LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What is best for Vertigo ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is best for Vertigo ?
lymetwister
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19590

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my newest symptom. It seems to come and go on it's own, but today, it's been around all day.

I don't feel like I just got off a crazy amusement park ride, but I do fill very dizzy in a different way. It's hard to explain, but I call it vertigo.

Has anyone used Meclazine for motion sickness. I'm just scared of the sedation, but at this point, I will try anything. I saw an old post where someone got relief from Guaifenasin.

Thanks in advance,

L-Twister

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be the exception that proves the rule, but meds specific for motion sickness made my vertigo worse.

Dramamine, Bonine,and Scopalamine all made me feel deathly ill.

I used to fall over and hurt myself all the time when I first got sick; one reason why my first misdiagnosis was Multiple Sclerosis.

It slowly improved on it's own, but I am starting to fall over again now, 20 yrs later.

My vertigo was diagnosed with a test called Electronasography as being a "great left beating nystagmus", Nystagmus is common in Fibromyalgia (70%), and most fibro is Lyme, IMO.

The things that work best for me:
1. take 50 mgs. of Benadryl
2. get the neck muscles loosened up....take a hot shower and muscle relaxer if needed
3. don't ride in a car until it goes away
4. If laying down makes it worse, prop up pillows and sleep sitting up

I hope you get relief. One minute with vertigo feels like one hour.

klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I've had the same experience as Klutzo - the meds make vertigo so much worse and with a "hangover" for days, to boot. They also make me fall more, weaken my muscles and create bladder control problems (for me).

There are some folks, though, who see a miracle with one valium as it's known to settle down the inner ear. I did not have that reaction, but I do know of someone who is nearly cured of occasional "Meniere's" attacks - with just one valium.

There are many kinds of vertigo. The VEDA site at the thread below has more about that.

Are you taking any of these: minocycline, azithromycin (zithromax), or biaxin? If so, add NAC and B-6 and that might help.

Guaifenasin can cause upset stomach and nausea, so if your vertigo involves nausea (as it frequently does), you may not do so great with that. Although, Guaifenasin can decrease inflammation that might be triggering vertigo. But so can GINGER.

I'm really tired now so can't post specifically (other than suggesting GINGER and MAGNESIUM - and B-6. However, you might want to see this thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear L,

I had a major problem with vertigo and dizziness at one point.

I wouldn't try any of these drugs to "solve" it.

B complex, B 1, and SLEEP helped me the most.

Some of it was related to changing positions (like getting up quickly from a prone position).

What helped me the MOST was atremisinin, vincamine and huperzine-A. These last two are specifically for blood flow to the brain.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the exact same thing Cass A when it comes to dizziness moving from a lying to sitting or standing position and it's getting worse. [Frown] You said in two lines it helped you the 'most.' Can you clarify exactly which helped? Was it more the B-1 and B complex (if so what strength)? Was it a Babs issue, therefore you treated with Art? I'm not sure what vincamine and huperzine-A are. Thanks.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband had a bout of vertigo about 10 days ago. He took Meclizine and it worked within about 24 hrs. However, I don't think he has Lyme!

We think it was from a virus because I got a tiny bout of it about one week later. I'm fine now, thank goodness! His included vomiting if his head began to spin.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vertigo was my worst symptom before DX. In order to function (work) I took Bonine.

Draminine made me feel worse. We are all different so don't discount anything unless you try it.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get is once in a while then when I started on abx it became chronic.

Some may say that I dwell on it but I cant help it. It bothers me that much.

Ive had it for 5+ years and Yale basically said everything was a-o-k/

thanks alot YALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klutzo, I had

videonystamography

is that what you had?

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me vitamin B6 seems to boost thyroid hormone in some manner I've yet to figure out exactly, which in turn reduces the dizziness somewhat. Just a tiny bit of B6, like 25 mg, makes a difference for me.
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymeherx... I agree that this is disabling. My husband was incapacitated.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

thing is they wont see it as such/

I work, but only make between 300 and 400 a weeK!

Thats poverty!!!!!!!!!

orrn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orrn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a bad bout of vertigo a few months ago. I ended up in the ER. I couldn't even turn over in bed without throwing up.

They said it was peripheral vestibular neuritis. The gave me valium and phenergan. Worked wonders!!!!!

I left the ER hungry, as I hadn't eaten or drank anything for over 24 hours. I dealt with it for almost 3 weeks, but it got better and better.

That was the worst ever! I also had nystigmus, which was if I opened my eyes while having this they would shift to the side over and over.

That probably didn't make my dizziness any better. It was a horrible experience. I hope I never have to go through it again.

Just thought I'd share my experience. Take care everyone!

Posts: 239 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
electrolite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for electrolite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vertigo/dizziness is one of my main symptoms, although I do feel it has gotten better over the past year.

I took Meclizine twice a day for almost a year and was very dependent on it. It helped with my dizziness, my headaches and it helped me sleep.

I just recently stopped cold-turkey, and by a miracle of God, I'm okay without it!

I went to an ENT in November who said not to take it any more than short-term.

He said it creates dependency and your brain can lose its ability to balance on its own if you take it long-term (like I was). He wanted me to get off of it ASAP.

It took me longer to stop taking it, but I finally did!

--------------------
I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease in August 2007, but I now feel it was a misdiagnosis. I was finally properly diagnosed with Chemical Sensitivity in February 2011. My life has changed drastically since then.

Posts: 128 | From Dallas, Texas | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear SeekingHelp,

Ahh! You should be an EDITOR!!!

OK--on a short-term, handle NOW basis the best handlings for vertigo that I've found are B 1, B Complex, and SLEEP.

To get rid of the condition, Huperzine-A and Vincamine (can also be taken as Vinpocetine) actually worked for me, but it took a while.

Both of these are suppliments recommended in Buhner's book on Healing Lyme, which is why I started taking them. He says that both of these suppliments increase blood flow to the brain, and recommends them for cases of neuroborreliosis, as I recall.

After taking these two for a few months (they're both cheap, by the way), the vertigo disappeared.

I got some vertigo again recently--I'd stopped taking both of these suppliments before starting the AI drops. The researcher behind the AI drops prefers that people stop all suppliments before taking the drops. I thought I could get along without them now.

I had too many other suppliments that directly help keep seizures at bay, for example, and wasn't willing to stop them.

We'll see if the vertigo re-emergence resolves on the AI drops, or if I have to re-start those two suppliments again.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orrn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orrn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cass A,

What suppliments do you take for seizures? I have a friend that has seizures that has not had

good luck with prescription meds. Maybe something natural would be better for him.

Sorry to get off topic. Just curious... Thanks!

orrn

Posts: 239 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement