LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Spelling problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spelling problems
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man I can't spell anymore since I've gotten lyme.

For expample it took me a while to figure out how to spell Benjamin and I was writing easibly instead of easily.

This is scary. Anyone else having these problems.

Posts: 743 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do, and not only spelling but writing also. My handwriting has become really bad.
Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
losferwrds
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah its crazy, I'll type something and it looks fine or so I think, then look at an e-mail or post later after a reply and think did I write that, very strange indeed and it comes and goes with me.

Oh handwriting forget about it, there are some days I can't do my own signature on a cc receipt!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate the spelling stuff! One thing that bothers me is tht I was aways an English snob, like I HATE it when like there is used and it should be 'their'. One of my friends writes 'suppost' instead of 'supposed'! Things like that.

I caught myself this week writing since when it should have been 'sense'. It's like nails on a chalkboard. And I've re-read a few things I wrote on LN that I'm like, "Agh!!! I can't believe I wrote that! Improper English! I think I had some English nazi teachers in highschool...drilled into my brain, lol!

You are soooo not alone John!

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dopamine...receptor problem is likely.

Dopamine has 5 receptors...D1 and D2.

D1 = D1 and D5

and

D2 = D2, D3 and D4.

D1 and D2 work "opposite".(http://www.cell.com/trends/neurosciences/abstract/S0166-2236(07)00069-0)

Specific reading delay is associated with spelling difficulties...

Now...those two are linked to dyslexia:

"Dyslexia is a disability in acquiring reading and spelling skills that is independent of general intelligence and educational opportunity, and is highly heritable.

It is known that dyslexia often co-occurs with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and the 7-repeat allele of the 48-bp tandem repeat in exon 3 of the dopamine D4 receptor (DRD4) has been implicated in ADHD.

We, therefore, investigated DRD4 as a candidate gene for dyslexia by testing for linkage and association with 14 markers at and around the DRD4 locus on chromosome 11p15.5.

It is possible that other DRD4 variants, not in strong linkage disequilibrium with the exon 3 repeat polymorphism, or alternatively, another gene very closely linked to DRD4, may influence susceptibility to dyslexia."

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=15443066

"Dopamine-mediated intracellular calcium release in D1-D2 dopamine receptor-expressing cells"

See my post today for MEN...

HUGE calcium and sodium implications!

Note: my son had a reading delay and can't spell. He also has ADHD, learning disabilities, Aspergers and seizures that are triggered by LOW SODIUM. He has a hard time "holding onto" sodium.

As a consequence, his aldosterone and testerone levels are very high. (The body tries to make up for any genetic defects.)

(Aldosterone helps control Na levels...as does vitamin B6 = P5P which we use sublingually to prevent a seizure if his Lamictil isn't "enough".)

MANY neurotransmitter receptors are impacted by lyme, not only dopamine but also GABA, serotonin, acetylcholine, NMDA...

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What can you do to help a child who you think has a learning disability?

My daughter is 5 and at the beginning of school, they told me not to worry that she was turning numbers and letters around. Now, they are telling me that they have had enough time, and she will have to start marking the letter/number wrong.

I haven't made a big deal out of it to my daughter, but she gets upset with herself if she gets them backwards.........so, what can I do.

Even when she reads, if the word is END, she will start sounding out, DDDDD , and then she will say....no, no, no, and kinda smack herself in the head (not hard) and start with eh, eh, eh.

So, at what age do you worry? And, what can you do? I have mentioned this to my husband because he is dyslexic but he doesn't want to believe it.

My daughter is currently being treated by our LLMD with antiboitics.

Thanks,
Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeparfait
Unregistered

Also work on healing her intestinal track which will help her immune system and her neurprocessors. A good probiotic or yogurt to counteract the antibiotic and magnesium and and amino acids to help her neuroprocessors. YOU can make her smoothies. This helped my kids. This is a way to add lots of fruit and veggies to their diet as well.

I agree with Marnie's post, especially the low sodium connection. My son had the same problem, and eventually developed orthostatic hypotention and heat intolerence.

She is young and may get great results soon.

I would follow the autism protocol diet. Which is basically the lyme type low carb/sugar diet. I'm not saying she has autism, just that many kids on that spectrum get great results with working on the nutritional deficits from mal absorption, etc.

Even if you daughters blood work comes out good, all children with lyme have absorption problems, and the neuro things escillate over time because nothing is addressed. Start there.

Also, get help from you school guidance on possibly getting her on a plan. You do not want her to get anxiety about performance in school once she starts 1 or 2 grade. YOu can always get her off a plan if you want to later. Your husband will eventually come around when he has time to absorb all of this. Sorry guys...but it seems to me that some men with lyme are also in denial at first and find this harder to accept than their wives with their kids. Of course this all has to be done the right way. Your relatinship with your husband is paramount in helping your child and your family get healthy.

It is hard, I have gone through this. But I didn't know what could be done when my child was 5. I didn't even know they had lyme. You have that advantage. You will get great help now. Do not worry.

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look into an IEP at her school. My daughter had trouble learning and still needs extra help. The IEP keeps them in the classroom, but ensures they have access to special ed teachers who can give them the extra help they need.

Don't stress too much about it. After a whole school year my daughter still couldn't recognize the letters in her own name. She's in High School now and still in regular classes, still has her IEP, which stands for individualized education program. Her education is set up for her individually.

BTW, I didn't know my right from my left until I was in high school. At 5 I would write a complete mirror image of what I meant to write because it made no sense to me which way things went. In kindergarten my teacher told my parents I would never be good at math (I took 10 credit hours of calculus in college mostly electives) I also am a member of mensa. Go figure.

My point is, find the way she needs to learn. Don't try to fit her into the system .... encourage her to develop her own talents. She might be very, very smart, but unable to fit into the system.

Keep working on her health, too, as I know you will.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by keltyl:
I do, and not only spelling but writing also. My handwriting has become really bad.

This.

But just a few weeks ago my handwriting and spelling came back for a brief moment (1 day) after over a decade of being terrible from Lyme. My cognitive abilities are also coming back, verrrry slowly. Treatment is working!

There have been times where I even forgot how to spell my own name. Years ago I knew something was wrong but hid it, when I was at my Office Manager job and even forgot how to *alphabetize*.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may not believe this but, vision training and BIFOCALS in his glasses (at age 6) helped a LOT with the reading issues.

He was immediately able to hold a book STILL to read when he put the bifocal-glasses on.

It blew my mind.

Since he loves cars (transportation-autism link)...we ordered car books and magazines to encourage him to read.

Ritalin ER helped (very low dose!!!) years ago. He was on that Rx thru his school years. Research HOW it works to make the "connections".

We were told by a pediatric neurologist (head of a MAJOR midwest hospital) that kids with ADHD have a difficult time getting enough glucose to the frontal lobes.

Our brain needs an incredible amt. of glucose ongoing to function. In a jam, it can use ketones.

(Rent the movie, "First Do No Harm". It is based on a true story and stars Meryl Streep.)

Figure out why the ketogenic diet worked. That diet is very dangerous (kidney-wise) and MUST be under very strict monitoring.

Watch her folic acid blood level!

Is Bb locking onto our DNA and is transcribed/ passed along/does it cause genetic damage which is passed along?

Hubby's fam. is originally from NY...

P.S. I think the pertussis vaccine can be problematic...very. Adding insult to injury sorta thing.

Not all the vaccines are "created equal".

My heart goes out to you.

We MAKE more neurotransmitter RECEPTORS when we learn. It is the receptors that are vital.

We can eat all the nutrients in the world and make enough neurotransmitters, but if the RECEPTORS aren't functional, we're in trouble.

She will learn, make more receptors, but this will be delayed, but it will happen.

We used computer programs, Britannica Learning Center, etc. to supplement school. It was very costly. It helped, but still he struggled - a LOT.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had trouble spelling with my neuro-lyme. Some of my old posts have crazy spelling, even with the spell checker. My ability came back along with my word-search capabilities.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ralph Waldo Emerson never had to deal with Lyme disease. I'm staying on the path, preferably paved =)
Posts: 743 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes and I constantly reverse letters in words too. It makes me so frustrated when I'm typing. Sometimes I get too lazy to keep fixing it! But I like the work easibly, lol.

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TadichGrill
Unregistered

I am havnig no splelling probelms.
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my problem...
Spelling is one but the other is> I'll write a note and leave words out. And when I read it I read it the way I want it to be, but the words are still missing.

Roy

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this issue as well... including all other word/neuro problems. I have word block when I am speaking and can't finish a sentence because I can't think of the word I am trying to use. And I'm sit there looking like an idiot because I can't finish what I wanted to say. I'll reverse sentences and words around a lot.

It's quite frustrating for me and sad because I graduated from college with an English degree. English and literature was and is a huge passion for me. And that was only a few years ago. And yet, since then I've seemed to lose so much IQ as well as just typical brain power.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all have dain bramage, right? [lol] [bonk] [Big Grin]

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey TadichGrill, nice one...Lol (I am havnig no "splelling" probelms.

Roy

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is so crazy annoying. I bought a new dictionary b/c I just couldn't remember how to spell either.

Sometimes the dictionary doesn't even work because I can't think of enough letters to start looking up the word. Or I forget which word I am looking up. [Mad]

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

I have the same problem Steve. I swear I typed the word and it isn't there even after I proof read it.

I'm an engineer, my life is my brain. Scary.

I'm 39 not 90.

It's like Flowers for Algernon.

I do hope it stops and improves, but I have a weird feeling this is only a downward slope.

TadichGrill
Unregistered

My Engrish skills and thunking skills have improved greatly after the spirochete invasion.
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instead of new spelling problems, compared to years ago I now have a much greater tendency to transpose letters while typing. For example, "the" comes out "teh" much more often than it used to.
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TadichGrill
Unregistered

I have both problems and spell check is my new best friend.
bettyg
Unregistered

me too; i used to be an A student in english, etc.

now if i have typos, forget words, transpose letters ... i do NOT go back and correct it.

it's my new TYPE B personality; if it suits ME; it can be acceptable to others. i can live with it.

i spend enough time here without redoing and redoing! [Smile]

i hope you type A personalities will change to a B; there is so much more happiness in my B WORLD! [Smile] [group hug] [kiss]

TadichGrill
Unregistered

Betty if it makes you happy the cleaning job in my home is even below a type D. No real cleaning of any kind has been done for months. No type A cleaning going on here just some heavy breeding of dust bunnies and I am hoping to find a market for them and get wealthy soon.
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Can you covince my boss that I can hand in the Type B report =)

I'm all for accepting me as me even if that's type B =)

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My issues with typing, switching letters around, etc. did clear with treatment. I had severe cognitive symptoms .... I could not write in cursive until late into treatment.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have all the typing dyslexia and word finding problems that have been mentioned. I can type an email in 10 minutes, spend another half an hour proofreading over and over, and still send it off with mistakes.

Plus over the last year I've developed an inability to know which vowel to use in many words, esp. long ones.

I can spell the word except for the vowels, and have to experiment to see which vowel looks right.

If I try to write by hand, the writing gets smaller and smaller until my hand muscles finally refuse to move, usually by the end of just one or two sentences. Thank God for keyboards.

I notice I am using the words "thingy" and "doohickey" and "whatchamajig" a lot more, because I can't remember the real word, which is exactly what my MIL did when she was in the earliest stage of AZD.

I am scared to death, since besides Lyme, I've had a serious head injury, which confers 4 times the normal risk of AZD.

klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My spelling is awful as well. I used to be a great speller. I find myself saying okay, "what" w....h....a....t. More than spelling it is typing and writing words with letters out of place. I would know what is w,h,a,t but would type it waht.
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have alwasy been a terrible speller, reader and speaker. Lyme sucks! The good news is tho it does get better with treatment. [Wink]

--------------------
God Bless You! Everything..is just my opinion.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement