LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » help with my limited diet -- food allergies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: help with my limited diet -- food allergies
electrolite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for electrolite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have gluten intolerance and several food allergies: corn, wheat, milk, soy, peanut and egg.

I have chronic constipation and I have a hard time figuring out what to eat since my diet is so limited.

Plus, I have to try to follow the Lyme and yeast diets (no sugar, very little fruit, no floured foods, etc.), that it really makes it hard to know what to eat.

I feel like I eat the same things over and over again, and I don't have hardly any variety of foods for breakfast in particular.

I'm thinking about going to a nutritionist, but if they aren't LL, I feel like it may be a waste of time. I eat pretty healthy, I just need ideas and options to open me up to other foods.

Does anyone else have a similar problem with food allergies? Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for me? Any help would be so, so appreciated!

--------------------
I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease in August 2007, but I now feel it was a misdiagnosis. I was finally properly diagnosed with Chemical Sensitivity in February 2011. My life has changed drastically since then.

Posts: 128 | From Dallas, Texas | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter with Lyme can't eat gluten, milk, soy, or peanuts and is a vegetarian. I can't have gluten and avoid milk.

I will say we do not follow the Lyme diet, especially. My daughter takes Nystatin daily and I try to limit her sugar, but she still has a fair amount. Her LLMD, Dr. J, says he hasn't noticed a difference when kids eat sugar.

If there is a farmer's market near you, I suggest you go there and pick out fresh, locally grown veggies. I have started eating so many more veggies since I have done that. You might eat the same vegetables for a while when they are in season, but then new ones come in season, so there is variety. I have found that I like a lot of vegetables if I roast them.

I ate roasted potatoes with chicken sausage for breakfast a lot. Recently, I have been eating peanut butter on (GF) toast. My daughter has almond butter or coconut oil on her toast.

Two of our regular lunches are easy, roasted ratatouille over rice or quinoa and lettuce wraps with a filling of beans and rice with a little salad dressing and green onions. I did not think I liked eggplant until I tried it in ratatouille.

I hope this helps a little. We do not have a lot of variety in our diet, either.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you are going through, though I so far do not have an egg problem.

So far I have learned to avoid: gluten, dairy (milk, cheese - a little butter is ok), nightshade plants and spices (peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, cayenne, paprika), caffeine, alcohol, spicy foods, and sugar, all for various reasons related to Lyme damage/symptoms.

I have been dealing with Lyme-induced food sensitivities, stomach ulcer/h.pylori, GERD/reflux/sudden vomiting in my mouth on a regular basis, and hypoglycemia, among others. Going on this restrictive diet, along with some homemade herbal medicinal tea, has helped me to a great degree.

What I have found to be very helpful is traditional indigenous foods - the one thing that would be difficult for you with this kind of diet is the corn, which some would make into hominy before eating. It is a good source of many proteins once it is made into true hominy (not the store-bought canned kind, which is not the same nutritionally).

I would recommend looking into eating only organic, true free range, and grass fed, as possible, and incorporating (if you are able, of course)

wild rice,
forbidden rice (it is gluten free and high in protein),
beans of many varieties
leafy green vegetables like kale, collards, turnip greens, and mustard greens,
root vegetables like turnips, beets
wild greens and herbs like baby poke, ramps, cleavers, and lettuces (you can sometimes find at co-ops and farmers markets, or even growing as "weeds" in your yard or garden)
squashes,
cranberries, other dark berries,
bison,
wild caught salmon,
organic true free range chicken, (especially whole, roasted)
fresh good mushrooms (shi-take, etc. - the new word filter doesn't like that mushroom haha)
brown and wild rice puffed ricecakes

I drink almond milk, and also eat pine nuts, and cashews - not sure if that is safe with your peanut allergy

for breakfast you can try making your own granola with clean oats (there are kinds that you can buy that are not processed in the same facility as gluten products), dried cranberries or blueberries, etc.

or you can make your own bakery-type goods with a good gluten-free cookbook and substituting eggs and dairy, and using stevia for sweetness. I recently got a great gluten-free baking book that I will post the title of later if you are interested.

also I sometimes eat organic bacon w/breakfast, since I have hypoglycemia and need protein (and carbs) with every meal/snack.

I have a few good cookbooks of traditional indigenous recipes and wild food items, I would be happy to find those titles for you as well.

I hope I gave you a few ideas, I know how difficult it is, and how eating can sometimes become tiresome and even depressing to think about, when your diet seems so limited. One thing in our favor though, is it seems that, in the general population, those who limit their diet (within reason) seem to have increased longevity.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
electrolite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for electrolite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your suggestions, jkmom and nenet. You did mention some good ideas that I'm going to try.

I have also been diagnosed with H. pylori and am just starting treatment for that. I am also hypoglycemic.

I cannot eat beans because my body just cannot digest them. So I have to leave those out too!

But tree nuts are okay for me. I eat almond and cashew butter, rice cakes and drink almond milk.

The granola with gluten-free oats sounds delicious. I just found out recently that you can actually buy gluten-free oats. I need to get some!

I also eat chicken or turkey sausage almost every morning because I really need the protein. I just get tired of it, but adding potatoes sounds good.

Jkmom, do you have the recipes for the ratatouille and lettuce wraps? Those sound great.

Nenet, I would also be interested in those books you mentioned.

Thank you both again! Anyone else out there have their ideas?

--------------------
I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease in August 2007, but I now feel it was a misdiagnosis. I was finally properly diagnosed with Chemical Sensitivity in February 2011. My life has changed drastically since then.

Posts: 128 | From Dallas, Texas | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4Seasons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4Seasons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I make a smoothie for breakfast every morning. I put in almond milk, almond butter, canned organic pumpkin, ice, coconut oil, a little ginger, a few spinach leaves, hemp protein and 1/2 green apple, maybe a little avocado. It's filling and I really like the taste.

For lunch, I saute green onions, peppers, spinach, asparagus in butter and scramble in two eggs. Add a little salsa.

I'm new to the very strict diet, so for now I'm sticking to the same thing, though dinner differs. I got these suggestions from someone who has been dealing sucessfully with candida and food allergies for a while.

Hope it helps - good luck!

--------------------
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Posts: 450 | From California | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a low-carb recipes group at Lymefriends.com with a lot of mail-order sources for low-carb ingredients (like stevia) and recipes:

http://www.lymefriends.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the recipe for ratatouille: http://www.bigoven.com/157940-Easy-Ratatouille-recipe.html

The recipe for lettuce wraps is here but it uses beans. I make it without the cheese. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/BUSHS-Black-Bean-and-Cheese-Lettuce-Wraps/Detail.aspx

What kind of rice cakes do you eat? Are you sure that they are really gluten free? In my family, we all react to even traces of gluten. Not that I want you to have to give up something else. But if it is contributing to your problem, it might be worth checking into.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had an egg problem I would be dead, thats all I eat
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by electrolite:
I cannot eat beans because my body just cannot digest them. So I have to leave those out too!

Nenet, I would also be interested in those books you mentioned.

You're welcome electrolite! That's rough to not be able to eat beans and still get your protein. Another thing I meant to recommend is venison and bison jerky, and also smoked salmon. You can buy these online or make them yourself with storebought or online-purchased meats/fish. We have some gluten-free/sugar-free friendly smoking recipes.

You can eat the jerkys and smoked salmon as a snack, and you can put the smoked salmon in all kinds of meals, like rice pasta with veggies and pine nuts and herbs (a favorite), or warmed in the oven and tossed on salads.

It's good that you can eat tree nuts, they are very good protein sources - pine nuts are incredible.

The books I mentioned:

1. "Gluten-Free Baking Classics" by Annalise G. Roberts

This book is AMAZING. My husband just made me a birthday cake froom the yellow layer cake recipe and it was DELICIOUS! Even *better* than a normal gluten cake. He did make a couple adjustments, but he forgot we had stevia (oops!), so I couln't eat very much of it at a time.

You definitely will want to order the specific flours online because they make all the difference in how good it turns out. Night and day difference. She calls for super fine ground rice flours, and sometimes uses guar gum in the recipe.

Some of the recipes call for eggs of course, but some do not. I am not sure if there is a way to get around eggs in a baking recipe. Do egg beaters work as a substitute? (sorry for my ignorance on the subject)

2. "Spirit of the Harvest: North American Indian Cooking" by Martin Jacobs

Full of GREAT recipes that do not have eggs, gluten, nightshades, ground nuts. Some have beans, or corn, so you can adjust the recipe by adding soemthing that tastes similar and/or provides similar nutrition (mushrooms, pine nuts, etc.).

3. "Native Harvests: American Indian Wild Foods and Recipes" by E. Barrie Kavasch

This is another great book, that is full of information that has been lost to most people today. It tells you what herbs, greens, vegetables, and other foods are edible in your surroundings (or available in stores), how to cook them, and what nutritional and medicinal uses they may have.

Some great recipes for all kinds of things, from teas, to jellies, to stews, to "Partridge or Roast Duck stuffed with Apples and Grapes".

There are other books I am looking at in the indigenous foods genre, but these two have great ideas for my husband to start with. He has to do all the cooking etc. since I am mostly bedbound, and beyond that I really just can't be trusted with things that get hot/catch fire! I miss cooking, but we need to keep our house intact.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are brown rice noodles (spagetti elbows etc)and brown rice yeast free bread (i know vitacost seels them but I am sure some health food stores do to.)

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
electrolite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16404

Nenet, jkmom, azure wish and MariaA, thank you for all of your suggestions! They are very helpful.

Nenet, thanks for the info on the cookbooks. I'll have to check them out. I may ask you later about making jerky and smoking salmon. I've never done that before.

Azure wish, I do eat brown rice noodles occasionally, and jkmom, the rice cakes I eat are gluten-free.

--------------------

aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can try soaking and sprouting raw nuts before eating them. Many people who cannot tolerate regular processed nuts can digest them once they have been soaked and/or sprouted.

Some raw "cook"books are good to look at too. They offer suggestions on making green smoothies and desserts as well as meals--everything is fresh veggies and sprouted nuts. (Alissa Cohen, Ani Phylo, Matalia Rose, and Boutenko are some good ones to look at.)

We've been following a very strict and limited diet for the past 100 days (3 hours and 20 seconds--LOL), and boy does it get old fast! My daughter is so slim and petite to begin with and lost weight the first month on it--something she can't afford to do, since she barely weighs over 80 pounds soaking wet and is 12!

Anyway, good luck with it. When first starting out, it is hard to imagine being able to eat like this long term, but it can be done.........I hope it brings you success in your healing!

Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about getting rid of the allergies ?

You may want to access www.naet.com and find a practitioner in your area. IME about 80% of the time after NAET the allergies are gone.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement