LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Joints are killing me!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Joints are killing me!!!
saved10
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saved10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else having this problem with their joints???

Been on ABX for 5 weeks

Posts: 200 | From Nevada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeafFromLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm haveing the EXACT SAME issue and have been on ABX the EXACT same amount of time! Its AWFUL!

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

www.24weekperfectbaby.blogspot.com

Son's blog born at 24 weeks.

Posts: 356 | From massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saved10
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saved10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I want any company on this, however at least I know I'm not the only one.

Are you taking anything for the pain?

Hope you feel better soon!!!!

Candace

Posts: 200 | From Nevada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xoxoxox
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xoxoxox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too Candace. Taking Darvocet seemed to dull it a little but it also made my brain a little "dull" too.

Of course, that could've been brain fog [Smile]

Taking a bath was also helpful. The warm water seemed to soothe the pain.

Hope you feel better soon!
Danni

--------------------
----------
Danni

Posts: 311 | From Glen Mills, PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BAD joint pain with yall!! norco, even methadone hardly keeping pain at bay....knees are the worst!! but also stuck with muscle, nerve, bone,etc...

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ment to post, use the Flex cream from pharmanex recommeded in Dr B's guidlines, helps at times

have to order from their website (pharmanex) then rub small amt into area, then leave on layer to absorb on its own, that with some pain meds can help for me anyway, on days that are nto horrible

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard1062
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1062     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just about to start a thread on this very topic. Our daughter has so much joint pain, it is awful to see. She has only been on Doxy for 10 days so far.

Tylenol and Ibuprofen have no effect. She refuses the codeine and muscle relaxants as they make her too dopey.

A heating pad gives some comfort, but doesn't really help much. She can't take a bath because her neck is too stiff.

Anybody have any ideas of what to do??

Posts: 228 | From Mass. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back up guys and take it slowly. Find a doctor to help you detox while fighting the lyme. This may require two doctors.

Please don't ignore me. Inflammation in the joints equals damage to the joints. Too much killing bugs can overwhelm your immune system and throw you into auto-immune disorder. It did me and now I battle Rheum. Arthritis in addition to lyme and babesia.

The first doctor I worked with believed in toughing it out and this was a mistake. Subsequent doctor takes it slow and does much to keep me detoxified and anti-inflammed.

We use anti-inflammatory herbs, drugs, diet. Also detoxing herbs, drugs, diet.

This is very very serious advice. Please do not think Lyme cannot move you into auto-immunity. That is what MS, Parkinsons, ALS, Rheum. Arthritis, etc are and lyme is well known to cause these issues.

Getting rid of the bugs will get rid of your joint pain but the joint pain itself is a warning to you that you are going about it too fast for your body to handle.

Please proceed with caution.

It is very hard to put an auto-immune disorder into remission.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard1062
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard1062     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you. But our daughter had bad joint pain BEFORE she started on the Doxy. I think the bugs were multiplying, not dying off, all that time.

So far, the abx seem to be having no noticable effect on her symptoms.

Also before she started the Doxy she was already taking digestive enzymes, essential fatty acids, and herbs for support of adrenals, thyroid, and pituitary. Which, by the way, also do not have noticeable benefit.

Of course, maybe she would be even worse off without them.

Her first appt with an LLMD is not til May, so we are doing the best we can with her homeopath plus my web research, this site, and the beloved Dr. B's writings.

Can you tell me what anti-inflammatory herbs you are taking?

Posts: 228 | From Mass. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Radha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
joint pain is one of the worst symptoms for me,

its 24 hrs a day and always feel like the bone is

on fire and then sudden sharp stabbing in the

bone, i take oxycontin but can only tolerate such

a low dose so it only helps alittle

Radha

Posts: 392 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zyflammend by New Chapter works wonders on joint paint caused by inflammation. Got me off prescription NSAIDS years ago. I give it daily to my elderly dogs as well.

It's stocked at Vitamin Shoppe in the stores and their website.

http://www.newchapter.com/products/zyflamend-vegecaps

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My knees are the worst joints to be bothering me lately. I just ramped up on my meds, so I think that is the cause.

However much warm water feels good, it also makes them more swollen. Last night after I had gone to the pool, I could barely walk - knees looked like footballs! Oh, the pain of it all!

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemommy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard,

I'm sorry to say, but 10 days into tx is way too soon to see improvement. Lyme tx takes time, even for kids. As many have said, it is a marathon, not a sprint.

I know how rough it is to see your child in pain, but it will get better in time. Just not as quickly as you expect/want. Are you familiar with the term 'herx'? It is very likely that this is a part of what your child is going through.

My child, like yours, had joint pain (and stomach pain) prior to tx, and shortly after starting abx, had his first herx. His whole body hurt, he couldn't even tolerate having someone touch him. And all we could do was give hime tylenol, he was way too young for anything else.

It did get better. The herx lasted one night. The aches and pains from lyme, well the worst was over within a year. The neurological symptoms (which our child does have), well that's still ongoing, but getting better.

My advice as a parent? Be patient, be loving, and keep as much positive support for your child, your self and your family going, as you will all need it.

Wishing the best for your child and you,
kp

ps, for the others with joint pain, yup I'm feelin it with ya! I don't know about others, but mine comes goes, and has been for years.

For example, my knees used to act up every winter, I'd end up limping around. This year, the knees are fine. It's my hips!! They hurt for a few days, then they're fine. Then they hurt again.

Now its my neck and shoulders, like I've got whip lash.

Ugh.............

Posts: 394 | From tinton falls nj | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been one of my major symptoms, as in daily difficult to deal with. Pain so bad in knees, hips, and ankles/feet, I can't walk, and pain in hands, shoulders, sometimes even elbows. Even my spine can sometimes have me writhing in pain and crying out.

I am housebound, and on my worst days, bedbound. Ever since I went on an anti-inflammation diet (really an elimination diet), my symptoms have improved somewhat, and I have been losing weight/swelling.

I imagine with time the symptoms will improve more! I don't believe it will solve my arthritis pain or swelling completely, but it certainly helps.

I was on the elimination diet for 3.5 months, and just tested eating some potato, and then a week or so later, some gluten. BOTH of these sent me into increased joint pain and neurological problems.

For my elimination diet I removed:

* gluten

* nightshade family vegetables and spices (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, cayenne, eggplants, etc.)

* most sugar (I need to remove it all but it's very difficult to avoid sometimes)

* milk and cheese products (I seem to have a problem with the lactose AND the casein)

Basically, the arthritis pain and swelling went down, and the overall inflammation in my body went down. I wish I didn't have to test out the potatoes and gluten to be sure, because I am still dealing with the effects a week+ later, and probably will be for a few more weeks.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with luvs - inflammation and detox - both serious issues while treating lyme.

I've had joint pain since shortly after I was infected. Over the years, I've found that relaxing the muscles can help ease the joint pain. That's probably why a bath helps - it helps relax muscles.

If my husband rubs my calf muscle I can get relief in my ankles and knees. May not work for everyone as it would depend on the cause of your joint pain but it's worth a try.

Massage will also help move toxins out.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saved10
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18413

luu2ride....I agree with you, I see my LLMD next Friday and will talk him about these issues!!!

Thanks, for posting!

lizajane
Member # 16931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizajane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joint pain, oh yeah
Mostly my hands but running a close second is my knees then toes then elbows.

I had joint pain prior to starting abx. Since starting abx. The joint and muscle pain changes somewhat, is here then there but it is my constant companion.
Oh as above the last month my neck has been so sore.

--------------------
IGM Result Positive
CDC/NYS Result Positive

**23-25 kDa ++
**31 kDa +
**34 kDa IND
**41 kDa +
58 kDa +

IGG Result Negative
CDC/NYS Result Negative

**31 kDa IND
**39 kDa IND
**41 kDa ++

Posts: 27 | From middle of nowhere | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atheana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atheana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Body pain has always been my main issue,I don't know if it's joint /
bones or muscles. My hands,elbows,shoulders,lower back,neck,you name it really hurts .

I have been off of ABX since Jan 26 and my inflammation is within normal range(14).

This disease is so confusing.

If I have a massage it feels great,but the next day I am knocked out with tiredness and soreness (even if their light).

My prays are with you all tonight!

Atheana

Posts: 196 | From from a far | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard1062
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19233

atheana, your inflammation is within normal range, 14,

What does that mean? How is it measured?

atheana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atheana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea!
Dr told me it's within the normal range.

Just should up in my blood test,SED rate by modified westergren?

Atheana

Posts: 196 | From from a far | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement