LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » gabapentin (sp?)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: gabapentin (sp?)
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My primary doc prescribed gabapentin (sp?) in place of lyrica because insurance will provide the one and not the other.

I have been sleeping well since taking it.

But, am wondering if it is helping or not as far as pain.

I am up to 3 pills a day.

But, have been lower functioning than usual.

There are other factors to consider too.

I just know I stopped taking it one day and was in a lot of pain the next.

but, it also could be because I had been on my feet more than usual the day before.

The brain is also not workign well enough to figure things out.

So, just wondering what your experience has been while on it.

I am weak. Sitting upright and standing and being on my feet is very limited with or without the gaba pentin.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugagal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are taking the generic form of a drug called Neurontin. My LLMD prescribed Neurontin for my severe neuropathy pain and it is definitely helping. While it is helping my nerve pain, it does seem to make me a little loopy. I've been told by other Neurontin users that this "loopy" feeling will get better the longer I take it.

--------------------
My comments on this site are not intended to be taken as medical advice as I'm not a physician.

Posts: 206 | From Georgia | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kam,

Gabapentin is one I used pre-Lyme diagnosis.

It seemed somewhat useful for pain, in that it seemed to lessen daily pain levels to a degree.

But it made me loopy, dizzy, and prone to falling.

I took it for almost a year, and this feeling never went away.

After stopping the med, I found that the pain level was not terribly different - but that the absence of the loopiness, dizziness and spacy feeling was quite a relief.

I think it depends on each of us, individually.

Hopefully, it will prove useful for you.

But if you find that you are having more days with the spacey, foggy feelings... please don't just chalk it up to Lyme, and consider that it could be the gabapentin.

Sending you warm, healing thoughts,
cactus

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, neurontin can make you very loopy and possibly less functional. For that reason, I was only able to take it at night.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bwillis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bwillis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a terrible experience pre-lyme dx with neurontin. I made drool, stumble, slur my speech. I couldn't handle it at all. It even made my fingernals and toelnails stop growing, weird huh.

Lyrica is a cleaned up version and works well for sleep and nerve pain but does little for the other things.

I hope you can tolerate neurontin. I hope it works for you.

Posts: 199 | From utah | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that the increased fogginess, off balance, dizziness, etc might be associated with the gaba.

Now, I am wondering what to do.

I think taking a break from it and seeing how things go again.

thanks for the replies.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to: www.askapatient.com There are people who have taken Neurontin (Gabapentin)for years.
I don't think it is as safe as the doctors say it is. I had a terrible time with it. Double vision, lights would flare making driving at night not possible. In fact - I can't honestly understand why people taking this drug are allowed to drive at all!
If you think you need to stay on it - please use only the lowest dose possible - that works. Try to "ramp down" to two and eventually to one. You must ramp down because this drug will wreak havoc with you when you try to stop. Terrible migrain like headaches - etc.
I always worry - when someone says they are taking this for reasons other than what it was designed for - it was designed for people with seizures, like epilepsy.
Please be careful.
-p

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollyM
Member # 15386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollyM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neurontin works well for me, however I have alot of head pain and I am willing to put up with the side effects.

This drug is absorbed directly into your CNS and not through your liver, so it has very little drug interaction.

That's why I take it, it helps the pain and doesn't make me worse like most of the other migraine / neuropathy drugs.

That being said, i will take anything that helps a little but doesn't make me worse. The side effects can be debilitating I know. I was able to build up somewhat of a tolerance to where the side effects aren't to bad, or I know how to deal with them. Maybe dose up slowly?

Posts: 33 | From Chicago | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KAM, were you able to get your Biaxin and Amoxicillin? Please let me know,

[email protected]

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

sending pm tracy
kam
Member # 3410

Took 2 pills last night before bedtime.

Did not take the one in the morning this am.

I am in pain now but not sure if it is due to the 3 days of zithro and then no zithro or the hour and a half to 2 hour outing this am...mostly in the car...or not taking the gaba.

I just know I don't have the off balance and dizziness thing going that stops me from functioning more so than the pain does.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I had the same effects as did cactus: "But it made me loopy, dizzy, and prone to falling."

My muscles turned to jello, too.

Some do fine. Some do not. Whatever, I caution you to either take it or not. This is not a drug that you can decide just not to take one day.

Since it is an anti-seizure drug, it affects the brain. By stopping it one day - or altering dose - your brain functions will be affected.

True, it may take a while to figure out a dosage that works or if you can even really take this at all. But, be very careful of the effects of its absence if the brain gets used to it.

Be especially careful if you are driving until you are on a steady course and it is working for you. At that time, then, is it very important to take the medicine on schedule: same dose, each day at the same time.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

"But it made me loopy, dizzy, and prone to falling

Took it this am..and the above is happening.

Wondering how long it will take for the above to wear off.

In the past, I took it during my down time so I was OK.

But, have company coming during my down time this morning so took it first thing.

On the positive side....I was able to sit in my power chair as the maintenance man cut my hair without a problem yesteray.

The last time he cut my hair I was in a lot of pain and had trouble sitting long enough for him to get the job done...which really doesn't take him long.

I just can't sit long.

But, since taking the gaba I also have been out driving the car for an hour or two. Not straight driving. I am stopping and either walking for a bit or sitting for a bit.

I was just taking two at night before. Then doc suggested two at night and one first thing in the am.

I was taking the one first thing in the am after my morning outing and that was working out OK because I needed to be down anyway.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement