LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » To those w/sleep apnea...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To those w/sleep apnea...
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm suspecting I have had episodes of central sleep apnea. I've actually woken up a couple of times and wasn't breathing and had difficulty initiating breathing. I believe it was the fact that I stopped breathing that woke me up. It was absolutely terrifying and I was scared to go back to sleep.

Has this happened to anyone else, that you were woken up by the fact that you stopped breathing? This hasn't happened to me in quite awhile but I wonder if it's happening when I'm not aware.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laura there are a lot of things that cause sleep

apnea. We have had several threads on the

subject. Low thyroid is a place to start.

C pap machines have helped a lot and I have seen

people able to wean off of them with hormone

replacement. My husband slept in a chair for 2

years elevated because he refused to go to Dr.

for such a ridiculous cause. It did not matter

that I had to wake him 15 times a nite to tell

him to breath. He only got mad because "I just

got to sleep and you woke me UP". He is fine now.

And even quit snoring.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the possible central sleep apnea that worries me, caused by damage to our nervous systems/our nervous systems failing to tell us to breathe. I get the impression not much can be done if damage to the nervous system is the cause and that we just have to pray we will wake up.
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i use a cpap; started again jan. 09; have seen much progress from where i'd been earlier! good luck [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugagal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea after an overnight sleep study. I was prescribed a CPAP but was unable to tolerate it due to being claustrophobic. My husband says I snore very loudly. [Frown]

--------------------
My comments on this site are not intended to be taken as medical advice as I'm not a physician.

Posts: 206 | From Georgia | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugagal, it takes a LOT of time and patience..months for me to do it. You must keep trying as it's a life saver if truly needed. When I first used the machine in Mar-08, I had horrendous smothering feelings and nightmares when using the mask.

I used a Liberty Mirage 'hybrid mark' that helped me overcome it. I now use a full-face mask. Talk to you sleep doctor. There are options. [Smile]

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a cousin that has central sleep apnea and he uses a cpap and it seems to work fine for him. They can put you on oxygen and I think some medications can help. That said, I have obstructive sleep apnea and I don't know a lot about central sleep apnea.

Your chances of having a stroke are 400% higher with untreated sleep apena according to my sleep doctor.

Untreated, it is very damaging to your health. Weight gain, high blood sugars/diabetes, you can have edema caused by it, strokes, damage to your heart and death!!

It is nothing to fool around with. I used to go to sleep thinking I wouldn't wake up. I didn't know I had sleep apnea. I was waking up 50+ times an hour. I didn't know I was waking up that much. You don't get much REM sleep which means your body doesn't heal optimally.

Mainly, it is life threatening. If you think you have it, please take it seriously and get a sleep study right away.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have mild sleep apnea, but unfortunaly appears to be of the central form from thw polysomnogram. One year of BiPAP compliance has made no difference in fatigue. I think there's more to this and my sleep doctor may not be using all the right treatments. I wake up totally unrefreshed and it's disheartening after complying.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Thanks all for replying. I know that obstructive sleep apnea can be helped by CPAP and some forms of central sleep apnea. Worried about the central form that doesn't respond to anything. I haven't had episodes that I'm aware of in a long while. I always fear going back to where I was though. I am actually starting to wake up refreshed (knock on wood!!!)

seekhelp, sounds like it's time to consult w/a new sleep doc.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement