LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » antioxident questions??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: antioxident questions??
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LLMD suggesting heavy antioxident use, does have preference of brand, but do not think there is a personal gain for him. is not sold in his office

so here is what we know : lyme and co have intracellular function. i know lyme has many forms and can be in blood, in cell, or in cyst form...babs like malaria and bart is intracellular parasite

so, question is wont the heavy anti-oxident use protect the infected cells as much as the healthy ones??

example:
i am comparing this to is cancer chemo tx. when patient on chemo anti oxidents are avoided. they protect the "cancer cell" (which is the mutated cell making it then a cancer cell) as much as the bodys healthy cells

i understand chemo is not cell specific, will attack the good ones too

trying to understand this fully and think it though before spending big $$ on something that very well may make the infected cells healthier??

i get how antibiotics work, and the prob with lyme is how smart it is at getting past immune system. i do not understand the impact of this with lyme and co

just trying to get more info, know lots of you on here use the antioxidents and am sure understand the dynamic behind it in regards to lyme better than i do...looking to be educated in this!!

as far as my tx: did doxy for few mo., 1 mo cipro then changed to IV rocephin and mepron/zith for babs

dx: llyme. rmsf, bart, babs...cdc+ on lyme..but only make igm antibodies to all, so immune system is trashed after yrs of rhum. tx's

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As always we deal with a lot of unknowns. I have taken a full range of anti oxidants thru out my treatment. You also have to support your other bodily functions, as well. I think that you have

an LLMD that acknowledges the need for them is good.
Doctors get access to the best brands and read the the assays to determine if the product is a good one

Alternative M.D.s have always disputed stopping them when on chemo. New info has come out supporting their position. http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSCOL06872820080910

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the link...any more insight would be appreciated !!

(and just know that the standard oncology docs here- MD anderson- very against using antioxidents with chemo- have studies that show decline in outcome with use to ca cells)

i have some understanding of standard western medicine approach. i am not very educated on alternative approaches and am trying to learn. even looking into accupuncture as part of tx...possibly???

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement