LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Newly pregnant, have a fever, thinking of taking Amox NOW...good call?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newly pregnant, have a fever, thinking of taking Amox NOW...good call?
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will keep this fairly brief because I'm not feeling too great today.

Sometimes at night, even before the pregnancy began, I will get hot to the touch from what I think is herxing from my meds. My face, neck, and sometimes even my chest, back, etc. will feel hot to the touch in a way that feels like I have a fever.

We don't have a thermometer, and I was putting it off because of the cost of the nice ones (up to $50), but hubby finally went to go get one now, though I'm guessing it'll be one of the cheaper digital ones, like $10.

Anyways, whether or not my temp will be elevated, who knows, but tonight and even earlier today I have been more feverish than usual, which freaks me out since I'm pregnant and I don't know if the drugs I am on now are helping the baby or not. (usually the hotness on the skin doesn't start till evening...today it was there way earlier)

I am only on Malarone and Biaxin right now.

I have Amoxicillin here though that is a left-over from when I used to take it (it was one of the drugs that helped me in the past so I am familiar with how I feel on it).

So since I have been pregnant from anywhere from 1 week to 3 weeks, and tonight I'm so hotter than usual, should I just take 1,000 mg of Amox now? I don't want to wait until tomorrow. Who knows what time it will be when I can talk to an LLMD.

And I'm guessing they might put me on Amox, but they also might use Ceftin or Omnicef (and they will probably put it with a macrolide).

So if they put me on Ceftin tomorrow, would it be okay I took Amox tonight?

Sorry, just confused...it's a weekend and you know how that goes....I just don't want to give the baby Lyme tonight. (as weird as that sounds).

Would like a little input if possible. Thank you.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS--the reason I want to take Amox is that I'm worried the Biaxin isn't helping protect that baby from Lyme....I am not sure the science behind if it crosses the placenta or what. I am not sure if Dr. J usually gives Zithromax more to keep the Mom's infection under control, or if it is for the baby's benefit too.
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi hon,

I am not a doctor, so I cannot tell you what to take, however, Biaxin is a catergory C pregnancy drug meaning there may be some studies in animals that it could affect the fetus or there isn't enough info to know if it can harm a fetus.

Amoxi is a pregnancy B category which is why they give it to pregnancy women, it's much safer, no known effects.

I can't remember if you said you are calling your LLMD tomorrow (Lyme brain, sorry!), but try to get ahold of him/her so that they can switch your meds to accomodate the pregnancy.

Here is some info on the classes of drugs, I'm a nurse but had to look this up, as I couldn't remember what category Biaxin is in =)

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoos, I'd just give the LLMD a call tomorrow. You could skip the Biaxin/Malarone till then if it makes you feel better. One day is not going to make a difference either way.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you should call the LLMDs cell phone. This constitutes somewhat of an emergency.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amoxy is the safe drug, i THINK. I think i remember reading that Californialyme took Amoxicillin for 3 years through pregnancy and nursing.
You shouldn't be taking any drug that affects a fetus.

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoosies - I got a fever when I was implanting. It went up to 101 - I did not know I was pregnant at the time. I took tylenol to reduce it. Tylenol is the only safe anti-inflammatory while pregnant.

I would not switch meds until you talk with your doc bc I don't want you triggering any more herxes than necessary right now. Chances are they will keep you on the biaxin and malarone but let's see. Talk to your doc asap.

I will write more in a PM later - at work right now and in a rush!

But implanation fevers are common. Just don't let it get too high, ok?

more later!

Posts: 588 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on the pregnancy, Hoosiers!!!!

Amoxy is the go-to drug for pregnancy... please check with your LLMD about the biaxin and malarone ASAP!!

[group hug]

www.drugdigest.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amox used to be the drug of choice, and they still use it a lot, but there is more movement towards zithromax and ceftin or omnicef, sometimes adding mepron if babs.

I would hate to see you trigger a herx if not necessary since you are already pretty much on one of the protocols - you might just need to add a cephalosporin and switch or drop the malarone.

This is where Dr J comes in. He will probably want you to treat the babs with biaxin or zith and maybe mepron - but I do not know how he will feel about the malarone. He will want to add a cephalosporin most likely.

I only say this bc I have been in close contact with him throughout my pregnancy, and my sis just had a baby and recently had a long consult with him. (She has Lyme too)

Posts: 588 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Thanks for all the replies.

Luvs,

Thanks so much. I didn't know fever is a common implantation symptom. That is a relief. Thinking back on when I might have gotten pregnant, it was either a week ago or like 3 weeks ago.

I had what was probably implantation bleeding and cramping on Thursday-Saturday. SO, it would make sense that this could be an implantation fever, since the fevers started Sunday.

The weird thing about the fevers is that one morning I woke up with them, which is unusual for my TBD fevers that usually come at night.

Even today I have them, and they started very early in the day.

I was soooo worried it was babesia flaring. Could be still, but now maybe not if it's implantation.

I called my LLMD and Dr. J today. Spoke with LLMD's PA. They wanted me on Zithromax with either Amoxicillin or Omnicef. Their first suggestion was Omnicef, but when I told her I usually respond favorably to Amoxicillin (I feel better on it), she said, okay we can do that too.

But now I am wondering if Omnicef is better?

She said there was a low chance of transmission of Lyme when I'm on proper treatment.

But, she said there was nothing they could do to prevent transmitting babesia.

I told her I have heard of Dr. J using Mepron in pregnancy, and she said, "oh, you will have to ask him about that then."

I am thinking I might still keep taking the Malarone until I hear from his office (they are supposed to call me). But I can't decide. I haven't taken my morning dose yet for today.

I have seen studies of Malarone used at least short term in pregnancy (from you luvs), so I am thinking maybe protecting the baby until I hear from Dr. J outweighs the risk of the drug.

I'm hoping I hear from his office soon.

I am taking extra folic acid since apparently that is necessary with Malarone (maybe Mepron too?)...can't remember who told me that.

Hmm that's all I can think of that I was going to say for now. I do have more questions, but I might call you tonight Luvs, and/or post them here.

I am still feverish and tired so I should probably rest.

Thanks again!!!!!! [Smile] Love you guys!

luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

You need to take the folic acid regardless with pregnancy - about 800 ius daily. I am glad that you are taking it - I meant to ask you about that!

It sounds like you have the bases covered... Amoxicillin should not be too different from omnicef or ceftin I would think. If it makes you feel good then I would stick with that.

I hope you get to speak with Dr J soon! Keep us posted and stay calm [Smile] That is the MOST important thing I have found (says I who landed in the ER last Friday lol!)

blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amoxy or ceftin/omnicef and zith.

I just had a baby and got a lot of info from the yahoo preg lyme message board.

Now, Dr J will give amoxy if you can't take the other two but he has been known to have a preferance for those.

My baby has had a rough first few months but he had colic and milk protein allergy which is very common in healthy babies. We don't know if lyme and co play a role or if the abx caused a problem with his GI tract. But, he did test negative at birth for lyme. I took omnicef/zith.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amoxicillin during pregnancy has about a 50/50 chance of still having the baby get Lyme from what I understand. Omnicef + Zithromax I believe is a better combination from what I have heard - far better.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Thanks luvs and blinkie.

blinkie,

So does Omnicef/Zith seem to have a higher success rate than the Amox/Zith?

And blinkie, did you have babesia too?

I do have babesia but I would love to not take Mepron during the pregnancy, or take it in really small doses, since i feel so horrible when I take it (I think it makes me toxic or something).

But I will do what is best for the baby.

Thanks all!

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Scott, we must have been posting at the same time. Wow....thank you for letting me know that.

I had no idea there might be that much difference between the two.

Maybe I will call my LLMD tomorrow and ask them to put me on Omnicef instead.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement