LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » preventing tmj/trigem flare

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: preventing tmj/trigem flare
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i woke this morning painfree after a horribly painful day yesterday

now i undestand thei pain "flares"

has anyone figured out how to get it to NOT flare???

and thank you for all the help yesterday-the doc was no help at all for pain relief

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on page 2; anyone?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lpkayak,

I have trigeminal neuralgia and it always flares if/when I eat chips or something like that. May be stating the obvious!

It also flares with weather stuff, migraine stuff, but it always there. I did lots of acupuncture which helped bring the constant daily pain level to about a level 2-4.

For awhile, when treating with abx, it was like a drill being bored into my jaw, a vice grip, completely unbearable. I think if I were to go back on abx, certainly this symptom would start flaring like crazy again.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" it was like a drill being bored into my jaw, a vice grip, completely unbearable."

yes. skelaxin and vicoden were helping but just had allergic reaction to vicoden so i am in trouble

i'm wondering aobut tetnus thos-cuz i had a puncture wound when it all started and have not had vaccine in awhile

scared to take it-scared not to

i see a doc monday...i've been in er and on many meds so far so have spent an awful lot withut help.

catscan and allergy testing pending.

but LONG wait for neuro whi i guess is only one to give me neurontin or valium that might help. i hate valium and vicoden...but this pain will make you do anything

i have been on abx (first rifampin for bart) and when pain started doc was txing me with 3 other abx for ear infection...so i guess it is ppossible herx too..i haven't been off abx to see...my lyme has been creeping back andihate to stop them if i have them

thanks for your input

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lpkayak,

My trigeminal neuralgia has changed over time. It was excruciating for years. There was a time for a long time, my jaw was constantly clenched all through sleep and I must not have been really sleeping because I was aware of this rigor thing, but I could not do anything about it.

One thing too, that you may want to try since migraines are related to the trigeminal nerve (the research is showing) is Treximet. Treximet may be helpful, I don't remember if I have taken it during a trigeminal flare but the flare does lead to migraine and vice versa and Treximet has been the only thing helpful.

The other thing that was surprisingly helpful was far infrared light on the jaw during acupuncture. However, this was after two years of antibiotic treatment.

Maybe you can call the neuro and request Treximet, if you already have an established relationship, but Treximet is rescue medicine, not preventative.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you on cortef? It may help reduce the inflammation, which can cause it to flare.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one thing that helped me was an NTI dental splint. it's the kind that just goes over the two front teeth and prevents molars from touching.

No cure, and i don't think it helped with migraines, but it is a huge help in preventing TMJ pain caused from or exacerbated by clenching.

(I am not affiliated in any way, directly or indirectly, with NTI or any other dental device or service)

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just saw your other thread about TMJ and remembered this:

when i take Imitrex (sumatriptan) for a migraine it also relieves all my neuropathies, including TMJ. Too bad it's not a drug you can take every day

but it may be worth trying when you get a really bad attack

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

thank you. things have calmed down some and i see doc and dentist tomorrow. i think i'll ask about migrain drugs since i don't have vicoden for emergencies any more. i see llmd this week too-it's all so complicated.

i guess i just have to go day by day...i'm overdue for skelaxin now and still ok-except i stopped my normal ibu so i am getting stiff everywhere i have arthrits...but i'm taking so much new stuff...once i ended up in hosp for a week from prescription meds-hope to avoid that

i'm sleeping wierd and have a fever on and off too...so hope someone gets to the bottom of this

i'm not at all sure its lyme related

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

ps-yes i am on cortef

lymetoo...how can anyone have 38884 posts?!?!

how did you ever do that????

--------------------

lemonhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lpkayak,
I wasnt sure whether you got this on private message cause my brain just isnt working quite right lately.

Hi. I did get some help and am much better. My pain is almost completely gone as long as I am taking the medications. I was diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia and received medications-Tegretol and Baclofen. I ordered a book called Striking Back from the Trigeminal Neuralgia Association and it states in it that 1 out of 4 people with Lyme disease, gets the Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Find a neurologist or ask your primary. The primary was right, it is in the 5th cranial nerve. Call your doc, one doc said Trileptal and Baclofen because you don't have as many side-effects, but the Tegretol and Baclofen are working for me so they ar just keeping me on it. Side effects are some drunk feeling but it takes about 2 weeks to get over it, yes there are some cognitive issues also but you already have Lyme disease, you know how it feels.

Try not to touch your face in any area, eat cold or hot stuff, especially cold, you probably don't talk or smile a lot now but try not to. If you are in a cold climate, don't breathe through your mouth.
I drink warmed up water. If you would like to talk over the phone, email me back with your information.
lemonhead

Posts: 156 | From Corpus Christi, Texas USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement