LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Best Biofilm eaters??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Biofilm eaters??
cottonbrain
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone noticed any difference since using biofilm destroyers?

If so, what are you using? Dosage?

I've used the folowing for a few months, with no noticeable changes:

- lauricidin
- freeze-dried garlic
- serrapeptase
- oregano oil

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been using CalciClear

I am also on heparin, I dont think heparin directly thins out biofilm but it does thin out the blood which can let antibiotics reach more bacteria.

Posts: 458 | From Miss | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey cottonbrain! Nice to see you!

I'm very interested in this topic... thanks for posting it.

I just stumbled around a health food store yesterday trying to learn stuff ... but left even more confused.

So, please do share.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Buster... is that you?

I didn't mean to ignore you... I tend to focus on the content and not the "who".

Sorry!

Hope you are doing better!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found some information that indicates heparin works. Which is great because heparinn has so many other benefits too.
Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawnee
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not using it yet... but stabilized Acillin.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've received almost no information on this. I've heard speculation. I think I'll investigate the scientific journals in the near future and research all prior information on Bio-Film research. If the data works for other infections, it may be applicable. The answer won't be obvious though, I suspect.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this -

Serrapeptase helps prevent bacteria from forming biofilms and thus establishing persistent infection.

Listeria monocytogenes is a notably invasive bacterium associated with life-threatening food-borne disease in humans. Several surface proteins have been shown to be essential in the adhesion of L. monocytogenes, and in the subsequent invasion of phagocytes.

Because the control of the invasion of host cells by Listeria could potentially hinder its spread in the infected host, we have examined the effects of a protease treatment on the ability of L. monocytogenes to form biofilms and to invade tissues.

We have chosen serratiopeptidase (SPEP), an extracellular metalloprotease produced by Serratia marcescens that is already widely used as an anti-inflammatory agent, and has been shown to modulate adhesin expression and to induce antibiotic sensitivity in other bacteria.

Treatment of L. monocytogenes with sublethal concentrations of SPEP reduced their ability to form biofilms and to invade host cells.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1847988...Pubmed_RVDocSum

Microbiological testing suggested that infection persisted in only one (5.6%) of eighteen animals in the serratiopeptidase-and-antibiotic group, whereas it was present in six (37.5%) of sixteen animals in the antibiotic-only group (p = 0.001). Histological evaluation showed similar results (kappa = 0.92).

CONCLUSIONS: Serratiopeptidase was effective for eradicating infection caused by biofilm-forming bacteria in this experimental animal model. The antibiofilm property of the enzyme may enhance antibiotic efficacy in the treatment of staphylococcal infections.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1675775...Pubmed_RVDocSum

Among the different mechanisms of bacterial resistance to antimicrobial agents that have been studied, biofilm formation is one of the most widespread.

This mechanism is frequently the cause of failure in the treatment of prosthetic device infections, and several attempts have been made to develop molecules and protocols that are able to inhibit biofilm-embedded bacteria.

We present data suggesting the possibility that proteolytic enzymes could significantly enhance the activities of antibiotics against biofilms.

Antibiotic susceptibility tests on both planktonic and sessile cultures, studies on the dynamics of colonization of 10 biofilm-forming isolates, and then bioluminescence and scanning electron microscopy under seven different experimental conditions showed that serratiopeptidase greatly enhances the activity of ofloxacin on sessile cultures and can inhibit biofilm formation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8109925...Pubmed_RVDocSum

----

Serrapeptase is part of the full Cowden protocol.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's something to mull over as far as scientific study and biofilm.

http://www.cogito.org/Articles/ArticleDetail.aspx?ContentID=15951

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if Olive Leaf Extract is a cyst buster?? I heard this somewhere.

The reason I ask is because I tried to take 1 last week and had the worst herx ever!

So bad I stopped taking it cause I couldn't function. I need to function these days cause I have sick kids too.

But if it is working then I hate to not take it.

Any ideas??

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swear OLE has some major action. It's made a significant difference energy-wise and tempature-wise twice now. Very amazing.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy C - try reducing the dosage.

I never tried it but I heard it's an anti-viral, too.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking serrapeptase for several years now [since before my Lyme diagnosis in fact], so can't really compare before and after and only use low dose.

I knew that it is supposed to 'eat' fibrin and therefore maybe the cyst wall of borrelia, but this is the first I've seen making specific mention of biofilms.

I eat Xylitol regularly which is linked to dental biofilm reduction [and is supposed to have an anti-candida action] and am considering getting grape seed extract, which I also read about linked to biofilm reduction,

Carry

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mupersan
Member # 19683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mupersan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dunno nothing about grape seed and biofilms but grapefruit seed extract works against cysts.

Check it out:
http://www.siv.no/webpro/dokument/564000_Citrosept.proof.pdf

Posts: 39 | From Denmark | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cecekoo
Member # 19572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cecekoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's GRAPEFRUIT seed extract and not Grape seed extract. People take grapefruit seed extract for cyst buster.
Posts: 14 | From OR | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

mupersan - thanks for that link on Grapefruit seed extract.

-

While not specifically relating to borrelia, there is significance to this abstract on allicin:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Allicin, biofilm - one - the search takes you right to this:

J Appl Microbiol. 2003;95(4):709-11.

In vitro activity of allicin against Staphylococcus epidermidis and influence of subinhibitory concentrations on biofilm formation.

P�rez-Giraldo C, Cruz-Villal�n G, S�nchez-Silos R, Mart�nez-Rubio R, Blanco MT, G�mez-Garc�a AC.

Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Extremadura, Badajoz, Spain.

AIMS:

The aim of this study is to determine the in vitro activity of allicin against Staphylococcus epidermidis and to evaluate the influence of allicin on biofilm formation.

METHODS AND RESULTS:

In vitro activity of allicin (diallyl thiosulphinate) against 38 strains of S. epidermidis was investigated.

The activity of allicin was similar against S. epidermidis methicillin susceptible and methicillin resistant strains [minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC)90=8 mg l(-1)].

In general, subinhibitory concentrations (sub-MIC) of allicin diminished biofilm formation in the five strains analysed.

CONCLUSION:

The results confirm the antibacterial effect of allicin. Sub-MICs of allicin also diminished the biofilm formations by S. epidermidis.

SIGNIFICANCE AND IMPACT OF THE STUDY:

The present study shows that allicin is active in vitro against S. epidermidis and that sub-MICs of allicin may play a role in the prevention of adherence of this bacteria to medical devices.

PMID: 12969283

===========

And here's a thought: Be sure that if the biofilm is degrading that you have all that you need to kill or mop up whatever comes out of that little bundle.

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Grapefruit seed extract is also helpful for candida...

It's strong so use with caution.

FunkOdyssey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FunkOdyssey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Olive Leaf Extract did the same thing to me too, very strong herx, as strong as any antibiotics I've used. It definitely does something major as seekhelp said, I'm not sure what though.

I absolutely could not tolerate even one 500mg 15% oleuropein capsule initially. I had to back down to a 250mg capsule once daily, then twice, then three times, then I was finally able to switch to the 500mg capsules. I'm currently using 500mg 15% oleuropein capsules 3x daily and tolerating that well.

Posts: 195 | From Manchester, CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoot
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the doc's office I work at they have a protocol using:

multipurpose enzyme and EDTA on an empty stomach
wait one hour or so

take your anti-biotic, anti-fungal or anti-whatever (with food or without depending on what you are taking)

later on an empty stomach take activated charcoal to mop up the mess

It seems to work for some. Major die-off tends to occur about two months into the program.

*this is not medical advice...I am just stating what I have learned from others*

Posts: 236 | From Illinois | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hoot -- it makes perfect sense, the edta is a biofilm buster then the enzymes to get rid of the rogue proteins from the dead bacteria. and the activated charcoal to move foriegn debris.

sounds like a very smart out of the box thinking doctor. I tip my hat off to him or her.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoot
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She really rocks!!! [bow]
Now only if we could clone her!
[woohoo]

Posts: 236 | From Illinois | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know lots of people use grapefruit seed extract for this, but the research I read was for grape seed extract, just can't remember where!
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

The first article I read about grape seed extract and biofilms was this dental one from Vitamin Research Products:
http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art2518&zTYPE=2

Carry

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement