LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I WAS BIT BY A TICK TODAY!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I WAS BIT BY A TICK TODAY!
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeafFromLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT THE HELL! Its still winter how is it possible that I had a tick stuck in me?????

I was literally outside for 5 minutes in my back yard, 3 hours later I thought I was itching a scab.... NOPE How about a mother (queen) tick!!!!!

Can they REALLY be out already????????

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

www.24weekperfectbaby.blogspot.com

Son's blog born at 24 weeks.

Posts: 356 | From massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paula 007
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paula 007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of us have forgotten how overwhelming this was at first.

Just keep trying to learn all you can and take things slow.

Check drug interactions and supplement interactions if you can find a website for that. drugstore.com will let you check interactions even of supplements if they can find them on their list.

I wish I had magic words of wisdom, but I don't. Just take in what you are able to.

Posts: 108 | From Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For SURE!!!

I'm so sorry that happened. What meds are you on right now?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonee123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonee123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omg i am so sorry!!! You didnt need another bite. Tell everyone in your family to be careful!!

--------------------
May God Bless you, answer your prayers, relieve you of your pain and make you stronger than what you are today. Ameen.

Posts: 341 | From Columbia, MD | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ticks have been found active when there is an 80 percent snow cover on the ground.

Sorry that little sucker liked you today. How awful!

Suggestions.. for after you beat his little brains out...

You need to treat your yard or this will continue.. and get worse.

Liquid Sevin concentrate mixed in a gallon sprayer. Cheapest, least smelly, is used on veggies just before harvest and in dog beds... and in MY opinion... it is the best stuff.

Follow all precautions on the label.

And yes, you might not kill them all.

BUT..

I'd rather go in my yard where there may be 2-3 ticks.. rather than hundreds or thousands.

One mommy tick can produce 2,000 or more babies.

All of them need a blood meal to survive... so since you are not putting cows out there in the yard or T-bone steaks....

You've got to KILL 'EM!!!

Kill or be killed.

When you check tick populations on a "drag"... using the white cloth of a certain size in a specific square foot area...

One tick caught represents 100 there but not picked up.

Treat yard now, in 2 months from now... and then in mid-to late-summer.

Once more time in the late fall.

Then 3 times next year...

And three times the next year...

Then two times each year thereafter. More if needed.

Good luck!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi DeafFromLyme

I saw a bee the other day and I'm from Boston, Ma so I'm sure they are out there; I hate the little buggers...

Be more careful!!! And stay off the grass!!!

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DeafFromLyme:

Remember the real estate idea of me moving to MA??? Well you just confirmed it's a no go!

LOL.. Yes they are out...I have seen them on my dogs, before they BITE!

Good luck to you and make sure you kill that sucker for me!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeric
Member # 16465

Icon 13 posted      Profile for lymeric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, we would never use Sevin or any other similar chemical appplication on our farm.

It is counter to everything we believe in. Business wise this would be impossible as we are an organic farm.

PLEASE, before you do this educate yourself as to the possible problems with Sevin. Here's a couple of links.

Notice how close in tone the second one is to IDSA speak. You could almost substitute chronic lyme for Sevin.

I'm amazed how anybody could hammer the IDSA, and in the next breath think Sevin and its attendant business interests and associated supporting studies are OK.

http://www.healthyworld.org/sevin.html

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/facts-slides-self/facts/gen-pubre-sevin.html

All this being said, I do believe such yard treatments with really strong, toxic chemicals like Sevin are the most efficacious way of getting rid of ticks.

According to some, the standard treatment for tick/lyme control requires a little more effort than Tincup mentioned. (Though following label instructions is always a good idea. But, hey, that's not what's going on with long-term abx use for chronic lyme, so...)

You must apply every month or two during the good weather.

It is recommended to cover your whole yard and at least 6 feet up any bushes, shrubs, trees, etc. You must re-apply after every rain.

My advice, get guinea fowl! Although they miss some ticks, they eat tons of them and are better mousers than cats. They eat snakes, too.

Good luck.

[ 03-18-2009, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: lymeric ]

Posts: 76 | From tolland county, ct | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who can't get guinea fowl... or can't stand there noise and mess....

And keep in mind...

I don't like chemicals spread all over the environment. I am a naturalist for goodness sake.

BUT.. I also don't want thousands upon thousands of ticks in my yard, my home, my car, etc.. which can happen and has happened in some areas.

I also don't want to introduce a bunch of chemicals into my own body to kill a ton of organisms that are in the process of destroying me. Double whammy!

Soooo..

All things in moderation. Until there is a safe and non-toxic way to kill ticks.. and keep them from killing me and my family, my neighbors and pets....

Something has to be done.

As the article posted by Lymeric stated...

"But, with proper use and handling, carbaryl [Sevin] is rarely a problem to the applicator, the general public, and to the environment."

It is the least offensive to the environment in my opinion... and most effective... and I've studied this to find the answers myself over the years.

This pesticide "war" reminds me of the coffee wars, the sugar wars, the wine wars, etc.

One day it is good for you.. the next day it is not good for you.

Depending on who funds the studies.. the results will be different.

The one study they referenced stated the dogs were purposely fed hefty amounts of Sevin... and had some problems from it.

I can see how that could happen.

So PLEASE, don't EAT the insecticide or feed it to your pets or kids!

Just follow precautions on the label and use only as often as needed...

IF that suits you own personal preferences. It is just one option for reducing the tick populations until something safer comes along.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey DEAF! I have a flamethrower you can borrow. [Wink] No pesticides!
Just wait 'til the snow's all gone, gas it up, & whhhhhOOOmmmm!! c-r-is-k-sk-sk-k.
As I understand it, ticks can't survive the... "acute dehydration".

The grass will come back in a few weeks. Honest!
Just make sure ya do all your truckin' before the blades get too tall... then "repeat application as directed."

& guinea fowl ain't a bad idea nie-tha. You'll save on gas!
(GOSH, I wish I had their eyesight. [Cool] )

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeric
Member # 16465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the only way for you, kids and pets not to eat the insecticide is to not put it into the environment.

Haven't met a dog yet who doesn't eat grass if accessible...

Happy guineas don't make much noise and hardly any mess. Many families here in CT keep 2-5 guineas, no noise or mess to speak of.

Plus they make you laugh. All the time. I'll never know how much this contributed to my "cure."

Guineas can be very noisy, however. They are a high-strung animal and thus require a little more training than say, chickens.

Which also eat tons o'ticks. And may be a better option for many, especially some energy-challenged or sound-sensitive lymies.

But they don't eat the all-important mice. The fact that guineas wipe out the resident mouse population is huge.

Our farm was one of those areas you speak of. We had thousands, in and outside the house.

Two feet out our door and you would pick up several in a few seconds. Walk to the barn (20 feet) and you had 10-20.

Guineas are a death magnet for ticks. Introducing them in your environment shifts that magnetism away from you and co. considerably.

The difference is that when the tick finds the guinea, something's waiting to eat it.

Of course guineas are not for every situation. But, although I have no proof, I'm sure they do a better job than Sevin as normally applied.

Just seems logical. Kinda like being able to spray Sevin every day of the year when you let them out to do their thing.

The application protocols for spraying chemicals are not really meant for insects that hitch a ride on animals to arrive in your vicinity to drink blood. (An ongoing process.)

Personally, I don't worry about the environmental hazards as much as I used to.

That's one reason I believe chemicals - used in a way other than the described label instructions - may be the most efficient way to get rid of ticks.

Posts: 76 | From tolland county, ct | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year for the first time we sprayed Sevin all over our yard, several applications through the spring and summer.

We never saw one tick on our animals or on ourselves. It was a dramatic improvment over years past.

Additionally I treat the animals every month with Frontline or K9 Advantix.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guinea hens - my veterinarian brother keeps these on his lawn.

I live in a neighborhood that would never, ever tolerate guinea hens. My son left a tire mark with his kid car on my neighbor's lawn this week and sure enough, he came over to complain.

I've got mean, stuck-up neighbors. They won't speak to me because I had the nerve to call the ambulance and disturb their peace.

One guy scowled at my son with Down syndrome when he was screaming with happiness. Grrrr.

My husband applies tick killer on our lawn and I wouldn't have it any other way. But, I WISH I could have guinea hens!! (And move away from this neighborhood!) [Smile]

- Lymelady

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jtavares76
Member # 19216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jtavares76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ticks are definitely out in Southeastern Mass. My cousin removed a few from her dogs the other day. Another friend said she saw one crawling across her bed next to the dogs.

I heard they come out as soon as the temp gets about 30 degrees. I don't know if this is true or not but I haven't been taking any chances.

I have been spraying the family with DEET whenever they venture out for a bike ride or walk. Tick checks as soon as they return.

My husband tells me I am paraniod but I don't want anyone else in the family to have to endure the hell that I have been enduring. You can never be too careful.

JT

Posts: 72 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just posted over at lyme friends for this very topic.

I think the product Tempo is the cats meow for ticks and the very safest product around. It is made from geranium flowers.

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/tempotub.htm

It is labeled for INDOOR use and also inside restaurants and food processing plants. THAT is safe folks.

It has NO odor at all,,,in fact you will think you forgot to put it in the water to spray cause it smells like JUST water!!!

Spraying around your foundation will keep other creepy crawlers from your house!! Its a great spider spray and spiders are real hard to kill .

There is another product, mosquito barrier, that is supposedly good too. (I never tried this one) It is derived from garlic and is death on ticks and skeeters.

Tempo doesnt help skeeters.

My question for flower and veggie gardeners is IF you plant garlic around,,,does it smell in plant form??

Can anyone here who is a planting expert try planting garlic and see if that helps?? cant hurt,,,and you dont have to eat it!!

Anyway I guess garlic causes skeeters and ticks to dehydrate. I would THINK that this product would be okay in a organic garden/farm,,,but check to be sure.

http://www.mosquitobarrier.com/

Dimacius earth is another NATURAL form of bug control. It also dehydrates the bugs. BUT I am sure rain and sprinklers dont help it work.

I would think you could use dimacious earth in pet boxes,bedding,litter boxes and not harm a hair on their head.

There are always alternatives,,,living with those creepy crawling bugs just isnt right OR healthy.

and yes I hear day after day people being bit in winter time and people finding ticks on top of snow banks!!!

I really THINK you could spray a pet,dog or cat, down with Tempo when they enter the house and kill the ticks and not harm them.

I for SURE wouldnt let a dog crawl into bed with me,,, for ticks sake,,but maybe thats just ME!!!

Okay i am off to take names and collect links since I remain--just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if someone can test that tick to see if it is infected with Lyme? It would be interesting to know that.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tick testing is no more reliable than human testing. I found out the hard way.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, those little buggers are out already.

Hubby was out in the backlot a couple weeks ago and came in with a tick on his pants.

Damn evil beasts. [Mad]

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Just Don...

Garlic and candy?

Or garlic and ice cream?

[lol]

BUT.. I do garlic in between the other two evils. Garlic is good.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeafFromLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for your ideas, support and help!

I freaked out so bad over it that for two days I was panicing! Stupid I know, but with all I am going through right now, I just got scared! I know my meds will cover it (I think) I'm on 1000 mg Biaxin and 400 plaquenil...

Fingers crossed!

Kete I think I like your idea!!! Blast the little suckers! (no pun intended) I will have to look into yard treatments and things because my yard is full of tall grasses (weeds really) and my kids like to be outside!

SO DO I! But now I am totally freaked out and don;t want to go anywhere near my yard!

Thanks to all of you for the advice!

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

Posts: 356 | From massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

If the tick had ehrlichiosis, the biaxin would not cover it. Doxy is needed.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Thanks Lymetoo, do you think I should let LLMD know? He doesn't treat co's though....

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakes592     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
So sorry that happened. Like you don't have enough going on already. I always worry about that! Damn ticks! Lymetoo can Doxy be added to what Erika is already taking just in case?

Take Care,
Ann

--------------------
If you keep doing nothing...nothing changes!

www.underourskin.com

Posts: 579 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sutherngrl,
Some states (though I doubt MS) have tick-testing labs available to the public. Most are in the NorthEast & West coast. (There are a FEW down that-a way. GA, i think.)

If they can test the tick by the 'PCR' method, it's a fairly reliable (but not absolute) indicator of presence of the Lyme borrelia.

It checks for the actual DNA of B.B.
They basically grind the tick up [Big Grin] & put it thru the machine that makes smears of the stuff, dyes it with bio markers & looks for a flourescent reaction [Cool] , indicating Lyme DNA.
I think it's about $50/ tick around here last I checked.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement