LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My first sign of improvement ???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My first sign of improvement ???
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I have only been treating for 8 weeks now.

I couldn't believe it when I woke up this morning and realized that I had actually slept for 7 straight hours without waking up!!!

2 weeks ago I also had 2 nights where I slept for 6 hours straight.

I have not slept for 21 years, so this seemed like a miracle to me.

Normally I was lucky to get 1-5 hours of very broken sleep.

My insomnia was really bad the last couple years....couldn't get to sleep and if I finally did, I couldn't stay asleep.

The meds/supps I am taking that are for sleep right now are:

L-theanine 100 mg 3x/day
5-HTP 100 mg 3x/day
Gabapentin 300 mg at 8 pm
Sublingual Melatonin 7.5 mg around 10 pm

I also have been trying to dim the lights and get off the computer by 9:30 pm to let my mind rest and hopefully help melatonin production.....I'm a little late tonight though.

I am hoping that this is my first sign of improvement.

note: check with your LLMD for interactions between meds and supplements....for instance a person taking a SSRI or MAOI antidepressant should not take these supplements.

[ 04-07-2009, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Dekrator48 ]

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is wonderful news! I hope the good times continue! Did you take all the sleep meds individually to assess which one made a difference or just all at once?
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dek, FANTASTIC NEWS!! yippee..no PEE calls; that's my biggie, but it's way down compared to what it used to be.

dek, how about posting this in success stories in support; you know how much we discuss SLEEP ISSUES; that will show them in a short amount of time, they too can see progress? thanks!! [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Good for you! Looking forward to a whole night's sleep myself.

You deserve this. [Smile]

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will notice little things like this a little at a time as you continue treatment.
Posts: 458 | From Miss | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its the Gabapentin thats making you sleep.

How is your mood the next day?

Gabapentin is a early precursor to Lyrica which many of us have taken.

Despite the name Gabapentin has little effect on Gaba compared to a benzo

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you on abx?
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Seekhelp and lymeHerx001:

I was taking the Gabapentin for a month before I ever started lyme treatment and it had very little effect on my sleep.

I started the L-theanine and 5 Htp at the same time, 8 weeks ago, along with a lower dose sublingual melatonin (1-4 mg) still with no real noticable effect.

Then I obtained 2.5 mg sublingual melatonin tabs and per my LLMD instructions put 3 of them under my tongue at bedtime.

This is when I started to notice a difference. I am not getting a good nights sleep every night by far, but having those 3 nights of sleep has been a miracle to me so far.

My mood is fine, but always has been. I have never been depressed or anxious (except for common things like public speaking).

I am on antibiotics also: doxy, plaquenil and zithromax, and some other supplements too.

Thanks for your replies!

bettyg:

Thanks for being so excited for me! I did post this in success stories, per your request.

Leelee:

Thank you so much for your kind words!

Buster:

It's good to know that it's true...little improvements will happen and it's good news! Thanks!!!

--------------------

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

thats great that you are tollerating the abx fine.

How long have you been on them?

I must say that when I began treatment I started on ambien and my sleep improved so much that I thought I was cured.

It wasnt untill I started on Biaxin that all hell broke loose! You can search my name if you want.

Just a caveat for you , but since you dont have mood disorders this is a very good sign.

JaimieB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JaimieB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dek,

Thats awesome!!! I hope you can continue on this sleep filled path!

Posts: 171 | From the land of oz | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymeherx001:

I have been on the antibiotics for 8 weeks.

When I tried Ambien CR 1 year ago, before I knew I had lyme, I developed such a horrible headache that I thought I was dying.

It felt like a huge drill was drilling through the base of my skull and coming out my mouth.

I had that 24/7 for about 4 months. It was the only time I was confined to bed and couldn't function....just horrible.

Thanks for your reply!!

JaimieB:

Thanks for your reply and good wishes!!!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement