LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need Probiotic Recommendation/Feedback

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Probiotic Recommendation/Feedback
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugagal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me a good probiotic to use? I'm currently taking a product called Jarro-Dophilus EPS. Any feedback on this particular probiotic would also be appreciated!

Also, is it possible to experience a herx when starting a probiotic?? I started the probiotic a couple of days ago and I now feel terrible with increased nightsweats, chills, body aches,etc.

I did experience a huge herx when I initially started taking my new supplements a couple of weeks ago. The probiotic was the last supplement to be added to my daily supplement cocktail.

--------------------
My comments on this site are not intended to be taken as medical advice as I'm not a physician.

Posts: 206 | From Georgia | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD recommended Renew Life "Ultimate Flora" 50 Billion cultures from the Vitamin Shoppe....here's the link...

http://tinyurl.com/cngk8r

I did not herx from probiotics so I can't help you there. I take 2 caps twice a day....one dose 2 hrs after my AM antibiotics, and the other dose right before bed.

My LLMD said to take at least one a day, but I could take as many as I want....even 10 a day if needed....except that would be really expensive.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Progurt.com is by far the best I have ever encountered.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bwillis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bwillis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Jarrow products are some of a very few that actually have passed the testing on probiotics and have in them what they say and at the amounts reported. They work very well especially in conjunction with Florastor.

Many probiotics actually have harmful bugs in them that sometimes go unnoticed because of the effects of the abx. Internet claims are not easy to verify. If your LLD says use it, I would try it.

I use both and have no bowel issues. (Am taking 3 abx at high levels and an anitviral)

Posts: 199 | From utah | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.theralac.com

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had tremendously good results using:

1. VSL #3
http://www.vsl3.com/VSL3/default.asp

2. Saccharomyces Boullardii (by Pure Encapsulations). This brand is like Florastor but is Lactose-Free, unlike Florastor.

3. Del-Immune V
http://www.delimmune.com/

I have to take large quantities of the VSL #3 and Saccharomyces B. I've had lots of bowel issues with Lyme/Co's and also have had set backs with C.Diff infection and systemic candida. So, I decided to switch all the old probiotic brands I had been using.

Adding these three probiotics have made a difference for me. My LLMD recommended these to me as a replacement for the old probiotics, which weren't strong enough or doing the job for me.

Fuzz

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugagal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I will research each one thoroughly.

Has anyone ever used the specific one mentioned in my post..Jarro-Dophilus EPS??? It says it has 5 billion organisms per capsule and I take 2 per day. Also, it says it contains 8 different species of probiotic bacteria.

--------------------
My comments on this site are not intended to be taken as medical advice as I'm not a physician.

Posts: 206 | From Georgia | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bwillis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bwillis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Jarrow EPS is specifically the one I use. I'm taking one now. Have had great results.
Posts: 199 | From utah | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Good to know bwillis!! Thanks for the info.
Someone else recommended a product called Progurt...VERY EXPENSIVE. I do not think I could afford to spend that much $$$ on just my probiotic so I'm relieved to hear that the one I'm taking is sufficient.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theralac or Ultimate Flora!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ug,

Your product has 8 strains/5 billion cultures.

There are lots of products but the best ones are high culture / high strain refrigerated kind is the way to go.

Replenish often and take alone, or at bedtime for maximum benefit.

These products seem to work well for me:

Iflora Professional (by Sedona Labs)
14 strains / 20 Billion Cultures

Renew Life "Ultimate Flora"
10 strains / 50 billion cultures

VSL #3 (in Rite Aid Pharmacy Dept.)
225 billion cultures /

Theralac
5 strain / 20 billion cultures

Good luck!

[Smile]

They need refrigeration because the cultures are living.

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the ThreeLac and Shakleys.

They were recommended to me by lifelyme and she is 70 and has been fighting lyme since she was 30. She feels better now.

Not 100% but she is 80%. So, I will follow her guidelines!!

Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fordace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fordace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used ultimate flora for a long time, still have minor problems with constipationn etc...
I truly don't know how well it works, but I pulse the antibiotics, one week on, one week off.

Posts: 208 | From Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried at least 10-15 different brands through the years, and Progurt has so far been the strongest. Dare I say, a probiotic gave me a herx.
Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also I think that the price of Progurt matches the philosophy: instead of merely being a complement to other supplements or a buffer to antibiotics, the high-dose human strain is intended to be a primary treatment in and of itself. Also, 1 trillion CFU for 20 bucks comes out to $0.02 per 1 billion CFU. That comes out to $1/50 billion CFU, which is slightly more than the cost of other probiotics.. except it is the only human-strain probiotic I am aware. The cost makes sense to me.

[ 03-17-2009, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: m0joey ]

Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sugarfreak
Member # 19376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sugarfreak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you tried the Probioplus DDS by UAS Laboratories? That's what I use as recommended by the Whole Approach.

Just wondered if anyone has had success with it or tried it and didn't like it. I think it's the one my LLMD recommended as well (Dr.C in MO)

Posts: 18 | From United States | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ovmck
Member # 19457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ovmck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used Jarro-Dophilus EPS for awhile. It is a great product, I like it.

But when I changed my abx protocol to a very strong combo of 3 oral abx and Flagyl pulse, I had to move to a more potent probiotic.

I've been taking now Primadophilus Optima which has 35 bln in 1 capsule and 14 strains.

--------------------
Bb Western Blot IgG+, suspected BLO & Babesia. Oral combination of abx tx since Jan'07.

Posts: 3 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know if any of the above or another good probiotic is a very small capsule? Like round or oval and as small as can be? I can't find pictures on line.

My youngest son can't swallow pills bigger then a round motrin. I need to order something right away because he is starting his treatment on Monday.

Thanks!

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sugarfreak:
[QB] Have any of you tried the Probioplus DDS by UAS Laboratories?

It's only 10 billion.

You might be interested in this price!!!

http://www.herbspro.com/shop/productdetail.asp?ptid=44309&utm_source=shopping_com&utm_medium=Feed

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Amy C:
[QB] Anyone know if any of the above or another good probiotic is a very small capsule? Like round or oval and as small as can be? I can't find pictures on line.

I've never seen one like that. Always in capsule form.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

tainabell
Member # 18270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tainabell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw a doc who told me that probiotics have to be the refrigerated kind to be effective. My brand (Orthobiotics, recommended to me by a different doc) are dessicated.

Are the probiotics recommended above all the refrigerated kidn?

Posts: 55 | From New York | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy C a good health food store will have liquid probiotics in the refrigerator section. Check there for your son, but make sure to read the labels as many will add flavorings and sugary type substances if it's not a quality brand.

The best ones are the kind that require refrigeration.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by tainabell:

Are the probiotics recommended above all the refrigerated kidn? [/QB]

Theralac and Ultimate Flora are. Theralac can go the few days in shipment without refrigeration.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absnomore,

Thank you! I think I will check out the vitamin store. Because I can't find pictures of the pills on line to see if they are small or not. Liquid would work too.

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm using ultimate flora now but when i run out, i'm starting theralac.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLD insists I take Ultra Flora DF and Theralac. She will not treat patients who do not take Theralac.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not going to take anything refridgerated. I don't know who and how they will get it to me and if they care as much as I do about my health. They may ruin it before it gets to me.

The ThreeLac I use can be put on your tongue and dissolve. The taste is not bad. Light Lemon.

My daughter has lyme and my llmd recommended Primal Defense Kids. It is a powder and you mix it in a liquid. That is what I do. She said it doesn't taste bad.

Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Shalome,

Thank you for the powder idea. Looks like I can get it at my vitamin store. I need it right away so that is helpful [Smile]

Now I just wish his abx was smaller! I know this is for another thread but does anyone cut their abx pills? The pharmacist said not to but they are too big for him to swallow. Ugh!

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08

jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Body Biotics SBO's and haven't had a cold in roughly 10 years and I use to catch several colds a year prior to that and they would last several weeks leaving me worn out.

Not to mention tested candida/yeast free by great smokies labs.

Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many brands of probiotics come in loose powder form. It is usually cheaper to buy it that way and you mix it with water. It does not taste bad, doesn't have much taste at all. That is another good option for children.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wimenin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wimenin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive been using Floragen3, and also making my own yogurt mix of plain yogurt with fruit (strawberry or pineapple). No sugars, no additives..
Posts: 514 | From . | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Thanks to everyone that responded! I never knew there were so many probiotic choices and that the refrigeration type was more effective. Also, I especially liked the info about being able to find liquid probiotics as I have difficulty swallowing pills.

--------------------

Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the herx question, I don't know for sure. I was told by someone at my LLMD's office (I can't remember which of the helpful people, there, though)that is possible, so I am watching out for that.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Yes Leelee, I think I read somewhere that a herx could happen while on supplements. I guess it depends on which supplements you are taking and in what doses.

--------------------

'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: experiencing a herx when starting a probiotic.
A herx-type reaction... quite possible. Depends on what you experienced.

An Actual herx, as in a Jarsch-Herxheimer reaction?
NO.

"Herxing" is a result of die-off of any of the spirochetes... Lyme, syphillis, relapsing fever, etc.
It occurs hours to days after starting the antibiotic(s). the length of delay depends on variables like how genetically complex the 'ketes are, where they're hanging out & how potent the antibiotic.
Just WHY this delayed reaction happens has never been fully understood. (Research continues on this very question.)

Consuming probiotics does just that... It "promotes" biotics/ bacterial "life".
Antibiotics Kill bacterial life. Not quite indiscriminately, though, & some abx are more "wide-band" in their killing than others, but this is why U need to take the probiotics daily.

You replenish what "good" bacteria were knocked out by the abx hours earlier. Wait atleast 1.5 hrs, pref 2, between the abx & pbx.

P.S: SOME herbs seem to indeed cause herxing. A good example is many Wiconson Lyme victims who take doses of Cat's Claw report herxing.

It's believed that certain compounds in the herb are bacteriocidal & may even promote the 'killing kinetics' of abx being taken along side them.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VSL #3 for serious cases. Theralac is a strong choice. FloraSource (Or Ultra Flora Source), The Jarrow brand has received a lot of attention.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement