LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Link to the Boston News Network's video expose about the Lyme Disease controversy.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Link to the Boston News Network's video expose about the Lyme Disease controversy.
emla999/Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A major Boston news network had an expose on the Lyme Disease controversy tonight.

You can watch that video expose on link bellow:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/chronicle/19196711/detail.html

[ 04-22-2009, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: emla999/Lyme ]

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the same show that they also aired in Nov of last year. It was very well done.

For those that didn't get to see it due to your location, it can be viewed at:

www.kettmann.com/Lyme

That might help to be able to write comments on their site.

Enjoy!

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this last November, and it is great!

Bumping thread up for others to view this at tdtid's link.

Ah, and emla, you might want to edit your title so that people know there is a link in your thread to view the show at any time they wish.

Lots of people might be ignoring the thread because they think they won't be able to see it when it airs/aired. Just a suggestion though. Thanks for the thread!

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DJP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a comment left on the the board by a doctor saying that CHRONIC LYME does not exist. I tried to post a comment, but it's not posting. Anyone else able to post?
Posts: 441 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nenet:

Lots of people might be ignoring the thread because they think they won't be able to see it when it airs/aired. Just a suggestion though. Thanks for the thread! [/QB]

That was awesome!!! Thanks! It was like a mini-Under Our Skin.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DJP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I emailed the web staff at the boston channel to let them know I was unable to submit a comment.

Everyone should be responding the "anonymous" Doctor who posted and does not believe in Chronic lyme.
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/chronicle/19196711/detail.html

Posts: 441 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a suggestion, but I believe we need to be commenting everywhere with the IDSA's VERY OWN WORDS in OUR defense.

Some of their OWN research and statements gives evidence against their current conflicted-interest guidelines:

"IDSA TIMELINE OF CORRUPTION
http://www.lymecryme.com/rich_text_7.html
The following was submitted by petition signer:

In 1992 and 1993, IDSA author Dr. Mark Klempner published two studies in the Journal of Infectious Diseases documenting how Lyme "spirochetes can survive antibiotic treatment through intracellular sequestion within fibroblasts" making them "among the small number of bacteria that can cause chronic infection by localizing within host cells where they remain sequestered from some antimicrobial agents" (1993; 167:1074-1081).

Or as he stated in the same journal"The Lyme disease spirochete . . . can be recovered long after initial infection, even from antibiotic-treated patients, indicating that it resists eradication by host defense mechanisms and antibiotics . . . several eukaryotic cell types provide the Lyme disease spirochete with a protective environment contributing to its long-term survival" (1992; 166(2):440-4).

Likewise, Dr. Raymond Dattwyler proclaimed in Reviews of Infectious Diseases 1989, 11(6)S6; S1494-8, "Lyme borreliosis is a chronic infectious disease caused by the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi . They [Lyme spirochetes] have been demonstrated in tissues obtained from individuals with high levels of antiborrelial antibodies, a finding that indicates the presence of immunity alone does not guarantee eradication of this organism."

In a New England Journal of Medicine study, Drs. Dattwyler and John Halperin (also of the IDSA) "studied 17 patients who had presented with acute Lyme disease and received prompt treatment with oral antibiotics, but in whom chronic Lyme disease subsequently developed."

These "chronic Lyme" patients tested negative on currently-available blood tests: "Although these patients had clinically active disease, none had diagnostic levels of antibodies to B. burgdorferi on either a standard enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay or immunoflourescence assay. We conclude that the presence of chronic Lyme disease cannot be excluded by the absence of antibodies against B. burgdorferi and that a specific T-cell blastogenic response to B. burgdorferi is evidence of infection in seronegative patients with clinical indications of chronic Lyme disease."

Dattwyler RJ; Volkman DJ; Luft BJ; Halperin JJ; Thomas J; Golightly MG. Seronegative Lyme disease. Dissociation of specific T- and B-lymphocyte responses to Borrelia burgdorferi.

New England Journal of Medicine 1988, 319(22):1441-6 A year earlier these same two researchers reported on "the clinical courses of 5 patients with Lyme disease who developed significant late complications, despite receiving tetracycline early in the course of their illness.

All 5 patients had been treated for erythema chronicum migrans with a course of tetracycline that met or exceeded current recommendations" (Failure of tetracycline therapy in early Lyme disease. Arthritis & Rheumatism 1987, 30:448-450.)

In 1993, Dr. Halperin co-authored an article entitled ``Recurrent erythema migrans despite extended antibiotic treatment with minocycline in a patient with persisting Borrelia burgdorferi infection'' in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 28(2 Pt 2):312-4. The title says it all: Even ``persisting Borrelia burgdorferi infections'' can occur, with manifestations as odd as a recurrent bull's-eye rash (erythema migrans).

Or as Dr. Halperin wrote in Neurology in 1992 ((42):43-50), "In many instances continued infection appears to be essential for symptoms to persist, no matter how small the number of organisms, as antimicrobial therapy is generally followed by clinical improvement."

Or as Gerold Stanek (also of IDSA) put it in the British Journal of Dermatology in 2001, "The relapses she repeatedly suffered despite initially successful antibiotic treatment could be related to the observation that Borrelia [the Lyme disease bacteria] may possibly be able to remain dormant in certain tissue compartments, thus escaping bactericidal antibiotic activity" (144(2):387-392).

Or as Allan Steere, guru of IDSA on Lyme, told the American Journal of Medicine in 1995 (88:4A-44S-51S), "Similarly [as in tertiary syphilis or tuberculoid leprosy], the antigenic stimulus in Lyme arthritis would appear to be a small number of live spirochetes, demonstrated here by monoclonal antibodies, which may persist in the synovial lesion for years (p.494)".

Or as Dr. Steere, wrote in the New England Journal of Medicine (1990 Nov 22; 323(21):1438-44), "The likely reason for relapse is failure to eradicate the spirochete . . . This last article is one of many studies that show continuing symptoms are most likely due to persistence of the spirochete [type of Lyme bacteria]." Indeed, many articles have been published before AND since 1990 demonstrating the possible persistence of Lyme infection in antibiotic-treated patients.

These studies have been written by members of the IDSA Lyme "team" and many other reputable scientists. And they are among the 98% of available literature on Lyme not cited in the IDSA's newest treatment guidelines!"

--------------------

Lymenet Success Stories

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5893

nenet, Awesome information!!! Did you try to post it? I keep trying. If I don't see this posted, then I will go ahead and post it when I am able to do so!!!
Thanks!!

I was trying to post the reasons for negative test results.

nenet
Member # 13174

You're welcome, DJP! I have been trying to post a comment with this info for a while. but it keeps telling me there is a word or words that are "inappropriate".

I checked and found "assay" twice, which I asterisked out (annoying), but it is still giving me the warning, and not letting me post. I did not include the website link either, which some sites do not allow.

I am at a loss. I am thinking it just might be too long of a message and it is spitting out that error message as a default.

Anyone want to take turns posting a new paragraph at a time?

I don't want to be banned for posting too many times by splitting it up into pieces.

--------------------

Lymenet Success Stories

nenet
Member # 13174

I just posted up to paragraph 3 (starts "Likewise, Dr. Raymond Dattwyler proclaimed"). I am going to stop here so I don't get banned for flooding the comments with my own posts.

If someone else wants to take up the mantel and post a few coments with a paragraph each from this, then we could eventually have the whole thing up and legible even to neurolyme sufferers!

--------------------

Lymenet Success Stories

nenet
Member # 13174

For anyone having trouble posting their comments - it seems there is a cut-off for size of comment, so try breaking it into separate comments if you have a lot to say.

Maybe then it will work - it did for me.

--------------------

Lymenet Success Stories

DJP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5893

Thanks,
I'll give it a try.

Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
post your comments!!
Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i did; cut me off too! over and over.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement