LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My 3 year old

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My 3 year old
JaimieB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JaimieB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I knew how to post pics so you all could see what I am talking about. My 3 year old was bit twice this weekend by ticks. My ex failed to tell me he pulled them off.

So, last night the bite on his spine was full of puss, swollen and causing him pain. I know he must have scratched it to cause it to reopen. His other one is still open too. I am SOOOO SCARED! I am keeping an eye on him and that.

I was already saving the money to get him and my 6 year old tested for lyme but now that he has been bit.....any suggestions? He is not having any of the accute ld symptoms. Should I go ahead and take him to a doc?

I am not blaming this on my ex but darn, he has them one weekend and one comes back with a face swollen with poision iv and the other with two tick bites!! Did he even tell me about them until I notcied them? HEC NO!

Posts: 171 | From the land of oz | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry Jaimie! Take him to a Dr for sure and hopefully they will get him an antibiotics right away! That is the best way to tackle lyme disease, at the beginning! Good luck and let us know what happens!

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaimieB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JaimieB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should I wait until I notice flu like symptoms before I take him to get on abx? I dont think his doc will put him on it because I want him to be on them.
Posts: 171 | From the land of oz | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say don't wait. I would request a course and if then after he is done if he does not seem right get him tested.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the bite is oozing pus, then it may be infected.

Take him to the doctor.

I don't ever remember having a "really bad flu"

From which I never really recovered.

Little people may not be able to articulate/communicate

Exactly how they are feeling.

If anything, let the doc examine the bite for infection

Then talk him into treatment to address that and possible Lyme.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonee123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonee123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes please do take him to the doctor. You know how sick this disease is.....just kill it before it gets him sick.

--------------------
May God Bless you, answer your prayers, relieve you of your pain and make you stronger than what you are today. Ameen.

Posts: 341 | From Columbia, MD | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES, go to dr. NOW! every day counts; so sorry to read this; best wishes. [group hug] [kiss]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To the doc now.

Hope you all are doing better soon.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosebuds mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosebuds mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry to hear about your son.

Take him right away. Insist on meds now.

Be brave.

I wasn't and God do I regret it!!!

I had taken my daughter to our Ped. initially

and believed him when he said that there was no

way that she could have Lyme given that she had

no symptoms yet. A year later she couldn't walk

or talk (along with over 15 other symtoms). Who

knows what else could have happened. Do what

ever you can to get your child treatment as soon

as possible. If your Dr. chooses not to give

you meds- find someone who will. Check in with

everyone here after. There is help here.

I am sorry if this sounds scary but I just

wished that someone had said these words to me

two years ago when our nightmare began.

I hope everything works out.

Hugs and...

Bravery

Posts: 118 | From Here | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaimieB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19076

Thank you everyone. I knew that was the answer but I needed my friends to confirm that I wasnt a paranoid nut job.

So, I called the doc to get BOTH the boys in there and BOTH tested. I thought it was a done deal but they called me back and didnt believe that neither of them needed to be tested.

I then got rowdy and told them that I am the mother and I WANT them tested! I refuse to have them suffer like I have. We have an appointment in 5 days. I told the nurse to have the doctor personally call me. He was my pedi when I was a kid so I have known him for years.

You all are right. Hec, I didnt have a rash nor any other symptoms until it attacked me out of the blue one day. My BABIES will not go through this! I will make sure of it. Also, its really unknown how long this crap has laid dormant and I fear it could have been passed along through birth.

Sorry, I am so mad once again! I have realized this nightmare is not going to end anytime soon. I am so blessed to have you all here!

rosebuds mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosebuds mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go Mom!!!!

All of your feelings are completely appropriate.

Keep us posted.

Posts: 118 | From Here | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that antibodies will probably not show up for

At least 6 weeks after the bite.

So, see if the doc will treat without testing initially.

Then you can test.

Please keep us posted.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just want to make clear, as someone else just did, that a test right now will not show anything.

Maybe buy a copy of the "Everything You Need to Know about Lyme Disease" book and take with you to the MD. Or call a Lyme doctor's office, which you can find on the find a doctor thread.

In that situation, we were able to see the nurse at a Lyme doctor's office, to get on antibiotics, then saw the MD later. We paid cash until we got into a Lyme-literate MD later who was covered by insurance.

The thing is, even if you succeed in getting antibiotics, it may be too low a dose for too short a time. Then, the initial illness will be suppressed, but the Lyme can resurface later in a more chronic form.

I don't mean to scare you. It's just that some of us have already been treated inadequately, or not at all, and want to save you and your kids from trouble.

Did you save the ticks? You can have the ticks themselves tested. I also have found that bringing the tick in to the doctor sometimes gets more results in terms of an Rx.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement