LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question About Lyme and Heart Failure???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question About Lyme and Heart Failure???
MariaP
Member # 18692

Icon 5 posted      Profile for MariaP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone seem to know the answer to this question:

Out of all the people who have died from lyme disease, what percentage of them have died in their sleep from heart failure?

Or does anyone know the percentage of people who have died from heart failure that had Lyme Disease?

I am asking for personal reasons. If anyone has any information on this I would really be interested and greatly appreciative.

--------------------
Maria

Posts: 23 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maria, i'm unaware of this info is available.

if you go to melanie reber's site, www.lymememorial.org you might be able to find things there on statistics.

otherwise, i'd contact the ILADS.org site and ask them; our lyme literate drs. org.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaP
Member # 18692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Betty I didn't even think to look at Mel's wedsite.

--------------------
Maria

Posts: 23 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astriapage
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astriapage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there-

If it helps any, I about died of conjestive heart failure-they caught it in time and did open heart surgery the next day!

This was because my mitral valve was completely shot-they replaced it.

Hope this helps-if you are concerned for yourself or someone else get a good cadiologist and ask for an echo-that is what saved me.

I was very persistent and told them that I knew something was very wrong-he obliged and I was right!

Good Luck!

Posts: 303 | From Jekyll Island, GA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fordace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fordace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by astriapage:
Hi there-

If it helps any, I about died of conjestive heart failure-they caught it in time and did open heart surgery the next day!

This was because my mitral valve was completely shot-they replaced it.

Hope this helps-if you are concerned for yourself or someone else get a good cadiologist and ask for an echo-that is what saved me.

I was very persistent and told them that I knew something was very wrong-he obliged and I was right!

Good Luck!

did you have any dull chest pain all the time?
Were you short of breath always?

Posts: 208 | From Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have dull chest pain and am short of breath right now. If you have those symptoms and can get to a hospital (which I can't) they are definitely serious symptoms.

It's not something to put off -- they are also heart attack symptoms.

There is another thread now about the CFIDS doctor, Dr. C., and his DVD on cardiac issues. I don't think anyone posted a summary and the DVD set is long but well worth watching.

One thing Dr. C. (not sure if I can say his name since he's not a Lyme doc?) found is that CFIDS patients have diastolic heart failure, rather than systolic.

CFIDS patients with heart failure also don't tend to have edema, and with diastolic heart failure the ejection fraction is often normal ("preserved") so it's much harder to diagnose.

Other heart problems can cause shortness of breath and dull chest pain, like pericarditis I believe.

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have chest pain/tightness, dilating veins, and bradycardia. They sent me to the ER for it who in turn sent me home stating I need a full cardiac workup.

The soonest I can get in is in 6 weeks from now! The health care system is crazy.

--------------------
Lisa D

Posts: 103 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have shortness of breath, intermittent chest pain, intermittent jaw pain, left arm pain, bradycardia upon laying down, tachycardia upon standing, and heart palpitations.

I've had a normal EKG, echocardiogram and holter monitor test. Do these heart problems show up on these tests? What does Dr. C have to say about this?

Could someone please paraphrase the information that Dr. C shares for patients who can't follow his video due to neuro or cognitive symptoms? Thank you!

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At some point I saw a great summary of Dr. C's video on the web somewhere, but I have no idea if it's still posted -- you could try finding it by Google maybe.

Dr. C. does novel forms of testing -- like he'll do an echocardiogram where the patient is upright for a period of time and then it does show abnormalities.

He also relies on research by Arnold Peckerman that used a machine called the Impedance Cardiograph. I had the test and mine was grossly abnormal upon standing, which is what Peckerman found for CFIDS patients.

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cms, as long as they are NOT a treating llmd dr. or are NOT ALTERNATIVES DRS. ... complete name can be given.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astriapage
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astriapage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that I had alot of people listen to my heart because of my tachcardia-and it was never caught. I had alot of symptoms, dizziness, breathlessness, chest pain, but I also had alot of other symptoms elsewhere in my body too, which I guess threw them off.

I got very sick last year, had a fever of 105, vomitting for days, and my mom took me to my old peditrician, she was desperate, he listed to my heart and knew something was really wrong!

He rushed me to the hospital and a cardiologist stepped in and did an echo, and he knew what was wrong-there was something that had damaged my mitral valve. They put me on 6 weeks of IV abx, which did not work.

I had to have heart surgery-The infection was tested when they did my open heart surgery, and they never could identify it.

After the surgery, I started piecing this puzzle together, and pushed my cardio to do a Lyme test, and it showed that I do have Lyme.

I believe the Lyme damaged my heart, and from what I hear, like in this post, it is very common.

I feel for you guys out there who know something is wrong, but nothing show up. I have been there! Just pray that a doctor shows up in your life who will REALLY listen to your heart through a stethescope.

This is all it took with me! He listened and I was rushed to the hospital!

I am still very sick though-it never seems to end, and alot of days it feels like my heart is still the same, and I am petrified of what could happen.

If if happened in the past, I am fully aware it could happen again.

Posts: 303 | From Jekyll Island, GA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My MVP has gotten worse. I had it before I became ill with LD, but after getting LD I started having heart issues and had an echo done and it had gotten somewhat worse, but not bad enough to consider surgery.

The other day my regular doctor put his stethescope on my heart and heard it immediately, which worries me bacause sometimes they have to listen for a while to catch it.

What are we suppose to do? We can't just run to the ER every single time our heart aches or palpitates. I would be there every day. All we can do is just get an echo every year or two and hope nothing happens in between.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sutherngrl, I feel your pain, almost literally [Frown]

So if nothing shows up on the echo, it still doesn't mean that nothing is there? I always thought that since they didn't find anything in the echo, then I was safe and whatever it was wasn't going to kill me. Perhaps I should try to get through Dr. C's long video so I can understand what kind of tests I should push for...

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The echo is probably the best way to see it and not be invasive.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LittleLymie... You could have MVP that shows up on the echo, but it may be within "normal" limits.

So nothing would be done and not much said. Get a copy of your echo report if you can.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Dr. Cheney (I guess I can use his name now) does not say an echo is worthless in general -- he's talking particularly about what happens in CFS/CFIDS patients, so it may or may not apply to Lyme.

What Cheney did find was that CFIDS patients had normal echos until they were done in an upright position, and then they were grossly abnormal (i.e. I think a part of the heart collapsed).

He also did tests for PFOs and found that most CFIDS patients have them.

Dr. Lerner did 24-hour Holter testing on CFIDS patients and found evidence of cardiomyopathy in most, which he later proved with heart biopsies.

He now sees two subgroups with these abnormal Holters: those with herpesviruses in their hearts, and those with herpesviruses plus a coinfection including Lyme or babesia.

But most cardiologists would interpret those tests as normal.

Another issue is that more than 50 percent of heart failure (I just read this last night) is now diastolic, which means the ejection fraction on an echo will be normal.

Dr. Cheney found that in CFIDS patients there was not typically edema and the more common symptoms of heart failure, but that they do have diastolic heart failure, many of them.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Maria,

With apologies for not having a simple answer for you, some of this below may help shed some light.

================

As LymeCFIDSMCS outlined above -

Here are 3-hour free on-line video and text links to the work of Cheney, Lerner and Peckerman. This is not about lyme, per se, but I can see how it relates and there is much helpful information:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77325

Topic: To everyone with cardiac symptoms please read!

==============

Chronic Chlamydia Pneumonia (Cpn) has also been linked to heart disease. Cpn is also an infection that many lyme patients seem to carry.

And, of course, testing is best at a specialty lab and many doctors do not recognize the chronic state. The treatment protocol is similar to that of lyme but with some important differences.

More information on that at this fabulous site:

www.cpnhelp.org

====================

www.chlamydieos.cz/studie01en.html

LATENT CHLAMYDIAL INFECTIONS: THE PROBABLE CAUSE OF A WIDE SPECTRUM OF HUMAN DISEASES

Authors: Bazala, Renda from the Czech Republic - Oct. 2007

=====================

This details struggles from Cpn infection that went untreated. It is a very helpful book in terms of what can help:

http://tinyurl.com/57pjzp

Death by Deception: Unmasking Heart Failure - by Dick Quinn, Shannon Quinn, Colin Quinn, Al Watson

-

[ 03-18-2009, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

This book focuses on lyme patients and also those with Cpn (Chlamydia Pneumonia) - and the effects of high cortisol from the stress of infection can cause severe heart damage.

Suggestions included in the book are very helpful:

http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, And Heart Disease (Paperback) - 2005

by Russell Farris and Per Marin, MD, PhD

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

LymeCFIDSMCS, thank you. That was the best summary of his talk that I've come across. I think I have an idea of what he is talking about now. Does he suggest any doctors or medical facilities that would perform the testing that he does?
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

LittleLymie, I think the best way to get the testing he suggests is to bring in some of the research he cites, i.e. by Peckerman and Lerner. Most of it is available here:

http://www.cfids-cab.org/MESA/Lerner.html

If you can find a place that has the impedance cardiograph test, it might show abnormalities if you test both lying down and after standing up for ten minutes.

Unfortunately, in my experience, most cardiologists are not all that interested in this stuff!

I am curious what the adrenal/heart book recommends for treatments.
That link I just posted also has the streaming video of Dr. Cheney talking about diastolic heart failure. It's dense but worth it even if you can only watch a few minutes.

Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning Miss Maria,

Unfortunately, there is not a clear answer to your question...because the stats are just not available. Too many pass away without autopsies, so we may never know the complete picture.

What we DO know is that there are many TBDs that can cause heart issues. So, when anyone complains of chest pain, it should be taken very seriously, and NOT automatically assumed that it is only a temp symptom that will resolve on its own.

If I can provide more specific info for you, please ask. M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement