LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » long term Doxy monotherapy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: long term Doxy monotherapy?
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if you know anybody who has tried it and what were the results? Could it be that something as boring as doxy monotherapy could work as well as the latest combos of the 'big guns' such as Rifampin/Levaquin/Mepron/Flagyl?

The thing is doxy is bacteriostatic - it messes with the borrelia surface protein without causing them to go into cysts. If taken long enough I would think we could bring the borrelia population to a minimum and the other coinfections wold be a lot easier to take care of through whatever means.

Here's an article I read on doxy:
http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/7207.html

quote:
LONG-TERM DOXYCYCLINE FOR LYME DISEASE
Report #7207

Lyme disease can cause horrible muscle and joint pain, severe brain damage, severe nerve damage manifested by loss of feeling in an arm or leg or horrible pain anywhere in the body. Most medical authors recommend treating Lyme disease with 30 days of intravenous Rocephin.

The patient goes to a surgeon who inserts a plastic tube in the veins of his arm. Then the antibiotic is pumped into his veins daily for 30 days at a cost of around 6 or 7 thousand dollars. For the last 5 years I have treated my Lyme disease patients who have muscle and joint pain and fatigue with doxycycline for many months. (However, people who have nerve damage caused by Lyme disease must be treated with intravenous antibiotics). I have been criticized by many of my colleagues for keeping my patients on doxycycline for such a long time. One neurology professor at Johns Hopkins told one of my patients that there was no evidence to treat Lyme disease long term with antibiotics. I have seen many patients who continued to have joint and muscle pain after a month of intravenous antibiotic treatment and they have cleared up completely after taking doxycycline for up to a year. Now I feel vindicated. The literature now shows that long term antibiotics is the only way to cure some patients with Lyme disease and that the $7000 intravenous treatment can fail to cure Lyme disease and that long term doxycycline pills can cure patients with Lyme disease, even after intravenous antibiotics have failed to do so.

By Gabe Mirkin, M.D., for CBS Radio News

ABSTRACT: Two hundred seventy-seven patients with chronic Lyme disease were treated with tetracycline for 1 to 11 months (mean, 4 months); the outcomes for these patients were generally good. Overall, 20% of the patients were cured; 70% of the patients' conditions improved, and treatment failed for 10% of the patients. Improvement frequently did not take place for several weeks; after 2 months of treatment, 33% of the patients' conditions were significantly improved (degree of improvement, 75%-100%), and after 3 months of treatment, 61% of the patients' conditions were significantly improved. Treatment outcomes for seronegative patients (20% of all patients) were similar to those for seropositive patients. Western immunoblotting showed reactions to one or more Borrelia burgdorferi-specific proteins for 65% of the patients for whom enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays were negative. Whereas age, sex, and prior erythema migrans were not correlated with better or worse treatment outcomes, a history of longer duration of symptoms or antibiotic treatment was associated with longer treatment times to achieve improvement and cure. These results support the use of longer courses of treatment in the management of patients with chronic Lyme disease. Controlled trials need to be conducted to validate these observations. See report #G138.

ST Donta. Tetracycline therapy for chronic Lyme disease. Clinical Infectious Diseases 25: Suppl. 1 (JUL 1997):S52-S56. Address ST Donta, Boston Univ, Med Ctr, 88 E Newton St, Evans 6TH Floor, Boston, MA 02118 USA

Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man....I did well on doxy.

Too much sun exposure down here to do it long term.

I'd be fried for sure.

My LLMD only usually Rx's doxy during our "winter months".

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileygirl
Member # 19658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on just Doxy for 2 1/2 months (200mg bid). I felt so good, I went off. I relapsed 3 months later. Maybe I should have stuck it out a couple of more months. Who knows.
Posts: 77 | From MD | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My long-term Doxy treatment lasted 11 days. My LLMD pulled me off today and said not to go back on it again. I was getting too much head pressure.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My long-term Doxy treatment lasted 11 days. My LLMD pulled me off today and said not to go back on it again. I was getting too much head pressure.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a couple people who do this as maintenance abx and they are fine and live quality lives. But I think they did intensive treatment before.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on 100mg of doxy twice a day for the 1st month (per IDSA as Rxed by my PCP) before I saw my LLMD & started Ceftin.
A few months later, the LLMD put me back on doxy at 200 mg twice a day, but though I did "herx" some to start, I really didn't make much progress over the next ~2 months. In retropect, I think the bugs in Me had developed a resistance to doxy.

It wasn't until I switched to a penicillun-family antibiotic, along with an "intracellular" added later, that I Really started to make some more Major improvements!

In other words- doxycycline's great for early Lyme, & a good starter for late-stage Lyme but you can't fully recover on it. You need to treat the other forms of B.B.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did treated Bart with Cipro for 2 months and them lyme with amox for 4 months then went onto to doxy 400mg.

I did really well initially and felt I was on my way and after 4 months the deep brain fog and chronic fatigue crept back in.

I ended up on it for 8 months relapsing further as I went, but that was because it was all I could get whilst waiting for an appointment with Dr H.

For me doxy defo hits something but I relapsed very clearly whilst on it. I think it might be an okay treatment if you only have lyme.

Now if I took it I would be climbing the walls. Drives me mad. Doxy and rifampin had me locked away in my room for a week.

--------------------
Pos BB and Bart(Q & H IGG pos)
Began treat 1 year after start of illness. Diagnosed Feb 2007.

Posts: 648 | From Ireland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement