LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme Disease found in the CA Desert?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme Disease found in the CA Desert?
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to be MIA for a while but was wondering if anyone had information or article pertaining to Lyme Disease found in the deserts of CA?

As far as i know there's little to no trees or deer population.

I have read they are carried by small animals and birds but can't find any info in my search here on LN....And also how can they survive the heat?

Any info or articles would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks ! [Smile]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TO LIFE
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

What location exactly are you referring to. like high or low desert?

Hugs, Roz

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jblral
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jblral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ixodes Pacificus (the western black-legged tick, which can carry Bb) has been found in 56 of California's 58 counties, including the desert areas. (There's no data available for Modoc and Alpine counties, neither of them in the desert.)

Ticks feed on birds, rodents, all kinds of small mammals. They get around.

More info at CALDA's website, www.lymedisease.org.

Posts: 991 | From California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Yes, just as spirochetes can survive intense heat, ticks can survive VERY high and very cold temps. They are experts as burrowing during harsh weather and even going down into sand for the hot hours of the day, coming out when it cools down.

Ticks are even known to survive forest fires as long as they can burrow into crooks or hollows of trees, just as they can do to survive freezing temps

Anywhere birds fly, mice scamper or other critters crawl, ticks can live. So, yes, I have read that the dessert can be home to ticks - although not as many in number as damp woods or gardens.

Sorry, I don't have the articles you need but you might also, check out (San Joaquin) Valley Fever if you are wearing your detective hat trying to regain health for yourself or another.

I had that while living in Bakersfield in the mid-70's but did not know until reading this article last year that it could become chronic. At the time I had it I was told there was no treatment and no big deal but I sure got really sick at that time.

Had I known about allicin then, I would have hit that heavily.

The disseminated form is likely to be overlooked in those who have it.

=================

From The New York Times

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/coccidioidomycosis/overview.html?inline=nyt-classifier#

or

http://tinyurl.com/222up6

Coccidioidomycosis Overview

Coccidioidomycosis is a disease caused by the spores of the fungus Coccidioides immitis.

Reference from A.D.A.M.

ALTERNATIVE NAMES

Coccidiosis; San Joaquin Valley fever; Valley fever

CAUSES

Infection is caused by inhalation of the spores of the fungus, Coccidioides immitis, which is often found in desert regions.

About 60% of infections cause no symptoms and are only recognized later by a positive coccidioidin skin test.
In the remaining 40% of cases, symptoms range from mild to severe.

People with a compromised immune system tend to have more serious infections. Individuals with AIDS are at higher risk for pulmonary (lung) coccidioidomycosis, as well as for the disseminated (spread to many body systems) and cutaneous (skin) forms of the disease.

The disease can have an acute, chronic, or disseminated form. Acute pulmonary coccidioidomycosis is almost always mild, with few or no symptoms, and resolves without treatment. The incubation period is 7 to 21 days.

. . .

SYMPTOMS

Any of the following may be symptoms:

[poster's note, here: a very long list, surprisingly similar symptoms to disseminated lyme.]

. . .

Disseminated or severe disease should be treated with amphotericin B, ketoconazole, fluconazole, or itraconazole.

. . .

OUTLOOK (PROGNOSIS)

The outcome in acute disease is likely to be good. With treatment, for chronic or severe disease, the outcome is usually good (although relapses may occur). People with disseminated disease have a high death rate.

. . .

- Full artile - with much more detail - at link above.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jblral
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jblral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My blog, "Touched by Lyme," on the CALDA website, has several postings relating to the extent of Lyme in California. The following post summarizes a report on the subject I presented to state health officials last month.

http://www.lymedisease.org/news/touchedbylyme/66.html

Posts: 991 | From California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks jblral, Keebler, & To Life for your feedback....much appreciated !

To Life ~ not certain but think it's the " Low desert" ...not like in the mountains.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I saw a program on a PBS station today about badgers. They have ticks. Gets one thinking about the animal kingdom.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement