LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Alinia Group (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Alinia Group
Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael_Venice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi.

It seems like a number of us (particularly on the West Coast) are starting up on Alinia. I've been on it for about 5 weeks myself.

I was thinking that maybe we could post our experiences with it, especially because it's kind of a new thing for many.

-Michael

Posts: 322 | From Venice, CA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried it as well for a few months.

I doubt it is the end all "cure" for TBD's.

My "LLMD in TRAINING" thinks it is all that's needed.

He told me, "he and a couple of his colleages, have had phenominal successes using this drug on their lyme patients".

However, of course, he is not forthcomming, in, patients names, histories, etc...

So, I tried it and from personal experiences, it isn't quite what he and his colleagues suggest.

Namely a cure-all!

Not, for me, at the least.

Perhaps, we'll find out what, if anything, this particular drug helps,

in the vast array of TBD's. But from my standpoint, whatever it is that I have,

(strain or strains of Bb or Babs or Bart or Ehrlichiosis or whatever)for that matter.

I did'nt find it's use either helpful or harmful.

In other words,

I did'nt get any appreciable reaction when I took this medication.

Don't let my experience stop anyone from trying this medication!

Who knows, it may have worked on, South Eastern TBD's, and not,

(wherever I contracted it-N.E. Ohio or N. Western Pennsylvania)

particularly efficatious against, North Eastern/Mid Western strains of TBD's.

Unfortunately, West Coastal strains may be even more mutated,

or mix and matched, due to their travels accross our nation.

We'll never know what or why or who, until we are alloted,

"Mucho-"buck-o's",

for research!

Which of course hindges on the new guidelines

and or the bills we have in the legislative system of snail paced action!

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

"I didn't get any appreciable reaction when I took this medication." My experience also as well as above poster.

Mind you, I was only on it for about 7 weeks, but I guess long enough that my LLND thought it wasn't helping so took me off of it, as I saw no change. Just my experience.

Sure hope it's helpful for you and others. I think I have one of the "mutated/mixed/matched" infections as the poster above mentioned. I definitely contracted Lyme and company on the West Coast, WA State to be specific. Good luck Michael. TS

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will test for this at my doc's office today. I've treated bart, lyme, and babs, and the load of all three has gone down appreciably, so it will be interesting if this tests for me.
Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am about to start taking it after I receive it in the mail. Adding it to my daily Zithromax and BLT, Enula and Artemisia.

What combos are you all on?

Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am supposed to start it with Biaxin. However I developed tinnitus on Zithromax, so that puts me at risk for hearing problems with Biaxin. Seeing my LLMD soon. I may just go ahead and try the Biaxin and Alinia to see what I can tolerate.

It will be my first combo for Babesia Duncani. I'm very sensitive to medications (and had liver damage from Ketek) so we are easing me into Babs treatment rather than pounding me with Mepron yet.

Two of my Lyme friends developed very bad GI problems (as in the D-word, living in the bathroom) while on Alinia so that does worry me.

In the meantime, I'm ramping up on Crypto-Plus, then will add Enula and Mora, then Noni and BLT. Artemisinin may be too hard on the liver for me.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either the Enula or BLT is doing something to me. I feel a little funky after taking them. Started Artemisia 400mg 3x daily about 4 days ago and feel slightly sharper cognitively, but nothing other than that. I was not aware that Art was hard on the liver.
Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myco,

I was told by the naturopath that BLT is potent - that's why they are holding off for now on it for me because I am so sensitive. Maybe that's what you are feeling.

Yes, Artemisia/Artemisinin is hard on the liver -need to have liver enzymes monitored.

Jill

--------------------

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jill E.:

I was told by the naturopath that BLT is potent - that's why they are holding off for now on it for me because I am so sensitive. Maybe that's what you are feeling.

What's BLT
Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael_Venice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I thought I'd add my experience at 5 weeks.

I was told to take 1/2 a pill 3x a day. This proved to be too much. By the 5th day, I was feeling really bad. I backed off a bit.

Most of the time, when I take a dose, my legs hurt pretty bad about an hour and a half later. Leg pain has been an issue all along, but it seems to exacerbate it. I react or possibly 'herx' fairly quickly.

When I tried to work up to full doses, I got damn sick. Very weak, shaky, etc. That 'bottoming-out" that I've described in other posts. I was VERY sick 2 days. Went to the ER one night. I've backed off the dose since.

I have had more muscle twitching since I started it. I've had a few really nasty headaches, which I really didn't have as a symptom.

On the plus side--and it's early, and I'm superstitious about saying much because it changes or regresses so much--anyway.

Significantly less night sweats. I used to wake up drenched nearly every night. It is less now, in frequency and how much. When I do fall asleep, which is still sometimes a struggle, I tend to sleep more soundly.

My heart palps have been less. it used to pound sometimes for hours and hours. Not necessarily fast, but pounding.

My appetite is better. It does hurt my stomach some, but when I took Ceftin and even Rocephin, I could not eat. Or couldn't keep food down. Take your pick.

I'm still struggling a lot with dizziness, feeling like I'm gonna pass out, tremors and weakness.

I'm also using CAT cream, which has teasel, cryptolepsis and artemisin. According to my doctor, it's a pretty strong formula.

I also take lots of supplements for support and detox.

I am not on abx right now. Trying to hit the babs and detox.

So..that's where I'm at.

BTW, I also have seen somewhat unsubstantiated things online about some doctors seeing a lot of progress in lyme patients with this stuff. I wish I knew more. Allegedly, it's a lyme cyst-buster as well.

Posts: 322 | From Venice, CA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: Energetically tested very poorly for this.
Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Michael,

I will have to go slowly given that I can't tolerate anywhere close to regular doses of most medications, this sounds brutal, and it's my first Babs drug and first Lyme cyst-buster. I have a feeling my dizziness and muscle twitching could really get bad like it did on Rifampin (even though that's for Bart). Thanks for the warning.

Are you combining it with Biaxin? That's what I'm supposed to do.

Jill

--------------------

Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

No Biaxin yet, Jill. We'll see.

I never took many meds in my life before this, but I did SOMETIMES. (abx, other stuff when necessary)*

*(including, unfortunately, prednisone for months as I had my first lyme symptoms).

Anyway, I never thought I'd be scared of antibiotics. I am now, though. I understand your trepidation, especially considering your past experiences.

Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

I am taking alinia with Zithromax. Haven't received it yet though.

Right now am just on BLT, Enula, daily Zithromax and Zhang Artemesia, all at full dosage. Some minor nausea and bowel seems to be moving slowly with very soft bowel movements.

chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chootik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tool Alinia as well for about 2 months and didn't notice too much on it.

I did however end up loosing 15 or 20 pounds on it and the Doc wasn't sure why that happened. He said he has seen it in other patients as well.

I'm trying to gain the weight back but am on Yeast Diet so it's not very easy.

Just wanted you guys to know to watch out for weight loss.

Chootik

Posts: 247 | From Ca | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yanivnaced:
quote:

What's BLT
My best guess is Bacon Lettuce Tomato. [Wink]
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

BLT is a proprietary herbal formula in his line of Clinical Response Formulas (brand name of his herbal formulas) from the naturopath I sometimes see, who also works part-time with my main LLMD. I don't have the bottle yet, was told what the ingredients were at one time - can't remember, but I think some of the Buhner herbs or similar. If it were bacon, lettuce and tomato, I wouldn't get my usual spacey, tired herx!

Oh wait, I found a previous threat about BLT and here is what Viva posted:

Clinical Response Formulas

Ingredients: red root, teasel, boneset, black walnut hulls, lomatium dissectum, smilax, stillengia sylvatica.

It is formulated by a naturopath, and is supposed to target both bart and lyme.

There is a website (clinicalresponseformulas.com), but the product must be ordered by phone.

Thanks to Viva for posting the ingredients.

Jill

--------------------

chris_s
Member # 19888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chris_s     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael_Venice:

Significantly less night sweats. I used to wake up drenched nearly every night. It is less now, in frequency and how much. When I do fall asleep, which is still sometimes a struggle, I tend to sleep more soundly.

I have been on Alinia at the full dose for two months and my night sweats are GONE - I had a hard time telling anyone because I didn't want to jinx it.. lol. But they have been completely gone for approx. 3 weeks now. In my case this constitutes a minor miracle. Also my dreams have been alot less 'vivid' - which is awesome.

Yes they have been hard on the GI tract, and thank goodness for insurance cause they are bleeping expensive!

Posts: 26 | From Napa, Ca | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Chris,

This is encouraging news! Way to go!

Are you taking it alone or is it combined with another medication? I'm trying to figure out something other than Zithromax or Biaxin to mix it with and ask my Lyme doctor about.

Jill

--------------------

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the stuff much cheaper through an overseas pharmacy (haven't ordered it yet): pharmacychecker.com turns up different pricing if you search for Alinia versus it's generic name- do search for both. I seem to recall that it was cheaper if you searched for Alinia, oddly. Some kind of glitch.

I feel like crap on it, I think it's a herx of some kind. However, my air hunger is better. unfortunately I can't tell if it's from alinia or from these Chinese herbs I just started around the same time.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Chris,

I also would be curious what combo you are on.

I am on BLT, Enula, Zhang's Artemisia and will be adding Alinia as soon as it arrives.

Beginning to feel like crap on the Zhangs Artemisia. Cold all the time and nauseous.

chris_s
Member # 19888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chris_s     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Chris,

This is encouraging news! Way to go!

Are you taking it alone or is it combined with another medication? I'm trying to figure out something other than Zithromax or Biaxin to mix it with and ask my Lyme doctor about.

Jill

HI, my list is kind of heavy at the moment (within the last 3 weeks it got this way, was much smaller for previous 4-5 months):

Alinia - 3x day
Omnicef - 3x day
Trental - 3x day
Azithromycin - 1x day (500mg)
Cholestyramine - 3x day
Gabitril - 1x day (at night)
(will be adding malarone soon)

Chromium picolinate - 1x day
Probiotics - 3x day
Chlorella - 1x day (30 tabs evening)
Myco - 2x day (herbal complex)
DFS formula - 1x day (mostly vitamin supplement)

hth

Posts: 26 | From Napa, Ca | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took alinia for 2 years. My doc used it as a cyst buster in place of flagyl. I found it relatively easy to take. (If you put alinia into the search function on this site, you will see some discussions from 2 years ago.)

It did not cure me--not sure it did anything one way or the other. It does turn all your bodily fluids a radioactive yellow---goes away w/i 3 days of stopping alinia.

Other than that, i did not notice any especially bothersome side effects.

Good luck

Posts: 213 | From ohio | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
made me herx, had to stop
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mandy614
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mandy614     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just recieved Alinia in the mail so I will be adding alinia 2 x day to my current protocol of biaxin, mepron, bicillin, bactrim, plaquenil.

I'll report after I have taken it a few days! I'm avoiding for the weekend, it as I know some have had bad reactions on it.

Does anyone have any opinion if it is safe with everything else I'm on?

Mandy

Posts: 348 | From maryland | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

I'm starting today.

In terms of the yellow bodily fluids, I read on the Alinia website it can turn the eyes a pale yellow.

This worries me because yellow eyes can indicate jaundice and I had liver damage from Ketek.

Did anyone get yellow eyes?

Jill

--------------------

Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

Jill,

My eyes haven't gotten yellow. Body fluids, yes.

Maybe you should have your liver enzymes checked as a regular thing if your liver is weakened....

Good luck, please keep us posted.

Jill E.
Member # 9121

I always have my liver checked on a very frequent basis, thanks to my experience with Ketek.

Jill

--------------------

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey, those of you who are mail-ordering it , could you list the pharmacy you're using or at least the pricing you're finding?

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
electrolite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for electrolite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only took Alinia for two weeks about 1.5 years ago. It's VERY expensive, especially when you don't have insurance!

I didn't really herx on it, other than having more fevers and hot extremities.

It seemed to help for a short while, but that didn't last long.

A naturopath I saw said that it really doesn't work for Lyme; it was designed to kill amoeba.

He said its creator is promoting it as a cure-all for Lyme at all of the Lyme doctors' conferences, but it wasn't designed for that.

--------------------
I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease in August 2007, but I now feel it was a misdiagnosis. I was finally properly diagnosed with Chemical Sensitivity in February 2011. My life has changed drastically since then.

Posts: 128 | From Dallas, Texas | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by electrolite:
A naturopath I saw said that it really doesn't work for Lyme; it was designed to kill amoeba.

He said its creator is promoting it as a cure-all for Lyme at all of the Lyme doctors' conferences, but it wasn't designed for that.

Great. So if Alinia doesn't treat Lyme, then why are LLMDs having patients spend over $1000/month on this medication?

And why are these patients not very angry that this expensive med does nothing?

Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

Erica,

I certainly am no where near better, but....

We've all read through posts here where X thing has worked for someone, and Y hasn't. Those of us who are desperate are often searching SO HARD for WHAT helped someone with our symptoms, duration of illness etc.

And it seems like there is nothing that consistently works for everyone. Some people take 5 different antibiotics/combos....and say it's the only way to get better. And I read that with despair, because I can barely handle one.

I've been misdiagnosed (as so many), blown off, etc...by many doctors. I don't trust anyone anymore, and it makes it hard to trust now. Really hard. I still don't know what I believe about lyme, babesia....these things I'm fighting.

The LLMD who first diagnosed me said he had NEVER seen anyone get sick for more than a few days on antibiotics, only that they get sicker and then are better. When I told him how sick I was on Ceftin, he said he thought I was being dramatic. Now, this is the doctor that diagnosed me, finally. And I'd already come here, and KNEW that other people got too sick on some drugs, or had to start slow, etc.

But still, it was confusing to me. I changed LLMD's because I needed someone who has experience with tougher cases.

I'm getting off track, though. I suspect that a doctor must sincerely believe or have experience that it helps some people. Maybe it will, maybe not. I also think it's primarily for babesia, with some doctors believing that it's a cyst-buster as well.

The whole thing sucks. It seems like a lot of us are in constant states of confusion, frustration and not understanding. Which infections we have, what treatments, how sick we are getting ,etc. And a really scary thing is that we have to try all of this poison, FEEL poisoned for longer than seems sane....to see if something is helping.

I'm not trying to knock the naturopath--I see one as well. But remember where someone is coming from. I don't think any of the doctors have a monopoly on the truth in this.

if my doctor was selling me the Alinia himself, then I'd be worried. In the meantime, I'm taking this damned poison.....hoping it puts me ahead.

Look, please understand, I'm not defending or trying to criticize any one position on this.....we all have a lot to be angry about.

mandy614
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mandy614     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maria

I went through the drug company, they sent me one bottle based on the fact at the time I had no insurance but I do now. Not sure if 15 days will do anything or not, but if we do in fact have parasites this med should help us.

Posts: 348 | From maryland | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Venice, i agree with your post. I have received different opinions from different docs with regard to what meds to take & what works & what doesn't. it is terribly frustating & expensive & confusing.

Problem is, imo, no one knows what works & what doesn't work. Hell, no one really knows if what i have is LD or something else.

And we, as the patients, keep taking these abx which, at a minimum are rough on our bodies, and may be poision long term, because we have no choice. Everyone here wants to get better.

Sucks to have LD.

Posts: 213 | From ohio | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael_Venice:

I also think it's primarily for babesia, with some doctors believing that it's a cyst-buster as well.

Michael: Yep, that was my understanding of what Alinia is being used for in Lyme patients.

I replied to Electrolite's post out of concern if what his ND says is in fact true...That Romark is promoting it as a "cure-all" for Lyme.

What we do know: Alinia is an antiprotozoal agent approved by the FDA for treating certain intestinal parasites.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/consumerinfo/druginfo/alinia.htm

http://www.romark.com/pdf/Alinia.pdf

As an antiprotozoal, it's not a stretch if LLMDs are finding Alinia helpful for treating Babesia and/or as yet unidentified protozoa.

Given Fry Lab's recent discovery of a protozoal "mystery bug", it seems highly probable that Alinia could be a useful drug for many chronic Lyme patients even if we don't know exactly how it helps.

Isn't it also unknown exactly how Flagyl and Tindamax work as cyst-busters? Another example of not needing to know exactly HOW a drug works to find that it tends to improve symptoms by killing something keeping us sick.

Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Question:
-has anyone taken it and NOT had bright yellow urine or had your urine stop being artificially colored after a while?

-was it Alinia or the generic that you were taking

-has anyone found a reputable overseas source of it?

I'm taking some generic from India that a friend bought for me (it's actually quite cheap from overseas now that it's available in generic).

I'm just wondering if it might be counterfeit (unlikely given where it was bought and who bought it for me), since my pee isn't really turn bright yellow anymore.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

electrolite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for electrolite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's helping some of you, then that's great. I hope it does if you're taking it. I'm sure we all have some sort of parasitic infections along with the Lyme, so it's good to get rid of those too.

--------------------
I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease in August 2007, but I now feel it was a misdiagnosis. I was finally properly diagnosed with Chemical Sensitivity in February 2011. My life has changed drastically since then.

Posts: 128 | From Dallas, Texas | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

OK, I think it's becoming clear to me that the days that I take it I feel like crap. Really. I wasn't totally sure before.

Is that happening to others? Did it abate as time went by or you got healthier?

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

maria,

in what way do you feel bad?

I often feel pretty bad when I take it.

MariaA
Member # 9128

Stupid and tired and distinctly emotionally 'flat' (which some other drugs have done to me, anytime I've been on Mepron and Biaxin for a long time without one day off)

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Jill E.
Member # 9121

I'm only on day five of Alinia (combined with Biaxin) but developed stomach pain, loss of appetite and mild nausea, with intermittent mild headache and fatigue ever since starting it. I looked up typical adverse reactions and all of these are listed as common, so I will stick it out.

This is my first drug for Babesia so I have years of the critters to kill off.

Jill

--------------------

Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

bumping
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

What dosage are you all taking?
MariaA
Member # 9128

1000 mg twice a day, for 2 or 3 of weeks at a time, with a few days' break, this cycle is supposed to be repeated for a few months.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Jill E.
Member # 9121

I'm taking 500 mg. twice a day, no breaks. Wow, Maria, no wonder you're getting a strong reaction, although I have heard others being prescribed that dosage.

My LLMD knows I'm super-sensitive to everything and we always have to start at teeny doses and have me ramp up, even though it gives the pathogens too much of a heads-up of the treatment, which isn't good.

Jill

--------------------

chris_s
Member # 19888

I am on 500mg 3 times a day.
cottonbrain
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maia, don't feel alone -- alinia affected me the same way.

i took it for one month, three times. I never got used to it. I don't know if it helped or not but i am so happy to be off it.

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chris_s
Member # 19888

i find it very easy to take. not to offend those that have problems with it, but in relation to other meds we are subjected to, this is a no-brainer.
jam338
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jam338     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maria, I was on it for one month. I really don't recall it making my pee neon yellow. I think I would recall something like that if it had happened. Mine was from a USA pharmacy (Costco).
Posts: 495 | From SF Bay area, CA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

thanks for that info, I was wondering. I think other stuff that supposedly colors people's urine doens't seem to affect mine all that much. I do drink a TON of water so maybe it's diluted compared to someone else's water intake.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael-
Alinia, huh? Yes, it Must be "kind of a new thing". Never heard of it, & I'd discussed latest treatments w/ my LLND a couple months ago.

FIGURES the West Coast is into it sooner.
Mind explaining what it is? An Rx? What is it Made from?

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

Kete,

It's an anti-parasitic drug. Directed at Babesia, some doctors believe it's also a cyst-buster. It seems to be gaining some traction as something doctors are trying more and more.

I'm early in on it. It's been rough, but who knows, it might not be the medication, it might just be the illnesses. I never know.

As far as what it's made from, I'm not sure. From the price, if I had to guess, it's made from gold, titanium and diamond dust.

mandy614
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16524

Day #4 Alinia. Extreme fatigue and GI issues. Also on mepron, biaxin, bicillin. Debating on whether to stop this as I cannot keep my eyes open and am walking zombie!

Anyone know if this fatigue is a sign of babs herx, or a drug side effect? Also, I only have a two week supply. Does it make sense to take it for only two weeks?

Thxs
Mandy

Jill E.
Member # 9121

Mandy,

My first four or five days were the toughest in terms of really bad GI pain, mild nausea, headache, loss of appetite etc. Then I kind of acclimated to it (I'm on Biaxin too which is tough on me too).

I went off everything for a couple of days because I couldn't tell if I was having an allergic reaction or herx - rash, trouble breathing, red ear, etc., but I'm back on at half a dose, ramping up, keeping Benadryl nearby- talked to both my internist and LLMD, who don't think it was an allergic reaction, but I'm very sensitive.

Mandy, let us know if you start feeling better as you acclimate or what. I'm feeling profoundly fatigued again today so like you, I don't know if it's herx or medication.

Jill

--------------------

Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Mine just came in the mail from Canada drugs and says Nitazet (500mg tabs) from Glenmark Pharmacueticals. Is this what you all are taking?

I think I am supposed to take 500mg 2x daily. Did all of you start all at once or build up?

I am already on 200mg Minocin daily and 250mg Zith daily, artemisia 3x daily and herbs.

Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Bumping.
mandy614
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16524

Myco

The non generic version is Romark Pharmaceuticals called nitazoxanide. I have 500mg tabs. I find it odd they only manufacturer this drug and no other ones.

www.romark.com

I started at 1,000mg a day. So started all at once.

Jill E.
Member # 9121

I ramped up but was able to ramp up quickly. I always start low on any drug, herb, homeopathy, etc. because I'm sensitive. But Alinia was pretty easy for me to get to the dose, although it has been hard on my GI tract.

Jill

--------------------

mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myco, so you order from canada... and spend $700 for a month supply? Does one need a prescription?
Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

I was initially supposed to take 1/2 500 mg, 3x a day.

The first week, I did that, no real problems.

After the second week, though, it seemed like it got harder to tolerate. I'd 'herx' or whatever pretty fast. My legs hurt real bad, within 2 hours, and felt rotten otherwise too. More than rotten, honestly.

I never know, though. Is it the med or the illness?

I'm taking the 1/2 500 mg 2x a day now. I've skipped it a few days when I felt really bad.

Since I started it, the night sweats are way down, and the heart pounding has been less. The night sweats come back immediately if I skip a day. And....my heart's been pounding some more this week, which is upsetting/discouraging.

mandy614
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16524

Same here, heart pounding non existent anymore. Never had sweats, at least night sweats.

It is hurting my stomach the most like Jill, but am feeling as if maybe it is starting to clear my brain a bit when I'm not so exhausted from taking it.

How long is everyone supposed to be taking this drug? I have a 15 day supply.

mojoe128
Member # 20182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojoe128   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a new poster to this forum but have been
watching it for a year or more.

I figured i would hop into this discussion. I just started taking Alinia(500mg 2x) about a week ago.

I have
tolerated it better than most of the antibiotics i have taken(mino,zith,doxy) I was taking them
for lyme/mystery bug.

It turns out after taking
this that i also have(had hopefully) stomach parasites.

Posts: 9 | From PA USA | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojoe,

Welcome to LymeNet!

[hi]

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Oh, my, gosh, the herxing just began. I had been tolerating Alinia reasonably well except GI issues.

But now I've got that horrible rocking boat sensation like I did on Rifampin, had a horrible night of twitching, myoclonus, etc.

Does anyone know if Babesia has a flare cycle? I know Lyme is supposed to flare every 28-days but I've never been one to wax and wane.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a cyst-busting or Babesia reaction.

Wouldn't you know this hit just when I finally got some work to try to pay off a fraction of my medical bills. I had to scale back to half a dose this morning so I could function at least a little.

Jill

--------------------

mandy614
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16524

Jill

I'm no expert but sounds like lyme cyst busting to me... babs doesn't usually cause twitching, myoclonus isn't that usually bart or lyme?

I hope you are feeling better. My gut is even worse since I just added artemisinin in.

For babs I'm taking alinia, bactrim, art, mepron. Trying to hit it hard without killing myself!

Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

I wonder what makes it rough for me. Some days, not so bad....other times, just an hour or so after I take it....I feel real bad. Herx-like, though, I still don't understand 'herxing' from a blood parasite (babesia). Not supposed to happen, according to the premise....but SOMETHING is going on.

It's not TOO bad on my stomach, compared to some abx....

Hang in there Jill (and everyone else)

Jill E.
Member # 9121

Thanks, Mandy and Michael.

I'm about to take my nighttime dose and will hope for the best.

Yes, I guess maybe it's busting cysts for me because I've always associated my terrible myoclonus with Bartonella, which I'm still positive for after years of treatment. But this is definitely stirring things up! I'm also on Biaxin so maybe that is stirring up Bart a little.

One of my LLMDs thinks that any of these diseases can cause a herx reaction, not just Lyme. I'm just starting Babs treatment, but I can vouch for the fact that I herxed like crazy on Bartonella treatment. So maybe, Michael, there is a Babesia herx as part of this.

Take care,
Jill

--------------------

MariaA
Member # 9128

all babesia meds seem to cause temporary worsening of symptoms. I know, it's not supposed to be a 'herx' . But it still seems to happen.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Michael_Venice
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17254

Maria,

would you mind defining "temporary" to me....

I'm making a joke, but....your probably know what I mean.

Jill E.
Member # 9121

My herx went away pretty quickly. I think my backing down the dose for a day helped.

One doctor told me the other day that Alinia is anti-viral as well as being a very broad spectrum anti-microbial. That would be nice if it hit some viruses as well as the parasites/Babs. Anyone else hear this?

Jill

--------------------

SLOTHLOVE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOTHLOVE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you all seem like you've been rx'd it for long periods of time....

i've been having GI probs but my LLMD just gave me (a week ago) 3 days rx of alinia at 2x/day. would this really do anything? i didn't ask but perhaps he was just seeing if i could tolerate it?

either way i ended up in the ER last saturday night with stomach/right lower ab pain.

Posts: 148 | From Berkshire County, MA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

St. John,

I don't know how long I'm supposed to be on it. Two of my Lyme friends got horrendous GI problems on it - very bad diarrhea to the point of not being able to leave the house.

I don't know if that means it's working as an anti-parasitic or if it means it's just not being tolerated, but it obviously hits the GI tract (I guess that's where a lot of parasites are). But ending up in the ER isn't a good thing!

One of my friends toughed it out but refuses to go on it again, one went off it and considers it intolerable.

I do know the GI pain I had the first several days had me wondering whether I'd be able to get through this, although in my case, it eventually calmed down. But I did try a few things like reflux medication, mastic gum, etc.

Jill

--------------------

TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill E., my lyme doc says that babs has a 1-week cycle and a 2-week cycle.

He told me this when I went on babs treatment and reported to him that I was now getting sick every Friday evening and it lasted until Sunday evening--48 hours of just laying there not eating, not drinking, not talking, not getting up to go to the bathroom, in total despair thinking I would always feel like this. Then, on Sunday evening it would lift and I would go back to normal. Every weekend like this.

As we treated the babs, the sickness got less and less and finally went to once every 2 weeks. Then, finally, it went away.

So, I believe my doc was right.

It has been 4 years now since I finished lyme treatment and I am symptom-free, enjoying my life--the same life I had before lyme disease.

I had lyme, babs, and bart. Had these diseases at least 10 years before being diagnosed.

Never give up. I got well seeing a Burrascano type doc. The doc is the key in my experience.

I and all my friends and acquiantances got well by going to docs who follow the Burrascano protocol.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

TF,

Thanks for the info. In my short time on Alinia, I'm getting a sense it might be a one-week cycle for me so far.

You are an inspiration. I have Lyme, Babs Duncani, Bart, Ehrlichia and Anaplasma, and have been in treatment five years. I have excellent ILADS doctors - it's just that I've had a lot of setbacks due to antibiotic damage and my being so sensitive to treatment.

Jill

--------------------

SLOTHLOVE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOTHLOVE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh..sorry if i wasnt clear... i've had abdominal pain for several weeks...it was those symptoms that had me go to the ER...not GI problems from the Alinia. i'm waiting for test results for c. difficile now. hm. I'm not really digesting food or absorbing food. i feel i eat like a horse and i'm only maintaining my weight (underweight), not gaining it... i see my LLMD next week and plan to ask about the Alinia and why he gave me a 3 day rx for it...
Posts: 148 | From Berkshire County, MA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement