LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » air hunger or anxiety?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: air hunger or anxiety?
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may be a chicken/egg question.

I'm not sure if what I am experiencing is air hunger or not. If it is, I would suspect it is a mild case of it.

For perhaps the last week, I often have a feeling that I need to take an extra breath. But the odd thing is, this will happen when I am at rest and breathing normally.

It feels like a misfiring signal or something like a blip or accidental message. I am having no trouble filling my lungs all of the way, but my body seems to "think" I'm not breathing well enough.

It is not severe, but it is unpleasant. It feels like I am having a small panic attack when it happens. Also, sometimes when it happens a lot, I do start to feel more panic/concern and think that only makes it worse.

I wonder if it is more likely an anxiety problem than a physical problem? (Either way, I'm blaming my Lyme and co.) I am under extra stress right now.

I have a clinical Babesia diagnosis, but so far have mostly been getting treatment for Lyme/Bart. My LLMD plans to start me on antimalarials in April.

Any ideas or comments are welcome. One of my concerns is that this issue will get worse suddenly or without much warning. If anyone can tell me that is not likely, that'd be a big help.

Thanks.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darla135
Member # 15688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for darla135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I experience the same issues, and I am attributing it to Lyme or Bart. Mine does not feel like a panic attack, but my body will automatically take a deep breath and it usually happens at rest.

I don't know what it is, but I hope you can find some relief. I can say, that though unrelated to this particular symptom, I experience more anxiety in general with Bart.

Best hopes for you.

Posts: 96 | From Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mine is similar but a little different

i involuntarially breathe in, in , in, -like 3 short in breaths...then i sort of sigh the out breath

i have done this for years

when i look/talk on here mine isn't like others...but it sounds more like yours than the others ihave run into

anyway..i just finished bart tx and start babs soon so we'll see

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Wonko --

Sounds like babs --

When other infections are being treated
it is common for other infection symptoms
to flair up somewhat --

When you start babs treatment it is also
likely that the air hunger will increase
for a while --

Personally I got air hunger for about
3 weeks after being treating Babs
for about one year or so--

I never really had them bad tho like
many others have--jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swachsler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swachsler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Wonko,

You said:

I often have a feeling that I need to take an extra breath. But the odd thing is, this will happen when I am at rest and breathing normally.

This is often how the air hunger is for me. I tested positive for babs.

But mine doesn't feel like a panic attack or anxiety. It's actually one of those cases where the symptom description describes it perfectly:

I'm hungry for air. I feel like I need more air, so I try to breathe more, more deeply, etc., and I still feel as if I'm not getting enough air.

It doesn't feel as if I'm suffocating. I don't feel truly panicky. I just feel like I can't get enough air.

It's very weird.

However, even when my air hunger has been at its worst, it hasn't been frightening for me, more sort of frustrating and odd.

Have you tried doing anything that helps with anxiety when this happens to see if, even if it is air hunger, you can do something that will make you feel less distressed by it and more able to sort out the anxiety from the air hunger?

Different things work for different people. Obviously taking deep breaths and remembering to breathe isn't as useful here. *smile*

I don't know if you have other behavioral techniques, meds, supplements, etc., that help with anxiety (whatever the cause). For me, sometimes just knowing I have some "tools" at the ready to cope with a symptom flare makes me feel more in control and calm to get through it.

Take care,
Sharon

Posts: 223 | From Western Mass. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, thaat sounds like what I go through.

I have a clinical babs diagnosis too (along with Lyme and bart).

When I first started treating with abx (Doxy) in the first few days the air hunger increased.

Now it's settled back to where it was before.

It's really disturbing.

Sometimes if it gets bad enough I start feeling panicky, but I think that's more my reaction to what's happening than an actual panic attack.

When it starts getting bad enough to bother me constantly, I take a Benadryl,, and for some reason that seems to pull it down enough for me to deal with it.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement