LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IM Rocephin instead of IV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IM Rocephin instead of IV
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm too sick to get a PICC line put in, so my doc is starting me on IM Rocephin shots.

Can anyone share experiences/instructions/etc. on the shots, especially if you have done shots and also IVs at a different time.

Would also like to know what dose people were using, and what other meds you were on?

Thank you!!

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you considered getting IV Rocephin via a peripheral line, or heplock? That is how I get it, and I just have to go to the hospital and get the line changed once a week. It is in my hand or arm, and the tiny plastic piece only goes about one inch into the vein.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is that I can't go to the hospital due to how ill I am and severe MCS. My LLMD tried to get a home infusion company to do it via a peripheral line but they won't do that unless it is started in a hospital.

It's good to know some people are doing peripheral lines though. Can you just go week to week indefinitely like that?

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you can....I'm only doing it because I got a PICC and within 24 hours developed a blood clot. So I'm working with a hematologist to work up my clotting issues, and then figure out if I can get a more permanent line.

But for now, this works fine. It's hard for me too, I'm pretty much bedridden, but can manage to get out once a week for the heplock change. I find as hard as it is, it does me good to get the fresh air!!!

I've needed so many tests I've had to go anyway, ultrasounds, CT scans, stress tests.....no choice but to go out for those, so I try and scheduled them on the same day.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swachsler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swachsler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What IS a peripheral line? Does this mean you're only getting the Rocephin once a week, or just that the tubing, etc., gets changed once a week?

What makes it different than a PICC? Could a visiting nurse change a peripheral line, or does it have to be done a hospital?

Like the poster (who's a friend -- we've been discussing this because we're in similar boats), I have severe MCS.

I can risk going to the hospital once to get it put in -- it will make me sicker for a few months, but I'm hoping will be worth it long term -- but going out anywhere once a week would do me in.

There have to be other solutions, yes?

-Sharon

Posts: 223 | From Western Mass. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Sharon,
An infusion company can come and change the peripheral line at your house once a week. That's what I was doing with saline IVs.

The infusion company requires that you start the line in a hospital or medical facility, but after that they can come to your house to change the peripheral line.

I was going to go that route but can't get to a medical facility to start the line at all, so that's why I went with the injections for now.

TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeCFID-
I did the shots for about 4 months. I kept developing hard, painful lumps at the injection site. They became so painful that I had to stop because there was no place to give myself a shot that wasn't terribly painful. I didn't know shots could hurt that bad.

I did have a good response to the shots other than the local reaction.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never even knew about a short [periphrial] line like that.
Do you know the approximate cost, off hand? (Unlees your insurance covered it)

I now have 100% coverage at the local hospital, for the next 6 mo.s, thanx to a "P100" approval.

With unmixed, generic Rocephin & that, I just might be able to swing a month's worth (or 2, or...) Will talk w/ my LLND. Thnx!

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the dosage of Rocephin for IM shots? Is it less?

How effective is it--- is it just as effective as IV, or less?

My LLMD told me that if i had to do IV, it would have to be a peripheral line changed every week, because of the same blood clotting problems as Tracy9.

I'd really like to know; this could be coming up next for me.

Thanks.

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

I honestly don't know about efficacy vs. IVs. I'm assuming the shots are slightly less potent since they're not going directly into a vein but into a muscle, but that they're more potent than oral antibiotics.

I don't really know cost either since my insurance is covering it. I can definitely confirm that the shots hurt though!! I don't know how long I will last.

I think the dosage is the same. The shots I'm doing can also be reconstituted into IVs so it's just another method of delivery. I think standard dosing is 1-2 grams 2 x daily.

Munch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Munch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing IM shots of Claforan (cefotaxime) since October 08 and IM shots of methylcobalamin since Dec 07. Plus I do sub-Q shots of HGH and Forteo (osteoporosis). I did heparin for 10.5 months too. At times, it's hard not to feel like one big giant pincushion.

To get how to info -- I would recommend using Google University as there are many excellent websites showing what sites to use, how to rotate places and how to do an IM shot in general. There are also some Youtube videos on giving yourself shots too.

It was nerve wracking at first but now it's no big deal. I mainly use my thighs (lower for B12 and upper for Abx) and if they get too sore then my DH does them in the tush for me. It's too hard to twist around to do it myself.

My doc has me mix the Claforan powder with 3 ml of 2% Lidocaine. After it's all mixed, I load it into a 5 ml syringe. Without the anesthetic, it would be too painful because it's a HUGE amount to inject especially 2X a day. I understand that IV Claforan is 3X compared to IM.

I'd also be sure to take lots of probiotics, Diflucan and Nystatin to prevent yeast problems. Those were not so bad for me with orals but I could tell the yeast came back quickly when I changed from oral to shots. It sounds crazy but I could smell it.

It would be too hard for me to keep a PICC line dry. I do pool aerobics and have a hot tub. Plus the idea of plastic tubing creeps me out.

One of my biggest concerns about a PICC line was how I'd cope with the smell of plastic tubing. Generally, I can't stand plastic oxygen tubing during the times I've had surgery. The first thing I do is yank it out of my nose because I detest the smell.

I used to have terrible MCS but have been nebulzing glutathione for over 2 years. The MCS is now 100% GONE!!! This is wonderful after having to deal with it since 1981.

I'm also on 2 kinds of thyroid meds, hydrocortisone, growth hormone, DHEA, and progesterone. I can't say if it's all entirely due to glutathione but I'd done hormonal support of the adrenals before and still had MCS issues. This is the first time ALL of my hormones are in the upper part of normal range so maybe that's made a difference.

Look into info by Dr Grace Zeim especially the glutathione protocol. Weekly, I started out with 100 mg/ml of glut from a compounding pharmacy. I used 3 mls 1X. Then 4 mls 1X. Then 5 mls 1X. Then 5 ml + 3 mls 4 days later. Then 5 mls + 4 ml 4 days later. Then 5 ml + 5ml every 4 days.

Now my dose is 250 mg/ml 3X per week. When I was doing the lower dose my MCS would come back 2 days before I was to nebulize. Now I don't have any MCS issues at all. I sleep like a rock on the days I nebulize too.

My LLMD thinks the efficacy of IM vs IV is about 2% less. To me, it's not worth the hassle of having a port or a PICC line.

Posts: 192 | From Dwight, IL USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement