LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Here is a lab confirmed benefit of the power of herbs! Fighting EBV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Here is a lab confirmed benefit of the power of herbs! Fighting EBV
Jellybelly
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never used herbs to much before. Awhile back I psted about my new battle with EBV. My titers were up over 2600, and I was started on a VERY toxic antiviral, Valcyte. I was thrilled when after the first 2 months my titers dropped to 1400, normal is still arouond 140. But then I had to cut my dose in half as protocol suggests. 2 months later, titers up to 2000. 2 months after that titers up to 2600 again. PLUS my liver was now suffering.

I was really disappointed, and feeling rather depresssed. I stopped the Valcyte and really quickly the fatigue came roaring back. I don't generally get depressed but I was beginning to succumb.

I had been seeing an accupunturist for about 5 weeks for my dry eyes, which is a whole other bizzare twist of a story. I'll put that on a seperate thread. Anyways, accupucturist is also an heralist. He started me on a combination of I don't know what other then it is an antiviral formula.

The stuff is the most herrendous tasting thing I have ever had to put in my mouth. I really didn't know how I was going to do this! I brew the herbs at home anddI was to drink 3 cups a day on an empty stomach.

Somehow I managed to dring a cup, but thought I don't think I can do this, it is bitter beyond belief. Thankfully I fugured a way around that and managed to get the stuff down 3 times a day. Looks like something you raked up in the back yard, let it get moldy, dry it out and then make a tea out of it!

Within a day or two I started herxing. Bad headaches, pain all over and very painful migrating joint pain. Rarely left the house. I even had a finger swell and get stiff like it was sprained for about 2 days, then it went back to normal.

At about day 10 I woke up, feeling achy but then my heart started acting up big time. Missing beats at about 2 to 1. I would get flashes of dizzy, and tightness in my chest. Actually it was more like I had an ace bandage tightly wrapped around my chest. Since I have had a history of V-tach, I thought I should go to the hospital.

As I was sitting there feeling awful, it dawned on me last time I was in the ER it was about 7 years ago, and 8 days into treatment with Doxy for the lyme. I was probably herxing then and was probably herxing this tine too.

Of course, by thee time the EKG is hooked up all is looking normal, but I had also taken my beta blocker after the banging around in my chest started, calmed things down as it should.

Believeing that I was herxing I cut back on the herbs to 2 cups a day, still feeling kind of cruddy, but tolerable and with each day, usually feeling better. I am to the poinnt where I feel about 75% back to my normal energy levels with a nap here and there. I was needing them every day, and going to bed at 8-8:30.

Just got my lab results yesterday. I was so happy, the EBV is down to 2289 from 2601! My liver is recovering nicely AND the HHV6 is out of the positive range and just into the Equivicol range!

I am heading in the right direction! It looks like it is going to be slow going, but I'll take it. I am increasing the tea back to 3 cups a day as I can handle it.

So here is one [woohoo] for herbs, and I just hope it keeps going in a positive direction.

[ 03-31-2009, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Jellybelly ]

Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jellybelly,

That stuff sounds awful, but I always love it when I can get the same (and better) results using something that is NOT damaging other parts of my body.

Here is hoping you get completely well.

I am shocked at your herxing symptoms. I too have EBV and HHV-6 although the doctor hasn't dealt with them yet. We are busy with the Babesia.

Lord, is this game ever over?

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would love to know what your herbalist is using - any chance of him disclosing the ingredients?
Posts: 191 | From Ontario | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow that's great! Please see if you can get the formula and post it -- even if it's the Chinese names for the herbs as they are pretty easy to look up.

It's probably a standard formula -- often the formula itself will have a name and we could Google it and look up the individual ingredients. Let us know if you can just get the name of the formula.

It would be great to have an herbal alternative to Valcyte as HHV-6 in particular is hard to target.

Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from the description it sounds like traditional Chinese herbs. The way that Chinese herbalists diagnose and what herbs they use is really individual because in addition to targeting any known pathogens, they'll be targeting all these 'symptoms', and they'll base it on what they call 'constitution' (ie a larger person might get a totally different combo for treating the same disease than a frail thin person).

I also went to a chinese herbalist recently and told him I was taking antimalarials and that I had some other symptoms like air hunger. He prescribed totally different herbs last week (which he said included antimalarial herbs) than he did this week, based on what he was seeing in my symptoms from one week to the next.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with MariaA - but it would still be interesting to find out what herbs you are taking, if possible.

I know some Chinese doctors don't really like to disclose which herbs they give you...

I've taken that stuff before - It's pretty awful tasting. I guess it depends on which herbs they give you. Still, I remember it being awful.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good, Jelly. I always like to know what I'm taking because then I can do a little research...

If you find out what's working, please share as many are going through similar issues [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey JB...

What a ROUGH road.. but glad you are coming back out of it and are feeling better!

Thanks for sharing!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement