LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » VITAMIN D LEVEL VERY LOW

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: VITAMIN D LEVEL VERY LOW
Elizabeth Erin
Member # 13866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elizabeth Erin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
50,000IU SAFE ONCE A WEEK OR WILL IT MAKE ME WORSE??
Posts: 85 | From Staten Island, NY | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor likes to replace Vitamin D slowly using OTC Vitamin D3. It is supposed to be better absorbed.

He replaces slowly because high doses can cause joint pain by calcium precipitating out into the joints. He is also a Rheumatologist.

If you have joint pain already, you may want to consider starting with a lower dose.

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
50,000IU is a safe dose. It's pretty standard if you are low in Vit. D. Biotics Bio D mulsion Forte is very bio absorbable. I take 50,000 per week.

I have not heard about this calcium leeching out of the bones but if you are worried about that you should be taking Vitamin K2 to prevent it and also

from allowing the calcium from depositing on to your arteries. Thorne makes a very good product in tincture form.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me vitamin D supplementation acted like a weak steroid. Via research online, I learned vitamin D is a form of steroid. I also learned steroids are contraindicated in people with infections because steroids turn down the immune system's fight against the infection.
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Vit D was very low as well.

I took 50,000 IU once a week for (3) different 4 week rounds. Tested levels in between each of these rounds.

Also supplemented 2,000 of Vit D3 on a daily basis, and still do.

It took a long time to get my Vit D levels to start going up again.

Getting back to a more normal Vit D level has made me feel much, much better.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth Erin
Member # 13866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elizabeth Erin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this low vitamin D is adding to my problems....How long before I see results?
Posts: 85 | From Staten Island, NY | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instead of just the usual 25D, lymies should have 1,25D checked too. It's often high, in which case supplementing with even more D will likely only make things worse.

OTOH, anyone just looking for symptom reduction without regard for compromsing their future health, can consider bypassing D and going right for the stronger steroids like prednisone. If your symptoms are lyme-related inflammation, strong steroids will almost certainly make you feel much, much better within about 48 hours, while your infection grows much, much worse.

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TadichGrill
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marshall Protocol patients think vitamin D is bad for you.

Adding in D3 daily helped me over night and I would not go without it.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Vitamin D was 17 and my PCP gave me 50,000 IU twice a week. My LLMD agreed with that.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Vit D also tested low recently. He gave me 5000Iu to take every 3 days. When I got home, it contained soy, which I'm very allergic to.

I was then away seeing my daughter, so I picked up a bottle of Solaray 2200 iu's. He said that was fine to take everyday.

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Elizabeth,

Your Vitamin D Rx should make you feel MUCH better. I assumed your doctor ran tests so that he knows your levels are low - so you MUST get them up. Kitty's doctor doing this slowly seems good advice when beginning any new supplement - work up to it.

But, yes, your doctor's advice seems very sound from what I've read on the subject, considering that your levels are low.

From the link below, while he's not specific here, D3 is far better than D2. Be sure to get D3 - and sublingual is best. This is what my ND has me taking. On drop is 1,000 iu.

If you search this term, you will see many places to get it: "Pure Encapsulations Vitamin D3 liquid"

==========

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

From: NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS IN DISSEMINATED LYME DISEASE

J.J. Burranscano, Jr., M.D. July 2008

Excerpt from page 4:

VITAMIN D

Surprisingly, most people in America are vitamin D deficient. In the lyme patient, low vitamin D levels can cause diffuse body aches and cramps that are not responsive to magnesium or calcium supplements.

Some also believe that vitamin D is essential for normal immune and hormone function. I strongly urge you to have a fasting blood level drawn. It is recommended that blood levels be in the upper half or the normal range.

If it is not, then 2000 to 4000 units daily are needed for several weeks to make up for the deficit, and then a lower maintenance dose may be necessary, based on results from repeated blood level monitoring. If vitamin D is needed, improvements take 2 to 3 weeks to note, but are well worth the wait.

. . . .

=============

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/business/08labtest.html?_r=1&hp

From The New York Times

(Quest) Lab Acknowledges Problem With Vitamin D Test

By ANDREW POLLACK

Published: January 7, 2009

LOS ANGELES -- The nation's largest medical laboratory company provided possibly erroneous results to thousands of people who had their vitamin D levels tested in the last two years, the company has acknowledged.

The company, Quest Diagnostics, has already sent letters to thousands of doctors listing the patients who might have received ``questionable'' test results and offering free re-tests.

Typically the test costs $100 to $200 or more.

- full article at link above.

-

[ 04-22-2009, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth Erin
Member # 13866

Yes, my level was 14. The normal range is 35-100
Snailhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snailhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go slow with adding D. I started at 5,000. iu per day, and just felt worse and worse. I stopped it about six days ago and have felt better. Not saying you don't need to get your D up there, just start slow. We are so stinkin' sensitve.
Posts: 374 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with snail. When you try to replace fast I

think it does draw on the body. As a hormone it can

effect a lot of things. Including our other

hormones. Yes it does need to come up, but as

slowly as it went down. I sent my system into

neuro symptoms on replacement of 50thous.IU a

week for 4 weeks. As I was not on treatment. And

Dr.thought this was the only cause for my

symptoms. So please be slow and careful.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jrutty
Member # 20060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jrutty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two vitamins D2 (ergocalciferol) and D3 (cholecalciferol) are available commonly as supplements. A few years ago the first studies were released showing the ineffectiveness of D2 at raising levels long term effectively. Yet D3, comparatively, has been proven to raise the levels more efficaciously.

Studies keep rolling out, some of which say D2 is just as good, but I think these are rebuttals from pharmaceutical companies that have the doctors rooked into prescribing the pharmaceutical ergocalciferol (D2), which is what we get in the 50,000 iu pills from the pharmacy.

They can't corner the market and the doctors on D3, so it's likely this will be a topic for debate until the companies can pay the FDA to call D3 a drug.

Politics aside, D3 raised my average body temperature by 1.5 degrees F. It' s in the 98's now and I'm not dressed like a snowman when it's hot out. I live in FL, so having 5 skull caps is a bit ridiculous. I only wear them to sleep now. My doctor took credit for treating my hypothyroid with iodine, but truth be known, I rarely took it. I tried to explain this to him but he said it didn't make sense so I let him believe he fixed my thyroid.

If you take D, you can take your body temperature every 30 minutes and see some elevation. I don't know whether that means you are deficient, but if your temperature is normally low, then I would say it may be the case.

Lastly, vitamin D activates the immune system which kills critters which releases toxins which can keep us awake. I think this also changes the oxygen concentration in our blood, which can also keep us awake. Point being, taking it at night may give you insomnia. If you're having trouble sleeping and take it after noon, try switching it to the morning and see if it helps.

For those that feel poorly when you first start taking it, cut back the dose. Slow and steady, as with all supplements seems to work better. Jacking our levels of things we've been deficient in for years is a bit overzealous. For some supps taking 3 - 5 grams is the best effective dose for most people, but it seems to work better when those levels are reached slowly.

Just my thoughts, from a patient.

Posts: 22 | From Tampa, FL | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TadichGrill
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you start to catch a cold or flu and if you take extra D3 you can actually stop a cold if you catch it early enough according to Dr. Mercola. I tried it twice and it worked.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking extra D3 this past month, and I got a bad cold anyway. My level was 21 to begin with.

I wish it would help my cold!

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement