LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » (Can't do Rx.) Do salt & C, or ??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: (Can't do Rx.) Do salt & C, or ??
mel
Member # 14359

Icon 5 posted      Profile for mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had Lyme over a decade. I had antibiotics during the 1st 4 years. Since an '03 relapse, I had to stop Rx, and I relapse every other year. I had no Rx treatment for coinfections.
I'm on Paxil CR and klonapin but I just can't take more Rx.
What's a good alternative treatment to Lyme Rx? I read about 15g of salt and vit. C per day at this site: http://www.lymephotos.com/index.shtml
(Where's a quality, affordable source of salt capsules?)
If this treatment doesn't work, what is something I could try? I tried cat's claw capsules and tincture, and Warner's wormwood/black walnut/etc. extract, among other things.
Please help. Thanks so much. I need to simplify options and choose one.
--Mel [Frown]

Posts: 7 | From NE USA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would try Rife. MUCH safer than salt/c.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoot
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try this herb protocol.

http://sinomedresearch.com
http://hepapro.com

You can fill out a consult form and then get a free 15 minute scheduled consult with the doc.

I have heard that it works for some (just like any protocol). I just started my son on it so I don't have anything to report yet. We have never tried antibiotics.

Jen

[ 04-02-2009, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: hoot ]

Posts: 236 | From Illinois | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done salt/c (sea salt) for almost 3yrs with great success I am 80-90% better.

A lot of people here are afraid of the salt/c protocol I think partly because of the AMA scaring us about salt. It is TABLE SALT that is poison.

A lot of us are in fact salt deficient. Sea Salt has a lot of very valuable minerals that we need. If you are salt sensitive or have a pre-existing condition like diabetes it is not advised.

The salt tablets are hard to get and the sea salt seems to be a much better way to go. I use Real Salt. This is a very powerful protocol because salt is a natural broad spectrum antibiotic.

The key to this protocol is to keep going because it works on a deep cellar level and it is like peeling an onion. I hope you don't let anyone scare you away from this.

Always drink plenty of water and ramp up slowly. Do NOT start with high doses. If you need more info, let me know,

Gael

[ 03-21-2009, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: glm1111 ]

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife has used Rife frequency treatments as her main protocol.

It has greatly improved her symptoms and is the one treatment that she has never became sensitive to or had any adverse effects from.

You buy a machine once and you can use it for a life time, if needed. Nothing more to buy.

It also can get spirochetes in areas unreachable by treatments that rely on a blood supply for delivery.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zhang or buhner

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abigail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is salt/C the same as iodoral?

--------------------
Dying is easy. Living is harder.

Posts: 257 | From owensboro kentucky | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iodoral is iodine. Salt/C is sea salt and vitamin C.

Real Salt is sea salt that contains iodine and many other minerals. Hope this clarifys,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Gael has an excellent point about the kind of salt. You'd still want to be sure that you don't have high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiac rhythm [stuff] or kidney problems but it's good to have all that checked out before beginning anything new.

---

Here are some other things you might consider. Some have been mentioned.

===========

Salt/C (or Humanworm - www.humaworm.com ) can also address other intestinal parasites that might be dragging you down.

There's more here to study before added salt to be sure this would be a good fit for you:

http://kurtsprotocol.blogspot.com/2007/02/cautions-about-saltc.html

Cautions about Salt/C (2007)

---

And if (after a medical check-up) you choose the Salt/C path, be sure to study what others did who did well with it.

========================

http://tinyurl.com/5vnsjg

Healing Lyme: Natural Healing And Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis And Its Coinfections - by Stephen Harrod Buhner

web site options: www.gaianstudies.org/lyme-updates.htm

================

http://tinyurl.com/5drx94

Lyme Disease and Modern Chinese Medicine - by Dr. QingCai Zhang, MD & Yale Zhang

web site: try www.sinomedresearch.org and use "clinic" and then "clinic" for the passwords or call Hepapro through www.hepapro.com

==============

http://www.dancingviolets.com/media/pdf/LymeDisease.pdf

She is an ILADS member and a ND (naturopathic physician), so she has knowledge of the unique nature of the spirochete and what is required but also knows all about supportive techniques.

=============

http://www.steveclarknd.com/LymeDisease.htm

He, too, has a firm grasp of lyme and is a member of ILADS and a N.D.

===================

http://www.lymecommunity.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

RIFE machine - with lyme and TBD (tick-borne disease).

=================

General research sites:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Andrographis - 232 abstracts

Resveratrol - 2624 abstracts

Allicin - 297

Copits - 276 abstracts

======================

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/

The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tilltotson, et.al.)

While the only reference to lyme is in the chapter about Sarsaparilla, this is an excellent resource book about the forms and functions of herbs. Liver and adrenal support herbs are described in detail here, too.

Also at:

www.amazon.com/ One-Earth-Herbal-Sourcebook-Everything/dp/1575666170

=================

If you have a LL ND near you, that would be best so that you can have individualized care. Acupuncture is also very helpful as a support - it can help the herbs work better.

=================

While intended as support and not primary therapy, some of the supplements here are essential for lyme patients.

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

=====================

With thanks to Tincup for this link:

Information concerning a number of possible treatments methods have been listed here in an easy to find format:

http://www.webshopemporium.com/lymeandco-infectionAlternativeTreatments.htm

Alternative Treatments for Lyme Disease and Co-Infections

-

[ 03-21-2009, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Keebler,

Thanks for the additional info. I just wanted to add that since salt is a broad spectrum antibiotic it has addressed my co-infections as well as the bb and doesn't seem to discriminate.

Some people do rife as well. The other alternatives you mention can be beneficial also.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Thanks, Gael. I will go back up and adjust my wording.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mel
Member # 14359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THANKS everyone. I will check your links as long as I can stand being on the computer (makes me drowsy/stiff).
I have low blood pressure. My family Dr. said the salt/C should be okay (I think I told him 3g though). But it should be fine for me.

I can rife if I can travel, possibly once a week...? (Picking a machine seems overwhelming.) Need to find frequencies...

Zhang's protocol has to do with allicin, I think, and it makes me smell like a garbage dump BUT I'd be willing to try it as well. (I was on the allicin at the start of my 1st relapse and had to go off everything, abx and supp.s)

Col. silver I.V. sounds promising (it's not oral Rx, nor Rx)but how to get it...
I can't imagine doing blood irradiation (fainty).

Keep it up gang--thanks again!!
Mel
PS Can I put Real Salt or Celtic sea salt in capsules so I don't get acid reflux (was thinking of doing this with crushed andrographis tablets), anyway, C is easy to measure but salt is NOT

Posts: 7 | From NE USA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Mel...

yes you can put the sea salt in veg capsules...1 tsp is equal to 5,000mg. Any way you do it you must DRINK A LOT OF WATER!!

Salt is water soluble. BTW...the salt should help stabilize your b/p. It is also very much needed by the adrenal glands and so is vitamin c.

Mel, who told you about IV collidal silver, it sounds pretty risky to me. Good Luck,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just my usual word of caution. About 20% of the population is salt sensitive. You may have no symptoms ahead of time but in such case the salt&c protocol is dangerous. Both affect the osmolarity of the kidneys. I had a very adverse reaction to salt/c.

You can have kidney damage, heart damage, among other issues. You may not know if you have diastolic heart dysfunction--it isn't often tested for.

I think it is worth trying other protocols before salt/c. I think it is too dangerous in most cases. OTOH Gael has done well with it and she seems to have had some significant worm infestations, and it does make sense it would de-worm the gut.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Mel,

If you rife, you should not do it once a week for lyme. At first, no more than every 12 (twelve) days or you can damage liver/kidneys with the toxins released. The body just can't filter out any faster than every 12 days for a set amount of time and precise number of frequencies.

Also - if you are traveling, I'd not try the rife until you know you will be home for a few weeks in a row as there can be a reaction that many feel worse for a while afterward before they feel better.

I also have serious concerns about IV colloidal silver. I think that can be way too strong for your body to deal with that much in that manner.

Good luck with whatever path you take. I hope, though, that you have an excellent doctor to guide you. Please look for a LL ND who is ILADS-educated so they know all about these infections even if they choose a different path of treatment. I cannot tell you how important that is.

-

glm1111
Member # 16556

Oxy,

I understand your concerns about the salt for salt sensitive people. However most people are not salt sensitive and have had excellent results with this protocol.

On another note, I do not understand why you would think that I am the only on or one of a few who have significant worm infestation.

Willy Burgdorfer found Filarial Worms in the ticks that he tested and as an aside found spirochetes.

As noted on www.lymephotos.com

this seems to be a MAJOR component of Lyme disease and very possibly why so many people are still so sick.

I just can't believe that only a "Select Few" have encountered this. I just don't think that my Lyme disease is any different than anyone elses.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

She R Lock
Member # 18823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for She R Lock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with OXY,
The recommendation for sodium is 2400mg daily. Check any nutrition label in your kitchen. Most of us consume more than double the recommendation in our daily diets.
Sea Salt is 98% sodium. Excess sodium can cause problems with fluid retention,electrolyte imbalance,heart and kidney problems,stroke,gastric
cancer,osteoporosis and high blood pressure.
Please use caution with Salt/C. Anyone considering this regimen should be monitored by a health professional. Children and the elderly are particularly sensitive to extra sodium.

--------------------
Sherlock

Posts: 31 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mel
Member # 14359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During my 1st relapse in '03, I saw a reputable ND MD who had me take a little sea salt throughout the day. Whenever he tested me, he found that my kidneys kept moving it out--I needed more and more and more. Weak adrenals require more.

www.lymephotos.com says how peoples used to eat a LOT of salt. 12g of salt (or C) does seem like an awful lot...

I just need some non-Rx treatment that works but there's too much to choose from. Cowden and other protocols, etc.... A lot of things I've tried (mostly supplements, etc.) just seem to make it mad.

Keep the advise coming. It means a lot--thanks!!
Mel

lymewreck36
Member # 4395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewreck36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What complication is caused when you try salt/c and have diabetes?

Mary

Posts: 1032 | From North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have checked into the salt/c and was going to speak to my LLMD about it. However, I seem to have a problem with iodine and heartrate. It has something to do with my thyroid.

I now use salt w/o iodine. I surely get enough iodine in other things.

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement