you know what's up with those nodules. We will all be waiting to hear from you-

Dawn

Posts: 64 | From rock tavern ,new york | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

I have a follow up appt with PCP next Thursday afternoon. I doubt I will hear anything until them, I'm sure it will take them until Monday to read the scans, then get it to him, then I'll see him on Thursday.

I'm guessing I'll need another test before I get any definitive answers based on my research, anyway; a biopsy or something.

--------------------

tcw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tcw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy, you were on rocephin before all the mess with your PICC, correct? You were not infusing any IV fluids that contained calcium during the time you were on the rocephin - something like Ringers or Hartmanns solution?

IV fluids containing calcuim within 48 of rocephin is a no-no - it may cause the rocephin to precipitate in the kidneys and lungs. http://www.fda.gov/CDER/DRUG/InfoSheets/HCP/ceftriaxone.htm

I have no idea if this would show on the CT, but I thought I would add it here so you could ask your MD.

Posts: 263 | From Capital Region, NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tracy cancer nodules do not show up in 3 weeks.
i would go with the assumption
that the nodules are an acute phase of
sarcoidoisis. i would ask doc to bx a nodule that
is near the surface.
unforunately sarcoidosis is treated with
steroids and contradicts this whole
auto immune thing.
do you have a confirmed dx of lyme???
you may need to have test run for other auto immune diseases.
sorry to hear about your brother in law
hope all is well pm on your site if you need me
dave

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tracy cancer nodules do not show up in 3 weeks.
i would go with the assumption
that the nodules are an acute phase of
sarcoidoisis. i would ask doc to bx a nodule that
is near the surface.
unforunately sarcoidosis is treated with
steroids and contradicts this whole
auto immune thing.
do you have a confirmed dx of lyme???
you may need to have test run for other auto immune diseases.
sorry to hear about your brother in law
hope all is well pm on your site if you need me
docdave

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy - checking in with you. You ok????
hugs,
luvs

Posts: 588 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Thanks, I would prefer sarcoidosis over cancer.

Yes, I am IGENEX positive for Lyme. No I was not on any IV Rocephin before the PICC line.

Yes luvvy, I'm okay. xoxoxo you????

--------------------

luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missing you Tracy. Gotta get me a good update on you soon, k?
Posts: 588 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Munch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Munch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it be sarcoid in the nodules?
Posts: 192 | From Dwight, IL USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

I don't know....but doctor did say today that the spots on my liver and spleen were "not overly concerning" by the brief look he took at the reports.

--------------------

Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Marshall Protocol is based on the treatment of sarcoidosis with low vitamin D and antibiotics. Not sure if I believe in the low vitamin D but for some people it seems to work. Or maybe it's just the antibiotics?

I don't buy the autoimmune theory, just a cop out for doctors who haven't figured out which organism is causing the disease.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement