LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » chest pain from PICC line or Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: chest pain from PICC line or Lyme
Blue Skies
Member # 19227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I recently had a PICC line inserted right upper arm into supperior vena cava 3 weeks ago. Over the past 5 days ive had difficult breathing and pain around the chest, a few arrythmias delayed beats. Is this from the PICC, the rocephin/lyme? Its making me wonder if I should have the line at all, right arm?
Blue skies

--------------------
Blue Skies

Posts: 11 | From Hudson NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did they check the placement of the line with x-ray? Sometimes the line can slip and poke your heart area.

It is something that needs attention. Cal your doctor or home health nurse.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Skies
Member # 19227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Feelfit,
originally the line had to be pulled back, they said the x ray was ok, but i still have the symptoms, going for an echo of the heart tomorrow.
Blue Skies

--------------------
Blue Skies

Posts: 11 | From Hudson NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Avery. My Picc line caused me pain in my upper clavicle neck area when I bent over....hopefully everything is ok for you.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a picc line but I do have a port. With that all aside, I have had chest pain due to lyme as being my very first symptom.

At the same time, I know that ports or piccs can also cause chest pain, so sadly, I think you do need to get it checked out to get to the root of it so I'm glad to hear you are also getting the echo of the heart.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tcw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tcw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you developed the symptoms about 2.5 weeks into treatment, I would say the more likely explanation is herx, but you definitely want to have the placement of the PICC verified again.
Posts: 263 | From Capital Region, NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny in MI
Member # 17225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenny in MI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
watch for dvt's. i had three in picc line and went on blood thinner - lovenox, for three mths. dvt's are serious. go to the ER if you have bad pain w picc line.
Posts: 63 | From Clarkston, MI | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Hey Blueskies,

How did things go?

Blue Skies
Member # 19227

Hi Feelfit,

I had the echo today, wednesday and was given a holter monitor to return on thursday. -JENNY IN MI WROTE BACK BEWARE OF DVT's what are those? Ill have the results soon and on Monday Im scheduled for a stress echo.
Blue Skies

--------------------
Blue Skies

Jenny in MI
Member # 17225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenny in MI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry it took so long to reply. Some people say lyme makes your blood thicker. I had pain in my left arm where the picc was and in my left side of my neck...so they did an ultrasound and found three deep vein thrombosis (dvt) all along the veins that were around the picc. These can be dangerous if they migrate to the lungs (pulmonary embolism). Just be cognizant of swelling and strange pain. If you have anything unusual call your doc. The chest pain might be from a herx too. With all the crazy lyme symptoms that come and go you can never be sure. Just wanted to make sure you were aware that dvt's are a possibility, although might be rare, I don't know. If you do get them, they might put you on lovenox while the picc line is in there. Don't worry, you are probably fine. Hope you are feeling better soon! Jenny
Posts: 63 | From Clarkston, MI | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement