LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My "weird" reaction to Biaxin - the good, the bad & the ugly

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My "weird" reaction to Biaxin - the good, the bad & the ugly
btmb03
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK so I began 1/2 tab (250 mg) biaxin once every other day and thought.."hey this is not bad".

The Good: I had a few "clearer head" days

The Bad: My doc won't prescribe Singular or anything else, I'm waiting to hear from them, they might stop the biaxin altogether

The Ugly: I take biaxin with b'fast. No probs. Then yesterday around noon start to feel..'flu-like'..it got progressively worse, eyes watering, feverish (no fever), nose/head VERY stuffed up, like hayfever. Scared me, didn't want it to progress to anaphylaxis

OMG I actually *like* this drug except for the above.

What are alternatives to biaxin?

OH and Clint Eastwood still rocks even though he's probably my father's age!! [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silvermoon
Member # 15072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silvermoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I began biaxin 5 days ago. 500 mg 2X a day.
The first day after I took it all my symptoms were worse, the second day was different, I hurt all over. I still am in pain.

I believe I am having a herx, possibly you too.
To me, it means I am getting better. I could feel much worse, I know many herx worse than I.

I would say you should talk to your doctor.

Good luck and hang in there.

Posts: 32 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Hi silvermoon,

I am astounded that everyone (but me) can take biaxin 500 mg bid and be fine except for herxing. My teenie dose gave me such a tremendous reaction...??

sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not do well on Biaxin. It made me feel awful for 3 weeks and my LLMD had me stop taking it.

If it is a herx and last for a few days or a week that would be okay. If it last too long, then best to change to something else.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

The "herx" lasted from 1 p.m. till I went to bed..a bit better today. Sutherngrl, what is an alternative for biaxin? Thx
blaze
Unregistered

My body LOVES biaxin, and I take it twice daily.
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont' know an alternative for Biaxin. I wasn't getting any better, so started treating for Babesia.

Now I am on Minocycline.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

thx for the input - sorry you weren't able to tolerate the biaxin, hope you're doing well on mino.
I had no idea mino was for babs.

Biaze, glad you can tolerate this drug, I think it can be very useful.

Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took biaxin in place of zithromax.

Zith gave me ear ringing.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

thx lymestop, geneal, ...

now that i think about it geneal, you're another member i wanted to say 'thanks' to on my previous post thanking the veterans...look it up, am pooped for the evening!

lymestop, just responded to your new post on biaxin, thx!

nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did great on it the first go round. Then the second time I did terrible. The third time, even worse -- though I was on a pretty heavy combo then, so I can't say it was definitely the biaxin.
Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You Probably have the Flu, btmb. Or a bad cold.
Don't give up on that Biaxin just yet.

You need to get up to 500 mg- twice a Day- for atleast a couple months, if you expect to knock that Lyme way down. Undermedicate & you'll run in circles... not to mention wasting $$.

I know, I know. It's expensive. Welcome to the club. You might consider one of the programs to help you pay for your meds. The maker of Baixin works with those. Check into it. (another thread on here somewhere) There are also some local hospital programs that help cover meds if you are financially strapped.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, lymestop I can see what U mean.

I really only wanted to let btmb know that the symptoms he described at the top ^ should not be Neccessarily taken as a sign that he is reacting badly to the Biaxin, esp. since it sounded like it might very well be a bad cold or flu, which we can all get, no matter where we are in our recovery.

That said, I can understand (& believe in) the need to build up the dosage when it is a new family of medicine that's being taken to fight the Lyme. On the other hand, keeping at a "1/2 dose" (referencing Dr B's Guidelines), for an extended time... say, a month... is what led to my Lyme infection becoming 'accustomed' to the 1st drug. As a result, it became an ineffective protocol.

But, I have to say that dosing w/ a macrolide only once every Other day, at any level, will result in a deep "trough" [in abx blood level], prior to each dose, which is not in the best interest of improvement.

btbw: If you can get to 250mg EACH day, that will be great start. Then you can worry about building up dosage, with your doc's guidance. And mention to him/her about the possibility of adding Plaquenil to "complement" the $$ Biaxin. Good luck!

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your support, greatly appreciated. Paying for the biaxin (actually the generic clarithromycin) has not been the problem, our insurance covers most of it.

Unfortunately I wish it was the cold/flu, it's a classic histamine/leucotriene reaction. For now we've put a stop to biaxin to give my system a rest.

Will post on lymestop's biaxin thread if I re-start, glad it helped some despite dreadful herxes!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement