LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Important! Please read and Try to support those who support you

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Important! Please read and Try to support those who support you
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Icon 4 posted      Profile for John S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou B
Administrator

posted 03-14-2009 02:31

Hi LymeNet Users,

Our grandson, Cade, has Autism ... specifically he has Asperger's syndrome. Fortunately this is high functioning autism which refers to individuals within the autism spectrum who do not experience severe intellectual impairments.

We believe Cade's autism is due to our daughter, Lori, suffering from Lyme disease prior to and during her pregnancy with Cade.

Now it's time again for Cade's Crew to Walk Now for Autism!

Follow this link to Join Our Team http://tinyurl.com/ao32ud
Follow this link to visit our personal web page and help us in our efforts to support Autism Speaks
http://tinyurl.com/d35e69

*Autism is the diagnosis of another child every 20 minutes
*Autism affects one in every 150 children born today
*Autism is the most common developmental disorder in the United States
*Autism's cause is unknown
*Autism does not have a cure

It's painful at times to watch Cade struggle through life with such difficulty. He suffers quietly with the different aspects of autism that we can't even begin to understand. And yet, there's another whole side of Cade that is unique, lovable and totally unselfish. When we visit his house, we no sooner have our feet in the door than we hear, WHOOSH, a running sound which is followed by a giant hug which is followed by the words, "Hello Grandma, Hello Grandpa", said in rapid succession then, WHOOSH, he's out of the room again. He doesn't stay around too long for day-to-day pleasantries. He CAN'T. It's too difficult for him. He has made progress, though, in so many ways. A few years ago he never made eye contact with us. Do you have any idea how wonderful it is when Cade looks in our eyes now and smiles?

Please watch the montages Angela made for Cade. You may have to copy and paste them.

http://tinyurl.com/2l373a
http://tinyurl.com/3y8zoo
http://tinyurl.com/3d2xry

You can donate to Walk Now for Autism and/or join our team online using the links imbeded in this post. Donations can also be mailed to Autism Speaks using the donation form located on our page or send a check made out to Autism Speaks to Lou & Angela Bachmann
16 Willow Ct
Totowa, NJ 07512-1108.

Donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.
Autism Speaks 501 (C)(3) Tax Id #: 20-2329938

Matching gift program: Many companies provide their employees with matching gifts. Please consult your employer on its matching gift guidelines and attach matching gift forms accordingly.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for helping to eradicate this vicious disorder. Autism ... It has stolen our children away from us. These are our precious babies and grand-babies. We absolutely cannot let this continue!!!

Now, please forward this to everyone interested in helping Cade's Crew. Our team is going to do great this year. Don't forget to sign up everyone in your families. The Autism Speaks people want to know how many people will be at the event. If you live in northern NJ, please join our team and walk with us.

Love,
Grandma Ang and Grandpa Lou

--------------------
Lou B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 2105 | From Totowa, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Oct 2000 | IP: Logged |

Angela Bachmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43

posted 03-14-2009 03:00 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you so much, Grandpa Lou, for posting this.

It's been horrible watching Lori suffer through Lyme, and now with our grandson, Cade, wow, it really is painful to watch him suffer through the day to day pains of autism. Any of you who have babies or grandbabies know how Lou and I feel.

Please do me a favor and email Lou's letter or print it and spread the word. Autism is another Lyme-like disorder. What I mean is that people don't believe in it. We have to fight for recognition and our babies are lost to this horrible disorder.

One time I told a person that Cade had autism and her reply was that "that's just something that's in nowadays. It's the rage!!" "Everybody has it!"

I know you believe that sentence because it's been said of Lyme so many times to all of you. It was said to Lori in the hospital years ago. "Oh, Lyme is just something that everybody claims they have!"

Well, as we all fight for Lyme, Lou and I are fighting like crazy for our grandson and all the other children who are affected with autism.

This horrible disorder has kidnapped our babies...stolen them from us.

Dear God, please help them all.

Bless you, my friends, always
Angela
(Grandma Angela)

--------------------
Love,
Angela

Posts: 571 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2000 | IP: Logged |

bettyg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 6147

posted 03-14-2009 03:41 AM
how very touching grandma angela and grandpa lou bachman.

i look forward to looking at the links during daylight hours; signing off for tonight here...

--------------------
Treepatrol's NEWBIE LEARNING LINKS: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/29917

NOT CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE! Info provided should not be used replacing your personal MD's advice. Site links are provided for EASY RESEARCH.

Posts: 24642 | From Iowa, USA | Registered: Aug 2004 | IP: Logged |

pab
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 904

posted 03-14-2009 09:25 PM
Up

--------------------
Peggy

Posts: 2356 | From Woodbury, MN | Registered: Apr 2001 | IP: Logged |

Angela Bachmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43

posted 03-16-2009 02:00 AM
Cade's sister and our granddaughter, Jordan Rose, will be joining us in the walk for Autism.

If you'd like to see a montage of Jordan and get to know her a little better, here's the url
http://tinyurl.com/c342wl

Read about Lyme Disease and Autism. The parents of children with Lyme and Autism as well as adults with both disorders should band together and really let our voices be heard.
http://www.lymebook.com/lyme-autism-essay

Thanks for your donations.

Love,
Grandma Angela

--------------------
Love,
Angela

pab
Member # 904

posted 03-16-2009 10:17 AM
Angela & Lou,

Your grandkids are very cute! I really liked watching the videos, and getting to "see" you.

Good luck with Cade's Crew to Walk Now for Autism!

--------------------
Peggy

Posts: 2356 | From Woodbury, MN | Registered: Apr 2001 | IP: Logged |

bettyg
Member # 6147

posted 03-16-2009 02:33 PM
angela, the montage was precious!! got to see not only your grandkids and daughter, but you and LOU too.

loved the one of her in her wedding gown/veil at such a young age. best wishes raising funds!

--------------------
Treepatrol's NEWBIE LEARNING LINKS: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/29917

NOT CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE! Info provided should not be used replacing your personal MD's advice. Site links are provided for EASY RESEARCH.

Angela Bachmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43

posted 03-25-2009 02:15 AM
Hey everyone!

Thanks for your good wishes, but we're not doing very well. There's only 36 days until the walk. I've tried so hard to raise money. Don't know what to do.

Love you......
Angela

--------------------
Love,
Angela

tdtid
Member # 10276

posted 03-25-2009 09:16 AM
Hi Angela and Lou,

The montages were wonderful and so very well done. Good job, Angela!

You have a beautiful family. It was good to put faces to names we have been hearing about for so long.

I know many of us are/or will be passing on this link or letter and although many here are strapped for cash due to paying our lyme treatments out of pocket, I know that this lyme family does pull together in a crunch.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Lori and Cade and hope you will keep us updated on how the Walk for Autism turns out. Diseases that no one understands is something we ALL relate to here.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 1994 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006 | IP: Logged |

Angela Bachmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43

posted 03-25-2009 05:43 PM
I received another $25.00 dollars in the mail today!
That makes me happy!

Love,
Angela

--------------------
Love,
Angela

Tracy9
Member # 7521

posted 03-25-2009 10:31 PM
Is there a paypal link?

I have to be honest, anything that requires more steps than Paypal just overwhelms me and doesn't get done. I'd be happy to send a little something if you have a Paypal account.

Best of luck! My niece also has severe autism.

--------------------
Tracy / [email protected]

4.5 years Lyme & Co.
IV Rocephin, Bactrim, Plaquenil, Mepron, Zithromax, Actigall, Armour Thyroid, Cortef, Diflucan

"Today, I will let go of all obstacles to recovery."

www.lymefriends.com
www.myspace.com/spacytracy61

Posts: 2531 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005 | IP: Logged |

LisaS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10581

posted 03-28-2009 05:51 PM
I posted this in bulletins on myspace, I have 245 lymie friends on there. Hope it helps!

--------------------
***Lyme, the forbidden government fruit!

http://www.myspace.com/aloha6728

Posts: 722 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006 | IP: Logged |

Angela Bachmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43

posted 04-17-2009 09:07 PM
We still have a short time to go before the Walk for Autism and we're not even CLOSE to the goal we set.

If anyone would like to donate, you still have time either online or by check. See above...Grandpa Lou's first letter for details.

In the meantime, here's something nice for you.

http://www.lshs64.com/enjoytheride.html

Please, please help if you possibly can. Autism, like Lyme is something we have to cure.

--------------------
Love,
Angela

Angela Bachmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43

posted 04-29-2009 03:13 PM
I'm sorry to say that only one or two people donated for our Walk for Autism this Saturday, May 3. I'm very disappointed, surprised and definitely hurt. I guess our grandson Cade and my husband both are not that important to you.

Lou is always there for you--even when he should be in bed relaxing. He finds Lyme Disease to be so totally important and does a good job of helping each and every one of you. Now we both asked a favor and, obviously, we know where we stand in your eyes.

I'm not going to work with LymeNet anymore because there's too much hurt in the memories of Lori's pain and now this disappointment.

If Lou would like to continue working with LymeNet, I guess I can't stop him. But maybe a nice thing for all of you to do would be to tell him to relax and get off the computer and start thinking of himself once in awhile.

Here's Lou's personal page for the Autism Walk if you want to send in a little donation.

http://tinyurl.com/d24tud

--------------------
Love,
Angela

bettyg
Member # 6147

posted 04-29-2009 04:15 PM
Angela,

Happy belated 65th birthday to you!
I just read your note above about feeling very blue,
which I didn't know about without your clue.

I'm so sorry there have been just a few
donations for your austism walk;
I guess most of you just like to talk.

Now I know what to do
so I'll write you my check just for Lou and YOU!

Now you can be happy and exclaim WOO HOO!!
instead of saying to us PU!

an original by BettyG

Here's to healthier and happier years for you, Angela, Lou, Lori, and your precious grandchildren.

Angela, our taxes were just finished the day before deadline, and I always wait to see how we come out as last year we were hit big time of owing plus a quarterly payment on top of all this.

This year we lucked out with all our quarterly payments and have refunds from state and federal coming back.

So Angela and Lou, look for a $25 check from me; I'll get it mailed still today; our mailman has been here already.

I'm sorry I'm late, but LATE is the only way I know now after 39 years of chronic lyme.

Thanks Angela for writing from your gut and telling it like it is. You touched my heart, and I felt so guilty for not doing something earlier.

Yes, Lou devotes ungodly hours here I know at the expense of his heart health. He's helped me tremendously over the years. We share many of the same hours here.

You and I have talked briefly only since when I came here almost 5 years ago, you weren't posting or rarely so I haven't gotten to know you Angela as I have Lou.

THANK YOU BOTH for all that you have done for the entire LYMENET FAMILY of your countless hours of FREE VOLUNTEER work as moderators and helpers to all who enter here.

May God find the cure for your grandson's autism and to all our LYME and CO-INFECTIONS of these horrendous diseases!

BettyG, Iowa lyme activist

--------------------

bettyg
Member # 6147

posted 04-29-2009 04:24 PM
copying this from lou's 1st post for folks like me who sends checks ....

send a check made out to Autism Speaks

Lou & Angela Bachmann
16 Willow Ct
Totowa, NJ 07512-1108

Donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.

Autism Speaks

501 (C)(3) Tax Id #: 20-2329938

--------------------

John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

posted 04-29-2009 04:57 PM
Wow this is the first I've heard of it. I'll send something. Why wasn't it posted in each discussion cateogory?

This should be posted everywhere.
Posts: 230 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009 | IP: Logged |

bettyg
Member # 6147

posted 04-29-2009 05:52 PM
john,

all posts are normally posted in ONE forum only since it duplicates or triplicatees the work of answering folks!! besides we have enough LYME FOG and know we've answered a question, and then NOTHING shows up on the post. makes us feel

there are a few exceptions, but it's encouraged to post in correct area for that thing.

this is about AUTISM fundraiser ... so it's not a medical question about lyme; not asking for a LLMD; but is a SUPPORT thing for the Bachman family since their daughter has/had lyme disease, and her son is autistic.

activism is basically confined to LYME also. so support is the best spot for this or off topic.

frankly, 90-95% do NOT go any further than medical unfortunately. they use that for EVERYTHING, and it hurts when folks are asking MEDICAL QUESTIONS, and all this OFF TOPIC stuff appears and their questions don't get asked.

these are my observations and personal opinions on this john! thanks for participating too john! any friends of yours too that you think of ... lou and angela would love this.

he was making phone calls galore when the last he/i talked to BIG $$$$. i wouldn't be good at that.

--------------------

John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

posted 04-29-2009 06:35 PM
Well for this one he should be able to post it on all the discussion sections in my opinion. That's probably why I never saw it.
Posts: 230 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009 | IP: Logged |

bettyg
Member # 6147

posted 04-30-2009 01:41 AM
john, i understand; it was lou's choice. hug...

--------------------

Posts: 743 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the first time I've seen it, too!
Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bumping it up
Posts: 743 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry Lou - this is my first time seeing your post. I've been away - running on empty (see above post about supplements)
I (like most I suspect) am maxed out on the credit cards - but I will send a check to the address you provided.

My daughter is in a Masters Program in Communicative Disorders. She has Lyme also. Her research paper is on the Lyme-Autism connection. Her enthusiasm has been infectious and I have been reading and researching as well.

In a seperate thread I introduced the idea of getting flyers on Lyme into OB/Gyn offices across America.

People here have good ideas and we are all trying - in our own way to take care of others.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

peedie

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bumping up
tic chick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tic chick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the 1st time I have seen this message also.
Coincidently I made a donation at TJ Maxx yesterday for Autism Speaks.
I will be praying for you and your family as well.

Tic

--------------------
Adversity is the diamond dust heaven polishes it's jewels with. � Robert Leighton

Daily world-wide prayers welcome for the Lyme Community - every day at 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time and 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time � all faiths welcome!

Posts: 309 | From S.E. Mass | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good idea to move this to Medical
WHERE IT WILL BE SEEN.

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

I copied it from general support. I don't think the powers that be will come down on me for that.
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

If you read this reply to bump it up.
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Good idea to move this to Medical WHERE IT WILL BE SEEN."

Yes... the place it shouldn't be according to the rules... but it is exactly where it NEEDS to be to be seen.

I've sent this out by email too.. so don't forget that can be done.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a wonderful thing that you are doing!

My 10 year old son was born with Lyme and has Aspergers too.

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry- this is the first time I'm seeing this as well.

We can't afford to send any money right now- but I still wish I could have offered some support or encouragement before your walk.

Please don't be discouraged, I'm sure many, many lyme patients like myself are going to see this for the first time and feel terrible (like I do!), because I'm sure everyone has a special place in their heart for both lou and his family and for children with autism and/or lyme.

My lifelong dream, since 4th grade, even before I was diagnosed with lyme, was to be a special education teacher. Children with autism will always be a huge interest of mine, and will always pull at my heart strings.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
john, you hit the jackpot!! people are finally responding; thanks for getting folks' attention! [group hug] [kiss]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

I heard (through the grapevine) that very few donations have been received from lymenet.

Think about what lymenet has meant for you. Now the Bachmann's are asking for help with fundraising for autism.

It's easy to donate by just clicking on the link in Lou B's original post:

http://tinyurl.com/ao32ud

I just know that there will be many more donations coming!!

carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

This is important.

And time is running out. The WALK is May 3rd.

charlie
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...donation sent....
Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jam338
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jam338     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just made a donation.....hope it helps!!

To make an Autism Speaks donation: http://tinyurl.com/ao32ud

The donation site asks for the last and first name of the walker: Lou Bachman

According to the site:
Lou's Fundraising Goal: $3,500.00
Money Raised to Date: $3,415.00

Lou is very close to reaching his goal, can we help him achieve it???

Remember, we have a lot in common with autistic kids. Insurances brutally deny coverage. Parents of austistic kids need help bringing about change and acquiring help for their kids.

All of us can relate to medical hardships. Most of us are living with our own and may have little to give. Even if you can only give $5, it adds up and makes a difference. A 26 mile marathon starts with only just one step! Each step helps make it to the finish line. So become one of Lou's steps to the finish line and make a donation.

The process takes only minutes to do. It can be done anonymously, with your name, or however you want. You can also do a recognition donation. I designated my donation in honor of Lou & Angela's Grandson Cade from LymeNet-JAM338.

Our membership and participation here on LymeNet is free. This is a small but very meaningful way to say thank you and to help kids who need so much. Lou and others put a lot of time into the administration of this site for us. Thank you to all!!

Posts: 495 | From SF Bay area, CA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looking
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I just saw this -- I would have checked it before if it had the word "Autism" in the title.

I feel so bad I can't donate to this, I wish I had a ton of money to donate to autism & lyme.

I have 2 grandchildren with autism (lyme induced I suspect) and my daughter (who has lyme herself) runs an autism support group and helps parents find treatment & funding and she has spent much of her time raising money for other people's children to get what they need.

Meanwhile she is juggling a part-time job at night and still mangaging to be there to drive her kids to all their appointments as well as home-school her six year old who is still in diapers and the family was barely managing to keep the wolf from the door but now her work hours have been cut back and her husband has been layed off due to the recession.

I'm afraid this family is going to fall apart from all the stress and we are sending them money just to help meet their basic needs and keep the kids in treatment so my daughter doesn't have a nervous breakdown. I hate hearing her cry on the phone & she is not the crying type.

We are constantly dipping into our retirement savings to keep them going and I don't know how long we can keep this up.

If any of you out there can help a family dealing with autism in any way, please, please reach out.

Dear Lou & Angela, my heart goes out to you! There are way too many families affected by autism & lyme and much more needs to be done for them as well as fund raising for research.

All I can do at this point is send you my prayers and hope that others who have the funds will be moved to support you.

----------------------------
(I usually hesitate to share my personal situation but this cause is close to my heart)

A fellow grandparent of awesome, beautiful grandchildren dealing with autism.

Posts: 590 | From Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

i hadn't seen lou's goal earlier; thanks for sharing that too with us all! [Smile]
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

bump
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou I got a check in the mail today but when I tried to sign up as a member of the team to help raise funds - it would not take any of my password choices. No matter how absurd they were - it said that password had already been used. Has anyone else had this problem?

Looking, your daughter sounds awesome! And - you do too! Good luck to you and your family. I hope things will get better soon.

-p

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looking
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peedie, Thanks for your kind words & big heart!

Anyone who is interested in knowing what it is like for a family to deal with taking their autistic kids out in public, please read this article published today -- it is so dead on!

---------------

Article: `Obvious' answers don't help autistic kids or their parents:

By: Jenny Rae Armstrong, Duluth News Tribune

April has been autism awareness month, and, as the mother of an autistic child, I can attest that the general public's understanding of this disorder is not where it should be.

Disapproving glares, horrified whispers and rude comments from people who don't understand autistic behaviors are as much a part of the life of a family dealing with autism spectrum disorders as speech delays, repetitive behaviors and bizarre fixations and aversions.

And while I can appreciate how sitting near a family whose child is shrieking uncontrollably for no apparent reason could put a damper on an evening out, I assure fellow diners and others that any momentary unpleasantness they suffer pales in comparison to what that family -- not to mention that child -- is going through.

According to the Center for Disease Control, 1 in 150 children in the U.S. suffers from autism spectrum disorders, with boys four times more likely to be affected than girls.

Autism is ``the fastest-growing developmental disability in the U.S.,'' according to Dr. Andrew Zimmerman, director of medical research at the Kennedy Krieger Institute for Autism and Related Disorders in Baltimore, as he was quoted in the Jan. 27, 2008, issue of Parade magazine.

Nobody knows for certain what causes autism or why it has become so prevalent. Fingers have been pointed at everything from childhood vaccinations to genetics to food allergies to autoimmune disorders, but ``science has not yet pointed us to any concrete answers'' for the skyrocketing numbers of diagnoses, according to Zimmerman.

That's not much consolation for parents who are almost as desperate to find the root cause of their child's disabilities as they are a cure, who agonize over whether they could have done anything differently to spare their child a lifelong battle with a debilitating neurological disorder.

The whys, what ifs, and if onlys that haunt parents with sick or struggling children are more a function of grief than logic, but that doesn't make them any less painful.

Casual onlookers are sometimes quick to offer answers careworn parents so desperately crave: It's all the fault of rotten parenting skills, and their beloved child is just a brat who needs proper discipline.

One has to wonder whether these on-the-spot parenting experts think more timeouts would improve an autistic child's verbal skills and eye contact.

Do they think enough spankings would cure the child of their need to rock, their toileting problems, or their peculiar obsessions?

Most strangers and casual acquaintances are oblivious to the gargantuan scope of issues these normal-looking children and their families are facing, which is precisely why they should resist the urge to comment.

Given the prevalence of autism spectrum disorders, it is quite likely you will someday find yourself witnessing a ``Rain Man''-esque meltdown at a grocery store, sitting behind a child who won't stop flapping his or her hands and making strange noises in church, or trapped listening as some kid who won't look you in the eye gives you a word-for-word recitation of the latest episode of ``Avatar: The Last Airbender.''

When it happens, be gracious, and remember that autistic people and their families have as much right to be out in public enjoying their lives as you do, even if it makes you uncomfortable.

Plus, you could do far worse than getting stuck next to an autistic child.

You could be an autistic child stuck next to some crabby person driving you to distraction with their squeaky shoe noises, stinky hairspray smell, or disapproving glares.

That's enough to make anyone scream.

JENNY RAE ARMSTRONG of Maple is a freelance writer and the mother of four, including Jamison, her oldest, who has an autism spectrum disorder.

Posts: 590 | From Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<<<<< Bachmann family >>>>>, Thank You for all that you do to help us!!!

Even those of us who cannot give, can wish the Family well,and ...Pray, if you are a pray-er, for them.Pray for the goals to be met...for strength and courage not to give up!!!

My family has been touched by Autism too, way too many families have by issues like Lyme Disease and Autism.

Jus' Silverwolfy

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

bump
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not in a position to help financially right now, but believe me, my heart is with you.

I'm the mother of a child with not only autism but Down syndrome. I have another child with PDD (pervasive developmental disorder), which is a higher-functioning autism. My youngest was in my belly when I was bitten above the navel by a deer tick. Of course, he has Lyme, too.

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

bump
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

bump
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

=)
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

=)
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Plus, you could do far worse than getting stuck next to an autistic child.

You could be an autistic child stuck next to some crabby person driving you to distraction with their squeaky shoe noises, stinky hairspray smell, or disapproving glares.

That's enough to make anyone scream.

From an article posted by "Looking", (article above)

lad1121
Member # 20133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lad1121     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow!!! Lyme and aspergers linked? My 16 year old son was diagnosed with aspergers when he was 10 years old.
Posts: 21 | From p.a. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I frequently read nothing but activism and medical forums.

Could I suggest a different subject for this thread? Maybe Support autism walk, sponsor Lymenet moderator May 3. Or something like that.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

=)
bettyg
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by lou:

Could I suggest a different subject for this thread? Maybe Support autism walk, sponsor Lymenet moderator May 3. Or something like that.

lou, i agree 100% with your suggestion here;

this one says it all;

sponsor Lymenet moderator, lou b, on May 3

how about it john; would you edit subject line please; yours is too vague my friend? just click on pencil on your 1st post at top to open up subject line. thanks!

SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoSublyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou and Angela,

Hope it's not too late to help with your goal...just made donation today. I made it through the Autism Speaks website.

Please let me know if it's not credited to Lou and Cade---I did specify that with my donation and I think it went through okay.

Your grandson is beautiful.

Jeanne

Posts: 345 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looking
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13600

I just wanted to cheer on "Cade's Crew" as they walk for autism tomorrow. You go guys!

Thanks to everyone who is supporting this effort wherever they are!

And a big hug to all the families dealing with autism and/or lyme on a daily basis and praying you have the strength each day to cope with this demanding condition.

Go, Cade, Go! Wishing you much success in your life, buddy!

bettyg
Unregistered

lou and angela made their goal and around 1600 plus more and perhaps still coming in!!!! fantastic!!

thanks all above for giving and to the rest for your thoughts and prayers for cade and their walkathon today!!! [Smile]

bettyg
Unregistered

up for day crowd to see my latest post above this...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement