LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Partial Onset Seizures

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Partial Onset Seizures
Elizabeth Erin
Member # 13866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elizabeth Erin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was DX w/ Partial seizures last year, my neuro thinks it's from the Lyme.

I don't feel these so called seizures....

Any thoughts?? [Big Grin]

Posts: 85 | From Staten Island, NY | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

A seizure can be ANY neurological function going a bit awry - or beyond. Actually, for a neurologist to be aware of this is a very good thing. Most are not. Certainly, none whom I've seen.

A seizure disorder is not always the same as epilepsy. Seizures can be caused by toxins (and there's part of the lyme connection), and many other factors. When those factors are fixed, often, the seizures become a thing of the past.

I've been dealing with seizures of various kinds for years. Most likely, they are related to lyme that went untreated for so long and now I have to pretty much figure out how to treat on my own -- but my inner ear also play a part.

Can you describe these events - what happens?

Are there triggers?

How do you feel the next day?

----------

Have you been tested for heavy metals?

Do you consume ANY - even a trace - of aspartame/Equal/Nutrasweet - even in gum, mints, etc.?

And MSG (google for all the names it can hide under)?

Do you eat regular meals and an afternoon snack of nuts or a fruit?

Is your blood glucose level within normal range?

-

When you reply, it will be helpful if you can make paragraphs just 3-4 line, finished and then double the white space breaks between. You'll get more answers that way. Thanks.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth Erin
Member # 13866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elizabeth Erin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't realize I am having them. I have had 2 abnormal EEG's.

I cannot seperate the two (Lyme/Seizures)

I stay away from Nutra sweet.

Sometimes very low blood sugar....

Sometimes high....

I have tingling on tongue & face.

I do have a load of buldging disc problems in neck.

Very scared....maybe it's all anxiety....

I know I have Lyme

I tested pos for Bart, mycoplasma from LABCORP!!!

Posts: 85 | From Staten Island, NY | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth Erin
Member # 13866

I think this Neuro is done with me though.

I cannot tolerate the seizure meds.

sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think many of us here have partial seizures.

I know many of us, me included smell things that are not there which is a symptom. Others may hear something that is not there. There are many symptoms that can manifest that can be considered a partial seizure.

You should look up "symptoms of partial seizures" and see if you recognize any of the symptoms. Since Lyme is neurological it makes sense that we would have this.

You do not lose conciensness(sp) with partial seizures.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth Erin
Member # 13866

Never passed out, thank goodness.

The only thing that makes any kind os sence is flashes of white light.

Elizabeth Erin
Member # 13866

who can do testing for metal toxins?
Elizabeth Erin
Member # 13866

who can do testing for metal toxins?
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

[edited to add: I see that you have posted in "Seeking a Doctor" so that answers some of the questions asked below. And, if your neuro thinks this is from lyme, would he help or does he think it's a short term treatment?]

==========

Metals - Doctor's Data Lab is one. You can google them. A challenge test with one DMSA pill might be the way to start.

I do fine with DMSA. Keep in mind that EDTA causes me to have more seizures.

--

You said: "I cannot tolerate the seizure meds." --

I cannot either. There are other ways to work with this. I think there are two basic things going on that some lyme patients simply get worse with seizure meds.

1. The seizures are caused from toxic infections and

2. the liver is overloads with that and then adding seizure meds which are usually very hard on the liver adds to the load, even increasing seizures.

This is just my take and from some that I've read. Some lyme patients do okay with low dose klonipin but that just makes me more dizzy and weaker.

Most important: are you being treated for the lyme, bart and mycoplasma? AND are you taking magnesium supplements and B-6? Those are excellent help.

I'll post some links/articles from my file and will check back tomorrow. Many here have gone through this. Treatment for infections is the best thing to address.

Low blood sugar is best avoided as that can trigger seizures and a load of buldging disc problems in neck can also contribute.

Can you consult a D.O. who practices the Upledger cranial-sacral therapy and see if that would be safe for your neck? that is a very gentle approach.

Be sure NOT to take steroids as that can make infections worse.

Well, I'll post a few things and check back. Remember, this can get better. Be sure to let us know if you are being treated for the infections as that matters in how we respond further.

Take care, now.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

http://tinyurl.com/5aegv5

Altern Med Rev. 2007 Mar;12(1):9-24. Links

Natural approaches to epilepsy.

Gaby AR.

. . . This article reviews research on the use of diet, nutritional supplements, and hormones in the treatment of epilepsy. . . .

=================

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=Seizures

Search results for Seizures: !4 articles

Among those, one of the most important articles to read:

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art1066&zTYPE=2

Seizures: A Nutritional Approach

Seizures can be attributed to a number of causes including metabolic abnormalities, infections, nutritional deficiencies, or trauma. . . .

-------

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art1734&zTYPE=2

Vinpocetine: Cognitive Enhancer's Role Expands to Incontinence and Epilepsy

--------

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art2168&zTYPE=2

The Liver: Detoxifying This Vital Organ Nourishes Overall Health and Vitality

===============

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Hypomagnesemia, seizures - 90 abstracts

Magnesium, seizures - 723 abstracts

--

Calcium, seizures - 1782 abstracts

Fish oil, seizures - 14 abstracts

===========

ARNICA - BOIRON homeopathic - I take this right after a seizure and it reduces brain swelling.

-

Elizabeth Erin
Member # 13866

How much B6 should I take? How much magnesium?

I am currently on 200 mg a day of Doxy.

I had a PICC line for 28 days of Rocephin, I didn't see a difference. I feel like my body cannot handle these meds....

I take .50 ox Xanax daily to helpme cope, is that too much??

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are many different causes for seizures: infections, low glucose, low SODIUM...are just a few.

You could try sublingual B6 = P5P (read up on vitamin B6). Source Naturals makes it. You can buy it over the internet.

B6 works WITH Mg.

Bb cannot MAKE B6, from what I've read. It relies on us...

To learn what vitamin B6 = P5P does for us:

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/vitaminB6.php

The B vitamins are water soluable. They don't stay in our system long...about 2 hours. We do store a little though.

Personally, I would apply a 50% dilution of Mg Chloride on my skin a couple of times daily and I would take the sublingual B6 then too.

Mg chloride can be purchased over the internet. It isn't cheap.

Our stomach acids are so strong, they destroy the B supplements we swallow.

Which is why the sublingual form is so important. It works immediately.

Sub B6 stopped a seizure my son was about to have (he knows the warning signs). He does not have lyme, but his doc. said he cannot hold onto Na (perhaps a genetic problem re: adrenals).

To compensate, his aldosterone level is very high (helps control Na too) and his testosterone level (which is protective in many respects).

Our bodies try to figure out back-ups to help us!

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie how would this apply to someone who already has high,not elevated blood Chloride? Sodium norm. even after tablespoon of salt in OJ for a poison pull to the bowels every day= sodium still norm? Would the sub lingual B6 still be a benefit?

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lover11
Member # 19686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lover11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ 11-19-2021, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Lover11 ]

Posts: 48 | From San Francisco, CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the article on the nutritional approach to handling seizures to be exceptionally helpful!!! I was already taking many of the suppliments listed for various reasons--many of them Lyme related. So, this doubly made sense to me, as my seizures are so infrequent and seem to be precipitated most commonly by treatments--drugs or even herbs.

My LLMD says I have temporal lobe seizures. I've also had the full-on type, including extended unconsciousness following! And, hospitalization. UGH!!!

At any rate, when I feel the precursor to a seizure now, I take 100 mg of B 6 right away, and it cools off very fast!

Personally, I wouldn't take psychotropic meds like Xanax, as they have terrible adverse effect profiles and can be physiologically addicting, meaning that you can't get off them once you start without horrific adverse effects.

B Complex and B 1 would provide the mental stability without these problems.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Cass,

thanks so much for the B-6 advice.

I have to go to the dentist on Wed. and this may help. Any office setting has so many potential seizure triggers (lights, sound, movement) but the dentist's office is about double from all the sharp and sudden noise - and all that metal being tossed about.

I just hope to get out of there without brain injury. It's always a gamble. I can't take anything too relaxing as then I can't stand up or maintain bladder control.

B-6 may - in advance - may be the ticket to success.

-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement