LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Going gluten and casein free to see what happens-sugg. for books and other sources?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Going gluten and casein free to see what happens-sugg. for books and other sources?
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen a lot of great info from celiac.com as well as Autism resources, so I plan to draw from these.

Do any members have favorite cookbooks, info books, or websites they might recommend?

Thanks!

Maura

Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zombie_mummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suggest also looking into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which is grain- and lactose-free.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

Some have succeeded with SCD, where GFCF did not help so much.

I have no connection to the autism or celiac communities -I'm just a Lyme patient with GI issues.

--------------------
"Be it, don't dream it." -Dr. Frank-N-Furter

http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/zombie_mummy

Posts: 196 | From Canuckistan | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elizabeth Hasselbeck is a celiac and is coming out with a big book on it with RECIPES this May. I can't wait for it to come out!!

Oh! I think the book is called The G Factor. (G for gluten)

I got most of my info from www.celiac.com .. great site!

I would be interested in any other recipe books others have found.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Be aware that many gluten-free cookbooks and products can be all about sugar and simple carbs that are still very bad.

These cookbooks helped me the most when I became gluten-free. They are vegetarian but you can add chicken or fish easily.

Just about all the gluten free grains have many recipes here:

Any of the Moosewood cookbooks.

The Enchanted Broccoli Forest

A Spoonful of Ginger

The Cure is in the Kitchen

-

[ 03-21-2009, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so far to my knowledge, still NO cookbook for both GLUTEN/CASEIN allergies !!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone on the delphi celiac forum has just gotten such a gf cf book published, I forgot what the name is. It is more about the autism spectrum and eating gfcf.

There should be some gfcf recipe collections on the net. I am sure someone has some links to some.

Both me and my daughter are gfcf but we live in Europe so we do not really keep track of american gfcf books and websites, but i notice there are some around.

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great suggestions. I really like the autism books, northernlights, because they shed light on the mental connection. That is the route I am going to follow. They say the gluten and casein produce opiate-like substances which mess with the cognitive process.

BettyG, is that for real? Are you gluten and casein free?

Keebler, thank you. I love, love, love the Moosewood books, and have used them for years. I didn't think to use them. I have actually been to the Moosewood restaurant in Ithaca, NY!

Lymetoo, that's interesting. She has the most gorgeous skin. Maybe it comes from eating GF. I think it eliminates so much junk from the system.

Thanks, Zombie! I was wondering what the SCD term meant, as I have seen it posted here and there.

Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zombie_mummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome. I also would suggest you might investigate the GAPS Diet, which is based on SCD. There's a lot of free info available at the website.

http://gapsdiet.com/

--------------------
"Be it, don't dream it." -Dr. Frank-N-Furter

http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/zombie_mummy

Posts: 196 | From Canuckistan | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by mazou:

BettyG, is that for real? Are you gluten and casein free?

my tests came back with both; allergic to

wheat, milk, cheeses, egg WHITES, and garlic! go figure.

i've not given up all wheat! love my pizza too much ... once/wk. cut down on bread perhaps once/wk.

so that's another area i really need to MAKE COMMITMENTS TO DO IT; not talk about it.

i've talked to diabetic dieticians about it; was online prior and NO combo books at that time.

head chef at our hospital puts on a "feed" annually for us diabetics, and took into consideration my gluten/casein issues this last time. again, he stated NO cookbooks on both.

n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a search on the delphi celiac forum, and i found this thread http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=70725.1 where someone posted she wrote a gfcf book, and Barrie also wrote a book which is on amazon. http://www.puttingyourkidsfirst.com/

I have not read any of them.

nora

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Contact Kirkman Labs.

They might have some suggestions. They have many products that are CASEIN free and the owner of that place is brilliant and very helpful in guiding people to good sources of information. The owner also has a good knowledge of lyme, celiac, autism, etc.

If you can't speak with the owner, ask for his office manager.

You might want to first familiarize yourself with their business. I don't know if they sell books, though.

http://www.kirkmanlabs.com

Kirkman Labs

Here's their contact page:

http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/CMSPage.aspx?Page_Id=6

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Thanks! I got a great book today:

The Kid-Friendly ADHD and Autism Cookbook: The Ultimate Guide to the Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Diet

Bettyg, it seems to have a bunch of gluten and casein-free options. Then again, some of them are "kiddish" recipes, but I'm sure they can be modified. And, here, I found a link for a gluten-free pizza crust for you : )

http://www.grouprecipes.com/s/gluten-free-pizza-dough/recipe/1/relevancy

northernlights, I have actually seen that book before! I don't remember when or where, but when I searched today, I knew I had come across it in the past. Looks really good.

Thanks for the Kirkman information, Keebler. I will look at it asap. Oh, wait! That's the company that Jenny McCarthy recommends for supplements. I just read her book, trying to get a handle on the GF/CF approach, as well as other therapies for improving brain function. Not the most well-written book, but a powerful story nonetheless. Recommended.

Thanks!

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

The more I learn to cook with herbs such as fresh rosemary, thyme, etc. the richer my gourmet options.

Fresh rosemary has been such a blessing.

Even the simple act of sauteing an onion can make anyone a gourmet.

I've tried some gluten-free pizza crusts and still too refined carbs for my system (although I do many gluten-free whole grains) - so I just use chicken breasts as my base and top with pasta sauce, veggies and all those great herbs.

There are some good gluten-free pastas. Trader Joe's has one Tinkyada makes a whole line. From brown rice. In moderation and balanced with protein and fat, this seems to work okay on the glycemic index.

The Penne cooks well but if you want to store it for next day or a pasta salad, keep it in some of the liquid you cooked it in so it stays soft.

-

Shosty
Unregistered

For baking, Red Mill makes good alternatives, including a bread mix that can be used for muffins. It contains xanthum gum, which is necessary for GFCF baking, for consistency, and is based on garbanzo bean flour and others. We also use fine corn flour (although I also cannot have this!).

I made my own recipes using this flour, along with sweet potato, banana, blueberris or pumpkin, mixed with egg, allowed oil, and either rice or soy milk, or applesauce. I also add bits of fruit of raisins.

Rice is an important part of our diet: rice hot cereal, rice cold cereal, rice cakes, rice and veggies and/or meat/poultry/fish.

My diet is extremely limited. I have many, many new onset allergies. But I do okay and have gotten used to it.

The SCD is not possible for everyone, of course, including me. In theory, it makes sense, but I react to a lot of things on that diet's list.

mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Thanks, Keebler. I'll try Trader Joe's. We just got one in Downtown Brooklyn. Your chicken pizza sounds good! It reminds me, my sister used to make pizza with ground beef as the crust. I think it was South Beach?

Shosty, it's good to hear that the Red Mill adds the xanthum gum, for I am mystified by this process!

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Trader Joe's has many gluten-free products. But I must caution that many still are not all that healthful regarding the glycemic index so be sure to look at the labels.

For Christmas, I thought I would celebrate and I tried their gluten-free quiche (frozen section). It was beyond awful.

Their gluten-free Penne (pasta) comes in a green and clear cellophane bag.

====

http://www.traderjoes.com/Attachments/NoGluten.pdf

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free product LIST

--

They do not have a casein free list but you might call your store and ask them to guide you if there is a particular product you want.

You can find your store's phone number here: http://www.traderjoes.com

==========

If you have a Whole Foods near you, they will be very helpful. You could even call for an appointment with someone to go through the store with you -- and ask ahead if they have lists. Their web site may also address this.

-

nnlpups
Member # 19602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nnlpups     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I was put on a gluten free diet by one of my doctors a while back. I picked up a copy of:

Wheat-Free, Worry-Free: The Art of Happy, Healthy Gluten-Free Living by Dana Korn

It's a great book with lots of helpful information, a nice list of foods/additives to avoid, and includes some recipes.

Posts: 22 | From Lala Land | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

nnipups,

thanks for that title. I found it at Amazon. And you can look inside.

http://tinyurl.com/de7lwf

That is one of the splendid things about Amazon and great if you are trying to get sense of the ingredients recommended in a cookbook. You can look at table of contents and the index and get a good clue.

-

Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two cookbooks I recently bought that I like are:

"Healthful Eating" by Lynette J. Hall

and

"The Candida Albicans Yeast-Free Cookbook" (updated second edition) by Pat Connolly

I would say the first of the two has slightly more innovative recipes (they are a little more like something you wouldn't have thought of yourself that you don't see in every yeast-free cookbook)

Both of these books focus on a Yeast-Free approach, but most of the recipes are gluten free and dairy free. I believe both books do consider butter okay, or dairy on occasion, but actually most recipes do not include butter or dairy, or they include a dairy-free alternative.

I got them both from amazon.com.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susiecv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maura-

Try this site for simple & delicious GF/CF recipes. Many good links available from there too.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

Sue

Posts: 249 | From finger lakes, ny | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link, susie!

Keebler, you're right about many books ending up with too much sugar. I hope to be able to browse Elizabeth's book before buying it.

I want entree recipes, not fluff!

I had a post in General Support for gluten free hamburger meat or ground turkey recipes. Anybody have one of those for me??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

This is such a good thread. I am going to bed now (zonked), but will look at the latest suggestions tomorrow. Thanks, everyone.
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

I love the looks of Glutenfreegoddess! Thanks, Susie. And thanks, Nnlpups and Hoosiers, I will definitely look up the books on Amazon.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement