LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » bc/bs assigns me a "case manager"???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bc/bs assigns me a "case manager"???
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i got a letter from bc/bs saying they are assigning a "case manager" to me.

i called wasn't able to get in touch with her but her message was pretty clear about her trying to reduce the number of office visits and prescription costs. you could just tell by her voice that i was considered a "high risk" and she was out to "get me". (paranoid)

this is what the letter said pretty much:

Case Management
With our Case Management program, you never have to face extensive, long-term illnesses and injuries alone. Case Management is a voluntary program, provided at no additional cost to Blue Cross customers as part of their health care contract.

Benefits of Case Management
A registered nurse case manager to research, assess, coordinate and monitor health care needs and provide information about community resources
Specialty services for individual needs, such as complex medical conditions, burns, high-risk pregnancy, pediatrics, organ transplant, physical rehabilitation, psychiatric and substance abuse
Information about using benefits effectively

WTH does coordinate and monitor mean??? i have a feeling that they are getting ready to cancel my insurance. even tho i'm pretty sure they can't because i'm a federal retiree....at least i don't think they can.

she was sort of condescending...like i was abusing the system or something.

anybody know anything about this??

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by randibear:
Case Management is a voluntary program, provided at no additional cost to Blue Cross customers as part of their health care contract.

Since bc/bs is stating that this is a voluntary program, tell them that you are not interested in participating in that service. You don't need nor want a case manager.

They're just trying to cut costs and have someone from bc/bs ration the medical services you consume. They do this under the guise of "offering bc/bs customers the services of a medical professional/RN, free of charge," yada yada yada.

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Tell them you don't want one. It's voluntary. My guess is they can't force it on you.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi,

I am also a retired Federal Employee. Tell them to take a hike. It clearly states that it is a voluntary program...they just want to poke their nose where it doesn't belong and mascarade it as kindness.

Throw the letter out. Do you pay a portion of your health ins.? I have to pay like 89 dollars a month.

feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and I am fairly sure that you cannot be cancelled.
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EllieP50
Member # 15936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EllieP50     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a case manager assigned to me - I was worried at first - but she was quite nice, said that her job was to try to help me find services etc. and she did send me some info and found me some support groups etc. - didn't do anything particularly useful but didn't do anything problematic either. I got on the case manager list from what I can tell because I had a number of visits in a short time to the emergency room but she never made me feel like they were unjustified or anything. After things settled down for me they sent me a letter saying they didn't think I needed a case manager and that was the end of it. I still needed a fair amt of medical attention and they never gave me problems with any claims. I only wanted to tell you this so you don't get too nervous about it. I don't know if others had bad experiences with it, but I really don't think it means they are going to cancel your insurance or anything drastic. Good luck to you.
Ellie

Posts: 34 | From Saratoga Springs, NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Six and Fuzzy! Tell them politely that you are dealing with this without a problem and do not have a need for their services.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i pay over 100 bucks a month, well, about 150 i think.

i just panic when i get letters like this.

mike never goes to the doctor and he didn't get one.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I forgot to say this...... I suppose it really goes without saying... but...

It is a huge conflict of interest for a bc/bs "case manager" to try and manage a customer's care. Since the entire motive is to cut costs for the insurance company and limit the amount of medical services the customer is consuming -- they're not going to be advocating for you in the health arena by doing this.

They will not have your bests interests at heart. They will have their employer's best interest at heart, i.e., bc/bs.

And anyway, the chances are extremely high that you know more about your illness then any case manager they might try to assign to you.

Bc/bs has canvassed customers in other regions with letters like this. Patients who don't understand the letter or intent, think they are required to use the service. That is not so. It is, as they say, voluntary.

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

no worries Randi. It is more for them than it is for you. They are trying to cut some costs.
viva
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for viva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband got a letter like this when he got a cancer diagnosis. We just ignored it, and I don't believe anyone ever contacted us, although we had the option of initiating contact. It didn't seem to affect his coverage.

So I wouldn't go out of my way to initiate contact with the case manager...and I agree with the advice to politely decline any services offered.

Viva

Posts: 532 | From southeast US | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

yeah, i just finished researching this. bc/bs in new mexico had a suit filed against them because of the things the case manager did.

i think this is just the beginning to interfere with us getting treatment. pretty soon they will decide who' ill enough to see a doctor and what tests you can have done.

geez, i wish there were some magic pill to make this all go away....

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trust your instincts here.

My advise is RUN, don't walk to the nearest exit.

Think about it... they didn't hire case managers to help YOU.

I've seen the most wicked of the wicked.... and can't believe how they have lied, how stupid they were and how they could manage to destroy someone's life with no care at all on their part.

There MAY be a good one out there somewhere...

But NOT if you have Lyme and TBD's and NOT in a world where there are SO many IDIOTS trying to prevent you from getting treatment.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellyjk4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyjk4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have BCBS insurance and rec'd a ltr like this once before.

I was having a lot of MRI's and x-rays, then ended up having major back surgery, so I knew exactly why they wanted to "manage" me.

The nurse called me a couple of times, but I never even called her back (rude, I know, but oh well).

Finally, I called BCBS and told them that I wasn't interested. They said okay and that was it.

Nothing else ever came of it.

My advice: don't worry about it. You need your energy to concentrate on getting better.

take care -kelly

--------------------
Take care -kelly
---------------

Posts: 330 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband got a letter like this too after his heart attack and emergency angioplasty in September 2007.

He never responded and so BC/BS started calling our house about once a week looking for him. They just wouldn't give up. Then they asked for his work or cell phone number and asked when the best time to reach him was.

Eventually they tracked him down at home. I advised him not to talk to them because, really, they aren't his doctor and I am suspicious of insurance companies. But, he spoke to them and they still call periodically. I wish he would quit talking to them.

They ask him tons of questions and I can't help but feel they are using this as ammunition to cancel our policy at some point.

He's been hospitalized three more times since the heart attack and they keep calling and he keeps talking. It's not a good thing.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a case mananger once..I was one of the good ones, I tried to help my patients navigate thru the maze of healthcare, and get to the right doctor and streamline treatment.

We did try to cut costs, by streamlining care, and managing small issues before they becam emergency issues.

However, that said, there are a lot out there, who just want to cut costs,

If you feel you can manage the system fine by yourself, politely decline their offer.

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
after my gastric bypass bc/bs decided i needed a case manager

actually a really nice lady. she told me i'm entitled through my insurance to things like 6 free (no copay) visits to a nutritionist of my choice and reimbursement to gyms, free bicycle helmet, etc, which i did not know about

other than finding out the above, it was pretty pointless and useless. alot of questions about my recovery, etc... i was also supposed to fill out and sign something that they sent me concerning the case manager - which i did not do

she has only called twice. last conversation she said it would be about 6 mo or so before she'll call again

i would be nervous if bc/bs had given me a case manager for any other reason tbh. i don't trust insurance companies at all

bc/bs is always sending me surveys to fill out to better help them manage my health - never fill them out. too worried about them using it against me somehow/somewhere down the line

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tcw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tcw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a case manager now for my son, and she has actually been quite helpful. That being said, I do not have the BC/BS plan that you have, I may even have the same plan as EllieP50.

She has helped me navigate through the mountains of paperwork for in-network, out of network, ER trips, inpatient hospital admissions, etc. She actually has gone so far as to (indirectly - wink, wink, nudge, nudge) suggest when to file claims and not to based on whether they will show up as a "red flag" in their account systems.

Posts: 263 | From Capital Region, NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement