LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » burning sensation in right buttock

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: burning sensation in right buttock
electrolite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for electrolite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a little embarrassing, but the past few days, I've had a burning sensation in my right buttock. It happens when I'm sitting and when I'm standing.

It's really weird. I've never had anything like this before.

Any ideas on what this could be? I don't like it when new symptoms crop up. I'm a little anxious about it because I always wonder if it's another Lyme symptom.

--------------------
I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease in August 2007, but I now feel it was a misdiagnosis. I was finally properly diagnosed with Chemical Sensitivity in February 2011. My life has changed drastically since then.

Posts: 128 | From Dallas, Texas | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaDubo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to associate burning sensations with nerves but really have no idea if that is accurate. Hope you find out.
Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same kind of horrific pain in my right thigh and left calf.

I don't know if we have the same causes, but my LLMD suspects it is a muscle cramp due to low magnesium. He said this is a common symptom of Lyme. He said magnesium infusions can help. I had my first one on Wednesday, along with a bunch of other vitamins and minerals and I think it helped, but I don't know. I'm still sore.

I haven't had much luck getting them to subside, although sometimes they will lessen then flare up again.

Sorry this is happening to you.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I get a weird burning pain, especially on my right buttock and sometimes my hip or thigh too. Dont know what it is. But Im getting another EMG (muscle and nerve) test done on Tuesday. Ill letcha know what the results are. Maybe that will help.

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have one of those hand exercise balls, sit on it putting pressure right on the spot where it hurts the most. A tennis ball with also do the trick. This release any knots, if that is the cause.

Works for me! It also sometime stops the numbness and tingling in my leg. PT taught me this trick. It is one of the pressure points.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
electrolite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for electrolite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your replies.

NanaDubo - Yes, I agree. That was my first thought, although I kind of hope it's a muscle problem and not a nerve problem.

Leelee - Thanks for the information. I normally take a liquid form of magnesium every day, but I ran out of it a week ago. I plan to get more on Saturday, so I'll see if that does the trick.

LisaS - Yes, let me know what the results of your EMG are. That would be helpful!

hurtingramma - Thanks for the tip. I will have to try that.

Does anyone think it could be my sciatic nerve? I don't know if this is a neuro symptom from Lyme or if it's because I stand several hours a day at my job and maybe doing that is starting to irritate my sciatic nerve.

--------------------
I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease in August 2007, but I now feel it was a misdiagnosis. I was finally properly diagnosed with Chemical Sensitivity in February 2011. My life has changed drastically since then.

Posts: 128 | From Dallas, Texas | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaDubo
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be sciatic nerve. A good chiro might be able to tell you and help with that.
Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DakotasMom01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DakotasMom01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would get some tests done to make sure it wasn't something more serious.

Like sciatica or a herniated spinal disk pushing on a nerve. Or a facet joint may have moved just a tiny bit.

Sometimes all it takes is a wrong move, even in your sleep.

--------------------
Take Care,
DakotasMom01

Posts: 371 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Overtherainbow
Member # 19199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Overtherainbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just my thought.... I had terrible burning PAIN in my right bum for days, especially at night or when sitting. I am active (though LYME tries to keep me down)and exercise only made it worse. Went to doc and was told it could be bursitis (sp?). I think I am fairly young for that--47. I believe it was Lyme induced, but what do I know??? He suggested (I think) a cortisone shot. I finally agreed and it did the trick. No pain since and that was 5 months ago. Good Luck.
Posts: 21 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
electrolite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16404

Thank you all for your responses. It doesn't seem like a muscle problem to me because it's not sore or painful like when my muscles are sore.

I feel like it could be a nerve problem because it doesn't hurt but it feels like my right buttock is on fire.

I do need to get it checked out. I'm hoping to go to a new doctor soon, so I hope she can help me.

--------------------

lymestop
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can not believe noone suggested this..

I think you should look into it being a Virus. Viruses tend to hang out and come out around the Hips and buttocks and legs down the nerve path.

I had this issue and am now on Valtrex and it has stopped the pain.

I have had these same burning feelings before and it was verified as viral so I knew when this came up what it was even though it was not in the same exact places.

Something I would very much consider.

I was told that these viruses can come out while treating for Lyme and bacterial infections even when laying latent for years.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
electrolite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16404

Hmm, very interesting. That is definitely not something I would have thought of as a possible cause.

I've tested positive for Epstein-Barr Virus, but I haven't been tested for any other viruses yet. I hope to get more labs done when I get to a new doctor.

Thanks for the advice, lymestop. Have you experienced any side effects from the Valtrex?

--------------------

lymestop
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello

I have not had any side affects what so ever. And as a lyme patient when you get used to having to deal with something that is great.

We all have viruses and even though I have past positive test results it did not matter and I did not test more or double check. My doc trusted me and added the meds and when i reported it relieved the symptoms he continued it.

We did try to do it only for a few weeks hoping it was from a flare or temporary and that was not true. So I am a bit worried that it has gone on this long.

I am doing new treatment for Lyme and having some big herxes too so i am not going to worry too much until later on.

I hope that my body will take it back over someday again..

I am taking it 3 x a day and i have not a single issue with it.

Is the sensation keep in the tissue and feel like it is on a nerve as opposed to muscle pain. If you have not had the viral nerve pain it can be hard to figure out..

Hope that helps.

Ironically my right side hurts more than my left??

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have that too. Burning pain r. buttock, down leg and into the foot. Also extends into my r. groin area. This same area has varying degrees of numbness at the same time. I am assuming it is nerve damage from Lyme. My balance is off, since my brain is not getting full sensory input from my feet.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
electrolite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16404

Lymestop, I'm glad the Valtrex has helped you without any side effects.

The sensation is really strange. I've never had anything like this before. It doesn't feel like muscle pain or strain at all. It's very different.

It's just more a burning feeling, like that area is really hot. It happens when I sit, when I stand, when I bend over, anytime. And it seems to be mostly constant.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement