LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ever heard of an allergy to the herbicide 2,4-D??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ever heard of an allergy to the herbicide 2,4-D??
charlie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25

Icon 9 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Yikes...the neighbor oversprayed it into our yard and I thought I was going to have to go to the ER. couldn't breathe and all, that's why I've been MIA here and on the chatroom for 2 weeks.

I thought it was oak pollen but never had a reaction like that.

It also killed the fig tree, tomato plants, all that...yep I reported it to the TX DOA...wheels set in motion I can't undo...somebody's going to lose their license to spray Ag chems.

too bad...anybody heard of a reaction to 2,4-D or Grazon like that??

at least it didn't trigger a relapse so some good news...

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

No one should be around stuff like this. I would not call a reaction to poison an allergy.

Sorry to hear this happened to you. It's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg with the toxins that are legal.

Be sure your liver support is steady and drink lots of water if you do not have a water supply that this stuff has seeped into.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They use the stuff to kill broadleaf weeds in the hayfield...If done right it just does the job and becomes inert quickly...if done carelessly it blows around and kills stuff you don't want dead.

This was a problem with inept handling of chemicals, and if the stuff can make fig tree leaves wad up like a clenched fist it can't be good inhaled.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uh-oh charlie!!

i was wondering where you were, i figured when that farting thread didn't smoke you out, something must be wrong!

liver detox, yes (lots of fresh lemon in hot water is good to start).

i'll try and look up the chemical(s). not sure if it would metabolize through kidneys as well.
lungs too.

yikes. i hope you clear this soon, poor thing!!
did you see a doctor about it?

back later --

mo

--------------------
life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage
-- anais nin

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tried to bold what may be of interest.
sounds as tho you can flush this out.
it moves through lungs, liver, blood, kidneys.

i found a good all in one detox elixir i was looking at myself recently, looks pretty good.
i'll paste it here when i find it,
if it interests you.

sounds like you got a strong dose of this stuff on account of mishandling!
you can clear most of it from your system, but at the bottom you'll see it says it can stay in the soil quite a while.

mo

-----------snipped below----------------

HEALTH HAZARD PROFILES

COMMON NAME: 2,4-D
CHEMICAL NAME: (2,4-dichlorophenoxy)
acetic acid

TRADE OR OTHER NAMES: There are
many forms or derivatives (esters, amines, salts)
of 2,4-D. Products containing 2,4-D include
Weedtrine-II, Aqua-Kleen, Barrage, Plantgard,
Lawn-Keep, Planotox and Malerbane.

USES: 2,4-D is used to control many types of
broadleaf weeds. This compound is used in cul-
tivated agriculture and in pasture and rangeland
applications, forest management, home and gar-
den situations and for the control of aquatic
vegetation.

ACUTE TOXICITY: While laboratory tests
suggests that it is only moderately toxic, it has
produced serious eye and skin irritation among
agricultural workers, causing it to be considered
highly toxic.

SYMPTOMS: In humans, prolonged breathing
of 2,4-D causes coughing, burning, dizziness,
and temporary loss of muscle coordination.

Symptoms of poisoning include: fatigue and
weakness with nausea. On rare occasions there
can be inflammation of the nerve endings with
muscular effects following high levels of expo-
sure.

CHRONIC TOXICITY: Routine ingestion
over long period of time may result in stupor,
signs of incoordination, weak reflexes, and uri-
nary incontinence.

Reproductive Effects- There is sufficient evi-
dence to suspect that 2,4-D may be capable of
causing reproductive problems.

Teratogenic Effects- 2,4-D has a very limited
ability to cause birth defects consisting of skeletal
abnormalities. Up to 20% of 2,4-D absorbed
passes through the placenta in animal studies.

Mutagenic Effects- 2,4-D has been very ex-
tensively tested for mutagenicity, however the
evidence is too equivocal to draw any firm con-
clusions.

Carcinogenic Effects- Possible human car-
cinogen. Some evidence suggest an association
of 2,4-D exposure with cancer, specifically non-
Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Target Organ(s)- Liver, blood

Fate in Humans and Animals- The absorption of the herbicide is almost complete in mammals after ingestion and nearly all of a dose is
excreted unchanged in the urine.

The compound is readily absorbed through the skin and
lungs also. The half-life is between 10 and 20
hours in living organisms. There is little evidence
to suggest that the compound accumulates to
any significant level. Peak concentrations of 2,4-
D were found in the blood, liver, kidney, lungs
and spleen with lower levels in muscle and brain
between six and eight hours after exposure. Af-
ter 24 hours there were no detectable tissue resi-
dues.

No Observed Affect Level- 1 mg/kg (rats)

Biopersistence- Half-life in soils is 2-16 days,
depending on conditions

(which means you might still be picking this up from the field or water, ect??)

--------------------
life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage
-- anais nin

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Mo, Keeb,....no I didn't go to a doctor, I'd be made sicker by sitting in a waiting room for hours only to find out I know more than the duck.

Interestingly I found in an old RX book from the 1980s waaaay preceding the Shoemaker protocol that Questran (CSM) was often given for pesticide poisoning back then.

I may try that since I have a couple weeks worth even though I'm dealing with a herbicide not a pesticide.

I just got an email from Maddog noting that he had to go to the ER once from inhaling 2,4-D....OK I'm onto something now.

I hate to be a gripy neighbor but this is over the top when a hobby farmer can make people sick. The Dept of Ag people will be here in the morning.

Charlie [Mad]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. So sorry to hear this, charlie!!

And to think that we all basically ingest herbicides since they have stuff GMO'd and then spray the crops with herbicide.

We eat it daily.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am NOT surprised. It CAN happen quite easily from the right conditions(heat and humidity) 2-4-D will 'walk' thru the night,Light breeze is worst. Heavy hanging humidty causes it to walk.

IF its Grazon the soil WILL hold that for a long time,,depending on if that was spray contact or just wind drift fumes.

It will kill trees deader than a doornail on small amounts!!! 2-4-D will too under right conditions,but big trees usually recover unless drowned!!

I used to get literally drowned in that stuff,,,was always told I was just a wuss. Went from open tractor to one with a cab,,,getting sick was getting real old!!(this was active spraying where the wind carried it back OVER THE TOP of me!!

Where I live Banvel(which is a form of these things) cant be used after a certain date,,,bout June 1 I think because of walk concerns.

To prove how this stuff can walk on its own,,,a neighbor sprayed his farm with a little spray,,it walked on over 1/2 mile to a organic farmers orchard and killed his apple trees. He wasnt too happy on that one either.

Hope you feel better soon tho!! Take care and read up on the detox things that can help!!

Find out EXACTLY what was used and how much and report back,,,interested on what they find!!!(they HAVE to keep records of that) Was this ground applied or airplane flown on??

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
found it.

i've been looking for a long time for the original sweedish bitters formula.

i found it at this somewhat obscure site.
it's not anything like the sweedish bitters we're used to seeing, it's a great overall detox formula.

i'm referring to the powder formula on this page, that you brew:

http://www.amaluxherbal.com/paracelsus_elixir_swedish_bitters_schwedenbitter.htm

questran may be a good bet, just thought i'd share this, too.

give 'em hell, charlie!
i hope you feel better asap.

mo

swachsler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swachsler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I echo what Keebler said -- it's not an allergy. You've been poisoned.

My neighbor put down herbicide and chemical fertilizer pellets (which included 2,4D) two years ago -- right before I got Lyme, and I had migraines, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, disorientation, trouble breathing, and other things I can't think of at the moment.

Just to have my windows open or to go past their house would make me severely ill.

Also, herbicides are a form of pesticide. Pesticide is the general term for any poison used to kill a pest, when flora or fauna. Pesticides can be broken down into herbicide, rodenticide, fungicide, and insecticide, to name a few.

If you want more info on the danger of 2,4D to give to your neighbor, feel free to PM me. I collected a great deal to give to my neighbor, focusing especially on its health effects on children and dogs, since they have both.

If you are able to do coffee enemas and take loads of buffered Vitamin C and much water, water, water, that might help you detox.

Best,
Sharon

Posts: 223 | From Western Mass. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement