LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Coreg and Green tea with Ginseng..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coreg and Green tea with Ginseng..
kreynolds
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15117

Icon 5 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To all:

I have been taking Coreg for Tacchardia(fast pulse/heartbeat).

My main beverage of choice is green tea with ginseng.

I have been on Coreg for 3 months now and have been drinking green tea with ginseng for 3 years.

I just now found out from the pharmacy that I must stop drinking it immediatly.

I asked them why, but they did not know. I don't like water and I dont drink soda.

The pharmacy will not tell me why I must stop drinking it.

Any Clue?

Thanks!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one??

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

It's the Ginseng.

It can be very stimulating and increase heart rate and, in some, cause irregular rhythm. Ginseng seems to affect those more who have weakened systems. There are many kinds but the only kind of ginseng that is safe for lyme patients would be Siberian Ginseng (which is not a true ginseng). More later on that.

Sometimes, in a balanced formula other types of ginseng may work for lyme patients but that would be best determined by an expert ND who knows the patient, knows lyme and knows how to balance it all just right.

Green Tea, too, can increase heart rate for some people. It does contain caffeine but, even without that, it is stimulating. I can't get near it for it sends me to the moon.

-------

If you want some gentle adrenal support, SIBERIAN Ginseng is best. It is not a true ginseng and is considered very safe for adrenal support. In normal doses, it is not normally stimulating but it's always best to start very slow and low.

Ashwagandha is a similar herb used for gentle adrenal support.

--

You know, you say: " . . .been drinking green tea with ginseng for 3 years. . . ."

Hmmm. Didn't your doctor quiz you about this? My guess is that going off this will do wonders, alone, for your heart rhythm.

And . . . what is your dose of daily magnesium?

--

There are dozens and hundreds of other teas that you will be able to enjoy.

You might see if you can find Yogi Tea Hibiscus Paradise for starters.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler:

Oh man!!!! I was hoping I would still be able to drink it. I love the stuff...

My Doctor has asked me if I drink caffeinated beverages and I told him green tea with Ginseng!

It's my second love..... Believe me I don't just drink any tea so it will be hard to replace this .

Daily dose of Magnesium??? Am I supposed to be on Magnesium??? Wasn't ever told.

Aren't you supposed to take magnesium if you have Bart and Babs??? Which I do...

Wow... I gotta call the doc...

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone needs to take magnesium but especially

Lyme patients. It does wonders for muscle spasms

and our cells and a million other bodily functions.

Magnesium glycinate is considered to be the most

bio available. Read Dr. B's guidelines. There is a

list of essential nutrients for Lyme patients and

it's not even all encompassing. There are plenty

of other nutrients that can be of help to us.

I would agree with Keebler about the green tea and

ginseng. Siberian ginseng is the way to go.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Where would I get the Magnesium??? Obviously its over the counter, but as far as the dosage goes??

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I'm not sure about this and will check later but I think Carol in PA has said that Source Naturals has a good magnesium blend that you can find at

www.vitacost.com

It has many types of magnesium including glycinate and taurinate . . .

I'll will check on it later when i have more time.

--

you can also read more about magnesium at Pubmed and at

www.vrp.com - pull down from products to articles in their search bar to the upper right of their home page.

---------

for the best guidance for lyme patients and support measures, See this:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

And

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All good info above for you to take in. I take 600mg of mag glycinate daily and 2cc of mag sulfate in my intra muscular shots bi- weekly that also contain B complex and B12.

You could probably start out with 600mg of mag on an empty stomach as you are probably very deficient and work your way up until you get loose stools.

When you do, cut back a bit until you don't and that will generally be what your body requires. Do not use mag oxide, as it will give you diarrhea. According to my doctor, mag glycinate id the best absorbed.

However, supplements are not to be taken in an ad hock fashion.

You should have an ND or a doctor who understands this stuff who can design a protocol that is right for you. Some supplements work synergistically with each other and lyme patients
have special nutritional needs.

You want a good quality brand. Supplements are unregulated and when you buy a cheap brand you have not way of knowing how much of the active ingredient is actually in the product and how much junk and filler are in it. First

tier brands that are sold to alternative doctors, such as Pure Encapsulations, Metagenics, Thorne, Douglas, Allergy research Group, Life Extension, Phyto Pharmica, Standard Process to name a few are

tested to ensure that they meet quality standards by the manufacturer. If they don't they are rejected and sold to lesser quality companies.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

I am going to start taking Magnesium glycinate as I just looked at the script my doc wrote.

Thanks for the links all my vitamins and minerals are from Source Naturals...

Thanks for all the links, I didn't even realize I had the script from yesterday!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone told me that if you dunk the green tea bag into boiling water first for a few minutes, then remove it & use if for your tea - it removes the caffeine.

You can also get decafe green tea.

I think green tea is great... I wouldn't want to have to stop drinking it.

You can probably avoid the ginseng fairly easily.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

That's true about dipping the tea bag in water and throwing the water away and making tea with that tea bag will remove most of the caffeine.
kreynolds
Member # 15117

sparkle7:

Thanks for that info... I will try it out for sure! I wont't stop drinking Green Tea Now!!!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drink decaf green tea; there are lots of brands out there for this and I recommend it. This is really great too!
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Vermont_Lymie:

What brand of Green tea do you drink f you don't mind me asking?

By the way I love Vermont...

Planning on moving there. My grandmother lives in Calais right outside of Montpelier.

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Make sure to get a naturally decaffeinated one. Not one that uses chemicals to remove the caffeine.

Read the box for the method used. You may have better results at a health food store.

lymeric
Member # 16465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ginsengs belong the the alternative medical category called "adaptogens."

In theory, they enter the system and seek out what is wrong and address the problem.

For instance, if blood pressure is high or low, the ginseng will adapt accordingly and balance.

These properties make it difficult to conduct studies on adaptogens.

Just too many variables with compounds and test subjects.

Which makes it hard for me to fully endorse the idea that eleuthero (siberian) is the only ginseng safe for lymies. Some of the studies give cause for concern, however.

Most ginseng drinks have very little ginseng in them. If it's there, it should be quite tastable.

This is true with the better ones, although most of the teas and drinks capsules and supplements use very low quality and non-standardized ginseng to begin with.

Some green teas contain more caffeine than black. Pre-steeping the tea won't remove all the caffeine.

http://www.wisegeek.com/can-i-really-decaffeinate-tea.htm

Posts: 76 | From tolland county, ct | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Thanks for all replies... I think I'll go to my health food store and get the decaffeinated one.

I always thought green tea was excellent for you as an anti-oxidant...

I have been drinking it for so long that if I stop I'll go into shock!! LOL!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Good Earth Organic Jasmine Blossom Green Tea... It really nice with the Jasmine!

There are many good brands... There are also many studies about the benefits of green tea.

We have one from Japan that is all in Japanese characters that's amazing. There's really a difference but I don't know where to get the very fine quality teas here. I think they keep the really good ones in Japan for themselves.

I agree that there's probably very little real ginseng in a tea bag. It's expensive & the good quality ginseng is usually sold by itself.

Best to avoid it if it's potentially problematic.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

sparkle7:

I have tried the Good Earth Jasmine Blossom Green Tea.. It was really good!

Maybe I'll switch to that! Thanks for the reply!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement